2019/20 Rashford vs 2022/23 Rashford

After an interesting discussion in his thread, I thought I’d pose the question to the rest of the forum.

In my opinion, Rashford started to look like a top class player back in January 2019 when Ole came in all the way to January 2020 when he broke his back. He started to consistently take on and beat his man, and showed a new level of pace, acceleration alongside skills like elastico’s and nutmegs:

Now Rashford looks like he’s back in this element. Not as flashy as he was in 2019 but looks stronger, more aggressive and a more decisive player. Has clearly worked on his finishing and his aerial ability.

Is this current version of Rashford the best we’ve ever seen?

Spaghetti

Mom's
After an interesting discussion in his thread, I thought I’d pose the question to the rest of the forum.

In my opinion, Rashford started to look like a top class player back in January 2019 when Ole came in all the way to January 2020 when he broke his back. He started to consistently take on and beat his man, and showed a new level of pace, acceleration alongside skills like elastico’s and nutmegs:

Now Rashford looks like he’s back in this element. Not as flashy as he was in 2019 but looks stronger, more aggressive and a more decisive player. Has clearly worked on his finishing and his aerial ability.

In my opinion yes. He is at the right level of weight / strength. He’s difficult to push off the ball, going in for headers, and still fast and direct. It also helps that his finishing at been better, and he’s scoring a wide variety of goals.

MDFC Manager

You've focused on the attacking aspects where he's definitely getting more well rounded with some clear good coaching. He's also working a lot harder on the defensive stuff and that is super encouraging as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He looks stronger now, in Ole's interim period he played through the middle but in a way where he wasn't competing physically with CB's, then in the following season he was mainly playing through the left which is still his best position but now he looks like he can compete with those CB's through the middle (his goals against Villa and Wolves I don't think he scores in previous years)

He's still at his best from the left though and a CF in the summer is still a must

You've focused on the attacking aspects where he's definitely getting more well rounded with some clear good coaching. He's also working a lot harder on the defensive stuff and that is super encouraging as well.
Very true. It’s obvious that Ten Hag has pushed him to understand that if you work hard on the defensive phase you inevitably get more goal scoring opportunities.

OL29

I think he was still slightly better back then, he was just as productive and he could beat players at will. He has improved other aspects of his game now though, he’s stronger and can hold off defenders in the box to get his shot away. There’s not much in it but if he does get back to that level of dribbling whilst maintains his current levels of performance he’ll be unstoppable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's better now IMO. He was class in 19/20 - but wasn't a team player (because the situation didn't call for it). Ole wanted him to be an individual and try to do it all himself almost. Now his final 3rd decision making is dramatically improved (always thought it would with a proper coach), he is running down way fewer dead ends, and he's learning to use his body better in the box. Great to see.

This was the natural step up from that season, the annoying thing is that 20/21 and 21/22 were basically wasted for his development due to horrible coaching and forcing him through injuries. 20/21 was still a decent season ultimately but was a step back from 19/20 in general play, now he is pushing on.

captaincantona

Agreed. This is what is making the difference for me. He is really contributing to our overall play both on and off the ball. That’s why he looks more complete just now. A real genuine asset in every sense.

Drizzle

He's much better now. Stronger, wider range of finishes, more decisive in the area.

Remember the geese

He looks physically stronger to me than 19/20. Technical levels and skills were just as good back then. Aside from strength, the main difference is that he is delivering these performances under a competent coach and as part of a team who operate within a modern, tactical framework. Not freestyle FC.

Scottynaldinho

This Rashford reminds me of 2012 Ronaldo. He preserves energy and tracks back only when necessary.

We know he has the quality of just forcing himself through either by running at you or by hitting an absolute rocket. Closest to that Ronaldo I've seen along with Mbappe.

This Rashford reminds me of 2012 Ronaldo. He preserves energy and tracks back only when necessary.

We know he has the quality of just forcing himself through either by running at you or by hitting an absolute rocket. Closest to that Ronaldo I've seen along with Mbappe.
Agreed. Of course not there in productivity yet but stylistically.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He looks like the back and shoulder injuries really did take a toll, especially where his core strength is concerned. He's put the work in over the summer to get fully fit/rehabilitated and, with ten Hag's supreme coaching, he's back to being the player he can be and hopefully more.

ThinkTank@Cafe

1. Balance. He is much harder to knock off the ball.
2. Finishing. Less flashy, more efficient.
3. Decision making. He is not trying to do all by himself relying on his speed only.

With these improvements to his game Marcus might play as a center forward. He can both link up and make runs unlike Martial.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good thread.
I don't think he's as explosive as he was back then, some of his 1 v 1 skills were brilliant, but he has, as many have said, become a much better all round player. He's still encouraged to shoot when appropriate, I believe, as he has a terrific shot on him, but Ten Hag has certainly got him to look for different options.
I would say he is a better player now than then.

dalriada

He's developed more or less along the lines you would have hoped and expected he would, except for his poor season in 2021/22 (whatever the reason was for that, but he says he was mentally and physically exhausted) and the destabilising effects of the COVID seasons and the management instability. I'm sure he's aware that, at 25, he's at a critical point if he's to be remembered as a top player. He must also be thinking about the need to win some silverware before it's too late. So, yes, at the moment he looks on the verge of being a better player.

1. Balance. He is much harder to knock off the ball.
2. Finishing. Less flashy, more efficient.
3. Decision making. He is not trying to do all by himself relying on his speed only.

With these improvements to his game Marcus might play as a center forward. He can both link up and make runs unlike Martial.
Agreed. The balance is definitely a huge improvement. The goal yesterday and against Villa in the cup are testament to that.

