2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

Johan07

We should never have gotten rid if it was a case of not being able to replace him if he left. And I'd honestly rather have not signed Lo Celso if it meant not replacing the best right back at the club.

Aurier is a disaster and KWP is, in my opinion, never going to be good enough to start for a top six club. The ability just isn't there.
I understand the frustration, but there was plenty of rumours of Spurs shopping Aurier and Rose around before the window even opened. No takers though, and maybe that was a big reason for that decision. Trippier is obviously a far superior player to Aurier.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Because he was utterly shite and blamed everybody else in the side for him gifting multiple goals in matches throughout the season which wound everybody up. He simply had to go.
And yet he's great for Atletico and his defensive issues don't seem to be an issue. Right now he's keeping TAA, AWB and Walker out of the starting lineup for England.

Meanwhile, we're watching Aurier act like a clown.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And yet he's great for Atletico and his defensive issues don't seem to be an issue. Right now he's keeping TAA, AWB and Walker out of the starting lineup for England.

I couldn't wait to see the back of Trippier and am glad he is gone, I also can't wait to see the back of Aurier.

Let's not rewrite history here, Trippier is a very average player who was utterly terrible last season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I couldn't wait to see the back of Trippier and am glad he is gone, I also can't wait to see the back of Aurier.

Let's not rewrite history here, Trippier is a very average player who was utterly terrible last season.

Trippier had one very good and one very poor season with us. Even second season it was clear he was the best of a bad bunch.

I thought he was terrible and wasn't upset he left, but not replacing him was a ridiculous decision. Would you really rather that he leave and not get replaced? Because at no point was I glad he was gone, unless we dipped in to the market and actually replaced him.

And is he a very average player? Because he looks great at Atletico, and for a good while he looked great at us, as well as being great for England at the WC. Last season yes, he was a joke, but players have had bad seasons before under a coach they've maybe fallen out with a bit. Trippier himself admitted it was a poor season for him.

JakeRockwell

He's only keeping TAA, AWB and Walker out of the England lineup because Southgate is clueless

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
He looks to be playing pretty well to me., and he’s been great for Atletico this season, arguably better than any of those three.
TAA has 1 goal and 3 assists so far this season. He also lifted the European Cup a few months ago. He is miles better than Trippier.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
He also lifted the European Cup a few months ago.
Weird/pointless thing to say.

They both played in that game, and the result had very little to do with the individual performance of either.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
TAA has 1 goal and 3 assists so far this season. He also lifted the European Cup a few months ago. He is miles better than Trippier.

TAA is great going forward, not so good coming back. Trippier is similar but under Simeone seems to have improved, so right now appears to be Southgate’s man.

I think TAA is the better player, with the far higher ceiling, but it’s undeniable that Trippier is doing great work this season and that’s why he’s getting the nod.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
TAA is great going forward, not so good coming back. Trippier is similar but under Simeone seems to have improved, so right now appears to be Southgate’s man.

I think TAA is the better player, with the far higher ceiling, but it’s undeniable that Trippier is doing great work this season and that’s why he’s getting the nod.
He is fecking crap - he may be looking alright at the moment but he wasn't good enough for Spurs. It is a scandal that we didnt buy another right back but this Trippier love-in is laughable.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He is fecking crap - he may be looking alright at the moment but he wasn't good enough for Spurs. It is a scandal that we didnt buy another right back but this Trippier love-in is laughable.
Christ .. ok. He had a great first season with us, was great for England at the WC, had one bad season for us and has been great for Atletico thus far this season and is first choice for England, but he's 'fecking crap?' purely because of that one poor season? How many players in our current side are 'fecking crap' too then?

I'd take Trippier back in a second over our current options. He's far from perfect and I aimed plenty of criticism his way last season, but for me he's clearly showing that under the right coach and in the right system he can be a competent player: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ippier-quick-impression-atletico-madrid-spurs.

