g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

2016/17 U/21 Fixtures

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Fixtures have now been released for the U/21 League.

United start off at home to Leicester City on the 15th of August followed by an away trip to Southampton the following Monday night.

A mouth watering home fixture with Chelsea has been scheduled for Sunday 28th August and although nothing is confirmed, I would expect that to take place at Old Trafford.

2/8 v Oldham Athletic (LSC) at Leigh 19:00
15/8 v LEICESTER CITY
22/8 v Southampton (St. Mary's)
28/8 v CHELSEA (1:05)

9/9 v Manchester City (Etihad)
19/9 v DERBY COUNTY (Old Trafford)
26/9 v Everton (a) (Southport)

17/10 v LIVERPOOL
24/10 v ARSENAL
28/10 v Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs Training Centre)

21/11 v SUNDERLAND
28/11 v Reading (Wycombe Wanderers)

9/12 v Chelsea (Aldershot Town)

9/1 v MANCHESTER CITY
15/1 v Liverpool
30/1 v EVERTON

6/2 v Derby County (St. Georges Park)
20/2 v READING

5/3 v Sunderland (Eppleton Colliery)
13/3 v SOUTHAMPTON (Old Trafford)

10/4 v Leicester City (King Power Stadium)
24/4 v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (Old Trafford)

8/5 v Arsenal

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...serves-premier-league-2-fixtures-2016-17.aspx

Last edited:

Leonard17

Fixtures have now been released for the U/21 League.

United start off at home to Leicester City on the 15th of August followed by an away trip to Southampton the following Monday night.

A mouth watering home fixture with Chelsea has been scheduled for Sunday 28th August and although nothing is confirmed, I would expect that to take place at Old Trafford.

2/8 v Oldham Athletic (LSC) at Leigh 19:00
15/8 v LEICESTER CITY
22/8 v Southampton (St. Mary's)
28/8 v CHELSEA (1:05)

9/9 v Manchester City (Etihad)
19/9 v DERBY COUNTY (Old Trafford)
26/9 v Everton (a) (Southport)

17/10 v LIVERPOOL
24/10 v ARSENAL
28/10 v Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs Training Centre)

21/11 v SUNDERLAND
28/11 v Reading (Wycombe Wanderers)

9/12 v Chelsea (Aldershot Town)

9/1 v MANCHESTER CITY
15/1 v Liverpool
30/1 v EVERTON

6/2 Derby County (St. Georges Park)
20/2 v READING

5/3 v Sunderland (Eppleton Colliery)
13/3 v SOUTHAMPTON (Old Trafford)

10/4 v Leicester City (King Power Stadium)
24/4 v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (Old Trafford)

8/5 v Arsenal
How often would the international tournament be?

Mr. MUJAC

There six groups of four teams.

I am guessing two English and two non-English in each group.

That would be three home games and three away games to fit into that schedule. I haven't heard anything about dates as yet.

In addition you will have Manchester Senior Cup and Lancashire Senior Cup ties too.

Leonard17

There six groups of four teams.

I am guessing two English and two non-English in each group.

That would be three home games and three away games to fit into that schedule. I haven't heard anything about dates as yet.

In addition you will have Manchester Senior Cup and Lancashire Senior Cup ties too.
Is it 6 games they play per group? On the release it said each team plays each other once? At least there should be more fixtures this year, which is good.

Mr. MUJAC

Is it 6 games they play per group? On the release it said each team plays each other once? At least there should be more fixtures this year, which is good.
No you are right...they only play each other once.

Given we were in UEFA Youth League last term it will actually be less games.

Not sure how that helps our players development...it's just a the same thing with titles changed to be honest.

Leonard17

No you are right...they only play each other once.

Given we were in UEFA Youth League last term it will actually be less games.

Not sure how that helps our players development...it's just a the same thing with titles changed to be honest.
But with the youth league, that was limited to just the u19s, doesn't this help to open it up to a wider range of player, in terms of age? The u18s could also supplement the team if need be, which would help their development, there could be loans/ sales in the u21's and there's the other cups they play in. It doesn't seem that bad for me, especially seeing as the original fixture list doesn't seem to have weeks worth of gaps, subject to change of course.

stubie

Leigh Sports Village is thrilled to announce that Manchester United’s all conquering young stars will once again play at the stadium this season.

The U21 champions won every game at LSV last season in front of fantastic crowds on their way to securing a second successive U21 Premier League title, and this year Warren Joyce’s exciting young players will be hoping to lift a completely new trophy. Renamed Premier League 2, the competition now caters for U23 players as well as permitting three over-age outfield players and goalkeeper.

