40s Draft R1 : Joga Bonito 8-8 Skizzo/Pat_Mustard | Joga wins on penalties!

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I know 6-7 players from both teams. Had Wimmer in the EURO draft. Can't get myself to vote, though. Will for the semi's and final. Should almost vote Skizzo/Pat for the simple fact that after the big write-up on Netzer; Joga misspelled his name on the formation-pic. Lel.
:lol:

Skizzo

Here's a short compilation video on Heinz Flohe for Germany. @harms usually playing deeper, and finding space wide at times too. Good in possession and knocking it around to find space.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Here's a short compilation video on Heinz Flohe for Germany. @harms usually playing deeper, and finding space wide at times too. Good in possession and knocking it around to find space.

That's a great video. Maier at 2.47 :lol: and Netzer at 1.32 :drool:.

I have to go soon enough and won't be back for some time. Hopefully there is more input by then and more queries about both teams.

Will just leave this short video of Netzer (against arch rivals Bayern) that I just came across.

The more I watch him, the worse I feel, in that I can't watch much of him at Gladbach :mad:. Trawled through the net and could only find a single full match of Netzer's Gladbach :(.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, 5:2? Was hoping for the penalties myself.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Graphic on Byshovets is hideous. Reason I hate sharemycrap.

Also, misspelling the protagonist of the play is, as the kids say, a fail. It's riddicculos, in fact.

Voting Mustard and his so-called gaffer just for kicks. Scan voting. This is the reality of that thing.

Could change, though. That is the reality of THAT thing. I actually think Joga's team is better, so if I wake up sober in time to change my vote, I probably will.

Skizzo

Oh, 5:2? Was hoping for the penalties myself.
Not even sure what to address, or what people prefer over the other.

With proven partnerships across the front three positions, and Cruyff in his best position, I think that would edge in our favour.

I think our full backs are better suited to the type of game both teams are trying to play here, both at offering width and an added goal threat from both.

Plus Olsen shades the required job that both teams are trying to employ with a ball playing center back. With the added bonus of Morini playing alongside Scirea so successfully, we have the players proven in the roles required to be successful.

With Netzer at the tip of the midfield, quality wise Joga would enjoy an advantage there, bit with the players and quality we have there, and the edge we have elsewhere, we should see enough of the ball to limit their chances, while enjoying some of our own.

I wouldn't claim to be up 70% possession or anything, but in a close game like this, a possession advantage, and proven partnerships that have (almost) won it all can be enough to come through in the end.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
With proven partnerships across the front three positions, and Cruyff in his best position, I think that would edge in our favour.
That is fair enough as I'd have Keizer & Cruyff over Law and Gadocha but perhaps Byshovets over Rexach although there is nothing much between them.

I think our full backs are better suited to the type of game both teams are trying to play here, both at offering width and an added goal threat from both.
You have a cracking pair of FBs, however I don't think both can play their usual games here. Yes, it is a high line attacking football but with an extremely forward oriented libero in Olsen, it could leave you open to counter-attacks at the back. Against most teams it would have been fine but against a team with the sheer pace and ball-carrying abilities of Law, Byshovets, Ball, Netzer and Wimmer it might be too risky. Also, Netzer's passing range is just too deadly on the counter, esp at picking out runners and as you've established, neither team is going to boast a significant possession advantage here. So, there will be ample opportunities for Netzer to pick out a runner. It would probably be better, if Gemmell was the more attacking wing-back, with Jardine playing a more balanced role.

Also Kapellmann was an extremely forward oriented player who loved to go on galloping runs forward for the total footballing Bayern Munich - just like he did providing the assist for the second goal in the European Cup Final in 1975. Reaney too was renowned for his overlaps and forages down the wing but he will be playing a relatively more balanced and reserved game here, to provide greater tactical freedom for both Kapellmann and Sieloff.

