2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Chelsea are a strange side nowdays. Frank has them playing some good stuff & they should be a lot higher up the table than they currently are. However there seems to be a lack of the clinical edge we've seen over the years with some of the great Chelsea sides. Remains to be seen if Lampard can fix that over time when they're able to compete in the transfer market again.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Chelsea are playing well and we were fortunate to get away with the win today. Credit to Lampard for making a positive impact so early. And credit to the team for the fight. They need reinforcements at the back imo, but it looks like Lampard is laying a good foundation.

Walters_19_MuFc

I love Lampard and love the way he's got Chelsea playing. There's a clear way he wants to play, and this is twice now he's gone toe to toe with Liverpool and will be disappointed to not get anything from the games.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Been hearing for weeks now these two words: "good" and "unlucky". Sounds like the excuse of a loser.

Their ability to concede goals is only comparable to their inability to score their chances.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Fantastic effort by Chelsea. And what a player Kante is! Coming into the side after a month long break - wonder goal, as usual great defensive marking. Just brilliant.
Lampard seems to be doing a great job in contrast to Ole currently.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Been hearing for weeks now these two words: "good" and "unlucky". Sounds like the excuse of a loser.

Their ability to concede goals is only comparable to their inability to score their chances.
Going on twitter and reading about how everyone’s buzzing despite the results is making me feel sick. Somehow last season was a disaster and this season has everyone’s spirits lifted.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
A lot of the movements of Chelsea against Liverpool were inherited from Sarri's time honestly. It's funny that people only praise it now because it's Lamps.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
A lot of the movements of Chelsea against Liverpool were inherited from Sarri's time honestly. It's funny that people only praise it now because it's Lamps.
Nothing wrong with that. Great managers leave their imprints on teams all the time. I think even Conte's defensive pragmatism is still present. But have to credit Sarri for drilling this team for playing out from the back, and having Jorginho orchestrate.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Going on twitter and reading about how everyone’s buzzing despite the results is making me feel sick. Somehow last season was a disaster and this season has everyone’s spirits lifted.
I disagree.

If it was happening for years fair enough but when you have such a young squad there's times performance can take precedence over result. For example, if we played Willian, Giroud, Pedro, and Luiz (kept him hypothetically) all against Liverpool won 1-0 with park the bus tactics and a Robertson own goal, 3 points up in the table but in terms of progress to where we want to be, step back.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I disagree.

If it was happening for years fair enough but when you have such a young squad there's times performance can take precedence over result. For example, if we played Willian, Giroud, Pedro, and Luiz (kept him hypothetically) all against Liverpool won 1-0 with park the bus tactics and a Robertson own goal, 3 points up in the table but in terms of progress to where we want to be, step back.
Yeah I agree with this. Klopp and Rodgers both had poor first seasons in the Premier League, but most Liverpool fans could see what they were trying to do.

If there's a clear plan and style of play being implemented by Lampard, Chelsea fans won't care if they have a few bad results along the way. Besides, you lot have won everything since 2004 so what difference does a season with lower expectations make in the long run?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I agree with this. Klopp and Rodgers both had poor first seasons in the Premier League, but most Liverpool fans could see what they were trying to do.

If there's a clear plan and style of play being implemented by Lampard, Chelsea fans won't care if they have a few bad results along the way. Besides, you lot have won everything since 2004 so what difference does a season with lower expectations make in the long run?
Defiently. Way I see it is you and City are far too good this season and probably will be next also so we may aswell build something sustainable in the meantime and build a squad capable of either competing or pouncing on a drop off whichever happens first.

I can subscribe to a quick fix when there's a serious chance of the title but doing it just to get to the top 4? feck that.

AshRK

It's all nice and fun playing some good football for 20 mins or so but if you keep on losing the pressure is mount (Not mason) to rise. They are an easier side to play against and many bottom sides will also fancy facing them as they leave too much space open for opponents to attack. It will be interesting to see how much patience Roman has with Lampard. Considering how they are run, won't be surprised if Lampard is sacked before Ole oif the results don't improve.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
Last season was the most dull, insipid, soul destroyingly boring I’ve ever experienced following Chelsea. I’ll take up and down results with some excitement over that any day.

No Hazard, no signings, inexperienced manager, rebuild needed...I think it’s fair to adjust expectations accordingly.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Last season was the most dull, insipid, soul destroyingly boring I’ve ever experienced following Chelsea. I’ll take up and down results with some excitement over that any day.
While i'd agree it didn't live up to the hype it wasn't even the most boring football we played in 2 years let alone ever.

Football under Sarri was a lot better than the garbage Conte produced in his season 2 and don't get me started on the Jose meltdown season.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I think Reece James is going to answer a lot of our current problems.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Will it last long? We United also played great in the early days of Ole's era.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
I disagree.

