2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Only concern with Bernie (other than age) is that his allure in 2016 was largely based on him being an alternative to Hillary and her establishmentarian views, which made him more attractive to many Dems. On his own however, he seems to lose that allure a bit and turn back into the same old dull Bernie that we've known over the decades.

Last night he debated Lyin' Ted Cruz over tax policy and didn't exactly perform at the same standard as he did last year.

What? No it isnt. He's still the most popular politician in the country.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...popular-politician-in-america-poll-says-vgtrn

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You said he lost allure and turned into dull Bernie. He clearly hasn't, which is the point of posting how popular he still is.
He has lost some of his allure which is completely natural since he isn't running any more. The euphoria has dissipated and he will have to create it again if he wants to achieve what he did last year. Being popular in polls in the present doesn't mean much since the only alternatives over the past year were Hillary, Trump, and nobody else on the Dem side.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He hasn't lost allure. What are you basing that on?
The fact that he isn't running for anything. He's simply another politician right now. The momentum he generated last year has dissipated, although he could regain it if he launches another campaign.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hardly an accomplishment when you're being juxtaposed against Trump.

The enthusiasm of his campaign last year has dissipated a lot. He turned some of his supporters off by endorsing Hillary and has not fared particularly well in his two mock debates against Ted Cruz this year. Add to that the fact that he would be 79/80 during the next campaign and its easy to see it wont be a slam dunk.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
hes being juxtaposed against every other politican in the country. hes the most popular politician in the country. youre just saying your personal opinion and thinking it carries more weight than the best evidence of actual popularity we have

Raoul

Admin
Staff
hes being juxtaposed against every other politican in the country. hes the most popular politician in the country. youre just saying your personal opinion and thinking it carries more weight than the best evidence of actual popularity we have
His "popularity" is down to the fact that there are no alternatives to compare him against. Hillary is out of the game and Trump is President, so its obvious that those are the only two who he can be compared against. Unless you think the average respondent is comparing him to the likes of Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, and Liz Warren, which doesn't seem realistic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Boris Johnson should regain his US citizenship and have a go at it.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I hope the dems come up with a new, young and brilliant candidate. I don't like Hillary and while I'm a big fan of Bernie, I fear he'll be too old by 2020, nevermind 2023-2024.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Someone mentioned that the media would savage Michelle Obama and they probably would but something tells me she'd fecking love it and fight back. Imagine her in a debate with Trump. Barack might be reserved and a gent because Michelle is the real steel in that relationship. Something tells me she'd repeatedly tear Trump a new one over and over and over again.
Why the feck would someone with no elected experience and who isn't even a politician be the best candidate out of the 360m or so Americans?

I swear politics is just turning into an even shitter version of Celebrity Big Brother.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope the dems come up with a new, young and brilliant candidate. I don't like Hillary and while I'm a big fan of Bernie, I fear he'll be too old by 2020, nevermind 2023-2024.
They need someone younger than Bernie, who encapsulates Bernie's policies and ethos.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
This is true to a degree although I don't think a member of the ticket absolutely has to be a minority. They just have to be well qualified and likable enough to not derail the main candidate they are supporting.

I think for example, a ticket of Bernie and Al Franken would be very strong.

Below are the Dems who support single payer, who would almost certainly have to if they wanted to be on Bernie's ticket

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/13/us/sanders-medicare-for-all-plan-support.html
Could definitely work. They absolutely need to create a more unified approach, make clear the tentpole policies that work for the vast majority of struggling working class Americans, and get the message out about the policies. People who hate Trump already hate Trump and don't need to be reminded that he is a weird orange person. If they make it less about the specific personality clashes and debates, they could do a lot better.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Why the feck would someone with no elected experience and who isn't even a politician be the best candidate out of the 360m or so Americans?

I swear politics is just turning into an even shitter version of Celebrity Big Brother.
Because Americans quite clearly don't want a politician. If they did there'd be stronger opposition to Trump. The whole country is just a glorified reality show anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Michelle Obama aside, there is a stain of voters, typically on the right, who believe having non-politicians in office is a benefit from the usual Washington insider mentality.

Boycott

Carter won in 76 off the back of being a Washington outsider during the period right after watergate. His only political experience was 4 years as Governor of the small state of Georgia. Trump's administration might be proven to be more corrupt than the period then so maybe there is a good chance for someone unheralded now to ascend.

Mind you Carter did have governing experiencing however small. Hopefully Trump is the anomaly which history won't repeat.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Carter won in 76 off the back of being a Washington outsider during the period right after watergate. His only political experience was 4 years as Governor of the small state of Georgia. Trump's administration might be proven to be more corrupt than the period then so maybe there is a good chance for someone unheralded now to ascend.

Mind you Carter did have governing experiencing however small. Hopefully Trump is the anomaly which history won't repeat.
Obama was even more of an outsider than Carter. I believe he only had two years of national level political experience before entering the Presidential race.

Boycott

Obama was even more of an outsider than Carter. I believe he only had two years of national level political experience before entering the Presidential race.
That's true although campaigning had changed considerably by then as a relative nobody can garner attention quickly and subsequently a surge with the various network broadcasts, advertisements and internet coverage. It's changed even more in the run up to 2016 when the supreme court judged corporations weren't capped on how much they could pour into a candidate. Funnily enough Trump donated $1000 to the Carter campaign. That's pennies now.

As for Obama I believe he's a once in a generation candidate. Campaign Obama struck tones and created a movement which hadn't been seen in a long while. Even the charismatic and cool Bill Clinton had Ross Perot to thank in 92 for splitting the conservative vote. Clinton didn't win a landslide, President HW Bush lost in a landslide.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is America and it’s how shit works there. I couldn’t care less as long as the candidate is decent. And he is.
I don't think Kennedy would benefit much from the name since the Kennedy family are largely no longer in political life with the exception of one or two of them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s about the legacy. The name is still extremely impactful
Most people who remember voting for the Kennedys aren't really the core demographic the Dems want. He would have the benefit of a bit of name recognition but I doubt it would be a difference maker. Ultimately he would be better off marketing himself as a great candidate whose name happens to be Kennedy, as opposed to the other way around.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Most people who remember voting for the Kennedys aren't really the core demographic the Dems want. He would have the benefit of a bit of name recognition but I doubt it would be a difference maker. Ultimately he would be better off marketing himself as a great candidate whose name happens to be Kennedy, as opposed to the other way around.
They don’t have to remember voting for him. The name is an American legend especially in the demographics the dems want. And of course he wouldn’t campaign on being a Kennedy and just reaping the benefits of being one. That’s the whole point.

Also, he looks like Bobby reborn. Terrifying.

SirAF

Ageist

Sanders cant’t run, Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.