40s Draft R1 : Joga Bonito 8-8 Skizzo/Pat_Mustard | Joga wins on penalties!

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Murdoch, the next in line for Skizzo, who seems relieved by the earlier miss and could be back level if the Scot can put this in the back of the net...

Can he feck. Nigbur saves his third of the day.

Skizzo 1-2 Joga

Joga can't believe his luck, and is still in the lead despite a minor blip, Byshovets is coming on to finish the game with one swing of the boot.

And he absolutely slams it down the middle past Hellstrom.

Skizzo 1-3 Joga.

JOGA WINS!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thanks for the penalties @Aldo

Good game @Joga Bonito congrats!
:( Honestly, never felt this bad winning a game. That team of yours and Pat's being built around Cruyff was tactically spot on both in terms of balance and individual quality - no easy feat and I should know that myself, having fluffed my lines with an all time pool. Cruyff is my favourite player and that Ajax side is the best that I've watched and your side really didn't deserve to go out in the first round :(.

Thanks for doing the pens @Aldo .

Sorry @mazhar13 , thought you might not be back in time.

Skizzo

:( Honestly, never felt this bad winning a game. That team of yours and Pat's being built around Cruyff was tactically spot on both in terms of balance and individual quality - no easy feat and I should know that myself, having fluffed my lines with an all time pool. Cruyff is my favourite player and that Ajax side is the best that I've watched and your side really didn't deserve to go out in the first round :(.

:lol: it's not like it was a robbery, so there's no ill will about it here :) That Netzer - Law axis is fantastic, and like you said, you have a good group around it. I actually used yours and @Balu total football homage as inspiration for this, and really wanted to do it justice and try it too. In the end, just couldn't quite get the right midfield personnel to fully pull it together.

Great team you have so far though, look forward to seeing how you add to it.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
:lol: it's not like it was a robbery, so there's no ill will about it here :) That Netzer - Law axis is fantastic, and like you said, you have a good group around it. I actually used yours and @Balu total football homage as inspiration for this, and really wanted to do it justice and try it too. In the end, just couldn't quite get the right midfield personnel to fully pull it together.

Great team you have so far though, look forward to seeing how you add to it.
Cheers, looking forward to the reinforcement rounds too.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Cheers Joga! I'm really happy with how we drafted. Our midfield's balance was probably slightly off, and Harms and Balu made a valid point about Flohe not being an ideal fit, but otherwise I think we nailed our theme pretty well. I'm with you on Cruyff. I said to Skizzo in PM that I enjoyed watching Cruyff footage even more than Maradona and Eusebio when we had them in the All Time Draft.

No reason to feel bad whatsoever though mate. You drafted brilliantly and there was nothing between the two teams. You know my stance on Law and I love Netzer too so I'm hoping you go on to win this.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'm with you on Cruyff. I said to Skizzo in PM that I enjoyed watching Cruyff footage even more than Maradona and Eusebio when we had them in the All Time Draft.
Agreed with you on that, for me he is the most complete #10/forward/talisman or whatever you'd want to call it. Capable of dictating from anywhere on the pitch, at ease being the focal point (occasionally) or equally so at receiving the ball from the goalie, on either flank both capable of crossing with either foot or cutting in, as two footed as they come, both a deadly goalscorer and a sublime creator etc. Better stop here before I face Cruyff again in the next round :lol:.

I think only di Stefano comes close to him in terms of all-roundedness but Cruyff had more facets to his game (pacier, better dribbling, more dynamic etc) whereas di Stefano was more of a winner and capable of leaving his mark on the defensive end as well - Cruyff was the more complete forward whereas di Stefano was the more complete player. The only drawback being that Cruyff needed quite a bit of tactical subservience - with most others of his ilk, you are looking at tailoring the midfield unit and forward lines around them, but with Cruyff it more or less starts from the very goalie itself.

Which was why I think you guys deserved a lot of credit as it's easily the best unit (apart from slight issues in the midfield but it is the first round) that I've seen assembled around Cruyff.

No reason to feel bad whatsoever though mate. You drafted brilliantly and there was nothing between the two teams. You know my stance on Law and I love Netzer too so I'm hoping you go on to win this.
Cheers.

Last edited: