4-2-3-1 needs to die

Rajma

For the love of god can bin that 4-2-3-1? Becoming almost like LVGs 5-3-2 for me, can't stand it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Formation isn't the problem

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Title wrong. But yeah we need to go 433 consistently. Brings the best out of our best players and Sanchez when he comes.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It is absolutely useless.

We leave so much room in midfield, and at the same time we hamper Pogba.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
But we're not playing 4231 we're playing 433 today with Lingard playing much deeper than usual in the 8 role.

Son Of Sam

For the love of god can bin that 4-2-3-1? Becoming almost like LVGs 5-3-2 for me, can't stand it.
4-3-2-1 is your title but 4-2-3-1 is what you are complaining about. Which is which?

Later in the game, Herrera will come on and Pogba will move closer to Lukaku and sparks shoikd start flying.

Rajma

Same formation as last week. Nowt really wrong with the system
Last week we gave Stoke too many chances as well in the first half, we just wide open with Pogba as part of midfield two and no amount of Lingard running around is going to change that.

Devil may care

But we're not playing 4231 we're playing 433 today with Lingard playing much deeper than usual in the 8 role.
Yep, the problem is Lingard isn't suited to that role defensively or offensively, he does his best work close to goal with quick moves off the striker, he doesn't have the defensive nous or passing ability to be as deep as he's being asked to operate.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Oh I fecked up the title.. 4-2-3-1 obviously!
I know :)

To be honest I don't think formation is that much of a problem. Our play is just drab full stop. We could play 2-2-10 and still play like shit at the minute.

Macern

Pee pee pants
You say 4-3-2-1 in the thread title, but go on about 4-2-3-1 in the OP, but we aren’t playing with any of them today.

Rajma

Yep, the problem is Lingard isn't suited to that role defensively or offensively, he does his best work close to goal with quick moves off the striker, he doesn't have the defensive nous or passing ability to be as deep as he's being asked to operate.
Thank you! It really hurts my eyes him trying to be that he's simply not.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah I feel the same just wondered why everyone is complaining about 4231 when we're not even playing it

Vilev

Formation itself is not a problem. The problem is that our wingers are too deep on our half, our center of midfield can't properly create the chances. Mostly because we don't have a single attacking pattern. I mean apart from "quick counter" and hopeful crosses to Lukaku.

rique_don

The formation is not the issue at all. It's our game plan to not pressure opponents early enough by pressing and allowing them comfortable possession. Our opponents just don't lose the ball enough in dangerous areas enough. We seeming always have to go 60 plus yards to attack. We don't pass the ball well enough to not pressure opponents earlier.

Rajma

We just played with 3 in the middle
After Fellaini came on, and the difference was noticeable. Lingard might have started with intention to play in midfield 3 but he was all over the place and finding himself very far up the pitch. More like 4-1-4-1 as people mentioned whatever that was we need 3 proper CMs on the pitch at all times.

waza7111

In order to play a 4-3-3 with 3 proper central midfielders we'd have to drop Lingard who on current form is our best player. It won't happen.

J_Red 11

After Fellaini came on, and the difference was noticeable. Lingard might have started with intention to play in midfield 3 but he was all over the place and finding himself very far up the pitch. More like 4-1-4-1 as people mentioned whatever that was we need 3 proper CMs on the pitch at all times.
We played two different formations before and after Fellaini came on.

Both Pogba & Lingard were given free role to roam in midfield 3 today. When Fellaini came on, it became 4231 with both Fellaini & Matic played the deeper role.

Rajma

In order to play a 4-3-3 with 3 proper central midfielders we'd have to drop Lingard who on current form is our best player. It won't happen.
past two games he wasn't all that, his form fluctuates greatly, and before he adds the consistency I have no problems with him being on and off. As Conte said earlier this week he's not at Chelsea to keep players happy, at Manchester United winning is top priority - we should become Arsenal if we fear to hurt someone's feelings at a cost of winning.

waza7111

past two games he wasn't all that, his form fluctuates greatly, and before he adds the consistency I have no problems with him being on and off.
Today he wasn't very good but his form over the past month has been brilliant. He deserves to keep his place even after one bad game.

J_Red 11

But he isn't a proper CM, hence my post.

He's an AM.

Pogba has to have 2 proper CMs next to him, otherwise our shape inevitably goes to shit as we come under pressure.
Not sure why Lingard can't play in the role when he's been playing in that role pretty well against Arsenal & Stoke. Burnley away was never easy game.

Remember how KDB & Silva were never proper CM to begin with but both players adapted in that role, the same thing about Ox when he was originally a winger and now he's adapting the CM role at Liverpool.

Rajma

And when exactly that did us any good?
Everton? Even today once Fellaini came on we could break forward freely and had many opportunities to finish the game off, while before 70th minute we were literally hanging on.