2017 Pre Season | Barcelona vs Manchester United

prtk0811

Anyone would think the sky had fallen in, we lost by the odd goal scored by one of the best players in the World, big deal.
No , But we created little and were shooting from long range or threat on crosses. Mkh was in effective.

Parry Gallister

BLIND >?????? Are you serious. He was the best passer in the side....for Barcelona. he gave the ball away every time he got it. Their goal was from yet another Blind misplaced pass. We desperately need a quality left back. Hopefully it will be Shaw because he is twice as quick as Blind...or Damian, for that matter. Otherwise, we have to get in the market for a left back. And pray to God, Herrera's injury is short term. I would play perira in fronnt of Fellaini every time. He's quicker, sees a better pass and doesnt give away constant ridiculous fouls
Yep! Only saw the one half, but he was a stand-out for me. Positive attacking in the first 25, make some really good interceptions and tackles too. Can actually put in a ball unlike Tony V. Did give the ball away as it went on, but so did the whole team, and the earlier good work made up for it. Agreed he isn't the solution in that position going forward, good enough squad player though.

Hamadovich86

True, but we're more or less always going to have top players starting in attacking positions. No matter if some other teams have the same players, they won't be able to play like Barca. Because the cultural element, the philosophy, are not the same.
They don't have to in order to be successful. Different philosophies work for different clubs.The calibre of players matters significantly as well as tactical acumen of the manager.

AXVnee7

It makes no difference whether we park the bus or not to be fair, we would just be inviting pressure and the likes of messi and neymar are used to facing defences camped around their box every week in La Liga.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it makes no difference. The way we set up can make all the difference. I can certainly see where you're coming from and I agree personally. The reality is that no matter whether you set up to go toe-to-toe with Barca or set up to nullify them, MSN is going to be a threat. However I feel MSN are much more dangerous when they play on the counter because they that's when they unleash their most creative plays and they absolutely deadly. Not to say that they aren't against an opponent camped outside their box, but they rely more on individual moments of brilliance in the latter situations.

If we came up against them in the CL, I wouldn't blame Jose one bit for going with the bus and possibly giving us the semblance of a counter attack ourselves with the likes of Rashford, Lingard and Martial. If we bolster our midfield options and went in with a midfield of Matic, Herrera and Pogba, then I can actually see us potentially winning the battle in midfield in which case maybe a more open approach could be better. The personnel we employed yesterday just simply could not handle their midfield, with the exception of Pogba.

ijc

After critically analysing every performance of every player in this match it can only converge to 1 thing:
Grey shirts results in losses.

ike

Overall:
Happy with the loss. It's great to get this out of the way in preseason and really shows us where we have more work to do.
Makes me wonder how the game would be different with Herrera and Pogba in midfield.

Happy with the way Pogba stepped up especially first half. Thought he was excellent and really walked out on the pitch with something to prove even though it was a friendly. I wish the rest of the team felt this way.
Our shooting is still an issue.
Lukaku terribly isolated up front, felt bad for him getting no service. Which leads me to Blinds passing, very unusual game for him.
Felliani - sigh...hopefully one day he needs to learn he's always going to get provoked by diving, cheating teams like this and City.

Tosicsleftpeg

Feck me. The absolute state of this thread.

I enjoyed the game. First half we played well. Second half, not so much. Am loving Pogba this pre-season. Absolute monster.
Everyone is an expert as soon as we lose 1 PRE SEASON game!

Would think that we'd lost the champions league final by the way people bang on about it. Barcelona are an incredibly good side with the best player of the last 20 years in the team plus super stars like Neymar and Suarez. Losing to them at any time is no shame but to lose to them pre season means nothing.

siw2007

Thought we played ok last night. It was always going to be tough facing MSN and they could have ripped us apart at times but fortunately they didn't and scored from a fortunate incident. We played some really good stuff in the first half when we had the ball and we really should have scored. Second half was a bit dour, but again had our chances.

Rashford and Pogba were awesome, while Martial was good when he came on. Blind was poor, though he got in good positions, his delivery was disappointing.

Cantonagotmehere

Sorry, I have to vent...I would not watch a Champions League final at that awful, piece of shite stadium. It's impossible to explain how bad the traffic is getting to that concrete box. F that place.

