Manchester United: WWWWL
Vålerenga: WDWDD

Previous Meeting

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Ronny Deila

Team News

Manchester United

Marcos Rojo, Luke Shaw and Ashley Young ruled out.

Vålerenga

Know the opposition

Vålerenga Fotball (nicknamed Enga, Vål'enga, The Bohemians, The Pride of Oslo and St. Hallvard's Men) is a Norwegian professional football club based in Oslo and a part of the multi-sport club Vålerengens Idrettsforening. The history of Vålerenga Fotball goes back to Fotballpartiet Spark, which was founded in 1898 by pastor Hans Møller Gasmann. An early mission for Gasmann was to give the local youth social activity and exercise. On a larger scale, the club was part of the movement known as Muscular Christianity. A successor to this football club, Idrettslaget Spring, was founded on 29 July 1913 by a group of teenage factory workers. A year later, the club changed its name to Vaalerengens Idrættsforening. Rooted in the neighborhood of Vålerenga on the east end of Oslo, the club would recruit players and supporters from the many workers in the area, in a society then characterized for its low mobility between social strata.

Vålerenga enjoyed its Glory Years in the '80s following the emergence of a new generation. With the help of players like Tom Jocobsen and Vidar Jacobsenm, and led by manager Lief Eriksen, Vålerengen would win its first Norwegian Football Cup in 1980, and then in 1981, 1983, 1934. In recent years, Vålerenga faced economic difficulties from previous seasons and being without a shirt sponsorship deal, they spent much of the 2014 season dealing with a severe risk of bankruptcy, finally signing a new shirt sponsorship deal with DNB ASA on 29 July. Vålerenga's main rivals include Lillestrøm Sportsklubb, HamKam, Kongsvinger Idrettslag, SK Brann and Lyn Toppfotball. Vålerenga play their home games at the Ullevaal Stadion.

Referee

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I have to admit, I have never heard of this Norwegian team...

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I dont get why we are playing 8 (well 7 friendlies) games before the season starts.

Raw

I dont get why we are playing 8 (well 7 friendlies) games before the season starts.
I like it. Keeps the team fit and allows for more rotation and opportunities for fringe players. I remember we had what, 3 pre-season games last season? 4 if you count Rooney's testimonial? It felt like an utter waste of time.

kundalini

The kids will play this game since they've barely featured in the other matches and I can't see Mourinho selecting them for the Super Cup against Real Madrid.

Last edited:

donkeyfish

Ronny Johnsen played there for a little while after his career should've been over.

Also the team where John Carew started his professional career.

Finally, Vålerenga is the original miracle of Istanbul team - after coming back from 3-0 down against Besiktas in the UEFA cup winners cup in the late 90s.

greggsy

What's up with the banner? Is midweek Football a problem in Norway?
It was, had games friday-monday, and it was impossible to plan for going to matches as the schedule only planned two rounds ahead. Took a minor revolt from sunday league teams to force the Norwegian FA to change it. Remember going to the membermeeting and voting for my local top-flight team (SK Brann) to force them to stand behind and vote for the change. (The board was against it, but members voted it through) And I think the Vålerenga fans did the same.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Joke.

I know Norway is a country. Just not a very important one.

(Please don't send an armada of longboats to rape and pillage. It's all in good fun :D)
Grinding the battle axe as we speak, this won't go unpunished.

AndersB

Going to the match. Proper chuffed

Now give me the team you think I will be graced with

AndersB

I'll go with

Pereira

TFM - Lindelof - Jones - Darmian

McTominay

Lingard Pogba

Mkhi. Lukaku. Martial

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I have to admit, I have never heard of this Norwegian team...
United played Vålerenga in 2012.
Vålerenga is the team from Oslo... a horrible team, in all possible ways, must be said.
Noone likes them.

The å is pronounced a bit like the o in boat or goat.
Now you can all hear how stupid the commentator sounds when pronouncing it like a... which isn't even close.

Dazzmondo

Pereira

Fosu-Mensah Smalling Lindelof Darmian

Fellaini Pereira Pogba

Mata Lukaku Martial

45 mins:

Fosu-Mensah Smalling Lindelof Blind

Pereira Herrera Fellaini

Mkhitaryan Lukaku Martial

Valencia Bailly Tuanzebe Blind

Pereira Herrera Fellaini

Mkhitaryan Rashford Martial

Man Utd 4-0 Vaalerenga (Lukaku X2, Mata, Martial)​

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Fun fact (kind of)
When Utd played Vålerenga in 2012 Sir Alex was a no show because he had to talk Wenger into selling us RvP.

donkeyfish

Vålerenga is the team from Oslo... a horrible team, in all possible ways, must be said.
Noone likes them.

Now you can all hear how stupid the commentator sounds when pronouncing it like a... which isn't even close.
This is even worse than thinking Norway is a Swedish region

Raw

Fun fact (kind of)
When Utd played Vålerenga in 2012 Sir Alex was a no show because he had to talk Wenger into selling us RvP.
I remember our pre-season being pretty wank then.
Scraped a 1-0 win against AmaZulu thanks to Macheda
1-1 draw against Ajax Cape Town thanks to a last minute Bebe equaliser
1-0 win against Shanghai Shensua thanks to Kagawa
Drew 0-0 to Valerenga
Drew 0-0 to Barca and lost on penalties (scoring none)
Beat Hannover 96 4-3 with Rooney x2, Chicharito and Kagawa scoring

We went on to win the title that season with ease. Should be a nice bit of perspective for those moaners about our pre-season.

AshRK

I remember our pre-season being pretty wank then.
Scraped a 1-0 win against AmaZulu thanks to Macheda
1-1 draw against Ajax Cape Town thanks to a last minute Bebe equaliser
1-0 win against Shanghai Shensua thanks to Kagawa
Drew 0-0 to Valerenga
Drew 0-0 to Barca and lost on penalties (scoring none)
Beat Hannover 96 4-3 with Rooney x2, Chicharito and Kagawa scoring

We went on to win the title that season with ease. Should be a nice bit of perspective for those moaners about our pre-season.
3 seasons ago, van gaal and his troops beat or should I say thrashed real madrid and Liverpool and we were so confident that we will win the league, only to lose to swansea and draw to burnley.

Moiraine

I saw the match in 2012, quite a boring match to be honest. Best thing was watching United players so close.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I saw the match in 2012, quite a boring match to be honest. Best thing was watching United players so close.
If i remember correctly, we didn't field a very strong team either.

Moiraine

If i remember correctly, we didn't field a very strong team either.
I remember watching Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Scholes and Hernandez close infront of my eyes ... was unbelievable.

Vålerenga used to have very good players around 2008-2012, I was often at their matches as steward because my kid was playing for their junior team.

quackattack

(Please don't send an armada of longboats to rape and pillage. It's all in good fun :D)
In fact, there is a good chance you are (partially) Norwegian. As we all know, Raiders were very much present and established the settlement which would later be known as Dublin, among many other nice things on the British islands. Otherwise intermarried and settled peacefully together with many natives on both "mainland" Britain, and Ireland and the other islands.

Dyslexic Untied

Noone likes them.

Not really true that no one likes them though.