2024 U.S. Elections

ManUtd1999

Really? She is typically outspoken against him these days.
I know.

But you have those who praise you in a different way. When you constantly mention the positive and ignore the rest, people notice. But maybe that’s just me…

Mike Smalling

I always forgot how few people actually vote in these things. State of 3.2 million people - roughly 100k votes.

That’s crazy given what impact it has.

Laurencio

It's too early to be relevant. Name recognition tends to be very obvious in the first couple of primary elections. The big news isn't that Trump won, but that both Haley and De Santis did better than polling would suggest and aren't that far behind him. Haley in particular is interesting.

Cloud7

:lol:
It's depressing for people like Vivek that these are the sorts of people they are whoring themselves out to. Sure, they all like being able to say that they agree with the brown guy who shares their opinions, because then they can pat themselves on the back and say they're not racist because the brown guy agrees with them, but when it comes right down to it, this is how these people actually feel. How do people like Vivek live with themselves?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's depressing for people like Vivek that these are the sorts of people they are whoring themselves out to. Sure, they all like being able to say that they agree with the brown guy who shares their opinions, because then they can pat themselves on the back and say they're not racist because the brown guy agrees with them, but when it comes right down to it, this is how these people actually feel. How do people like Vivek live with themselves?
i think the answer is very comfortably, having swindled, sorry, earned himself multiple tens of millions of dollars. He'll be involved in a Trump presidency in some way, or he'll end up on Fox news. I like to think he's just a sociopath who actually cares about nothing but himself, and identified this path as ripe for exploitation.

Cloud7

i think the answer is very comfortably, having swindled, sorry, earned himself multiple tens of millions of dollars. He'll be involved in a Trump presidency in some way, or he'll end up on Fox news. I like to think he's just a sociopath who actually cares about nothing but himself, and identified this path as ripe for exploitation.
I know that the answer is money, that part of the question was rhetorical really. It's more just...does the money really make it worth it? For the life of me I can't imagine spending my days being a mascot for people that hate me, no matter how well it pays. I would feel so empty inside.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
So, after Trump viciously attacks him on truth social, Vivek drops out of and endorses him.

Seems to be a theme with republicans, they like getting humiliated by Trump, it seems.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I know that the answer is money, that part of the question was rhetorical really. It's more just...does the money really make it worth it? For the life of me I can't imagine spending my days being a mascot for people that hate me, no matter how well it pays. I would feel so empty inside.
I guess for some people, money and power is what fills them - whatever it takes. And so their perception is not the same I.e they don’t see it as being a mascot for those who hate them in the first place, so that feeling of emptiness never arises. I fully agree with you though, it’s shocking and pathetic.

Mike Smalling

A virtually unassailable Iowa pollster had Haley & DeSantis flipped, but the percentages were quite close...

I read a comment somewhere (might actually have been this pollster), that the people saying they were going to vote for Haley in Iowa were the least enthusiastic about it, so the bad weather affected her relatively more than other candidates.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I read a comment somewhere (might actually have been this pollster), that the people saying they were going to vote for Haley in Iowa were the least enthusiastic about it, so the bad weather affected her relatively more than other candidates.
Could very well be the case.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The GOP is what happens when a political party consistently capitulates to its extreme base. Tories are not far behind.

WPMUFC

The GOP is what happens when a political party consistently capitulates to its extreme base. Tories are not far behind.
50 years of "they always fall in line with the favourite" spouted by the talking heads and press like it was something to praise, and no one stop to question what would happen if a lunatic took over.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I feel like 20% for the other 2 is better than I thought it would be. Thought DeSantis was going to bomb

nimic

something nice
Scout
I feel like 20% for the other 2 is better than I thought it would be. Thought DeSantis was going to bomb
DeSantis definitely did better than many expected. If anything it's weirdly a loss for Haley, who was predicted to finish 2nd. Still, they all got less put together than Trump, so the miracle win route has been called off.

ManUtd1999

I always forgot how few people actually vote in these things. State of 3.2 million people - roughly 100k votes.

That’s crazy given what impact it has.
The Iowa Caucus should come to an end as an important factor in American politics. It's ridiculous on so many ways.

As I said last night, despite the clear win of Trump, I am not impressed. Half of those GOP voters chose not to vote for him as their nominee. Imagine half of Iowa/SC/Nevada/NH deciding not vote for Biden as their nominee? How would the reactions be? I understand that Biden is the incumbent president, but Trump is for all practical purposes like the incumbent for Republicans. I see weakness there.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Iowa Caucus should come to an end as an important factor in American politics. It's ridiculous on so many ways.

As I said last night, despite the clear win of Trump, I am not impressed. Half of those GOP voters chose not to vote for him as their nominee. Imagine half of Iowa/SC/Nevada/NH deciding not vote for Biden as their nominee? How would the reactions be? I understand that Biden is the incumbent president, but Trump is for all practical purposes like the incumbent for Republicans. I see weakness there.
Plus, it’s not even a “real” primary. It’s only a small fraction of the state that even “votes” as the caucus is a weird and potentially long event.