Plus Olsen shades the required job that both teams are trying to employ with a ball playing center back.
Aye, but Sieloff has proven chemistry with Netzer and his impact on Gladbach's title winning defense was undeniable. He was often rated as being amongst the best defenders in the Bundesliga during the late 60s and early 70s and was rated as the best player in the Bundesliga during 1964/65.

Tbf, it's more or less even in terms of individuals and if I were to make an combined XI, I'd choose Jardine-Olsen-Greig-Gemmell; Ball-Netzer-Wimmer; Byshovets-Cruyff-Keizer.

With Netzer at the tip of the midfield, quality wise Joga would enjoy an advantage there, bit with the players and quality we have there, and the edge we have elsewhere, we should see enough of the ball to limit their chances, while enjoying some of our own.

I wouldn't claim to be up 70% possession or anything, but in a close game like this, a possession advantage, and proven partnerships that have (almost) won it all can be enough to come through in the end.
Tbf, with my midfield advantage and the complementary personnel around them, I'd say I'd probably edge possession here, despite you sporting one Johann Cruyff but I do have Netzer after all. A slight edge and it probably will be 55-45 or 60-40 and nothing significant to write home about imo. I think it will be an open attacking game with both sides scoring goals and it will probably end in a 2-2 draw.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Also, misspelling the protagonist of the play is, as the kids say, a fail. It's riddicculos, in fact.

Voting Mustard and his so-called gaffer just for kicks. Scan voting. This is the reality of that thing.

Could change, though. That is the reality of THAT thing. I actually think Joga's team is better, so if I wake up sober in time to change my vote, I probably will.
Netzer will probably throw a hissy fit and refuse to go onto the pitch :lol:.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thought you'd like the blond wavy hair of Netzer in those clips :) Germany really did move the ball so well.

Hope there's more happening when you return :D
Off now and hopefully discussions will have picked up pace by the time I return.

Skizzo

That is fair enough as I'd have Keizer & Cruyff over Law and Gadocha but perhaps Byshovets over Rexach although there is nothing much between them.
Aye, it's not to say any of your attackers are poor, but the benefit there or having won so much between the three playing together (well Cruyff with either) means they know act others game inside out.

You have a cracking pair of FBs, however I don't think both can play their usual games here. Yes, it is a high line attacking football but with an extremely forward oriented libero in Olsen, it could leave you open to counter-attacks at the back. Against most teams it would have been fine but against a team with the sheer pace and ball-carrying abilities of Law, Byshovets, Ball, Netzer and Wimmer it might be too risky. Also, Netzer's passing range is just too deadly on the counter, esp at picking out runners and as you've established, neither team is going to boast a significant possession advantage here. So, there will be ample opportunities for Netzer to pick out a runner. It would probably be better, if Gemmell was the more attacking wing-back, with Jardine playing a more balanced role.
I don't think I said they would both be constantly attacking together a la Carlos and Cafu, but that both are capable of doing so at times throughout the games. Although they would be times Olsen would step instead, it would be suicide to throw them all up field together.

Aye, but Sieloff has proven chemistry with Netzer and his impact on Gladbach's title winning defense was undeniable. He was often rated as being amongst the best defenders in the Bundesliga during the late 60s and early 70s and was rated as the best player in the Bundesliga during 1964/65.
It depends how far we stretch the chemistry angle. With Cruyff and Keizer/Rexach they had direct link up and were a "unit". Not to downplay the Sieloff and Netzer angle, but if we go that route, there's Bobby and Tommy too. I do get what you're saying though, not trying to sound facetious :)

Tbf, it's more or less even in terms of individuals and if I were to make an combined XI, I'd choose Jardine-Olsen-Greig-Gemmell; Ball-Netzer-Wimmer; Byshovets-Cruyff-Keizer.
I'd probably go with just about the same, although maybe with Murdoch in for Ball, but I wouldn't begrudge that inclusion.

