2017 Pre Season | Los Angeles Galaxy vs Manchester United

Friction

Alright game. Too bad we didn't get a clean sheet. Lindelof started out great with some nice runs, however it went bad quickly. He was at fault for both goals, wrongfooted for the first, and didn't jump to challenge for the 2nd. He also didn't jump to defend the cross that Joel Pereira saved. Rashford was great, as was Martial. I was glad to see Andreas Pereira get a good run out.

Dazzmondo

Good game, especially the 1st half. Best players were Rashford, Mata, Lingard, Pogba, and A. Pereira. Martial looked pretty good too. With some more work done on his finishing he could have gotten more. His movement and dribbling was excellent. Pereira was excellent throughout. So composed, great passing, great control, good positioning. Never seemed to lose the ball. Not the best start by Lukaku but his runs did create a lot of space for Martial and Mkhi to run into. Lindelof had some good and bad moments. Some nice forward runs and one excellent tackle but also some iffy moments positionally, especially for the 1st goal. Bailly was really poor today which is weird for him. Overall, really nice way to start the pre-season though. Looking forward to the game against Salt Lake.

Nori-

Definitely a bit rusty, but thats normal, first game back. Hopefully we will be a bit more fluid in the next few games. Good start.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Lukaku and Lindelof looked out of synch with the team. Seems they need more time to be integrated in our system and good they joined us early.

Other than this, it was an enjoyable match.
This, and as expected for the newcomers. Oddly enough they both could've had a goal each in their debuts - Lukaku missing the breakaway and Lindelof misconnecting on a wide open shot off a corner.

Such a convenient 7PM start time being in Vancouver / same coast (west) as LA lol. Any of you folks in the UK who stayed up at 3 to watch this, just a bit of taste of what us foreigners have to do essentially each and every game to catch it live. Quite the struggle, often times frusturating getting up so early to watch a poor performance (been like this for what feels forever ever since SAF left), but always worthwhile. Loyal through thick and thin GGMU :)

kundalini

Galaxy were so poor it was difficult to know what to think. 2nd half defence did not look clever at all.

Herrera played well. Mata too. Rashford 2 good finishes and one poor one. Martial had a million attempts on goal of varying quality. TFM one super assist otherwise looked lost.

Not convinced by the system. First half Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini seemed too defensive. 2nd half Pereira and Pogba with Mkhitaryan as a 10, looked short of defensive awareness.

Darmian and Lingard both created more than you might expect, playing wide left.

Litch

First game of pre-season.......please stop talking foolishness.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pretty decent showing.

We look pretty well conditioned for this early on.

Lindelof to blame for both goals. Not sure why he didn't even jump for the 2nd.

Martial looked very bright. I thought A.Pereira was good as well. Surely, no reason to loan him out again?

Don't think we should be playing this 3 back system though. It just takes an attacker out of the team for the sake of an extra defender. Hopefully just a pre-season thing.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Lukaku was good, i think attacking players were good.
Only disappointed with

TFM- very rash and just played without brains
Lindelof- Some blame for both goals, i think he expected it to be easier so good wake up call.

Mkhi,Martial,Pog looked good. Darmian played a great game too. Overall its first game of preseason and good to get a win.

cfkane

For those worried about our new signings, I would recommend watching the debut game of both Vidic and Evera. A Darby. We were hammered if I recall and they were both dreadful.

Cypriot

Thought Martial was good. Showed a lot of hunger and desire and got that goal to top it off. He wasn't giving Lukaku the cold shoulder - he's a striker and his instinct is to score when he see's the opportunity. I don't think Lukaku would have passed had he been in most of those positions.

Just because it was Lukaku's debut it doesn't mean everyone needs to square it to him at every opportunity. At the end of the day it's healthy competition and Martial, as a striker competing for the place, isn't going to just submit and allow Lukaku to become the main man. He seemed to play with a point to prove and I thought he did well.

efraim

Can't be accused of being a gloryhunter
Good first game of the season. Good attacking play, I really wanted Rashford to get those 3 goals though.

I had huge expectations for Lukaku so I was bound to be disappointed, but he's only been training with the team for a week and Martial could've co-operated with him better. Hopefully when he gets to know the team better and our style of play he'll get better.

NotQuiteManc

PEreira :drool::drool::drool:

Nice skills and composure. Not sure about his defending though but at no. 10 it could work. Still plenty of time to improve his game.

