2024 U.S. Elections

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its definitely an election year when AOC gives a political answer to the genocide question.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Another Republican getting called out for taking credit for money to their community that they voted against:
I really wish more reporters actually did stuff like this. It seems that there are a few local guys/gals who do, but the cable networks are way more interested in ratings and relationships then actual journalism.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Gotta say I hard disagree on this line of argument that says the US and the West is responsible for just about every ill the Earth faces. Capitalism in particular has become the de facto cool, progressive answer for all ills. Awful healthcare? Capitalism. Corrupt politicians? Capitalism. Rampant illegal immigration? Capitalism. Or sorry, the hip phrase is 'late-stage capitalism', cause you see what I did there? Made it sound like a malignant cancer! Sooooo deep.

Same thing in geopolitics. Gazan situation? The West's apathy. Iran-fuelled Houthi rebels? The West's 'genocide' in Gaza. Collapsing order in latin American countries? The West's involvement.

You know what's better than Capitalism, for increasing overall standards of living, life-expectancy, education and infant-mortality? Me either.
You know what's better than a broad, liberal-democracy led world order? What's your answer? Putin? The Chinese? Maybe let the Iranians have more sway?

The majority of things that people blame on capitalism are actually perversions of it. It's laws written to deliberately circumvent the 'engine' of capitalism, usually to benefit an interest group.
Similarly, I love to see the constant firehouse of blame on Biden for the Gazan situation, and nothing towards either Hamas or their puppet-masters. Or even f*cking Israel.

I must be getting old, because all I hear in these critiques is whining. Feeling glib about picking apart the very systems that enabled you to receive an education, the system that built and proliferated technology to create communication so you could find out what's even happening across the world.

Are there hundreds of ways that we should improve how capitalism functions? Of course, and there are lessons to be learned from many countries on how to do that. Has the US/European leadership made mistakes over time in complicated geopolitical decisions? Of course.

Is there a better alternative? I don't believe so. So we should be thinking about how to fix it, rather than just blaming what we have.
And you are right, most of those problems are caused because capitalism. That doesn't mean that is the only problem. Communism as it was applied, was a mistake. Capitalism as is applied is becoming a mistake. Mixed solutions have to be found where pure capitalism doesn't work.

And for all our sake I hope there is a better alternative because the state of the world right now is gearing towards a worldwide conflict.

MarylandMUFan

I really wish more reporters actually did stuff like this. It seems that there are a few local guys/gals who do, but the cable networks are way more interested in ratings and relationships then actual journalism.
Agreed. It seems like the national "journalist" throw out one question and let the politician spew B.S. for 2 minutes unchallenged then move on to the next question. It just serves as a platform for their talking points, and they never seem to hold them accountable.

Mike Smalling

There is no reality for these people any more. Literally everything is conspiratorial to suit political ends. I don't know how politics survives when there is no ground to participate on. It's just a never ending decline into an abyss of lying.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/vivek...ropped-up-taylor-swifts-endorsement-of-biden/
They hate the idea of celebrities in politics only because the ones that support the Democrats tend to be young and popular, and the ones that choose to support the Republicans are old as feck and/or crazy. The GOP was all over the Kanye endorsement until he literally decided to say he loved Hitler :lol:

WPMUFC

They hate the idea of celebrities in politics only because the ones that support the Democrats tend to be young and popular, and the ones that choose to support the Republicans are old as feck and/or crazy. The GOP was all over the Kanye endorsement until he literally decided to say he loved Hitler :lol:
Agree that it's coming out of that jealousy, but I really can't remember a time when political figures just endlessly reinforced ideas that nothing in society is real. It's all planned and conspiratorial. I'm tending to fall on the side that whilst a certain section of the population has been forever lost. The conspiratorialisation every aspect of life is not healthy.

RedDevilQuebecois

Why are the only options to vote for ancient fossils? Is there really no younger person who could be president of the U.S.?
There are younger people. But having seen what a severe lack of political experience (Trump) can do, I can understand why the Democrats would prefer a number of governors and promising politicians to gain a little bit more experience before they enter the arena. I don't think Biden is lying when he said that he would have stepped down if it wasn't for Trump running again (when Orange Jackass should be in jail by now).

Gavin Newsom, Gretchen Whitmer, Pete Buttigieg and Jon Ossoff are topping the list for 2028 and beyond for now, but we know that we can also have pleasant surprises like Barack Obama did in 2008 as well.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
And you are right, most of those problems are caused because capitalism. That doesn't mean that is the only problem. Communism as it was applied, was a mistake. Capitalism as is applied is becoming a mistake. Mixed solutions have to be found where pure capitalism doesn't work.

And for all our sake I hope there is a better alternative because the state of the world right now is gearing towards a worldwide conflict.
I think it's past that point now

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Agreed. It seems like the national "journalist" throw out one question and let the politician spew B.S. for 2 minutes unchallenged then move on to the next question. It just serves as a platform for their talking points, and they never seem to hold them accountable.
They need more Paxman

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Another trade war, coming up.

Farmers may want to reconsider their support for republicans, last trade war was really bad for their business, this one will probably be worse.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Another trade war, coming up.

Farmers may want to reconsider their support for republicans, last trade war was really bad for their business, this one will probably be worse.
But transgender immigrant DEI fascist marxist professors!

ManUtd1999

This is one reason for why I’m almost done with the media. I barely watch cable news these days.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trump puts on full-court press for big-time donors — and nabs more than a few

Donald Trump is aggressively courting potential megadonors to his campaign, targeting those who’ve kept their powder dry so far this cycle and at least one who was the biggest backer of his chief primary rival.

The former president is set to dine with more than two dozen of the party’s biggest check-writers on Thursday evening at the Palm Beach, Florida, home of billionaire investor John Paulson, a Trump ally who has pledged to support his campaign.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/30/trump-big-donors-00138498

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

No doubt dems have more money to spend than republicans, especially considering Trump and i guess the RNC has to spend a good bit on legal fees.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
There is no energy around Trump this time, even many conservatives aren't optimistic, and yet he is crushing nearly all the polls, it does feel very odd.

Makes you wonder just how many voters Biden has lost over the past year though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There is no energy around Trump this time, even many conservatives aren't optimistic, and yet he is crushing nearly all the polls, it does feel very odd.

Makes you wonder just how many voters Biden has lost over the past year though.
The negative sentiment of the moment will almost always be directed at the incumbent. Once the election gets closer and voters begin contemplating the danger of a second Trump term (never mind day to day policy differences between the two), the numbers should narrow.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Its over folks, they have Ted Nugent and Jon Voight.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Haley should be annoying Trump for with these numbers all the way up to Super Tuesday.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I really do believe Haley would win quite comfortably in a straight-shot against Biden. Which in of itself is pretty scary given her positions on key issues.

But the GOP is entirely beholden to MAGA now, so will get the MAGA candidate.

Revan

Assumptionman
I really do believe Haley would win quite comfortably in a straight-shot against Biden. Which in of itself is pretty scary given her positions on key issues.

But the GOP is entirely beholden to MAGA now, so will get the MAGA candidate.
Haley would get most of independents but probably less of the conservatives. Still, she should comfortably win against Biden. But then, Trump seems will comfortably win against Biden too. And Trump will unfortunately obliterate Haley in the primaries.

I think Dems are banking in Trump winning the primaries, and then Democratic base and independents voting against Trump. When instead, they should have proposed candidates that people would like to vote.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Someone give him a drug test?
The story might be 100%. There are plenty of MAGA lunatics that could tell him that. For the Qanon branch this is breakfast