Tbf, with my midfield advantage and the complementary personnel around them, I'd say I'd probably edge possession here, despite you sporting one Johann Cruyff but I do have Netzer after all. A slight edge and it probably will be 55-45 or 60-40 and nothing significant to write home about imo. I think it will be an open attacking game with both sides scoring goals and it will probably end in a 2-2 draw.
Potentially, although I see it differently. Even your combined teams have all of my players around the midfield chosen. The benefit of having the better full backs and winger(s) and Cruyff means we have that higher quality throughout the pitch. I'm sure you've argued yourself that Cruyff would be absolutely everywhere when probing or looking for the ball. There's no reason to think he wouldnt drop into midfield and help win that battle.

I do agree with plenty of goals being scored both ways though :)

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He looks to be a busy, technically excellent all-rounder who can pass the ball well off either foot. The video in the OP gives a nice indication of his passing ability, and here's a nifty piece of dribbling to evade Bonhof and someone else against Germany in WC 74:

Off the ball, he's not a monster tackler or an athletic phenom, but he works hard, tracks back well and has excellent alertness and anticipation and a consequent knack for interceptions, including high up the pitch which is important to our style of play. Here he is capitalising on sloppy work from Overath in that same match:

and against Beckenbauer's Bayern in that 6-1 drubbing in the Bundesliga. He lays on the assist here:

Feck me Pat, think even i could successfully execute that assist :lol:

Skizzo

Can't believe you sobered up that quickly! Impressive performance, if so :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Going Joga then.

Woke up shortly after.

But keep this in mind: That poetry won't charm yer marks to the medal. I mean, come on - feckin' Bataille. That's - probably - where the cleverness ends. Where it should end, anyway.

Football. It's grand - possibly even metaphysically grand. But then, nah - it's a pretty simple game in which a team endeavour to outscore the other team, within the rules, of course - but we do know the rules (and how they're applied) if nothing else.

Skizzo

Going Joga then.

Woke up shortly after.

But keep this in mind: That poetry won't charm yer marks to the medal. I mean, come on - feckin' Bataille. That's - probably - where the cleverness ends. Where it should end, anyway.

Football. It's grand - possibly even metaphysically grand. But then, nah - it's a pretty simple game in which a team endeavour to outscore the other team, within the rules, of course - but we do know the rules (and how they're applied) if nothing else.
Couldn't have said it better myself(?)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Couldn't have said it better myself(?)
Joga won't get it, though. He's a hipster.

I should vote against him. But I vote for him, to make him see the error of his ways.

That's what Jaybus would do - and how can I do anything less?

Skizzo

Would love to hear from the other managers/regulars too. I know there hasn't been tons of discussion in some games so far, but never too late to start :) tagging is ok right? I know PMs are frowned upon (which I carried a previous convo on with sjor to remind him to show up in here) apologies if that comes off as shady. Tagging him here too along with the usual suspects.

@Šjor Bepo @MJJ @Balu @Annahnomoss @Cal? @Marty1968

Off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll spam some more to try and whip this up at some point.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If people think I'm just randomly fecking about - they're wrong. I never do that. Well, almost. Or hardly, that is. Hardly never, as they say. Good luck to all. I'm going dancing - seriously.

I vote for penalties - and so forth.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Had to vote for Skizzo :mad:

Lovely team they've assembled though. Cruyff Keizer Gemmell is such a brilliant flank :drool: love it. Bobby is a brilliant defensive presence in the midfield.

I think Joga's midfield is a bit too gung ho for this match. Just don't feel the right balance with Ball in there. Quality player no doubt, but what he offers doesn't seem complementary to Netzer and Wimmer.

Skizzo

Lovely team they've assembled though. Cruyff Keizer Gemmell is such a brilliant flank :drool: love it. Bobby is a brilliant defensive presence in the midfield.

I think Joga's midfield is a bit too gung ho for this match. Just don't feel the right balance with Ball in there. Quality player no doubt, but what he offers doesn't seem complementary to Netzer and Wimmer.
It's because you and I are besties, really :)

Thanks for the feedback. That flank is up against Reaney, who is a class full back, but think he'd have his hands full, especially as that side is also the same as the Libero stepping out of the back line. Could leave gaps there to exploit.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
A nice obituary on Flohe. Quite a sad story really.

