2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Arsenal have positively surprised me (or well, negatively for me) in this transfer window. I assume it may affect future windows since there will be less money available down the line, but if it works it's definitely worth it. I don't know much about Pepe, but from what I've heard he seem to be a good player.

I assume this means Arsenal will look to play some sort of 4-3-3? With a forward line of Lacazette - Auba - Pepe? Or how do Arsenal fans think you'll line up? If so I struggle to see how you can Fit Özil or Mkhi in there except against teams who park the bus and play with 10 men behind the ball. Although I'm sure there will be some rotation.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Big move, but they have massive areas to address before adding luxury attackers!
This is a common misconception. A decent winger isn't a luxury for us at all. We are crying out for one. It will make a big difference to the way we can attack teams.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Joins Ceballos in the awkward, rangy, potentially good attacking player against the bottom half list.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have positively surprised me (or well, negatively for me) in this transfer window. I assume it may affect future windows since there will be less money available down the line, but if it works it's definitely worth it. I don't know much about Pepe, but from what I've heard he seem to be a good player.

I assume this means Arsenal will look to play some sort of 4-3-3? With a forward line of Lacazette - Auba - Pepe? Or how do Arsenal fans think you'll line up? If so I struggle to see how you can Fit Özil or Mkhi in there except against teams who park the bus and play with 10 men behind the ball. Although I'm sure there will be some rotation.
I think it'll be a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with not too much difference between the systems.

If everybody is healthy we'll probably play Auba--Laca--Pepe across the front. The three midfielders will vary on the opposition and tactics but I expect Xhaka to be largely a mainstay as one of the deeper midfielders (unfortunately) and the two others to be selected from the Torreira-Guendouzi-Ceballos-Ozil group. Assuming Tierney gets over the line, I expect that once everybody is available it'll be Tierney--Sokratis-- Holding--Bellerin as first choice.

Its a decent starting group with a fair amount of upside given the number of younger players involved.

The club does seem to be looking at CBs but I doubt anything happens this window.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal

Ozil but especially MKhi aren't guarenteed to have a spot in the first 11. I assume against the smaller teams we will play Ozil behind Lacazette, with Pepe on the right flank and Aubameyang on the left. Against tougher teams or away from home, Laca, Auba and Pepe in same positions but we will drop Ozil and play 3 CM, With Ceballos the furthest forward.

We can change formations and personnel a lot more smoothly now. More options for Emery now than rely too much on our wingbacks to provide the attacking impetus.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Laca
Auba - Ozil - Pepe
Ceballos - Torreira
Tierney - Sokratis - Holding - Bellerin
Leno
That's what I want to see.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Laca
Auba - Ozil - Pepe
Ceballos - Torreira
Tierney - Sokratis - Holding - Bellerin
Leno
That's what I want to see.
That is probably our strongest team when everyone is fit. Only problem with that is Holding and Bellerin are still some way from returning. Tierney if we sign him won't be available for the start of the season too. So the first few weeks of the season will be tough. Not helped that we are playing both Liverpool and Spurs early on. Just hoping we pick up enough points while we are waiting to get everyone back.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
That is probably our strongest team when everyone is fit. Only problem with that is Holding and Bellerin are still some way from returning. Tierney if we sign him won't be available for the start of the season too. So the first few weeks of the season will be tough. Not helped that we are playing both Liverpool and Spurs early on. Just hoping we pick up enough points while we are waiting to get everyone back.
Laca was in a moon boot after the Lyon game. Also Ceballos (who didn't play against Angers) is apparently visible in the rehabilitation room in the behind the scenes video of Pepe getting the grand tour of our facilities. Typical Arsenal.

