2018 Form: WWWWWLWLWDWWWLWWW

Marcky411

As a few already mentioned, both here and other threads, it`s not about results really. The results under LVG were not really that bad either, but the football was so poor i actually couldn´t care how we did at the end of his time here.

We are no doubt better now, but still, there are just to many games were our approach and attitude is a long way from what we expect from our team. Our squad is easily good enough to go out at Wembley against Spurs and give our fantastic away fans something to be proud of.

Our squad is easily good enough to give Sevilla´s keeper a reason to wash his kit after 3 hours of football.

We resort to hoofball to Fellaini/Lukaku way to often.
How many times have we watched our team more or less stop playing after they scored a goal?
Just moving the ball around with no purpose of going forward and actually trying to score another one.
You are spot on, results are great but it is also how you win. A lot of people will say at the end of the day only results count and in a couple of years time no one will remember the football played. That is comfort talk as eveyone remembers LvG and Moyes football as the worst ever. Our football is dire to watch and unfortunately seems to be getting worse. Now with Fellaini fit again I am dreading the last so many games because we all know what Jose is going to do.
Referring to the bold bit I fully agree and I must say I have got the same feeling at the moment under Jose, that I couldn't care one way or the other and that is what makes it so conflicting, you care about the club and you really want them to do well but with the cr@p Jose serves up week in week out, just couldn't care.

wolvored

I think that many of our younger fans merely want a new toy (ie. manager).
These people need to understand that Jose is here to stay (that'll hurt them, big time....no new toys for the foreseeable future). With this in mind, they need to get used to the idea and start backing him. Otherwise, they'll just depress themselves. I know this because when I was part of the LVG OUT brigade, it took 5 months for him to actually be sacked. That was a frustrating time for me.
I think it all depends how well he does next year. I think the board will expect a league or Ch league title win, and if not he will be gone. If we dont win the league next season we are moving into Arsenal territory; once a regular winner, but now an also ran.

Green_Red

I think it all depends how well he does next year. I think the board will expect a league or Ch league title win, and if not he will be gone. If we dont win the league next season we are moving into Arsenal territory; once a regular winner, but now an also ran.
Regular winner? Slow down mate, they won it 3 times 14 years ago, hardly regular.

wolvored

Regular winner? Slow down mate, they won it 3 times 14 years ago, hardly regular.
3 times in 6 years was it? That what I meant by regular winner. We will have gone 5 years thats why I said the board will expect him to win it or Ch league next season, or it will be curtains for him.

Green_Red

3 times in 6 years was it? That what I meant by regular winner. We will have gone 5 years thats why I said the board will expect him to win it or Ch league next season, or it will be curtains for him.
Its hard to know how the board are thinking. Whether winning or just competing and staying relevant is enough. Who really knows only them. I think he'll be here until he self implodes or we dont finish in CL places.

soccerMad

Jose deserve another season. You can't just change manager when ever you feel like. This will set the Club back to square one and start to rebuild again.

Next season will be his 3rd, plus and minus and correct me if I am wrong. We are in second position as now in the League and still in the FA cup. The game may not be beautiful but that still show improvement as a whole. The next season will be important, we need to improve and challenge on more front. If he need to bring in more players so be it. This will be his deciding season.

It doesn't matter where we ended for this season, we need to give him another season.

:devil:

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina Red

prath92

You are spot on, results are great but it is also how you win. A lot of people will say at the end of the day only results count and in a couple of years time no one will remember the football played. That is comfort talk as eveyone remembers LvG and Moyes football as the worst ever. Our football is dire to watch and unfortunately seems to be getting worse. Now with Fellaini fit again I am dreading the last so many games because we all know what Jose is going to do.
Referring to the bold bit I fully agree and I must say I have got the same feeling at the moment under Jose, that I couldn't care one way or the other and that is what makes it so conflicting, you care about the club and you really want them to do well but with the cr@p Jose serves up week in week out, just couldn't care.
What is he going to do?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can never remember a time following united when 4 wins from previous 5 was a time so many were in crisis mode. Not to mention Chelsea and Liverpool beaten in that time too.

The hysterics this season have been laughable.
The press are stoking it every opportunity to be fair.

PoTMS

The press are stoking it every opportunity to be fair.
And quite rightly, it was embarrassing - the players and manager deserve it. We lost to the worst side left in the competition. Scratch that, second worst as they beat us.

Lawman

And quite rightly, it was embarrassing - the players and manager deserve it. We lost to the worst side left in the competition. Scratch that, second worst as they beat us.
Problem being they have been stoking it for a long time even beforehand.

cyril C

They haven't played attractive football in a few years now.
When they win, they normally do play attacking and attractive football, just not so often these days. Even when they lose, they still play attacking football, 1st half perhaps then turning into headless chicken.