Malign fate seemed to single out Heinz Flohe. A member of the West Germany squad that won the World Cup in 1974, and a key figure when they reached the European Championship final two years later, his playing career was ended at the age of 31 by a brutal foul and he spent three years in a coma before his death, aged 65.

Flohe's tragic demise was hard to comprehend for all who saw him in his pomp at Cologne, whom he captained to a Bundesliga and German Cup "double" in 1977-78, or in the national team, which he also represented in the 1978 World Cup. Standing 5ft 9in, with a mop of tousled fair hair, he was like a one-man swarm. Fondly known as "Flocke" ["Snowflake"], Flohe was good enough to win 39 caps in West Germany's midfield in an era when, as he later noted, "the competition was fierce". It included another memorable player for Cologne and country, Wolfgang Overath, as well as Günter Netzer, Rainer Bonhof, Uli Honess, Bernd Cullmann and Herbert Wimmer.

Cologne had spotted his potential as a schoolboy. After signing for the "Billy Goats" at 18 he rose swiftly through the ranks to gain a Cup-winners' medal in 1968. He first partnered Overath, then replaced him at the hub of the side when they won both major trophies. His international debut came against Greece in 1970 and he scored the first of eight goals against Denmark a year later.

A World Cup on home soil in 1974 seemed to offer the ideal stage for Flohe. But when Helmut Schön did give him a starting role, in the politically charged group match with East Germany, he was "miscast", as he recalled, on the left wing. In the second phase he came off the bench twice but he had to sit out the final, played in Munich, while his team beat the Netherlands 2-1. He later lamented that he "never felt like a world champion".

In the semi-finals of Euro 76, West Germany trailed Yugoslavia 2-0 before Flohe was sent on. He halved the deficit before his club colleague Dieter Müller, also a substitute, hit a hat-trick and the host nation were despatched 4-2 in extra time. Even then, Schön did not start Flohe in the final against Czechoslovakia, when he again came on to help the Germans recover from 2-0 down. He scored in the shoot-out, only for Antonin Panenka's audaciously chipped penalty to prove decisive. Later that year, against the same opponents, he scored his country's 1,000th goal.

Before the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, Franz Beckenbauer proclaimed Flohe "the best player in Germany". He started the first four games, scoring twice in the 6-0 mauling of Mexico. However, the tournament finished with a familiar, unfulfilled feeling, Schön declining to use him in the last two matches.

There was further frustration the next season. Cologne looked well-placed to reach the European Cup final after drawing 3-3 at Nottingham Forest in the semi-final without their injured talisman. In the second leg his 50-minute cameo could not stop Brian Clough's side prevailing 1-0.

That spring, Flohe was sent off for retaliating against a Hamburg player; Cologne finished with nine men and lost 6-0. He claimed the coach, Hennes Weisweiler, had "scapegoated" him, which led, after 453 competitive games and 118 goals, to his joining TSV 1860 Munich. In his 13th game for 1860 a challenge by Duisburg's Paul Steiner shattered his fibia and tibula. He never played again.

After an attempt to sue Steiner for damages failed because intent could not be proved, Flohe took on coaching and scouting roles with his hometown team, TSC Euskirchen, and Cologne. But in May 2010, having twice undergone heart surgery, he collapsed during a stroll through his adopted city. Doctors diagnosed a stroke and induced a coma in order to prevent brain damage. He was supposed to wake after 24 hours, yet remained in a vegetative state until his death.

Arsenal's Lukas Podolski, a former Cologne player, said: "Germany has lost one of its greatest footballers, Cologne arguably its greatest." Toni Schumacher, the former international goalkeeper and club vice-president, mourned "an outstanding player and special person", adding grimly, "Fate hit him hard."

