2019/20 TAG Heuer Young Player of the Season - Rashford, Martial and Greenwood all nominated

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Trent will be the favourite for this I would've thought?

Man Utd trio among those in contention for new award celebrating achievements of Premier League's prodigious talents

Eight players have been nominated for the inaugural TAG Heuer Young Player of the Season award.

The prize, which is new in 2019/20, goes to the best-performing player who was aged 23 or younger at the start of the campaign.

You can cast your vote by visiting the TAG Heuer website up until 18:00 BST on Monday 10 August.

The supporters' vote will be combined with the choices from a panel of experts to decide the winner.

TAG Heuer Young Player shortlist
Trent Alexander-Arnold (LIV)

Finishing second to Kevin De Bruyne for the Playmaker award with 13 assists, while also scoring four goals, the 21-year-old delivered outstanding attacking contributions from right-back as he played an instrumental role in Liverpool's title triumph.

Jack Grealish (AVL)
Aston Villa's captain, who turned 24 in 2019/20, led by example, scoring eight goals and providing six assists. His strike at West Ham United on the final day ultimately secured the 1-1 draw that kept Villa in the Premier League.

Mason Greenwood (MUN)
Manchester United's 18-year-old striker enjoyed a breakthrough campaign, scoring 10 Premier League goals despite only making 12 starts from his 31 appearances. His ability to finish powerfully with either foot marked him out as a special talent.

Dean Henderson (SHU)
One of Sheffield United's star performers, 23-year-old goalkeeper Henderson kept 13 clean sheets and made 97 saves as the promoted side finished ninth.

Anthony Martial (MUN)
The Frenchman, 24, moved up front and excelled as Man Utd's central striker, scoring 17 goals in 32 matches as he surpassed 50 Premier League career goals in 2019/20. He also provided six assists.

Mason Mount (CHE)
Chelsea's 21-year-old Academy graduate started 32 of his 37 matches in his first Premier League season, contributing seven goals and five assists. His free-kick against Wolverhampton Wanderers on the final day paved the way for a 2-0 win which secured a top-four finish.

Christian Pulisic (CHE)
The 21-year-old American was a big hit in his first Premier League campaign, scoring nine goals and supplying four assists as his pace and trickery brought a new dimension to the Chelsea attack.

Marcus Rashford (MUN)
Rashford, 22, scored 17 Premier League goals, his best tally in a season, and set up another seven as Man Utd went 14 matches unbeaten to finish third.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1744535

Deery

Dreary
Is there any chance of Henderson being a dark horse in this he has been brilliant all season, in fact most have really good award this year..

Martial in what his 5th season and Grealish shouldn’t be in this. A bit like when Sterling and Kane were nominated/ won a few years back.

Once you’ve reached a certain no. Of first team appearances you should be excluded.

Amarsdd

Four United players on the list and still surprised AWB wasn't on it. Anyway, its obvious TAA will win it.

sewey89

Arsenal fans unhappy on twitter that Saka wasn't included - But I've no idea who you'd put him in ahead of

E-mal

Trent deserves it but I voted for one of our own. Yeah, am bias. I know

sewey89

This is a public vote? Pulisic could get it.

American fanboys online make the Messi/Ronaldo squad look like amatuers.
Public vote combined with a panel of experts - So basically no.. public vote will mean jack shit

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surely the cut off shouldn't be about age but about the number of seasons in the league. I think this award should be about young players breaking out rather than just being young, so players should only be eligible in their first 2 seasons.

Grealish made his league debut in 2013/2014. Trent is only 21, but he has 93 league games and 30 CL games under his belt, he's about to enter his 5th pro season. Martial is about enter his 9th season. Hardly fair that someone like Greenwood is competing against players of that calibre with that level of experience.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Public vote combined with a panel of experts - So basically no.. public vote will mean jack shit
Aw, thats a shame. Always fun to see a meltdown when these things get hijacked.

Was it last season when Kane missed out on a Spurs "player of the decade" to Peter Crouch? Funny shit!

sewey89

Aw, thats a shame. Always fun to see a meltdown when these things get hijacked.

Was it last season when Kane missed out on a Spurs "player of the decade" to Peter Crouch? Funny shit!
:lol: I can't remember that, but I can remember a liverpool one where United fans hijacked it for Balotelli to get the award and they ended up pulling the award altogether

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Martial? Isnt he 24? Whats the cut of?
In society you're considered a young person until you turn 26, i'm guessing the decision makers here went by similar guidelines.

Mike Smalling

Trent is probably the most deserving winner, but he is definitely not getting my vote :p

Also, 6 out of the 8 are English - quite promising for the national team. It's coming home!

jackal&hyde

I use to be a youth worker and courses, volunteer opportunity's, housing projects etc dedicated for 'young people' were almost always 16-25.
Interesting. In football you have the U21 at national level, U23 as well. Where i am you can have some government benefits when buying a house if you are under 36 i think. It's an interesting discussion this on what is young, for another thread though.

Blood Mage

TAA is the obvious pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood snatch it.

vodrake

Greenwood will be eligible for this award for another 6 seasons, that's a bit mental :lol:

RashyForPM

Arsenal fans unhappy on twitter that Saka wasn't included - But I've no idea who you'd put him in ahead of
Maybe VAR will get him in. Then they’ll claim another trophy from that and say how they’re bigger than us and Chelsea.