Zimkid

I have to say. Relative to other seasons since Sir Alex, this is a great season. I think my expectations are way to high. The boys are winning many games. Yes, Jose made some tactical blunders against Sevilla and in the League Cup ... but to be #2 and bossing Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal. This is impressive. Hope they can build on it. Sucks that the media over bloats stories and causes a stench of suspicion within the team.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
We beat Liverpool in our last league and 2-1 flattered them considering the chance Mata missed. Maybe beating the so called 2nd best team is boring, not for me. Can never be.

Gordon S

But Arsenal play attacking and attractive football, result doesn't matter according to some fans.
I don’t think anyone thinks that. Results matter to all fans. But some fans thinks that perfomances matters as well as results. Massive difference.

Dec9003

We beat Liverpool in our last league and 2-1 flattered them considering the chance Mata missed. Maybe beating the so called 2nd best team is boring, not for me. Can never be.
That was a fantastic result, and a fantastic performance. It still has to be said though that the football we've played this season is sub-par on the whole. I really like Mourinho, but if we don't see a higher quality of football next season we should be looking at different options to take the club forward.

UDontMessWith24

Without calling for the manager to be sacked I think it's safe to say the last L counts for more than one.

Dec9003

Without calling for the manager to be sacked I think it's safe to say the last L counts for more than one.
Agreed. We haven't been in the champions league knockout stage for years. To go out how we did isn't acceptable, and next season we need to see a big improvement in Europe.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Are people really that bothered by the form? Any other year you’d probably be top, or certainly closer. Most of the people I’ve seen complaining are complaining because (with a couple of exceptions) they’re giving up their Saturdays to be bored out of their minds.

Winning is great but it only really gives you satisfaction at the end of the season or when you’re rubbing it in your mates face. Having a good time watching the match is what gets you through the rest of the season.

prath92

Are people really that bothered by the form? Any other year you’d probably be top, or certainly closer. Most of the people I’ve seen complaining are complaining because (with a couple of exceptions) they’re giving up their Saturdays to be bored out of their minds.

Winning is great but it only really gives you satisfaction at the end of the season or when you’re rubbing it in your mates face. Having a good time watching the match is what gets you through the rest of the season.
Our previous three league games have all been fun to watch (dominant wins vs pool and Chelsea and an epic comeback away to CP).

wolvored

Our previous three league games have all been fun to watch (dominant wins vs pool and Chelsea and an epic comeback away to CP).
I would hardly say dominant. We won by a solitary goal in each match. It isnt as if we battered them over the 90 minutes either.

wolvored

I think everyone will agree the results overall have been pretty good. The standard of football played hasnt. The thing is if we finish 2nd there is only one way to improve next year and that is to win the title and realistically unless we clear 4-5-6 out and bring 4-5-6 in, is not going to happen. We could finish 2nd again and stay level, thats if we finish 2nd this year of course. The most important thing this club needs to do is make sure De Gea stays next season above all else imo.

prath92

I would hardly say dominant. We won by a solitary goal in each match. It isnt as if we battered them over the 90 minutes either.
Dominant doesn’t mean win by 5 goals. We excelled in attack and defence in both games. Especially Liverpool game where they scored due to a freak OG and mata missed a sitter. 3-0 would have been dominant yes. Chelsea game I would say was more even given that they played better in first half and we played better the second

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dominant doesn’t mean win by 5 goals. We excelled in attack and defence in both games. Especially Liverpool game where they scored due to a freak OG and mata missed a sitter. 3-0 would have been dominant yes. Chelsea game I would say was more even given that they played better in first half and we played better the second
In all three of those games we spent at least 45 minutes (longer vs Liverpool) having our arsed handed to us. That’s not a “dominant” performance, by any definition.

wolvored

I was going to reply but Pogue has done it for me

Havak

Pokemon master
If we were playing 'well', it'd probably be not much different admittedly. However, I think the fact we went out of the Champion's League to Sevilla is what outweighs an otherwise good run of form. All of the other favourites pretty much managed to mitigate their ties and we didn't. If we were in the next round against Bayern right now, I think some fans would be a bit optimistic about our season and think we could start playing a bit nicer football if Pogba/Sanchez can hit some form after the international break. A lot would probably even fancy us to go through against Bayern as it was one of the more favourable draws. Going out of the biggest club competition to a team that for all intent and purposes (with respect to Sevilla) isn't really good enough to be at that stage, is going to play a big part in the negativity, even if that game was our only loss this year.

prath92

In all three of those games we spent at least 45 minutes (longer vs Liverpool) having our arsed handed to us. That’s not a “dominant” performance, by any definition.
Can’t remember many instances where we didn’t look in control vs Liverpool. Liverpool never looked like scoring. Arse handed to us is just wrong. Having possession doesn’t mean they were dominating. Chelsea yes I think first half they were the better team.