I wouldn't be counting on Bellerin and Holding for a while either. Generally it takes two years to get back to your best following an ACL injury. So we really need Raul and co to pull something else from out of the hat. Reading that Emery really wants Koscielny to stay makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure how injured or chronic Umtiti's knee injury is, but with Raul's connection and Barcelona wanting to raise funds for Neymar, we should be all over that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Read back, Mancs are always saying they will be in top three then jaws drop when you finish below us...again and again.
Like when you're 5th and we're 6th? Yeah no one cares

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Laca was in a moon boot after the Lyon game. Also Ceballos (who didn't play against Angers) is apparently visible in the rehabilitation room in the behind the scenes video of Pepe getting the grand tour of our facilities. Typical Arsenal.

I wouldn't be counting on Bellerin and Holding for a while either. Generally it takes two years to get back to your best following an ACL injury. So we really need Raul and co to pull something else from out of the hat. Reading that Emery really wants Koscielny to stay makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure how injured or chronic Umtiti's knee injury is, but with Raul's connection and Barcelona wanting to raise funds for Neymar, we should be all over that.
It is precisely because of our current injury problems we should stay far away from Umtiti's dodgy knees. Imagine we sign him and he breaks down soon after that? Which is a real possibility. We would be utterly fecked then. I'm sure Raul or Edu will be able to find CB, either on loan or for decent price who wouldn't be such a huge gamble.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It is precisely because of our current injury problems we should stay far away from Umtiti's dodgy knees. Imagine we sign him and he breaks down soon after that? Which is a real possibility. We would be utterly fecked then. I'm sure Raul or Edu will be able to find CB, either on loan or for decent price who wouldn't be such a huge gamble.
Is his knee cooked? I saw he's been playing in pre-season.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I didn’t expect us to be this generous during the transfer window.

If we can do as good shipping them out as we have in, I think I’ll be even more excited.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
They're far ahead of us right now. I can see they are building towards a good team and identifying their issues.

We have a long way to go, this has to be the best week in United's transfer window history for us to catch up.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Really?

I admit, i haven't watched a single game in which Pepe played, i just watched the highlights.

He looks clumsy as feck. He get's away with it because of his speed, but feck me, his first touch is lame. Lukaku like.

I honestly don't think he'll be all that much in the PL. The only way i see it - if he somehow manages to fool the refs...get a privileged status like Hazard or Salah.

Otherwise, he'll get mugged a lot.
With all due respect maybe you should watch him in full games to see what kind of a player he is?

You criticise Lukaku but there’s a reason why Inter and Juve are willing to pay big money for him, I’d say in Juve’s case those guys have a better idea of what’s going on then your club (or mine for that matter). Being easy on the eye is all good but being effective is better, last 18 months Pepe has made incredible steps forward and I think he’ll only get better. Might take him a season to settle in but I’m confident he will come good. Players blow up before you know it, when Liverpool signed Salah/Mané people on here laughed. I remember when Van Gaal was after Mané people on here were dismissive and almost thought of him as beneath your club. I’m not saying he will turn out like them but let’s hope so!

Bwuk

I think Pepe will flop from what I’ve seen of him.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Is his knee cooked? I saw he's been playing in pre-season.
He is back now, playing in pre season. However his last 3 lay offs were all knee related injuries. He missed a combined 5 months in space of just over a year.

Not helped that the pain he had in his knee was said to be rare for people at his age. Apparently if his condition worsens, part of his knee cartilage can fully become loose. He also ignored advice to have surgery but instead chose other non surgical treatments to try get better.

Of course we don't know if some of those things have been exaggerated. But we do know he missed a large chunk of the season with knee injuries. It is just too much a gamble to hope he will suddenly stay injury free for the coming season. Even if he somehow stays injury free, I doubt he can come back straight away to the level he was at before the injuries.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Are mods allowed to WUM?
Hmm forum WUM no.1 complaining about wumming?

As for the signing, what was it, 30mil up front for Pepe? I kind of agree with some that I feel midfield or defence is where you should be putting cash.

And im not convinced at all by Torreira and Ceballos in a midfield two. Should be competitive with the other teams for 3rd down. They are not catching Liverpool or City, but then neither is anyone else on the basis of their xfers so far this window.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I didn’t expect us to be this generous during the transfer window.