Needless to say, a couple of my kids and I were late to the game (leaving at 430 from 45 miles away), but I enjoyed the second half...they go to see United loved for their 1st time.

MarylandMUFan

Sorry, I have to vent...I would not watch a Champions League final at that awful, piece of shite stadium. It's impossible to explain how bad the traffic is getting to that concrete box. F that place.

Needless to say, a couple of my kids and I were late to the game (leaving at 430 from 45 miles away), but I enjoyed the second half...they go to see United loved for their 1st time.
It took us an hour just to get out of the parking lot last night. We made it in okay (in large part because we live in Southern Maryland and don't need to get on the beltway). I think I would rather have the game in Philadelphia (3 hours away from my house) than in FedEx field which is 30 minutes away. We had a good time though. We were in the Barcelona end so the Barca chants seemed much louder than any of the United chants but their fans were really nice (at least the ones around us were).
Watching Messi reminded me of watching Wayne Gretzky in the 80's. Every time he was on the ball, the entire crowd would lean forward in their seats and you could hear the anticipation in the crowd. Glad I got to see him play.

Møllemanden

We all knew how United would be playing against this type of opponent. Generally speaking, I felt it was a very good test of our defensive organisation. No matter who's playing Barcelona they will have to be at their very best.

What went well?

Obviously the goalkeepers had a lot to do, and they both did very well. Phil Jones was no nonsense once again and I like that. Especially against good opponents. In midfield Paul Pogba was phenomenal. What a performance. His passing, pressing, physicality and skills was top class. Fellaini did pretty well too imo. He is no Zidane, but I think his technique has improved a lot since his first season here. Also, he fights for the team.

What could be better?

The main concern last season was the lack of goals. Once again, we have a monster of a target man who is supposed to solve that problem. But he will only be able to if he get proper service. The crossing yesterday was absolutely ridiculos. He had no connection with any of our crosses, and you can't blame him. They were awful. He had a couple of decent finishes and we can't blame him for not scoring.

I know some people focused on the positioning and off the ball actions of Jesse Lingard, but once again he got very little out of the game. Obviously when you're playing Barcelona, Jesse is an important player with his work rate. But it's a concern that he doesn't contribute more in attack. With Rashford you get incredible speed, Martial is pretty good at beating his opponent. What's Jesses contribution?

This was not an important game, but it's a good indicator of how far we are from competing with the very best.

Better crosses and more attacking flair is very important. Hopefully we've got that before the season starts.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It took us an hour just to get out of the parking lot last night. We made it in okay (in large part because we live in Southern Maryland and don't need to get on the beltway). I think I would rather have the game in Philadelphia (3 hours away from my house) than in FedEx field which is 30 minutes away. We had a good time though. We were in the Barcelona end so the Barca chants seemed much louder than any of the United chants but their fans were really nice (at least the ones around us were).
Watching Messi reminded me of watching Wayne Gretzky in the 80's. Every time he was on the ball, the entire crowd would lean forward in their seats and you could hear the anticipation in the crowd. Glad I got to see him play.
It took me almost 90 minutes to get out of the stadium in Philadelphia after the United friendly there in 2012(?).

prateik

According to the MEN headline, Jose says we only have 1 player at Barca's level, but I don't really think he is saying that.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-paul-pogba-13391843
He said that in the post match presser.
Said Barca and Madrid have special players.. Named Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Pique, Ronaldo, Bale, Modric and Kroos.. Said those are rare and we dont have those, we have to set up tactically to counter that and we can beat them if we get it right, but they have better players.
Then said Pogba was the only player who was on that level on the pitch playing for us today.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Our problem is we're sloppy. We play in such a non stop league that we lack 'brains' at times. We did well in parts. Defensively we can do better and Herrera would do well. We've no great pressuring game. We back off to much. I don't like Carrick in midfield against teams that can pass the ball around him. I think we need high energy but it's no disgrace. The goal was sloppy and avoidable. Jose didn't mind losing and I agree that I think it's good for the group because to win all the games (in a round about way) might give certain players delusions of grandeur.

We need to cut out sloppiness. If we're on the edge of our area, it's better to give it away from a long ball then trying to play through a team who pressurise so well and leave only small gaps. We need to play to our counter attacking strengths, not try to match them because their set up is all about giving players the ball and passing for fun. Rashford looked bright as did Pogba but others didn't. We just have to keep building for the season. If we get momentum then we'll do alright but that also might depend what we do in the market.

