2018 PGA and Golf in General

Ainu

I've only watched a bit of the European tour so far this season. Obviously the big story is Rory's return with a third and second place finish, which bodes well for the rest of his year. He really needs another big season and he looks up for it. I'm also looking foward to seeing how Tommy Fleetwood does at the majors this year.

I haven't watched any PGA stuff yet but I'm planning to check out some of the action at Pebble Beach this week.

Dyslexic Untied

I watch whatever I can but because of the time difference I generally don’t get to see the final 9.

Should be a good year with Tiger getting back, Rory and Day showing some form in addition ti DJ, Spieth etc usually turning up. Personally I always hope for Hideki. Such a striker of the ball.

Kag

There's a real lack of golf fans on here?

@Dyslexic Untied I agree on Matsuyama. I followed him for a few holes at last year's Open and his three wood off the tee is one of the best things I've ever seen - and heard! The pause mid swing is brilliant.

Dyslexic Untied

There's a real lack of golf fans on here?

@Dyslexic Untied I agree on Matsuyama. I followed him for a few holes at last year's Open and his three wood off the tee is one of the best things I've ever seen - and heard! The pause mid swing is brilliant.
Yeah, his pause is something. Cool to see one with such a different swing.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
McIlroy fit, Tiger back, very strong looking European and US sides for the Ryder Cup and The Open at Carnoustie. All ingredients are there for a classic season.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Annoying lack of love for golf on here... Can't wait to see how this year is going to play out. Tiger being back fit again is huge, looking forward to seeing what he can do with regular tournament reps and practice. The Masters is going to be epic.

Will Rickie finally win a major? Will Spieth complete the grand slam? So many great players at the moment.

Lj82

Annoying lack of love for golf on here... Can't wait to see how this year is going to play out. Tiger being back fit again is huge, looking forward to seeing what he can do with regular tournament reps and practice. The Masters is going to be epic.

Will Rickie finally win a major? Will Spieth complete the grand slam? So many great players at the moment.
I only started following golf for about a year and a half, but I swear that I kept seeing Rickie lead at 54 holes only to collapse on the last day!

BluesJr

I only started following golf for about a year and a half, but I swear that I kept seeing Rickie lead at 54 holes only to collapse on the last day!
I don't think it's collapsing as much as other players just playing their best stuff. I think he's been pretty unlucky in a lot of the situations he's found himself in when in contention at majors. From weather sabotage to players turning into gods, quite infuriating if you're a Rickie fan like me!

However, he clearly needs to do more to have a consistent four rounds and get the job done. Hopefully he can do it this year.

BluesJr

Justin Thomas building on his momentum last year with another win this week, he's becoming a big threat. Tiger also played well and was 2nd in driving distance, which is ridiculously impressive considering it was his 3rd start back.

Ainu

Tiger impressed me at the Honda last week, it'll be interesting to see if he can keep it going. If he enters the Masters in good form, you know what everyone will be talking about. Just imagine he reaches the weekend in contention for the tournament, we'd see unprecedented and absurd levels of excitement and expectation.

But yeah Justin Thomas looks set to have another massive year. Tommy Fleetwood continued his good form as well. Exciting times ahead for these two.

Kag

Woods is still one of the biggest draws in sport. Maybe the biggest in terms of the masses of people he attracts to the sport.

Great to see him back.

Nik70

Woods is still one of the biggest draws in sport. Maybe the biggest in terms of the masses of people he attracts to the sport.

Great to see him back.
I'm hoping he can pull off the win. Can't make any putts though.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
WOW Patrick Reed just messed up a put on the 18th. Just needed two puts to tie Casey and under hit it. Ball rolled all the way back to him.

Casey with club house lead and only Tiger can tie him now.

AND Casey wins.....well deserved and a long time coming.

Last edited:

Nik70

Yep. Well done to Casey. Tiger looked pretty good. Hopefully he kicks on from here.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Tiger looks solid but he will never be dominant again. Its only a matter of time before he has another health setback. Multiple knee surgeries and a fused back will only hold up to so much abuse.

Nik70

Tiger looks solid but he will never be dominant again. Its only a matter of time before he has another health setback. Multiple knee surgeries and a fused back will only hold up to so much abuse.
Maybe. Time will tell.

Nik70

I kind of hope he doesn't come back. The commentary and lovefest for Tiger was nauseating this weekend.
Yeah they really do go overboard when he is in contention. :lol: I still like him though. He really has such a great work ethic. After a brilliant start in his early days it's a shame that his career has dipped so badly with his injuries and personal life taking such a toll.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I kind of hope he doesn't come back. The commentary and lovefest for Tiger was nauseating this weekend.
Yeah they really do go overboard when he is in contention. :lol: I still like him though. He really has such a great work ethic. After a brilliant start in his early days it's a shame that his career has dipped so badly with his injuries and personal life taking such a toll.
They have to. That's what he brings to golf on TV. I think it was Nick Dougherty on Sky this week compared the viewing figures from the same event last year and that the difference was incredible. Casual golf fans who tune in now and again are glued to the TV when Tiger is playing and in contention. Non- golf fans even tune into watch.

Plus, he's the greatest to ever play the game. He's been out for years and comes back and does that. I hope he wins this year and is in contention in a couple of the majors. It would be so good for the game.

Nik70

They have to. That's what he brings to golf on TV. I think it was Nick Dougherty on Sky this week compared the viewing figures from the same event last year and that the difference was incredible. Casual golf fans who tune in now and again are glued to the TV when Tiger is playing and in contention. Non- golf fans even tune into watch.

Plus, he's the greatest to ever play the game. He's been out for years and comes back and does that. I hope he wins this year and is in contention in a couple of the majors. It would be so good for the game.
Agreed. I would love to see that.

Ainu

Are you surprised that Tiger is still such an influential figure in golf today? His impact on the modern game has been enormous. I don't understand why anyone who loves the game wouldn't want him back. When he's playing like last weekend, he's still fantastic to watch. And the narrative around him makes this season a lot more interesting. The player who once looked set to break Nicklaus' record, returning after a fall from grace and looking like he might be in contention again. It'd be fascinating to watch him go head to head with current top players like DJ, Spieth, Thomas, etc at the majors. I hope he'll do well there.

Ainu

Final round of the Arnold Palmer invitational today looks very interesting. Stenson in the lead and some interesting names in the chasing pack. McIlroy just 2 shots back, Rose 3 shots, Fowler another shot further back and Tiger Woods just making the top 10 at 5 shots back. Rose and McIlroy both had great rounds yesterday to inch closer, let's see if they can keep that up today.

Nik70

Final round of the Arnold Palmer invitational today looks very interesting. Stenson in the lead and some interesting names in the chasing pack. McIlroy just 2 shots back, Rose 3 shots, Fowler another shot further back and Tiger Woods just making the top 10 at 5 shots back. Rose and McIlroy both had great rounds yesterday to inch closer, let's see if they can keep that up today.
I'm impressed that Tiger is in touch with the leaders again. Looks like he is starting to get that consistency back.

Ainu

Rory sharing the lead with Stenson now, Tiger is just one shot back with plenty of holes left. He is back all right.

Nik70

Rory sharing the lead with Stenson now, Tiger is just one shot back with plenty of holes left. He is back all right.
Making some putts today which was his downfall last Sunday.

Nik70

Missed that. Was watching MSU blow it against Syracuse. Yeah he's out of it now.

Ainu

Rory's putter is on fire, that's been missing from his game in recent times but it's spot on today. Two shots clear with 4 to play.