There are some mouthwatering fixtures for fans to enjoy at Leigh Sports Village – and once again admission will be free. The action kicks off in August with the visit of senior Premier League champions Leicester (August 15), while the August Bank Holiday is made all the more enticing by a Sunday afternoon clash with FA Youth Cup holders Chelsea (August 28). The big north-west derby with Liverpool follows on October 17, and just a week later Arsenal bring their talented youngsters up from London. In 2017, the date for everyone’s diary will be the Manchester derby, with Manchester City making the short trip to Leigh on January 9. The full fixture list is below – United also play three games in the 22-match season at Old Trafford.

“We’re delighted that we’ve attracted the biggest name in world football back to Leigh,” said LSV Chief Executive Simon Toon. “It’s been really enjoyable hosting Manchester United over the past few years, and match night is not only a fantastic experience and atmosphere for the people of Leigh, but important in terms of bringing people into the town, too.

“We always say LSV is the perfect place to see tomorrow’s stars today, and there can be no greater example of this than Marcus Rashford last season. He started out playing for United’s U19s in a UEFA Youth League game here, and ended up being England’s great hope in Euro 2016! We can’t wait to see the next players off the famous Manchester United production line – and some established stars too. We’d urge everyone who loves football to come to a game and enjoy this exciting, talented young team.

Manchester United will also play their Premier League International Cup home games at Leigh Sports Village, where they could be drawn against the likes of Celtic, Benfica, Porto, Valencia or a number of other top European sides. Fixture details will follow shortly.

The games might be free to enter, but Leigh Sports Village is committed to offering a memorable match-day experience. The Red Zone Cafe opens at 5pm, offering a range of child-friendly meal deals and Manchester United prizes. The games can also be enjoyed in style from one of our executive boxes: match day hospitality starts from £25 per person, including two course pre-match meal, drinks service, first access to team sheets, parking and executive seat in the stadium bowl.

For more information on how to register for free tickets, fixtures, The Red Zone Cafe or our hospitality packages, please go to http://www.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/matchdaytickets/manchester-united/

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Last edited:

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Other than the increased age limit to 23, how is different from the previous U21 PL? They are still playing only 22 games in the season.

Why do we not take part in the Premier league cup and the Premier league international cup? Why did we decide not to participate in the EFL trophy?

@jb8521, @Mr. MUJAC, help would be appreciated.
We are taking part in PL International Cup and
The EFL matches are on international duty weeks that's why a lot of clubs turned it down due to potential shortage of players.

Mr. MUJAC

Apart from increasing the age from 21 to 23 basically nothing has changed.

We play 22 league games which is clearly not enough for all the players to get game time. In addition we will play 6 Cup matches...this is the same as last year when we in the UEFA Youth League.

So for that age group its basically just a rebranding. The fact that the FL have rebranded and changed this league about eight times in the last ten seasons tells me that people making the decisions haven't got clue.

I feel sorry for the 18's who have just stepped up like Charlie Scott, Zak Dearnley and others. They are competing with player 2-5 years older than them for places.

Over the last few years the younger players have virtually not played at all in the first half of the season. How this helps their development is completely beyond me.

In addition, United rarely indicate why they choose to enter competitions that are available to them.

This year was the second year running that the U/18's didn't go to the Northern Ireland Milk Cup. The season is nearly upon us and there has been virtually no competitive build up whatsoever.

I just don't get it at all.

Leonard17

Apart from increasing the age from 21 to 23 basically nothing has changed.

We play 22 league games which is clearly not enough for all the players to get game time. In addition we will play 6 Cup matches...this is the same as last year when we in the UEFA Youth League.

So for that age group its basically just a rebranding. The fact that the FL have rebranded and changed this league about eight times in the last ten seasons tells me that people making the decisions haven't got clue.

I feel sorry for the 18's who have just stepped up like Charlie Scott, Zak Dearnley and others. They are competing with player 2-5 years older than them for places.

Over the last few years the younger players have virtually not played at all in the first half of the season. How this helps their development is completely beyond me.

In addition, United rarely indicate why they choose to enter competitions that are available to them.

This year was the second year running that the U/18's didn't go to the Northern Ireland Milk Cup. The season is nearly upon us and there has been virtually no competitive build up whatsoever.

I just don't get it at all.
For the u18's haven't they got a tournament this weekend at Liverpool and then another tournament in August at psv/feyernoord?