2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Kopral Jono

The only thing I was 'worried' about was too many positive covid tests turning it into a farce. Which, thankfully, hasn't happened.

I wasn't worried about the lack of crowds. As long as the top competitors performed, I was stlll expecting it to be every bit as good as other Olympics, and it has been.

At the next Olympics, we'll get the usual 'Sport is nothing without fans in the stadium' - but, as this Olympics has shown, the competitors are the main thing and it can be just as compelling to watch as a viewer with or without fans.
Given the transmissibility of the new Delta variant, the stupid conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if there were actually many more positive tests that went unreported for obvious reasons.

Acole9

Outstanding
I wasn't going to bother watching but I've seen a fair bit of it. I've really enjoyed it especially the hockey, considering taking it up.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I am not sure how many nationalities are on this board but I just wondered if the TV coverage in your respective country only really focused on the events where you had good representation or gave all the events equal exposure?
I appreciate that some nationalities may have very small teams and therefore little representation.
Indian here. And most events that are telecasted are the ones where we have some representation. If we arent competing at the time/one of our sports where we are decently strong isn't happening/ its not swimming/athletics, they're mostly covering safer sports like Football or Basketball.
I'd have much rather seen more of rock climbing, bouldering and cycling over football in Olympics

Wilt

Considering the cost of hosting an Olympics, I think they should take the Olympics back to Tokyo as soon as it’s deemed possible.

It‘s only fair on the people of Japan that they should be allowed to attend their own Olympics without fear of the pandemic.

What say ye?

Acole9

Outstanding
Considering the cost of hosting an Olympics, I think they should take the Olympics back to Tokyo as soon as it’s deemed possible.

It‘s only fair on the people of Japan that they should be allowed to attend their own Olympics without fear of the pandemic.

What say ye?
They didn't want it though did they?

Withnail

The French Astronaut playing the last few notes of the Marseillaise on saxophone from the space station for the handover at the end of the closing ceremony was pretty cool.

Wilt

I'm not sure to be honest. Some of the protesting was due to the financial resources.
I can understand the worries of cost, but there’s the thing ….they’ve already built and paid for it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

What say ye?
I can see the point but it’s still a huge cost to run it once awarded. The people didn’t want it as has been said but maybe sets them world athletics games or other big events.

In terms of other cities, they all have good claims and it still needs to go to cities that have never staged it.

Will South Africa ever get it I wonder

Wilt

I can see the point but it’s still a huge cost to run it once awarded. The people didn’t want it as has been said but maybe sets them world athletics games or other big events.

In terms of other cities, they all have good claims and it still needs to go to cities that have never staged it.

Will South Africa ever get it I wonder
Trying to gage a country similar to wealth and need of regeneration? (ie Rio) ….then maybe South Africa could host it?

PoTMS

Why have they decided to have the Karen hairstyle as the Paris 2024 logo?

The Firestarter

Russia Today having a total meltdown about not winning either of the rhythmic gymnastics golds. One of their editors has tweeted that people should go and spit at the judges and that she wishes she worked for the GRU (to get revenge). Absolutely astonishing the way their official coverage reports this stuff, let alone the hypocrisy of them complaining about cheating!

Anyway great games overall and I hope the consensus in Japan is that it was ultimately worth it. They would have been a fantastic host city had fans been allowed but it sounds like in spite of that all of the athletes felt welcomed and still had a special games. Plus for many of them Paris is too far away, so it’s great that they still got their shot rather than being totally denied by Covid.

Only three years to wait until the next one is the upside!
We won the group gold in rhythmic gymnastic today , and the fact that it is the Russians who are having that meltdown after so many times when they got "bonus" from the judges makes it so much better :drool:

United Hobbit

Really going to miss having the Olympics to watch, it was nice being able to catch up on iplayer of those events you missed watching live it's a shame the paralympics dont start straight away

Watching the cycling now, that crash in the women's omnium was huge the Italian woman (I think) got ridden over as the one behind her had nowhere to go. Didn't realise they don't have brakes

gorky_utd

Indian here. And most events that are telecasted are the ones where we have some representation. If we arent competing at the time/one of our sports where we are decently strong isn't happening/ its not swimming/athletics, they're mostly covering safer sports like Football or Basketball.
I'd have much rather seen more of rock climbing, bouldering and cycling over football in Olympics
I think they were all available in the app.

Agent Red

We won the group gold in rhythmic gymnastic today , and the fact that it is the Russians who are having that meltdown after so many times when they got "bonus" from the judges makes it so much better :drool:
Congrats! Nice to get gold after playing second fiddle for a while. They’re clearly taking the loss really well

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I can’t say that it’s had exactly the same buzz as Olympics of the past, but I do think a part of that is time difference. But in any case, Japan should be super proud and whilst there wasn’t the fans, actually it still felt like the Olympics, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and I still have that sad feeling knowing it’s come to an end.