37 years ago today - United v Barca

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Amazing how many years ago this is, doesn't seem that long at all.

Back before we we were all conquering and gathering trophies for fun, it was more about the big games like this (and the odd F A Cup success). This still stands out for the result, the performance (1-11), the atmosphere (bouncing) and Robson showing yet again how he got his nickname.. even getting a mural at Old Trafford dedicated to this.

Stapleton's goal and celebration still gives me goosebumps like Ole's goal does. Shame we didn't go on and win it, a Robson led team v Juve probably would've done it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th.../manchester-united-overturn-deficit-barcelona

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We've all been rejuvenated by realising we are 10 years younger.

miked99

I was behind the goal on the Stretford End for this. Greatest atmosphere I've ever experienced or ever will. It was positively feral

Thanks for pointing out years, fixed.

Line ups that night. Some solid players but nowhere near what we saw in the 90s onwards. And of them all, Hogg possibly had one of the best performances of the night though all of them ran their socks off.

Manchester United: Bailey, Duxbury, Albiston, Wilkins, Moran, Hogg, Robson, Muhren, Stapleton, Whiteside, Moses.

Barcelona: Urruticoechea, Concepcion, Moratalla, Alberto, Munoz, Alexanco, Pichi Alonso, Schuster, Juan Carlos Rojo, Maradona, [Irrelevant point]

I was behind the goal on the Stretford End for this. Greatest atmosphere I've ever experienced or ever will. It was positively feral
Me too and it was... I think fans are always important but that night it was raw and I honestly think it affected both teams.

The nearest I've seen to compare in atmosphere was the cup replay v Liverpool in 85... though that had a nasty edge to it and I was slightly relieved when I got home