I fully understand where we are in the process and have embraced almost everyone in the process. I can very much do so without Willian, Zouma, Michy and Barkley. I just think people are taking it way too far with the love bc it’s Frank and the blue boys. The drooling over the play without the results is literally what Sarri was criticized for. Sarri finished 3rd, won a trophy, secured CL, integrated CHO and Ruben slowly into the squad and helped Kante progress into a player the public would have never thought he’d be able to be. Oh and he laid the foundation for Frank’s style, easing the transition for him when quite frankly we need as much help as we can get. My problem lies with the other fans, not the project itself.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It's all nice and fun playing some good football for 20 mins or so but if you keep on losing the pressure is mount (Not mason) to rise. They are an easier side to play against and many bottom sides will also fancy facing them as they leave too much space open for opponents to attack. It will be interesting to see how much patience Roman has with Lampard. Considering how they are run, won't be surprised if Lampard is sacked before Ole oif the results don't improve.
We’re 11th but it’s worth noting there are only 3 points between 11th and 3rd currently. Losing to Liverpool at the moment was exactly what any rational person would expect given the current situation and we actually played really well and could have gotten a result. Now we have Kante and Ruduger back, we’re unlikely to be anywhere near as open at the back as we have been previously too.

After all the energy and money invested into the youth system, I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of Roman sacking Frank as long as we don’t totally disintegrate. We’re playing well (with obvious room for lots of improvement), have put in a really good performance against the league leader, and still have several great players to come back from injury.

It feels like a really positive time to me.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We’re 11th but it’s worth noting there are only 3 points between 11th and 3rd currently. Losing to Liverpool at the moment was exactly what any rational person would expect given the current situation and we actually played really well and could have gotten a result. Now we have Kante and Ruduger back, we’re unlikely to be anywhere near as open at the back as we have been previously too.

After all the energy and money invested into the youth system, I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of Roman sacking Frank as long as we don’t totally disintegrate. We’re playing well (with obvious room for lots of improvement), have put in a really good performance against the league leader, and still have several great players to come back from injury.

It feels like a really positive time to me.
And we're also not playing Sarri's shit, predictably boring football. There's that too ;)

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Weird game yesterday. Tammy missed 3, Pedro had 2, Alonso had 1. Don’t think Pedro or Willian are really pulling their weight at the moment and hope their spots are genuinely up for grabs every game. We haven’t had options like this in I don’t know how long. Tammy’s link up play and effort is what puts him ahead of everyone for me really. Hope he starts burying those chances. I’d love to know what Emerson-Rudiger-Tomori-James looks like. Kepa’s weakness is his unwillingness to come out and protect his 6 yard box during crosses and set pieces and relying on his reflexes. Barkley has to look down at his feet when he’s controlling a ball and is super slow in his decision making unless he knows trying to curl 1 from 20 is an option.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
Willian got his first and only goal for the season. Can’t believe how awful his finishing is. The only reason he got that goal was because of the deflection. Better off playing pulisic and Hudson-odoi than the 2 OAPs.

And those who were laughing at Jorginho, he bossed another game in midfield. Not the most athletic but a true leader and constantly pressing. Love the dude.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Mount and Willian have looked so bad. Dumb formation to play given our players.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Even before his goal, that was one of Willian's best games in a very long time.
Willian was decent but I just hate the 3-4-2-1 for our personnel. I know it came good vs. Wolves but so much of that was counterattacking after Tomori fluked a goal.

In all honesty, I think switching to a 3ATB formation as a defensive measure makes way more sense. It's just far too easy for teams to sit in a low block against us while the ball moves between our defenders - Willian and Mount just don't have the brilliance of Hazard on the ball and we lack that spark in the attacking third. For me the team looks much better in 4-3-3 or even in 4-2-3-1, though the latter formation is suspect without Kante and his horizontal mobility.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Willian was decent but I just hate the 3-4-2-1 for our personnel. I know it came good vs. Wolves but so much of that was counterattacking after Tomori fluked a goal.

In all honesty, I think switching to a 3ATB formation as a defensive measure makes way more sense. It's just far too easy for teams to sit in a low block against us while the ball moves between our defenders - Willian and Mount just don't have the brilliance of Hazard on the ball and we lack that spark in the attacking third. For me the team looks much better in 4-3-3 or even in 4-2-3-1, though the latter formation is suspect without Kante and his horizontal mobility.
As soon as we switched to a back 4, with Hudson-Odoi on the pitch, we looked more fluid and dangerous. Lille tired as the game wore on, but we didn't put them under pressure until the formation switch.

I like that we've got several different formations and systems in our back pocket and that we can move in between them as and when we need, but ideally, you're right, we should stick to a back 4 and adjust the formation in game when the situation demands it.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
Even though he scored the winning goal, I thought Willian was poor again last night. I really hope he leaves us this summer. He lost the ball which led to a counter attack that eventually led to the goal.

He is constantly wasteful with the ball, always makes the wrong choice and needs 10 shots to get one goal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
As soon as we switched to a back 4, with Hudson-Odoi on the pitch, we looked more fluid and dangerous. Lille tired as the game wore on, but we didn't put them under pressure until the formation switch.

I like that we've got several different formations and systems in our back pocket and that we can move in between them as and when we need, but ideally, you're right, we should stick to a back 4 and adjust the formation in game when the situation demands it.
Totally agree. And I definitely love that Lampard isn't married to one formation; he's done a pretty good job in my view of adapting the team's shape based on which personnel are available.