What we've done has been decent but realistically - what would we have done if we failed to qualify for the CL? Have we even done enough to ensure we qualify next season? The only reason for us being quiet other then the crazy market is that we're trying something nuts and you never really know but clubs rely on clubs and luck to get the things they want.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Said Barca and Madrid have special players.. Named Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Pique, Ronaldo, Bale, Modric and Kroos.. Said those are rare and we dont have those, we have to set up tactically to counter that and we can beat them if we get it right, but they have better players.
Then said Pogba was the only player who was on that level on the pitch playing for us today.
He seemed to be mainly talking about how comfortable they are on the ball. Said you can talk about tactics all day long but Barca have a load of players who are incredibly skilful and composed in possession. He singled out Pogba as a United player who had those same qualities. I assumed that he also appreciates tactically disciplined, hard-working players like the rest of our squad. Not everybody needs to be as good on the ball as Pogba. Still, though, it's hard to disagree with what he said. Maybe a little harsh on Mikhi and Mata. At a push, Hererra too.

dichinero

Well, let's all hope that the 2 players that are coming are closer to these special player than ours

Cantonagotmehere

I freaking missed him. Oh well, onward and upward, I got to see Pogba and Periera looked good.

My kids watched a 1.5 hour movie before we got out of the parking lot. I'd fly to Chicago to see them over going to that cesspit again.

Glad you have fun, we did too.

tomaldinho1

We have to be realistic in our criticism as Barca are stronger all round than us but I think Blind, Mkhi and Tony V let themselves down last night. Blind especially just lot the plot.

Given the changes at half time, it's probably best just to analyse the 1st half and worth remembering it was only 1-0, and that was due to a Valencia error rather than amazing Barcelona play. Two areas I feel we were really weak were CM/DM, watching Carrick chasing MSN on the break was almost comical (great player but so immobile these days) and a LB who can overlap.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We have to be realistic in our criticism as Barca are stronger all round than us but I think Blind, Mkhi and Tony V let themselves down last night. Blind especially just lot the plot.

Given the changes at half time, it's probably best just to analyse the 1st half and worth remembering it was only 1-0, and that was due to a Valencia error rather than amazing Barcelona play. Two areas I feel we were really weak were CM/DM, watching Carrick chasing MSN on the break was almost comical (great player but so immobile these days) and a LB who can overlap.
Adding Matic isn't going to change things either. He's just as slow as Carrick!

tomaldinho1

Adding Matic isn't going to change things either. He's just as slow as Carrick!
Yh agree - unless we just sit in (which is likely with Mou) he is too immobile for my liking. Would love a dynamic box to box to be honest - I think the energy of Pog/Herrera/Vidal type player could be an awesome midfield three.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yh agree - unless we just sit in (which is likely with Mou) he is too immobile for my liking. Would love a dynamic box to box to be honest - I think the energy of Pog/Herrera/Vidal type player could be an awesome midfield three.
Yeah, but then sitting in makes it even worse against people that press high. We will just keep losing the ball over and over again until the other team score.

We have to learn to be braver and beat the press better. Sticking Fellaini up top and hoofing is not the answer.

marlowe78

Generally, I was okay with how we played. We carved out some chances and I think we defended pretty well.

We didn't need a game against Barca, however, to know that we have stragglers from recent seasons who are holding us back and shouldn't be in our starting XI or in our team at all. This game just underscored a lot of what we already know.

The most significant problems are in the MF and on the wings, which is no surprise. We look primed to enter another season with deficient fullbacks who can't put in a good cross consistently to support players like Lukaku. In this pre-season, Valencia has only reinforced my view that he's an overglorified donkey. Blind uses intelligence but was horrible in his attacking play last night. And without Herrera in the team, we are anchored with Fellaini and an old Carrick as holding MFs, which slows everything to a crawl.

United will simply not move above Europa level with players like this holding regular spots in the XI. While I am highly doubtful we can get it done before the window, we need at minimum a skilled FB to give us a solid attacking option on the wings and a defensive MF who will allow us to keep Carrick/Fellaini in bench roles. I would've taken Walker if we showed interest in him, though the price he's gone for is IMO ridiculous. I would also take Matic if it meant giving Pogba support in midfield to do his job. He, to me, supplies exactly what we need - a big bastard who can police the MF and help our attacking MFs to focus on attacking.