Heinz Flohe, footballer: born Euskirchen, Germany 28 January 1948; played for Cologne 1966-79, TSV 1860 Munich 1979; capped 39 times by West Germany 1970-78; married Ursula (one son); died Euskirchen 15 June 2013.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...otball-stalwart-for-west-germany-8673646.html

And a magnificently incoherent Google Translation of a German article:

If the world champion of 1974 resulted in the ball at the feet, astonished his colleagues. So technically adept was none other. Wolfgang Niersbach compares it with Mesut Özil. But who was the Cologne, the celebration of joy and shyness an international career failed?
The game of the noble engineer Mesut Özil, Mario Götze and Marco Reus is based on the skills of a brilliant exception-rounder, the almost forgotten: We are talking about Heinz fleas, world champion 1974th
This allegation puts on filmmaker Frank Steffan, of his documentary "Heinz Flohe - The one with the ball danced" presented a few days ago on the prestigious 11mm Football Film Festival in Berlin.

It's the cinematic unreacted rediscovery of a pioneer of technical finesse and a pioneer of modern art football generally.
Netzer: "He has been so incredibly well"
There are not only the still awesome game scenes, which can be seen in the documentation, the statements of prominent football stars are evidence of the highest esteem. Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes referred Triple fleas there about as "Artists" and leads even today from astonishment that "we did not know anything until then."
Flohe (l.) mit seiner Weltmeistermannschaft von 1974
Getty Images fleas (l.) With his World Champion team 1974
Günter Netzer stressed that there was no where in Germany, reached the flea technical skills: "He has been so incredibly well, did things that none of us could not even the really big players in Germany."
A statement from Dr. Jupp Kapellmann, world champion in 1974 and three-time Champions League winner with Bayern Munich is supported: "Heinz Flohe today would break the 100-million mark, or in general, any transfer record sum." This stood for him beyond any Discussion.
Beckenbauer: "One of the best technicians in the world"
Franz Beckenbauer also referred fleas to its active period in which the three-time DFB Cup winner (1968/77/78) and German Champion 1978 also garnered national titles, as "one of the best technicians in the world."

Fußball - Weltmeister Heinz Flohe gestorben
dpa / dpa / Archives fleas celebrated great successes in his career
Why but denied this ball genius only 39 internationals and is today virtually unknown to the general public? The answer studied film in personality flea, the one hand, lacked an important lobby because of its extreme media shyness.
On the other hand avoided the precious technicians to open conflict, as with Wolfgang Overath, his teammate at 1. FC Köln. Although he leistungstechnisch overtook this time, he was subordinate power-conscious world star.
Only coaching legend Hennes Weisweiler forced the career end of the aging Overath and made fleas captain. The result: The Double in 1978 with a Heinz Flohe in gala form.
Problems with the national coach
The relationship with national coach Helmut Schön DFB has always been problematic to vary these two characters were. The belletristic lovers of classical music on the one hand, the celebration joyful boxing fan fleas on the other side. That did not fit.
The strongest form midfielder only played three games at the 1974 World Cup. Also at the European Championships in 1976 came mostly fleas off the bench, but was jointly responsible with goals and preparations for the finals against the CSSR.
In the 1978 World Cup finally set, he showed at 6: 0 over Mexico a world-class performance with two goals, but he was injured and later Germany eliminated without his playmaker to Austria from Cordoba.
FC-Idol Flohe wird mit Statue geehrt
SID-IMAGES / SID-IMAGES / PIXATHLON / The FC fans commemorate their idol Heinz Flohe
In December 1979, the flea career ended tragically through one of the most momentous Fouls Bundesliga history. Except for a brief period as an assistant coach of 1.FC Köln he left the big football stage and stayed away from the media. In May 2010, Heinz Flohe broke due to heart problems together in the street and stayed for three years in a vegetative state. He passed the first 74er World Champion on 15 June-2013.
"Özil comes closest fleas!"
Two years after his death Heinz Flohe now celebrating a kind of comeback. The 1.FC Köln named its football school in his Double-captain, since October 2014 is his monument in front of the South Stand of the Cologne stadium. Regardless of the Heinz Flohe film now appeared a really incomparable footballer.
But DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach found a current player who resembles fleas. "The player who comes closest to him is Mesut Özil who also has this ease in the game and the proximity between genius and insanity."
Whether Özil the name Heinz Flohe is a term? Whether he knows that this is one of the variables of German football? Perhaps soon, because the film "The man with the ball danced" converts aware beyond the usual football movie clichés and is so entertaining that it both football fans, but also less at the round thanks to the very compressed, tragic and triumphant life story of Heinz Flohe Leather Interested parties can view. Probably that is why he took the 11mm Football Film Festival as best German contribution of 2015 just the 2nd place.
http://www.focus.de/sport/experten/...keinen-oezil-goetze-oder-reus_id_4567106.html