How is it a 'love in'? I wouldn't have been too bothered if he was replaced, but he wasn't. And he's clearly showing that he can offer something to a top side, which isn't the case with our other options. We sold the strongest option we had there (whether you like him or not, he objectively was that) and didn't look to bring anybody in as a replacement.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Christ .. ok. He had a great first season with us, was great for England at the WC, had one bad season for us and has been great for Atletico thus far this season and is first choice for England, but he's 'fecking crap?' purely because of that one poor season? How many players in our current side are 'fecking crap' too then?

I'd take Trippier back in a second over our current options. He's far from perfect and I aimed plenty of criticism his way last season, but for me he's clearly showing that under the right coach and in the right system he can be a competent player: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ippier-quick-impression-atletico-madrid-spurs.

How is it a 'love in'? I wouldn't have been too bothered if he was replaced, but he wasn't. And he's clearly showing that he can offer something to a top side, which isn't the case with our other options. We sold the strongest option we had there (whether you like him or not, he objectively was that) and didn't look to bring anybody in as a replacement.
I agree on the replacement issue - it is awful.

Trippier was one of the worst players I've seen at Spurs in many years last season. He single handedly lost us multiple goals throughout the season and appeared to blame everybody else but himself. I celebrated when we sold him. One good world cup doesn't mean he is a good player - he was average at best at Spurs even in his 'great first season' (honestly no idea why you think it was great as he couldnt even nail down a regular starting spot - he was our back-up right back). Let's get real here, he is not very good.

Trippier was one of the worst players I've seen at Spurs in many years last season. He single handedly lost us multiple goals throughout the season and appeared to blame everybody else but himself. I celebrated when we sold him. One good world cup doesn't mean he is a good player - he was average at best at Spurs even in his 'great first season' (honestly no idea why you think it was great as he couldnt even nail down a regular starting spot - he was our back-up right back). Let's get real here, he is not very good.
Balaks please!!! :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

:lol: Jesus.

I think you're being incredibly harsh on him before last season. He got 5 league assists in 17/18 and was pushing out Walker (alright there were disputes which contributed to that, but his performances were good) as well as getting 3 assists in the Champions League. The defensive issues were always there but when the system was right and he had cover, he was a reliable threat from wing back, earning his England call up and eventually becoming first choice for his country as well as his club. Are you sure you're not just a teensy bit blinded by your dislike for him?

I agree in 18/19 he fell apart, and on the back of that I wasn't too arsed when he was sold. But the way he's improved and shone at Atletico does make me wonder whether his shite form in 18/19 was purely down to him, or a larger indication that some players in our team are just not playing to their level, especially some of our defensive players. Either way, even if is crap, I know we can agree that if you sell a player because he's not good enough, you at least have to bring forward another option who is good enough .. which we didn't do, at all.

romufc

I'd take Trippier back in a second over our current options. He's far from perfect and I aimed plenty of criticism his way last season, but for me he's clearly showing that under the right coach and in the right system he can be a competent player
Let's get real here, he is not very good.
Trippier is not someone that will majorly improve your team, but the lack of options is what is causing the issue.

This is very similar to what United fans feel about Lukaku and Herrera. All the fans were Lukaku out but lack of options has led to some fans thinking Herrera and Lukaku would have changed the fortunes of this team.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
:lol: Jesus.

I think you're being incredibly harsh on him before last season. He got 5 league assists in 17/18 and was pushing out Walker (alright there were disputes which contributed to that, but his performances were good) as well as getting 3 assists in the Champions League. The defensive issues were always there but when the system was right and he had cover, he was a reliable threat from wing back, earning his England call up and eventually becoming first choice for his country as well as his club. Are you sure you're not just a teensy bit blinded by your dislike for him?