The most impressive player last night for me was Rashford, who looks like he's emerging as a great talent. Martial wasted a couple of good positions but he looked energetic and a real threat. I was also very happy with Ander Pereira in his limited time on the ball. I'm convinced that he's good enough for the first team and I want him to be given a place on the bench.

I have no complaints about the back 4 except for Bailly, who was careless both on the ball and defending against those who had it. I think he's been a great signing for us but there is some carelessness in his game that he hopefully irons out. De Gea was once again superb.

On my 10 scale, I'd give us about a 6, which I admit is rather generous. A 1-0 loss on a goal by Neymar, however, is hardly a humiliating result.

Suedesi

So how did we play? Someone can summarise?
FIRST HALF

The initial period was very entertaining, with both teams hurting each other with fast counter-attacks and creating very good chances. Barça slowly gained control in midfield and began dominating possession and find spaces to take shots and test a fantastic DDG, who basically saved everything. Until Neymar took advantage of a mistake by Valencia and put Barça ahead.

United threatened a bit in the final minutes, but it was an impressive Barça who went into halftime with the one-goal lead.

SECOND HALF

Both teams changed all their players to start the second half, so the quality of play dropped and Barça couldn’t maintain the level of performance from the first half. Cillessen was called into work a few times and made some good saves, and Barca didn’t really threaten other than a chance that Paco Alcácer missed in front of goal.

BULB

The players are trying from all teams, these are not typical friendlies. The USA is a big market and the clubs don't want an embarrassing display. You can tell just by watching, particularly in the first halves, that the players are putting in more than an 'exhibition game'.

Negative: Barca ripped us to pieces in first half at different times, it could easily have been 3-1 or 3-0 at half time.

Positive: Barca rip most teams to pieces including Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus for periods of games.

I think most of the Barca players knew they were coming off at half time so put in a little extra knowing they didn't have to pace themselves.

Having said that, it was a touch disappointing, especially Miki, when he gets his chances vs better opposition he never seems to step up to the plate.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Only saw first half, but thought we went toe to toe with them and looked pretty close to their level. No idea where all the negative comments are coming from. (Highlights of the second half also seemed to be mainly Utd)

Charlie Foley

Was too tired to post when I got in last night.

FedEx field is a nightmare to get to, god help anyone trying to get home on their commute who got caught up in that too. Tickets were insanely expensive, though I didn't buy mine so it's ok. Got to experience my first tailgate, America does sports very different, while I enjoyed it I prefer things back home, whenever I go to sports here it feels more like a social event. Perfect for my girlfriend who doesn't really like "soccer" but still.

My seats were pretty good, I was top tier but second row, so totally unobstructed view and could see the shapes of the teams perfectly. They have little cup holders in the backs of the seat in front. Funny country.

The stadium took a while to fill up but that's the fault of the stadium really. They said it was a sellout, 80,000+. We were the opposite end to the loudest block of united fans (they were behind the goal neymar scored in) who were the only ones really making an atmosphere but it definitely felt more Barca, people lost their minds when they announced Messi.

So many people were on their phones constantly, live streaming the match and their own reactions. I get it's a bit of a spectacle for people here but I felt I was there for a very separate purpose. One weird thing was the stadium announcer would call substitutions not by name but by number, so I ended up having to explain to a lot of people who came in and who went off.

Americans are hilarious though. At half time they couldn't stop talking about freedom beer soccer fans! My highlight was one guy behind me when Rashford got the ball out wide, and Lukaku was running into the box, shout without any hint of sarcasm "bend it like Beckham!!" :lol:

Worth noting Suarez got booed a few times by the United fans, but the South Americans there were wetting themselves anytime MSN got the ball.