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
An article on the Cruyff/Keizer partnership, based around an iconic Ajax performance versus Feyenoord. I like the first paragrpah as it underlines just how good that somewhat forgotten Feyenoord side was too. A similar dynamic to the Bayern/Monchengladbach rivalry of that era.

Ajax may have been in the midst of winning three successive European Cups in April 1972, but they were not having things all their own way domestically. Indeed, since the extraordinary genius of Johan Cruyff first began wowing the Amsterdam giants’ supporters in 1964, they had only seized four Eredivisie titles to Feyenoord’s three.

The Rotterdammers had, themselves, lifted the continent’s biggest prize in 1970 and were the reigning Dutch champions. They boasted the legendary Ernst Happel in their hot-seat, had arguably their country’s greatest-ever defensive partnership in Rinus Israel and Theo Laseroms, the craft of Wim Jansen in the engine room and a magician supreme of their own in Wim van Hanegem.

“Feyenoord and Ajax were at the time not only among the best sides in the history of Dutch football, but European football,” said Happel later.

Forty years ago to this day, Stefan Kovacs took the team he had recently inherited from Rinus Michels to Rotterdam for one of the Netherlands’ most eagerly anticipated all-time clashes. It was Round 29 of 34 in the Eredivisie run-in, and Ajax had had their lead at the summit cut to just three points after losing their last away game 3-2 at mid-table Go Ahead Eagles. The odds suggested the arch-enemies would be neck-and-neck at the end of play. For Cruyff’s first De Klassieker had ended in a 9-4 humiliation in 1964, and by now they had gone nine attempts without a league win at De Kuip.

“The previous season Ajax had been ahead of us in the title run-in, but we beat them 3-1 in Amsterdam and one week later we were champions,” said Israel. “Now we had home advantage. Ajax didn’t score many against us in Rotterdam and we had a very good record against them. We were very confident we were going to give our fans a day to remember.”

Those Feyenoord supporters were, as Israel had desired, applauding at the end of 90 minutes. However, for the first and only time in their history to date, they were applauding Ajax.

With Piet Keizer and Cruyff dazzling, the visitors were 3-1 up by half-time courtesy of goals from the latter, Arie Haan and Gerrie Muhren. Keizer’s third assist of the contest allowed Cruyff to complete his brace, before the pair reversed roles to put the icing on the most sumptuous of cakes. When Keizer slid home that Cruyff pass to complete a 5-1 victory, the left-lying attacker cockily stood still and stared at the ball, which was in the back of the net along with Israel, who had desperately slid into it in an attempt to restrict the ignominy.

“I remember lying there, half-conscious in the goalmouth, and seeing that celebration," said Israel. "It was hard to take, but Ajax deserved that victory. People criticised our performance, but they were simply unstoppable that day. It wasn’t just Cruyff and Keizer, the whole team played really well. It was an amazing performance.”

That result all but regained Ajax the Eredivisie title, and the following month they were ironically back at De Kuip to beat Den Haag 3-2 in the KNVB Cup final and Internazionale 2-0 in the European Cup decider.

“We had three unforgettable nights in Rotterdam in that summer of 1972,” recalled Keizer, who spent his entire career with Ajax. “But that 5-1, against our biggest rivals on their own patch, was something extra special.”
I wish I could find better video highlights, but this is better than nothing:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Joga won't get it, though. He's a hipster.