Anyway this is moot. The post I replied to was talking about how the PL games (I assume since he was talking about weekend). When in fact all three games were very enjoyable to watch.

wolvored

Can’t remember many instances where we didn’t look in control vs Liverpool. Liverpool never looked like scoring. Arse handed to us is just wrong. Having possession doesn’t mean they were dominating. Chelsea yes I think first half they were the better team.

Anyway this is moot. The post I replied to was talking about how the PL games (I assume since he was talking about weekend). When in fact all three games were very enjoyable to watch.
We parked the bus 2nd half against Liverpool, Chelsea was a game of 2 halves, and we didnt start playing against Palace until the last 20 mins when we were 2 down and they tired. Cant see where you get this domineering bit from.

prath92

We parked the bus 2nd half against Liverpool, Chelsea was a game of 2 halves, and we didnt start playing against Palace until the last 20 mins when we were 2 down and they tired. Cant see where you get this domineering bit from.
Never said the game against palace was dominating. Maybe read again.

As for Liverpool game we were never threatened by liverpool the entire game. Yeah we defended towards the end but it’s not like they bombarded us with attacks. De Gea did nothing of note that game. They didn’t have a shot on target after the 30th minute and were lucky to even get a goal. I’d call that a dominant (not domineering) performance yes.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
If Liverpool dominated us in that second half, then we were wrong to sack van Gaal as we, too, dominated almost every team in that season.

haram

Liverpool did not hand our arse to us. Quit the rewriting.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
None of those matches mentioned above (Chelsea and Liverpool) were dominating in anyway. You could argue that we allowed Liverpool to have possession, but I'm not sure how that can be made to look like a positive thing quite frankly. Willingly giving up possession at home is not something that should be particularly commended. They had 68% possession to our 32%, 14 shots to our 5 and 2 shots on target (same as us). We were clinical on that day. They should have definitely scored with Van Dijk and Mata should have probably scored for us so, again, quite even. Awesome result of course, but hardly dominating.

As for Chelsea, well that was the proverbial game of two halves and in no way dominating. Again they had more possession, more shots and more shots on target. We won again of course and that's great, but none of these are dominating performances. And the Crystal Palace game was euphoric because of the way it ended, but for large swathes of that game we were fecking horrendous. We won because we threw caution to the wind and went at them, which is something we seldom do and is the main reason why Jose comes in for a lot of criticism.

Red00012

It’s results over performance for me. If we win the fa cup playing rubbish football v spurs and the same in the final, will I be complaining ? No. I’d much rather be in this situation than watching Klopp play this great attacking football and winning nothing which is more than likely going to happen again this season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Liverpool did feck all against us.
Somewhat true. Partly due to our defensive solidity and partly due to them being impotent up front. But we were not dominating. That's the point that was being made. And ceding possession at home is not something that should be applauded particularly, either.

Ultimately the result is what matters, but lets not get revisionist here.

haram

Somewhat true. Partly due to our defensive solidity and partly due to them being impotent up front. But we were not dominating. That's the point that was being made. And ceding possession at home is not something that should be applauded particularly, either.

Ultimately the result is what matters, but lets not get revisionist here.
Revisionist?

We took an easy 2 goal lead and controlled the game with and without the ball. Liverpool’s attack was impotent hecause we made them impotent. We did not allow them to win the ball higher up the pitch, we played a narrow defensive line to remove the space for Salah. Jose completely schooled Klopp.

It is not ‘somewhat true’. That’s the fecking truth.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Revisionist?

We took an easy 2 goal lead and controlled the game with and without the ball. Liverpool’s attack was impotent hecause we made them impotent. We did not allow them to win the ball higher up the pitch, we played a narrow defensive line to remove the space for Salah. Jose completely schooled Klopp.

It is not ‘somewhat true’. That’s the fecking truth.

It's somewhat true because you said they did "feck all" which is isn't strictly true. They had more shots, equal shots on target and more possession. We deserved to win. That's not being debated. We were more clinical with our two shots on target. And as i said, they were impotent because we defended well, and they were quite poor. We controlled Sala and deserve credit of that. But we were not dominating. That's what i took issue with. And it's revisionist because at the time is was a collective sigh of relief when the whistle went because we were camped in. And now it's somehow looked on as this dominating performance. It just wasn't.

Agan, relinquishing possession is not something that should be applauded.

Last edited: