2017 Confederations Cup

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Groups came out today:

A: Portugal, Mexico, Russia, New Zealand

B: Germany, Chile, Australia, African Cup of Nations' winner

I'm usually in the 'I don't give a shit about it' camp, but now that we're in it, it should be a lot of fun.

Any early predictions?

izec

Germany will win.

I am just happy that all of our players will get a rest and a proper pre season. (unless Bailly wins the AFCON).

Xivon

Supports
Bayern Munich
It is already confirmed that most of Germany's best players won't go and a lot of youngsters will get their chance. I'm really happy about that, I don't care about the Confed Cup at all.

NYAS

Portugal will win it. Andre Gomes, Bernardo Silva, Cancelo, Guerreiro, Renato Sanches, Andre Silva, Gelson Martins and even possibly Ruben Neves and Bruma, Rafa Silva and Guedes possibly is a very strong young core. Pair that with the experience of Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma, Moutinho, Bruno Alves and Pepe and they really should win it.

Chile have regressed since their double Copa achievement and Germany seem to take some weird sort of pride in not caring about these kinds of tournaments.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I think we have a good shot at it too. We'll take it seriously since it's the first time we're in it and any trophy for us is important.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
New Zealand AND Australia? What's that about?
Australia qualified from Asia and New Zealand from Oceania.

I don't think Australia cares about the continent they're in. First Eurovision, now this.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Australia are in the Asian Football Confederation.
Australia qualified from Asia and New Zealand from Oceania.

I don't think Australia cares about the continent they're in. First Eurovision, now this.
I bet that actual Asian teams were delighted it's now harder for them to qualify for stuff.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Really enjoyed the 2013 tournament, the final in particular was superb.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I know it is a bunch of glorified friendlies but, I always enjoy the Confederations Cup. Like a warm up for the World Cup.

NYAS

I bet that actual Asian teams were delighted it's now harder for them to qualify for stuff.
I'm from a country that was affected. It's a load of shite.

All it achieved was that it simply put New Zealand in the monopolistic position that Australia was in in Oceania. Literally nothing else happened.

Eila

It's actually quite difficult to win, as Spain found out.
Brazil is not playing it, though. Weirdly enough they would usually bring their best players to this cup and not the Copa America. Anyone else remember the Brazilian squads that won the 2004 and 2007 Copa America?

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

All it achieved was that it simply put New Zealand in the monopolistic position that Australia was in in Oceania. Literally nothing else happened.
I think it's pretty great :angel:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Hard group for Australia but hopefully Ange will get us at least to second in the group
Not trying to be mean, but I think you should be happy with one point out of that group. Second place would be a huge achievement.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Unless Germany don't send their best team I can't see them not win this. Portugal can't fluke it again and Chile's form have dropped a lot since Sampaoli left.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Portugal will win it. Andre Gomes, Bernardo Silva, Cancelo, Guerreiro, Renato Sanches, Andre Silva, Gelson Martins and even possibly Ruben Neves and Bruma, Rafa Silva and Guedes possibly is a very strong young core. Pair that with the experience of Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma, Moutinho, Bruno Alves and Pepe and they really should win it.

Chile have regressed since their double Copa achievement and Germany seem to take some weird sort of pride in not caring about these kinds of tournaments.
I think they've learned from the disaster in 1999 to at least take it half serious:lol:

Skorenzy

While you're correct in the former statement, you're very wrong in the latter... I guess you don't recall Tahiti being in the previous Confed Cup, eh? I'd say that's quite something.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Groups came out today:

A: Portugal, Mexico, Russia, New Zealand

B: Germany, Chile, Australia, African Cup of Nations' winner

I'm usually in the 'I don't give a shit about it' camp, but now that we're in it, it should be a lot of fun.

Any early predictions?
If Santos uses this competition to see new players, I am not worried about results, I want to see players like Semedo, Anthony Lopes and Pizzi to play as starters in this competition, it is totally unfair that Santos does not play them, Pizzi is having an outstanding season, for me the best Benfica player.

He needs to find a balance between this competition and the Euro under 21 Championship, and for me the key match is Mexico.

Hopefully we will stop using that 4-4-2 of last year and we will play better, more worried with the qualification for Russia than this competition.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Germany squad:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Portugal will win.
Depends on the team Santos calls up and if Pepe recovers. He's our second best player after Ronaldo and the pillar of our defense. I'd prefer for Santos to call up a team with youngsters and some experienced players. It won't happen though. It will probably be the Euro2016 squad plus Bernardo Silva.

Fenomeno9

Brazil is not playing it, though. Weirdly enough they would usually bring their best players to this cup and not the Copa America. Anyone else remember the Brazilian squads that won the 2004 and 2007 Copa America?
Brazilian coach saw it as a warm up for the World Cup. The negative thing about that was we usually win it and then the coach would get complacent and not try to improve the squad.

Blackwidow

That's so strange. The World Cup is 1 year away from next month. :houllier:
Just look how the teams that participated in the last ConfedCup played in the World Cup. For Brazil it was the chance to test in a competition as they only could play friendlies else. Italy and Spain did not get out of the group stage. It was no advantage to get to know the country and conditions in the previous year. I know that a lot of the players that played the competition had bad years and a lot of injuries in 2013/14.

Löw wants to rest players like Kroos and Müller that are never injured but like this never get a real mental break to get out of this circus - and others that often were injured lately like Khedira or Boateng. 3 tournaments with short summer breaks in successive years are maybe a bit too much - especially as the third of it is the most important.

It is a different situation for Germany than for other nations. For Chile or Portugal who have won continental cups but never the World Cup this trophy counts different than for Germany.

But I do not really think that this team is so weak. Remember the Olympics when a lot of this players only lost by penalties against Brazil who was the home team... For the German players that participate this tournament is a big chance for their career and maybe show that they are capable for a starting position in the World Cup team or atleast a position in the team of 23. The only players that are normally part of the starters are the fullbacks Kimmich and Hector. With Müller and Özil there is two positions set in the offense - but the striker and left winger position are there to advertise themselves for. And you never know who might be injured next year.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Depends on the team Santos calls up and if Pepe recovers. He's our second best player after Ronaldo and the pillar of our defense. I'd prefer for Santos to call up a team with youngsters and some experienced players. It won't happen though. It will probably be the Euro2016 squad plus Bernardo Silva.
I am not worried with this competition, for me if we didn't have the Under 21 Euros we should make the same thing as Germany, what worries me is the match against Latvija in June, and the aging of our central defenders, also the conservatism of Santos lineups.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I tried to enjoy 2013 and 2009

Brazil were decent to watch (2013) but honestly, I think the players should just be given a rest

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's a jinxed tournament so...COME ON GERMANY!! :lol::lol::lol:

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Meh, Israel would probably be sterner competition than Australia if all teams were playing in their proper confederations anyway.

The OFC should just be scrapped and incorporated into the AFC. Total waste of time.

Blackwidow

Ozil to have a rest, while Mustafi will play.
Understandable. Germany does not want the players to have 3 tournaments in a row - especially the players that were always starting. For Kimmich and Hector it just is the second tournament. Mustafi is part of the team since 2014 - but always just was a reserve player.

It is interesting that Brazil does the same and did not call up a lot of their first team players for the friendlies next month. Players like Rafinha from Bayern who has not been in the squad for ages got a call up for it.

Blind

I like the look of that Germany squad, there's a few of their promising talents missing but it's better than watching the likes of Khedira and Ozil phone it in.