Ephrem

A Pereira is going to be the surprise package this season ! Hopefully JM trust him

Devil may care

Rashford took his goals well, Pereira, Pogba, Martial, Mkhi and Darmian all looked sharp on the ball, it's a training excercise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very good overall, got sloppy the last 15 minutes though. Hard to judge first half because they were dreadful, but everyone looked sharp in it. 2nd half, lindelof very good on the ball, at fault for the corner, got caught in a shitty position having too much space to cover on his own for the 1st goal. Tuanzebe for me did well but doesn't look ready for the premier league IMO. Fosu Mensah was more of the same from every time I've seen him, basically no footballing ability but a beast physically and really fast. Got an assist though I guess!

Mkhitaryan and Martial were class I thought, linked up really well with Pogba. Lukaku was meh, should've scored the one chance but wasn't all that involved afterwards. Made good runs though and I have no doubt he'll be a big success. Pereira I've always really liked and he showed his quality again. Not a holding midfielder, but he could play a good role as a squad player as the attacking one of the midfield 3.

Son Of Sam

ffs, some people here, 4 trainings, new manager, new team, he did not score hattrick, he is rubbish, sell Lukaku!:rolleyes:
If he had scored 5 goals, the same people would say he scored against farmers.

Martial was a little bit greedy too. He could have laid a through pass on 3 different occasions but Anthony had to prove a point to Jose that he wants to be here.

Son Of Sam

PEreira :drool::drool::drool:

Nice skills and composure. Not sure about his defending though but at no. 10 it could work. Still plenty of time to improve his game.
He was outstanding. Fearless and comfortable in possession. There was a time he made this brilliant turn in the middle of the pitch. I think we now have a partner for Herrera in the midfield but it's early days. I hope he gets a run against Man City in Houston.

Big shout out to Darmian too. He was flawless.

el3mel

Anyway, I think Lukaku will be much suited as a lone striker rather than in a 2 striker system. If we're going to play 3-5-2 with him then the other one next to him should be someone like Mata or Mikhi who prefers passing than shooting. I hope we try it in one of the next games.

Martial will link very well with Rashford most probably as they are both moving continuously while Lukaku wants someone to feed him with chances.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I always think Lukaku should lose a few kgs of muscle mass. He is like the Shaq of football.

Needs to lose some bulk to add lateral mobility.

roseguy64

Not that impressed with lukaku, but he has so much time to improve. Mourinho must have been watching the wrong game when he said that he played better than the players who scored goals. Sad
He's probably done what Mourinho asked of him? He held the ball up well and made mostly the right decisions. Only had the one real chance which was saved well. Didn't have any linkup with Martial though.

sglowrider

Want sure because Jose was mumbling a bit but did he say that Marcus has grown 3cm since he got there? Or was it someone else?

roseguy64

Anyway, I think Lukaku will be much suited as a lone striker rather than in a 2 striker system. If we're going to play 3-5-2 with him then the other one next to him should be someone like Mata or Mikhi who prefers passing than shooting. I hope we try it in one of the next games.

Martial will link very well with Rashford most probably as they are both moving continuously while Lukaku wants someone to feed him with chances.
Might have a point here. Didn't seem to have any chemistry with Martial though it's still new for them.

sglowrider

He's probably done what Mourinho asked of him? He held the ball up well and made mostly the right decisions. Only had the one real chance which was saved well. Didn't have any linkup with Martial though.
Very clear that they were playing individually. Maybe Martial is trying hard to remind Jose to make sure he wont be left out of the starting 11.

Fracture90

What's with all those critical views on a preseason friendly after just a single week of training?

Relax people it felt good watching UTD again.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Strange cause I think he has had a really poor half. Part in both of the goals.

Just as with Lukaku though it is just the first game and don't matter at all in the long run.
You're right. As of right now I'm thinking Lindelof is the 3rd best CB on the roster behind Bailly. And Rojo.

And Smalling is apparently better against balls in the air.

It's early though. I still don't see how signing Lindelof has done anything other than strengthen our depth at the position. We'll see.

will7285

Enjoyed that good pre-season game for the lads to get fit and and overall a decent performance.

A.Pereira looked class to me nice skills an looked comfortable in the middle of the park him Herrera and Pogba could be quite a good midfield trio hope he gets more games. Martial and Rashford were the standout players for me. Herrera, Mata, and Mkhi had good performances aswell. Lindelöf looked good some nice runs and tackles although could of done better with both goals. Same with Lukaku was decent should have scored with his first chance and done better with some of the others but it's only his first game so understandable. Don't quite like the new formation but maybe with more time to practice and implement during pre-season it will improve.

Reactions: SteveJ

NotQuiteManc

Still very early days of course but nice to see different combos all around the pitch. At the moment Lukaku Martial isnt working (yet), but probably Lukaku Mata might work better. Martial Rashford front two though :drool::drool::drool:

Looking forward to Pereira Herrera combo next.