I agree in 18/19 he fell apart, and on the back of that I wasn't too arsed when he was sold. But the way he's improved and shone at Atletico does make me wonder whether his shite form in 18/19 was purely down to him, or a larger indication that some players in our team are just not playing to their level, especially some of our defensive players. Either way, even if is crap, I know we can agree that if you sell a player because he's not good enough, you at least have to bring forward another option who is good enough .. which we didn't do, at all.
Maybe I'm being harsh but honestly I've never wanted a player out of the club (in recent times) more than I wanted Trippier out by the end of last season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe I'm being harsh but honestly I've never wanted a player out of the club (in recent times) more than I wanted Trippier out by the end of last season.
I do think you're being harsh, possibly because of a personal dislike for him. Which I get because yeah, 18/19 was awful, but Aurier for example is so much worse as a player. Now there's one who I will fecking glad to see the back of.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I do think you're being harsh, possibly because of a personal dislike for him. Which I get because yeah, 18/19 was awful, but Aurier for example is so much worse as a player. Now there's one who I will fecking glad to see the back of.
Oh I'd happily drive him out of London myself at this stage. Although at least he doesn't blame everybody else for his own mistakes - that is why I ended up really disliking Trippier.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Oh I'd happily drive him out of London myself at this stage. Although at least he doesn't blame everybody else for his own mistakes - that is why I ended up really disliking Trippier.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ld-have-done-better-for-tottenham-this-season

Trippier did own up to his shite fest, in fairness. All a bit too little too late but he did at least eventually hold his hands up, and I do think he's a player who has ability, and has shown that. Certainly he's more of an asset than a few of the players who remain in the team.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ld-have-done-better-for-tottenham-this-season

Trippier did own up to his shite fest, in fairness. All a bit too little too late but he did at least eventually hold his hands up, and I do think he's a player who has ability, and has shown that. Certainly he's more of an asset than a few of the players who remain in the team.
Easy to say that on your way out - he didn't take ownership for his crapness throughout last season and by all accounts caused major problems in the dressing room as a result.

Supports
England
And is he a very average player? Because he looks great at Atletico, and for a good while he looked great at us, as well as being great for England at the WC. Last season yes, he was a joke, but players have had bad seasons before under a coach they've maybe fallen out with a bit. Trippier himself admitted it was a poor season for him.
Surprised you didn't mention the fact that Trippier was playing through low level injury for most of last season. That small fact has gone massively underappreciated and it's a big deal in context.

At the elite levels of any sport, losing even 10% as a result of not being fully fit is the difference between the PL and Championship. Diminishing returns and marginal gains are overwhelming at that level.

I think his form probably could've returned over time at Spurs but it sounds like the fresh start has really been beneficial for him, especially leaving the baggage, fan criticism and apparent bad blood at Spurs behind him.

As a supporter of my country only, I'm thrilled that he's gone abroad and made a good impression on the fans of an elite foreign club. I was pleased with his recent England performance too. I'm pleased for him on a personal level that he's managed to turn things around. He looks happy at Atletico.

OTOH, if I were a Spurs supporter, I'd be pretty disappointed that he was let go so easily, particularly now that he seems to be playing much better than anyone left in his position at my club. I'd probably also be disappointed by how quickly my fellow fans were prepared to bin him off and the fervent level of criticism bestowed upon him relative to the leniency extended to other, more popular underperformers.

I've seen Spurs supporters pointing to Rose's shit performances recently and pairing them with the club's apparent desire to sell Rose over the summer as evidence that "Poch still knows best" (or at least better than us). I'd argue that Trippier is a strong counterexample to that line of logic.

From a neutral perspective empathising with a non-neutral perspective, I completely agree with you.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Surprised you didn't mention the fact that Trippier was playing through low level injury for most of last season. That small fact has gone massively underappreciated and it's a big deal in context.

At the elite levels of any sport, losing even 10% as a result of not being fully fit is the difference between the PL and Championship. Diminishing returns and marginal gains are overwhelming at that level.

I think his form probably could've returned over time at Spurs but it sounds like the fresh start has really been beneficial for him, especially leaving the baggage, fan criticism and apparent bad blood at Spurs behind him.