Swiss_Red89

In 19/20 Rashford was literally unplayable from mid November until Mid January with his speed and finishing.
But he also was on pens and was able to gain confidence and momentum through them.

This is not the case this season. I think despite looking a bit sharper in 19/20, he seems to be the more mature and complete player this year.
Better decision making, better use of physicality, even flying headers...

I think I'll await the next few months before deciding definitely on this question.
But things are looking very very promising at the moment. Long may it continue.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
IMO he is better back then due to the lack of quality of the squad. He was the one carrying the team at times.

Crashoutcassius

Ole brought him up a level as a goal scorer but didn't seem to get much defensive output from him which is a real failing. Rashford will probably continue to be a confidence player though, not sure many managers would be able to change that

-Supreme-

Rashford back then was deployed in a counter attack setup with less defensive responsibilities, so I can understand why posters think he looked more threatening as that suited his game more IMO and his energy can be preserved for the final third but this of course had a negative impact to the overall balance of the team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think people are forgetting just how good Rashford was in the first half of 19/20. He was a much better dribbler and more successful at knowing when to use tricks and skills to give himself that extra yard, and he was genuinely terrifying the opposition. There are still signs of him doing it now, but he was more consistent with it then. I'd say strength and heading ability are the only things he's maybe doing better now.

He looked like he was truly stepping up to the world class level in 19/20, which is something I wouldn't quite say about him right now. However he does seem to still be improving so I'm hopeful that he might reach that level again.

DSG

He’s not on top form yet. Those peak Ole years he was a lethal finisher at times.

I feel like he’s better coached, but he’s still a ways away from world class.

He’s better at the little things, especially when playing striker.

He has a decent distance to go to be mentioned with wingers like Vinicius or strikers like Kane, Haaland, MBappe etc. Hell, he isn’t even good enough to make England’s first 11.

He has the potential to achieve all of the above and more…

DSG

I think people are forgetting just how good Rashford was in the first half of 19/20. He was a much better dribbler and more successful at knowing when to use tricks and skills to give himself that extra yard, and he was genuinely terrifying the opposition. There are still signs of him doing it now, but he was more consistent with it then. I'd say strength and heading ability are the only things he's maybe doing better now.

He looked like he was truly stepping up to the world class level in 19/20, which is something I wouldn't quite say about him right now. However he does seem to still be improving so I'm hopeful that he might reach that level again.
Agree with much of this

He’s not on top form yet. Those peak Ole years he was a lethal finisher at times.

I feel like he’s better coached, but he’s still a ways away from world class.

He’s better at the little things, especially when playing striker.

He has a decent distance to go to be mentioned with wingers like Vinicius or strikers like Kane, Haaland, MBappe etc. Hell, he isn’t even good enough to make England’s first 11.

He has the potential to achieve all of the above and more…
A week later what about now? Lovely array of finishes in the last week. For me he’s finally surpassed his 2019/2020 form.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Better player now. He's just more mature and less overly flamboyant while focusing more on the team goals rather than individually.
Physically he's more adaptable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Skills

Snitch
:eek: Fecking hell. Those are so counter-intuitive. This season is the worst of the last three by every metric except shooting/goals (where 2019/20 is still better)

My big takeaway from those is that his contribution in 2020/21 was seriously under-rated.

Tweaked it to look at 2021/22 and that takes the crown from this season as the statistically worst season of recent years.
Per 90 it's the second best no? It's worth noting he had a bad end to the season in 19/20 as well - when he came back from the injury, he struggled to get going. Bruno, Martial and Pogba were our best performers post lockdown.

Pre injury 19/20 Rashford was dynamite at times.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Per 90 it's the second best no? It's worth noting he had a bad end to the season in 19/20 as well - when he came back from the injury, he struggled to get going. Bruno, Martial and Pogba were our best performers post lockdown.

Pre injury 19/20 Rashford was dynamite at times.
Not really?

19/20 is better than this season by basically every possible stat.

20/21 is better than 22/23 in terms of assists, SCA, GCA, pass completion, number of passes (by a large margin), touches, touches in attacking third, tackles, interceptions, aerial duel % won. That's a lot of stats!

Obviously, comparing a half season with a full season can be very misleading. But it's interesting that there's so little objective evidence of an "ETH effect" (more defensive effort etc)

MegadrivePerson

Yes, I think he is playing better than ever right now and looks like he's still got more to come.

Last season having to pander to Ronaldo ruined a lot of our attacking players. It's no coincidence that they all look much better this season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes. Levels above as a decision maker and has more to his game than he did for that period. That run under Ole always felt more like great confidence + form but you didn't see the variety that you do know from him (decision making, passes, weak foot ability etc.) Instead it just felt like everything he tried came off, which was great, but not as much of a true evolution as we've seen now.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think he was as good in that spell leading up to when Ole tried to play him with a broken back. Think he still got around 20 goals the next season but he didn't look the same player.

This season he has a bit more maturity to go with it so has more chance of pushing on if he stays fit.

He just needs to break that barrier now where it goes from being a form/confidence thing to him just knowing he is that good. So even when his performance level dips he'll still have the end product. Similar to how Salah stepped up his game. He was god awful/erratic at finishing until he joined Liverpool but now whenever he's got an opportunity you know he'll just back himself and keep his composure. That's what I think Rashford has started to show more recently. He can have a quieter game now and still bang a goal in the second the opposition slip up.

Pronewbie

Peep
Scholesy just made a good point that Rashford looks bigger and stronger this season. Almost Ronaldo-esque. Didn’t notice it myself till the camera focused on Rashford during the warm-up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Which one of yis reminded Rashford that he's good? Disgusting.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I thought it was close a month ago but not much debate now. This is the best he has been.