2021 American Civil War

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Someone once wrote in one of the threads about American politics that there are no good/decent republicans or something like it. I remember thinking it was maybe a bit much and surely some of them are okay people. I’m maybe blinded by the fact that I get most of my information on red/libcafe, but I’m more and more inclined to agree with what he said. At least I can’t remember hearing a republican speak with any dignity other than Mitt Romney.

So for those who know more than me, does a halfway decent republican politician exist at this point?
I don't know what the Republican Party was like in the past but when I look at it today, I see a party full of crazy people and grifters.

If anything I would use the word "scary" as well. They've become a scary party, and seem to be eating up any anti-left conspiracy theory.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think there are a few decent ones. Two are on this committee.
This is a common mistake. Basically people who were vile, souless bastards as little as 5-10 years ago now look decent and reasonable simply because they haven't gone 100% along with the Trump madness.

Does anyone else remember when Mitt Romney was running for the presidency and we got to hear all about his backstory of ripping apart companies and firing thousands of people to put extra bucks in the pockets of extremely rich people?

Realist81

This is a common mistake. Basically people who were vile, souless bastards as little as 5-10 years ago now look decent and reasonable simply because they haven't gone 100% along with the Trump madness.

Does anyone else remember when Mitt Romney was running for the presidency and we got to hear all about his backstory of ripping apart companies and firing thousands of people to put extra bucks in the pockets of extremely rich people?
Yep, the media in the US by lionising figures like Cheney, Romney, even Bush for crying out loud, are shifting the window of acceptability.

I still hate Bush more than Trump, he destabilised an entire region and we're still feeling the effects of his war crimes.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Another good example is ultra-hawk warmonger John McCain, who ended his life celebrated by the Democrats for his "bravery". He also chose Sarah Palin as his VP candidate, which is essentially criminal.

Carolina Red

Staff
Jordan would have become so enraged he'd let it slip, "See you in the showers, fecker!"
So a friend of mine was taking a class taught by a newly minted professor fresh out of Penn St right after the Sandusky stuff broke. The professor ended the class with a slide with the Penn St logo on it and asked if there were any comments / questions. My buddy, without missing a beat, clapped, hopped to his feet, and said “alright then class lets hit the showers!”

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
There's also this supposed lack of media coverage, or selected edits.
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/39118-the-terrorists-perceived-themselves-to-be-christians

There were many memorable revelations — as the men recounted racism, attempts to kill them, and offered advice to go after the “hitman” who sent the rioters. But an especially startling one occurred during the testimony of D.C. Officer Daniel Hodges, who suffered a heart attack and a concussion during the melee. Hodges plainspokenly called the rioters “terrorists” and, just as matter-of-factly, described them as Christian:

Said Hodges: “It was clear the terrorists perceived themselves to be Christians. I saw the Christian flag directly to my front. Another read ‘Jesus is my savior, Trump is my president.’ Another, ‘Jesus is King.’”

Carolina Red

Staff
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/39118-the-terrorists-perceived-themselves-to-be-christians

There were many memorable revelations — as the men recounted racism, attempts to kill them, and offered advice to go after the “hitman” who sent the rioters. But an especially startling one occurred during the testimony of D.C. Officer Daniel Hodges, who suffered a heart attack and a concussion during the melee. Hodges plainspokenly called the rioters “terrorists” and, just as matter-of-factly, described them as Christian:

Said Hodges: “It was clear the terrorists perceived themselves to be Christians. I saw the Christian flag directly to my front. Another read ‘Jesus is my savior, Trump is my president.’ Another, ‘Jesus is King.’”

Yep. “Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan” vibes. Terrorists wrapped up in the brainwashing that they’re doing god’s work.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

That conclusion doesn’t jive with what I think Hodges was trying to say. The word “perceived” is key. I don’t think he is calling them Christians, he is calling them out for believing themselves to be so while at the same time acting counter to the core of those beliefs. The next segment of that testimony as I remember it has him talking about the hypocrisy of people carrying the thin blue line flag beating officers.

edcunited1878

I find it odd that this went down in Santa Monica, where the city have previously banned smoking outdoors in parks.
Right?! Have loads of colleagues who live there and it's just odd as you said. But these folks aren't from that area usually and just end up going there since it's very known and the exact type of people they want to provoke are there.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I swear some of these wannabe SEALs actually want a civil war, so they can grab their AR-15 and live out their wildest fantasies.
It's like those zombie apocalypse fantasies. Everyone thinks they'd be a badass when actually they'd likely be zombie. These guys would probably end up dead in the first day of an actual war instead of the Rambo they think they are.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's like those zombie apocalypse fantasies. Everyone thinks they'd be a badass when actually they'd likely be zombie. These guys would probably end up dead in the first day of an actual war instead of the Rambo they think they are.
The CEO of Reddit is a libertarian who thinks that because he has a few motorcycles, some food and a lot of ammunition, he's prepared for the apocalypse. He also said that he would probably be a leader, not a slave.

That also pretty well explains why Reddit has had so many racism, jailbait, harassment, etc scandals. Anything is allowed up until the point where it gives Reddit bad PR.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The CEO of Reddit is a libertarian who thinks that because he has a few motorcycles, some food and a lot of ammunition, he's prepared for the apocalypse. He also said that he would probably be a leader, not a slave.

That also pretty well explains why Reddit has had so many racism, jailbait, harassment, etc scandals. Anything is allowed up until the point where it gives Reddit bad PR.

Yeah this man will definitely be a leader if a civil war breaks out. People will be lining up in their droves to follow him. Pure Alpha.

WPMUFC

Was thinking about the escalation of the American right. The last time the right lost was Obama v Romney. The result of that was Karl Rove's fox news meltdown and Joe Scarborough looking like a complete buffoon.

Now they have moved on to direct violence and fascism inspired conspiracies. I feel like the right wings solution for any political topic is now denial, conspiracy and violence. How do you turn that around?