As a supporter of my country only, I'm thrilled that he's gone abroad and made a good impression on the fans of an elite foreign club. I was pleased with his recent England performance too. I'm pleased for him on a personal level that he's managed to turn things around. He looks happy at Atletico.

OTOH, if I were a Spurs supporter, I'd be pretty disappointed that he was let go so easily, particularly now that he seems to be playing much better than anyone left in his position at my club. I'd probably also be disappointed by how quickly my fellow fans were prepared to bin him off and the fervent level of criticism bestowed upon him relative to the leniency extended to other, more popular underperformers.

I've seen Spurs supporters pointing to Rose's shit performances recently and pairing them with the club's apparent desire to sell Rose over the summer as evidence that "Poch still knows best" (or at least better than us). I'd argue that Trippier is a strong counterexample to that line of logic.

From a neutral perspective empathising with a non-neutral perspective, I completely agree with you.
Trippier had a bit of an attitude problem if the rumours are to be believed, he wasn't binned, he actively wanted to leave. Trippier's biggest problem is his lack of pace and gets turned far to easy, he is a very good footballer and I said at the time he would do very well in Spain due to his technical ability on he ball.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
What football manager in their right mind would openly refuse the offer of new signings?

I mean, it's Christmas. Who doesn't want new toys for Christmas?
Seems odd, I would have thought he would be happy to get rid of all the players who want out and get some fresh faces in the door. They are going to have to get an Eriksen replacement you would imagine. Dybala, Fernandes, Isco?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Poch has been known to talk a lot of shite btw, I doubt it’s good practice for a manager to talk publicly about new signings when his team is performing poorly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's a good video and summed up well. Group of players over achieved and lost the motivation. Squad refresh didn't happen for various reasons and also players didn't like low wages even after the 2nd position. Also few players weren't happy when Levy's wages was known.

City, Liverpool completely changed their teams, so have the youthful energy in the team, Spurs didn't do that. That's why refreshing squad is so important, something SAF said many times.

That's a good video and summed up well. Group of players over achieved and lost the motivation. Squad refresh didn't happen for various reasons and also players didn't like low wages even after the 2nd position. Also few players weren't happy when Levy's wages was known.

City, Liverpool completely changed their teams, so have the youthful energy in the team, Spurs didn't do that. That's why refreshing squad is so important, something SAF said many times.
I agree, it also explains why their style of play has changed, they don't have the players for that high press anymore. Poch likes young players that can run and have energy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I have said this before, I think they are likely in worse situation of rebuilding process than us. Toby, Vertonghen, Rose & Eriksen are in the verge of leaving the club and 3 of them are likely leaving for free which is not a good thing for a team like Spurs who is financially worse than us. Still haven't find a replacement for Trippier. Apart from Ndombele, I think their midfield is still in a mess.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Apart from Ndombele, I think their midfield is still in a mess.
A midfield consisting of Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele, 3 full internationals for top tier sides, is ‘A mess?’

I think we have decent talent in that area. Could probably do with another attacking mid when Eriksen goes, but far from a mess. Just needs Lo Celso to live up to his billing and Ndombele to settle a bit and actually get a defined role .. then we’re sorted.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Cant watch the video in work but I'd agree with everything you have said.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
A midfield consisting of Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele, 3 full internationals for top tier sides, is ‘A mess?’

I think we have decent talent in that area. Could probably do with another attacking mid when Eriksen goes, but far from a mess. Just needs Lo Celso to live up to his billing and Ndombele to settle a bit and actually get a defined role .. then we’re sorted.
I will consider Lo Celso more of an attacking mid.

I was referring to the likes of Dier, Winks & Sissoko. Yes I don't rate three of them as good enough for rebuilding process into success even though they are international footballer. Winks might have a hope but still can't see his potential. Ndombele is the only positive in your midfield which I did mention "apart from him".