I should vote against him. But I vote for him, to make him see the error of his ways.

That's what Jaybus would do - and how can I do anything less?
I'm a hipster? :lol:

It's the same type of midfield that Netzer used to play with. It's essentially a more defensive midfielder in Wimmer, but someone who still offers to the fluidity of the system with great movement - lateral mostly here - and excellent technique on the ball.

And a more offensive oriented talented B2B player who had immense work rate. An upgrade on Hoeness (Euro 72) with even greater industry, tenacity and midfield nous. Also this RCM/RAM role is natural for Ball given that was his exact same role for England. Driving forward on the ball, venturing out to the flanks and working his socks off the ball. He was brilliant on the ball - possessing fine dribbling, passing and link-up play but also, he was excellent defensively in addition to his industry - a fine tackler and an exceptional harrier with impressive energy reserves. For me he is the best midfielder on the pitch after Netzer.

Don't think it's gung-ho at all. Also whilst Murdoch was a fine player he wasn't a great defensive presence, that was mostly Auld with his physicality and ball winning skills. Murdoch is the best passing midfielder after Netzer here with fine positioning but he wasn't a great defensive presence. Thats not to say he was static and slow but he wasnt exactly dynamic or defensively great either.

Which was one of the prime reasons why I preferred Kolotov's 'legs' and defensive ability in Skizzo's midfield, given both Flohe's and Murdoch's ball playing abilities and passing skills.

Skizzo

@Joga Bonito heading to bed in a bit mate. I'll be back long after this has finished. I tried keeping it going but didn't get any feedback from anyone really so just ended up talking to myself :lol: gonna tag a few more to hopefully have something interesting to read when I dragged ass back out of bed :D

@Gio @Theon @MJJ @Raees @sajeev @RedTiger @The Stain @Donaldo

Apologies for forgetting people. 2am but don't have alcohol as an excuse :p

Good luck for the rest of the match Joga!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito heading to bed in a bit mate. I'll be back long after this has finished. I tried keeping it going but didn't get any feedback from anyone really so just ended up talking to myself :lol: gonna tag a few more to hopefully have something interesting to read when I dragged ass back out of bed :D

@Gio @Theon @MJJ @Raees @sajeev @RedTiger @The Stain @Donaldo

Apologies for forgetting people. 2am but don't have alcohol as an excuse :p

Good luck for the rest of the match Joga!
You too. Will keep my posts low (other than answering queries and posting write-ups etc) till you are out. Hopefully, Pat can join in after you leave. Regardless of the outcome it has been a fantastic match btw.

Now I really will feel bad if I forgot someone after spamming all those :lol:

Skizzo

You too. Will keep my posts low (other than answering queries and posting write-ups etc) till you are out. Hopefully, Pat can join in after you leave. Regardless of the outcome it has been a fantastic match btw.

Feel free to post away. You always have some great player stories to tell :)

@Pat_Mustard might be gone too, but either way, it was been fun. Maybe a little too cordial for a draft, but it might be the spirit of the 40s gentleman in all of us!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Tempted to vote on several occasions since yesterday, but just can't bring myself to click the button, especially after reading some of the rather mild mannered arguments in this thread. Started off with a slight preference for Joga's team, but the Cruyff/ Keizer duo has proven chemistry, and Johan has full control over the offense. Keep going back and forth all the time, there's absolutely nothing between the teams, both really well crafted units. So it would be a bit unfair on my part to favor one manager over the other without full conviction. Maybe I should flip a coin to decide...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Maybe a little too cordial for a draft, but it might be the spirit of the 40s gentleman in all of us!
Well, there really wasn't much to get nasty over. If either of us had a wrong set-up or personnel, I don't think discussions would have been as friendly as they have been. Anyway, I'd rather have a more civilised and a knowledgeable discussion than constant bickering and nit-picking etc.