2021 American Civil War

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It counts according to the basic definition, but the word Guantanamo does not strike as much fear in the minds of people as Île du Diable (or Devil's Island - the name of that prison island in "Papillon") still strikes even 71 years after its closure. And besides, Guantanamo has not received new inmates since 2007-2008.
Should have made a new exception for these insurrectionist assholes.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It counts according to the basic definition, but the word Guantanamo does not strike as much fear in the minds of people as Île du Diable (or Devil's Island - the name of that prison island in "Papillon") still strikes even 71 years after its closure. And besides, Guantanamo has not received new inmates since 2007-2008.
Most of the people involved will likely have no idea what Papillon is about or where it was located!

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Tbh Guantanamo shouldn't exist at all, it's an abomination.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Another one being locked for a long time.

Biggs should consider himself lucky that the US doesn't have overseas penal colonies like the notorious Devil's Island from "Papillon" because people like him (i.e. the very worst of the worst among anti-government criminals) belong in such places.
They have ADX Florence although I doubt he'll end up there.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Great flick
To be fair, It's one of few films where the remake is also a very good film. Both versions are great for different reasons. Of course both are also horrible for the same reasons. It certainly shows how lucky our modern day prisoner with Sky TV and windy walks is in comparison.

RedDevilQuebecois

Tbh Guantanamo shouldn't exist at all, it's an abomination.
After everything that has happened there and the bad reputation it has earned, it certainly deserves closure. Nevertheless, I also believe there must be one special prison built on some random rock in the Pacific Ocean for the very worst enemies of the US government, especially domestic enemies/terrorists.

nimic

something nice
Scout
After everything that has happened there and the bad reputation it has earned, it certainly deserves closure. Nevertheless, I also believe there must be one special prison built on some random rock in the Pacific Ocean for the very worst enemies of the US government, especially domestic enemies/terrorists.
I very much doubt they have some secret terrorist prison for Americans. They couldn't even keep the torture of foreign "terrorists" a secret, there's no way they could hide that. For non-Americans, they just put them in Gitmo or send them to some "friendly" country to be tortured instead.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I very much doubt they have some secret terrorist prison for Americans. They couldn't even keep the torture of foreign "terrorists" a secret, there's no way they could hide that. For non-Americans, they just put them in Gitmo or send them to some "friendly" country to be tortured instead.
Not quite the same thing but it's a known fact the US operates many "black sites" in and outside the country. The type of places that if they don't want you to be found, you won't be found. Obviously no long term solution however and I doubt they d ever put citizens in them who could sue for that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The US has entered a civil war ideologically speaking. The difference between a red and blue state is too polarized it'll eventually forced people to relocate according to their ideology.

And this is just a start, with no end in sight for the near future. It'll take something major to heal this divide.

Redplane

You know one thing I really like about traveling to other countries is that I can detach myself from the Jerry Springer reality we've created in our country. So many other places around the world have issues of their own but when it comes to sheer division, polarization, and just sheer stupidity we truly feel like we're a class apart. In the very worst of ways.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You know one thing I really like about traveling to other countries is that I can detach myself from the Jerry Springer reality we've created in our country. So many other places around the world have issues of their own but when it comes to sheer division, polarization, and just sheer stupidity we truly feel like we're a class apart. In the very worst of ways.
That is because you dont know the political/historical fabric of the countries that you visit as your own. My country is very divisive also and you can find very freakish different points of view

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That is because you dont know the political/historical fabric of the countries that you visit as your own. My country is very divisive also and you can find very freakish different points of view
To be fair which country doesn't. It's just a matter of people learn the hard way not to talk too much about politics in the open. The way it goes in Social media and actual physical places are a lot different, people don't show their political opinion most of the times and pretends to be neutral.

Anonymity helps. If caf users were all colleagues in actual work place I think the conversation would be a lot more chill and toned down

RedDevilQuebecois

So to make a summary of the heaviest convictions linked with January 6, here is the list of the most severe convictions in chronological order.
  • Thomas Webster... 10 years (sentenced 1st September 2022)
  • Peter Schwartz... 14 years (sentenced 5 May 2023)
  • Stewart Rhodes (Oath Keepers founder)... 18 years (sentenced 25 May 2023)
  • Kelly Meggs (Oath Keepers leader)... 12 years (sentenced 25 May 2023)
  • Jessica Watkins (Oath Keepers member)... 8.5 years (sentenced 26 May 2023)
  • Joe Biggs (Proud Boys)... 17 years (sentenced 31 August 2023)
  • Zachary Rehl (Proud Boys)... 15 years (sentenced 31 August 2023)
  • Dominic Pezzola (Proud Boys)... 10 years (sentenced 1st September 2023)

Now the real question is whether or not Enrique Tarrio will finally break the 20-year prison sentence mark on Tuesday. I hope he will get there because a strong message must be sent at last, but I would lie if I didn't expect a couple of 25-year sentences to be dished out by now.

Redplane

I've lived in several countries for over extended periods and still follow the news of all of them and maintain contact with people there. While that may not qualify me to know all the intricacies - I will still double down on the idea that the US is far more extreme in almost all categories. The whole notion that there is only a right or wrong with people hung up on left or right, conservative or progressive - is taken very very far. Just the sheer volume of media outlets catering to every niche alone doesn't compare to anywhere else. The whole idea that you shouldn't talk about politics and religion in America holds some truth. Unless you're speaking with a kindred spirit, any sense of measure is often quickly lost. It's the story of one of us, or you're against us - and the trenches being dug are deep.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I've lived in several countries for over extended periods and still follow the news of all of them and maintain contact with people there. While that may not qualify me to know all the intricacies - I will still double down on the idea that the US is far more extreme in almost all categories. The whole notion that there is only a right or wrong with people hung up on left or right, conservative or progressive - is taken very very far. Just the sheer volume of media outlets catering to every niche alone doesn't compare to anywhere else. The whole idea that you shouldn't talk about politics and religion in America holds some truth. Unless you're speaking with a kindred spirit, any sense of measure is often quickly lost. It's the story of one of us, or you're against us - and the trenches being dug are deep.
I lived in 8 countries too and i can tell that every country has very dark aspects and in europe there is do much history that fester along the years saying that for the same reason that i am exposing, i dont know the US as well as you do, so you might be right

Redplane

The DeVos' family tentacles reach far and wide and it's only because of Trump being the convenient idiot they ve been able to continue to hide in the shadows while Betsy and co rushed to weaken public education, voting rights and more. The Soros this, Soros that is silly when you consider all the billions being funneled from that family, the Kochs and others - not just in this country, but across the globe.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
22 years!

We'll content with that, but I wish it reached the symbolic 25-year mark.
up to 60 years old, good behaviour and being a buddy alt-right, he will be out with parole in 7-10 years I am making this numbers up, of course

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Him going to jail os fantastic, but unless Trump also goes to jail for at least 22 years it's a great general example of society where the actual evil feck is above the law and only his lackies are punished.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
To be fair, It's one of few films where the remake is also a very good film. Both versions are great for different reasons. Of course both are also horrible for the same reasons. It certainly shows how lucky our modern day prisoner with Sky TV and windy walks is in comparison.
ADX Florence is nothing short of hell on earth.

23 hours of 2x2 bars and 1 hour of walking in a caged cage.

I'd rather they just kill me

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Cassidy Hutchinson will do her first live interview since testifying next Monday night with Rachel Maddow.