I'll add my thoughts on the match itself later.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Nice @Charlie Foley

I noticed this in the past year even at Camp Nou in terms of everyone filming with their phones during matches - very strange behavior seeing people with their arms out extended for long stretches of a match rather than actually watching. I suspect this is a world wide phenomena owing to the social media obsessive insanity we live in

Tailgating :lol: It is indeed an odd passion in the US, my best friend's brother is a Redskin fan living in LA and he tailgates in the most lavish way you could ever imagine (Twice divorced, no surpise there). Lives for tailgating, even to the point he will often end up watching the match inside his fully tricked out SUV via Satellite & Flat Panel screens

If getting there was bad, I bet the ride home was torture

MarylandMUFan

Even though I was in the Barca end as well, I could hear a "PSG" chant from the United end when Neymar had the ball down at that end. Other than that, some "United, United, United" chants but were drowned out by the much louder "Barca" chants (but that could be because I was in the Barca end).
On a good note, the weather was AMAZING! For late July in DC, it almost seemed cool.

Rusholme Ruffian

Nice @Charlie Foley

I noticed this in the past year even at Camp Nou in terms of everyone filming with their phones during matches - very strange behavior seeing people with their arms out extended for long stretches of a match rather than actually watching. I suspect this is a world wide phenomena owing to the social media obsessive insanity we live in

Tailgating :lol: It is indeed an odd passion in the US, my best friend's brother is a Redskin fan living in LA and he tailgates in the most lavish way you could ever imagine (Twice divorced, no surpise there). Lives for tailgating, even to the point he will often end up watching the match inside his fully tricked out SUV via Satellite & Flat Panel screens

If getting there was bad, I bet the ride home was torture
I thought tailgating was having loads of beers round the back of your vehicle...a bit like an alcohol-based car boot sale?

Do they not have drink/drive laws in the US?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I thought tailgating was having loads of beers round the back of your vehicle...a bit like an alcohol-based car boot sale?

Do they not have drink/drive laws in the US?
More or less what you're describing is old school or classic tailgating, today's tailgating is trying to outdo the other guy

They do have these drinking & driving laws but apparently they overlook the reality that even a 3-5 hr tailgating experience + game is not enough time to burn off the alcohol guzzled during that time. I can only assume police are simply camped outside stadiums for field sobriety tests

Cantonagotmehere

Was too tired to post when I got in last night.

FedEx field is a nightmare to get to, god help anyone trying to get home on their commute who got caught up in that too. Tickets were insanely expensive, though I didn't buy mine so it's ok. Got to experience my first tailgate, America does sports very different, while I enjoyed it I prefer things back home, whenever I go to sports here it feels more like a social event. Perfect for my girlfriend who doesn't really like "soccer" but still.

My seats were pretty good, I was top tier but second row, so totally unobstructed view and could see the shapes of the teams perfectly. They have little cup holders in the backs of the seat in front. Funny country.

The stadium took a while to fill up but that's the fault of the stadium really. They said it was a sellout, 80,000+. We were the opposite end to the loudest block of united fans (they were behind the goal neymar scored in) who were the only ones really making an atmosphere but it definitely felt more Barca, people lost their minds when they announced Messi.

So many people were on their phones constantly, live streaming the match and their own reactions. I get it's a bit of a spectacle for people here but I felt I was there for a very separate purpose. One weird thing was the stadium announcer would call substitutions not by name but by number, so I ended up having to explain to a lot of people who came in and who went off.

Americans are hilarious though. At half time they couldn't stop talking about freedom beer soccer fans! My highlight was one guy behind me when Rashford got the ball out wide, and Lukaku was running into the box, shout without any hint of sarcasm "bend it like Beckham!!" :lol:

Worth noting Suarez got booed a few times by the United fans, but the South Americans there were wetting themselves anytime MSN got the ball.

I'll add my thoughts on the match itself later.
Thanks for the report Charley. I really wish you saw a game at almost any other stadium in the country. Fedex is the worst for many reason, #1 for getting in and out. It took me 4 hours to get to my seat and I live about 55 miles away. There were people getting out of their cars on the highway and trying to figure out a way to walk to the stadium it was so bad. I got home at 1230AM but my 10 yr old boy and 12 yr old girl got to see some of their idols and we had a great 'adventure', so I am happy fan/dad today.

Rusholme Ruffian

More or less what you're describing is old school or classic tailgating, today's tailgating is trying to outdo the other guy

They do have these drinking & driving laws but apparently they overlook the reality that even a 3-5 hr tailgating experience + game is not enough time to burn off the alcohol guzzled during that time. I can only assume police are simply camped outside stadiums for field sobriety tests
Thank you for the explanation. God bless America! :D