2021 American Civil War

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
we are fecked and we mostly deserve it. This country is half made up of racist, evil people who care for nothing but their own perceived power and non existent prosperity. As long as there is a Republican Party (as it currently exists) in this country it is not something worth saving.
What do you expect when your recent history has been pretty much filled with you patting yourself on the back, telling yourselves how good you are?

Suddenly, the hair line cracks in your political and social system are opened up by "woke people" who are simply trying to heal the problem and the low IQ part of your population (most of those who dont understand the concept of self awareness - hence the morbidly obese riding around in fecking mobility scooters and carrying around the confederate flags), lose it because they're being showed that maybe, America was never actually that great and its an illusion that's been force fed to them since birth.

Nobody wants to admit they have flaws, but atleast by acknowledging them, you allow yourself to work on them.

The epitome of this is your problem with gun control.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, we're trained from a young age to spot maple leafs anywhere, anytime.
This just reminded me of when I was at the 2007 Italian Grand Prix with my mate, and after the race all the fans pour onto the track and basically walk a lap.

We spotted a rather obvious looking couple, and yelled “hey, Canada!” at which point they turned and happily posed for a photo.

I just assume you guys have to agree to dress this way before you’re allowed to leave the country?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This just reminded me of when I was at the 2007 Italian Grand Prix with my mate, and after the race all the fans pour onto the track and basically walk a lap.

We spotted a rather obvious looking couple, and yelled “hey, Canada!” at which point they turned and happily posed for a photo.

I just assume you guys have to agree to dress this way before you’re allowed to leave the country?
the lengths they will go to so as to not be mistaken as American sometimes borders on the absurd.
Don’t blame them though.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
House backs plan to investigate Jan 6th
We’ll see if it gets past the Senate.
This is good news so far though. And 35 repubs house reps broke with their party to vote for the independent inquiry.
McConnell has already said he'll block it because it's 'slanted'. The only way the Dems are going to get anything done is to get rid of the fillibuster. Knowing them though, they'll wait another year and get rid of it just before the midterms when they lose the majority.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
McConnell has already said he'll block it because it's 'slanted'. The only way the Dems are going to get anything done is to get rid of the fillibuster. Knowing them though, they'll wait another year and get rid of it just before the midterms when they lose the majority.
He can try to block it, but he's no longer majority leader which means Schumer will bring it to a vote. In the house vote, more GOP members voted for it than previously expected, so McConnell may encounter a similar issue in the Senate. Also, even if this fails - Pelosi already said she is going to create a house select committee that will be more partisan than this independent non-partisan body.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He can try to block it, but he's no longer majority leader which means Schumer will bring it to a vote. In the house vote, more GOP members voted for it than previously expected, so McConnell may encounter a similar issue in the Senate. Also, even if this fails - Pelosi already said she is going to create a house select committee that will be more partisan than this independent non-partisan body.
It barely seems to matter anymore to be honest. What could they actually produce that is going to make Trump supporters suddenly change their minds anyway? Trump will scream that its a witch-hunt, the whole GOP will come out and say its just the Dems being partisan and whatabout x,y,z, and basically nothing will happen anyway. Even if they proved that GOP house members had been involved, its not like they're going to get bi-partisan agreement on any kind of sanction. America is fecked.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It barely seems to matter anymore to be honest. What could they actually produce that is going to make Trump supporters suddenly change their minds anyway? Trump will scream that its a witch-hunt, the whole GOP will come out and say its just the Dems being partisan and whatabout x,y,z, and basically nothing will happen anyway. Even if they proved that GOP house members had been involved, its not like they're going to get bi-partisan agreement on any kind of sanction. America is fecked.
It wouldn't peel of many Trump supporters, but it would reinforce the moral failings of Trumpism to the group of people who do actually move elections and who booted Trump out of office last November - Independents.

The Firestarter

It wouldn't peel of many Trump supporters, but it would reinforce the moral failings of Trumpism to the group of people who do actually move elections and who booted Trump out of office last November - Independents.
The dozen Benghazi investigations eventually eroded the support for Clinton, so there is something to be gained here apart from uncovering more information.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's been fecked a while now. Look at Republicans taking credit for bills they unilaterally opposed, and constituents lap it up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
When I read that first line I though we were going down a different route :wenger:
Plenty of other threads in which I could argue that.

Not here necessarily.

Perhaps ‘critical assessment skills’ would have been more appropriate. But that will no doubt be soon decried as a ‘communist educational plot’ to undermine the youth of today by those very same people.

In fairness, my original post was just the top line, but I instantly realized after positing it that so e clarification would be helpful!

The Firestarter

The solution is to convince them that all elections are rigged so they don't bother voting. Basically what happened in Georgia.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The solution is to convince them that all elections are rigged so they don't bother voting. Basically what happened in Georgia.
Sigh. There are times when I wish I could have the artistic licence to release inappropriate but comedic rants full of words you can't say in accents you probably shouldn't do.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Plenty of other threads in which I could argue that.

Not here necessarily.

Perhaps ‘critical assessment skills’ would have been more appropriate. But that will no doubt be soon decried as a ‘communist educational plot’ to undermine the youth of today by those very same people.

In fairness, my original post was just the top line, but I instantly realized after positing it that so e clarification would be helpful!
I do think we are at a watershed moment, which is why the GOP is panicking. Not only are young people more progressive than ever, but they are starting to vote at record levels and become active. If we can hold on for 10-15 years this country will be reshaped politically. That's a big "but" though. There was an interesting article in the times yesterday about young (16ish) activists in MA "swinging" the Senate race. Not sure if that is real, but the interesting thing was the massive surge in young voting (up to 20% from 6% in 2016).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I do think we are at a watershed moment, which is why the GOP is panicking. Not only are young people more progressive than ever, but they are starting to vote at record levels and become active. If we can hold on for 10-15 years this country will be reshaped politically. That's a big "but" though. There was an interesting article in the times yesterday about young (16ish) activists in MA "swinging" the Senate race. Not sure if that is real, but the interesting thing was the massive surge in young voting (up to 20% from 6% in 2016).

I used to be concerned with centrist Democrats being offput the more progressive elements on the left, but even I am no longer concerned. Bravo. Keep it up, youngsters.

What we don’t know yet is how draconian these state election law changes will truly be.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
To the surprise of no one, except maybe Joe "The Ostrich" Manchin.

Also, this one needs to be voted out ASAP

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
To the surprise of no one, except maybe Joe "The Ostrich" Manchin.

Also, this one needs to be voted out ASAP

It’s amazing how it’s possible in a country as rich and developed as America that rioters can storm their parliament, resulting in politicians fleeing for their life and the death of a police man, only for half the politicians to then say there shouldn’t be an investigation into what happened.
I also wondered the other day if this thing where the losing side just rejects the outcome of an election will spread to Europe, but it’s a discussion for another thread I guess.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'm guessing other than just being assholes per usual, Republicans want no part in the inevitable outcome of an investigation that squares down to Trump incited the riot, which then calls into question if numerous interviews, speeches, and tweets by other Republicans also led to an incitement.

Which is clearly a yes. It would also dominate the 22 and 24 election cycles. It's once again party over country.