If we can do as good shipping them out as we have in, I think I’ll be even more excited.
Bielick is going for 10 million to Derby it seems. Asano for 1 million.

Seems like we are finally getting some decent returns on players that won't get a chance here.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He is back now, playing in pre season. However his last 3 lay offs were all knee related injuries. He missed a combined 5 months in space of just over a year.

Not helped that the pain he had in his knee was said to be rare for people at his age. Apparently if his condition worsens, part of his knee cartilage can fully become loose. He also ignored advice to have surgery but instead chose other non surgical treatments to try get better.

Of course we don't know if some of those things have been exaggerated. But we do know he missed a large chunk of the season with knee injuries. It is just too much a gamble to hope he will suddenly stay injury free for the coming season. Even if he somehow stays injury free, I doubt he can come back straight away to the level he was at before the injuries.
Sounds like he's going down the Ledley King path, unfortunately. Once that meniscus erodes you're in trouble.

charlenefan

Question; if Pepe was second choice behind Zaha does that suggest he's a lesser player than Zaha? Because if it does then I really cant see what the fuss is about Arsenal signing him?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Question; if Pepe was second choice behind Zaha does that suggest he's a lesser player than Zaha? Because if it does then I really cant see what the fuss is about Arsenal signing him?
Didn't Arsenal offer loads less for Zaha than they paid for this chap? To me it seems like they tried to get a bargain on a BMW, failed so said feck it and paid full price on an Audi.

charlenefan

Didn't Arsenal offer loads less for Zaha than they paid for this chap? To me it seems like they tried to get a bargain on a BMW, failed so said feck it and paid full price on an Audi.
Didn't think of that, could well be the case

SSN suggested Palace would never have agreed to the staged payments Lille did so that's why Zaha was never on

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The fuss is all relative now, isn't it?

There are multiple factors - United have been crying out for a right winger for years now and are still yet to sign one, so are facing the prospect of another season of Mata and Lingard out on the right. Arsenal have been crying out for a dynamic winger too.

United and Arsenal have both underperformed these last few years based on the club's stature, now both are battling each other for a spot in the top four.

A top young dynamic right winger is available (at a large sum), one that had a real breakout season and was second only to Mbappe (40) in score involvements in France. He scored 22 goals and had 11 assists.

This signing strengthened a top four rival of yours, and it was in a position that United have needed to sort out for a while.

Like President confirmed that multiple clubs, including United contacted him about purchasing Pepe. Though only Napoli and Arsenal got far enough into dealing to be able to offer Pepe a contract - I'm just speculating, but I imagine that this is because United are wrapped up with the Lukaku/Dybala mega-deal and trying to sign Maguire.

But I think probably the main thing is that had United completed other signings (Maguire, Dybala and Fernandes) prior to Pepe signing for us there would be much less unrest on here. Right now it's a bit of an optics thing, given it seems that United are struggling with other deals (which I imagine will all get done before the window closes).

As for who was first choice? It seems that we were trying for both for a little while. Pepe himself mentioned that he spoke to Kolo Toure at the AFCON about coming, which was weeks ago (?). But Crystal Palace wanted a larger portion upfront which we couldn't do, and thankfully Lille was fine with it.

Alabaster Codify7

They will certainly outscore us and if we don't sign Maguire, probably won't concede many more than us.

As it stands, they are favourites for 4th In my opinion, by the skin of their teeth.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Offered £60 million, whereas we are paying £72 million for Pepe.

Crystal Palace also wanted a larger portion upfront.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They've got lots of offensive options now. Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, Iwobi, Nelson and Mkhitaryan.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Offered £60 million, whereas we are paying £72 million for Pepe.

Crystal Palace also wanted a larger portion upfront.
That isn't too much of an issue, if you can arrange for a bank to cover the upfront payment. I think we never wanted to pay more than 50m for Zaha, while the club seems much more comfortable with that outlay on a younger player.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Scoring goals was never their problem though
Genuine question, did you actually watch us play last season? Or are you basing this opinion from watching us 3 years ago under Wenger?