5 signings to make us title contenders

cathari

CB: Nathan Aké
RB: Seamus Coleman
CDM: Ruben Neves
CM: Youri Tielemans (cheating perhaps?) or David Brooks
RW: Wilfried Zaha

Can it be done? No.

I'm glad people are putting reasonable targets, we don't need any hollywood signings tbh.

daveskimufc

Seamus Coleman is a great shout

I'd take:
Docoure
Zaha
Andre Gomes
Maguire too

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think it's possible if we buy players from abroad. As you suggest in the CB position and I did above, there isn't a CB better than Smalling/Lindelof, or at least, if people rate Maguire I don't think he is a significant enough improvement to see us finish on more points than we would with the best pair we currently have. There are also obviously far better right forward / winger type players available elsewhere as well. I don't think we can poach players from Premier League teams and expect to challenge for the title, but Wan-Bissaka, Neves, Aderweireld, Rice and Doucoure are players who I think we could get and wouldn't be opposed to us signing any of them in the Summer.

However, despite me saying that, I always felt that Fergie tried to get the 'next best thing' or a rival player from a Premier League side when possible to push us on for the next challenge, so maybe it is the best way to get closer to winning the League? You can rattle off a big list of Premier League players that Sir Alex signed which improved our squad and helped us greatly in our successful periods (Cantona, Keane, Pallister, Carrick, Valencia, Tevez, Berbatov, van Persie etc).

Liverpool bought Mane and van Dijk for example and that seems to have worked. City with Stones, Walker, and Sterling has definitely been key in their title wins too.
Yeah, there's definitely success to be had. Wan Bissaka, Neves, Alderweireld are players who could come right in for example and combined would probably be about 100-120m at most. I'm still skeptical whether Alderweireld is the right player to get back there, though for 25m you cant go wrong with his reputation and all round ability. Theres been some talk on Eriksen because of his contract expiring in 2020, and under Fergie it would definitely be a possibility, but I think hes aiming for Barca/Madrid so can't see it.

Those 3 premier league players though and then Sancho and someone like Saul/Rodri could set us up nicely though and is definitely realistic.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
AWB
Ake
Neves
Ndidi
Richarilson

DDG
AWB-VNL-Ake-Shaw
----Neves-Ndidi----
-------Pogba-------
Rich------------Martial
------Rashford--------

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think everyone has fairly similar ideas. Doucore and Neves is an instant improvement over Matic and Herrera. As is AWB over Young.

Struggling after that to add anything obvious. Brooks best position is where Pogba is but he's certainly one to keep an eye on.

----------------DDG--------------
AWB---Lindelof---Smalling---Shaw
---------------Neves---------------
------Doucore----------Pogba------
Rashford----------------------Martial
--------------Lukaku--------------

would give most teams a game.

Smores

You'd think Liverpool had a star player in every position the way some of you bang on. They've shown you can have lots of average players and compete with City.

Plenty of good selections above to fill the gaps. We'd need 3 players to have a great season to compete and Pogba, Martial, Rashford/Lukaku should be capable of that with the gaps plugged from a PL selection.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
RB - wan bissaka
DM - Ruben neves
DM - Ndidi
RW - zaha
AM - Felipe Anderson.

lukepowell1988

Neves
Toby Alderweireld
Wan Bissaka
Rice
Richarlison

All 5 would be reasonable in regards to being able to actually sign don't see anything unimaginable like a Kane or Hazard in there

neilv93

Wan-Bissaka, Neves, Rice, Richarlison (yes, I'm serious!) and Zaha probably, but they wouldn't close enough of the City-Scouse gap.

Aloysius's Back 3

1. Gareth Bale is the only player who can come here and turn us to a title contender. Don't care what people say about his legs or his injuries - he can come and do less running as a striker that can easily cop us out 20 goals a season even if he is injured for a third of it.

2. Wan Bissaka

3. Declan Rice - CDM anchor man that drops in to defence

4. Saul

5. Felix at false 9

Devils11

1)Chris Coleman (RB)
2)Issa Diop (CB)
3)Ruben Neves (DM)
4)Jack Grealish (CM)
5)Ryan Fraser (RW, LW) (unbelievable stats, on par with Pogba without the penalties.)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
RB: Milenkovic
CB: Koulibaly
DM: Ndidi
MC: Neves
RW: Jadon

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wan Bissaka
Alderweireld
Neves
Richarlison
Zaha

Mind, I don't think that's enough for a title challenge, but I'd suspect that would cost 40m+25m+80m+70m+50m (with a discount from the sell-on fee) so around 250m.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not just about the signings to compete with top teams. We have to adapt and make adjustments like working on fitness, play without getting scared of opponents. On top of that we need to add few players.

If it's just from PL, I would go for
1. Maguire
2. Pereira (leicester) or AWB
3. Neves
4. Richarilson
5. Doucoure

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
1. Gareth Bale is the only player who can come here and turn us to a title contender. Don't care what people say about his legs or his injuries - he can come and do less running as a striker that can easily cop us out 20 goals a season even if he is injured for a third of it.

2. Wan Bissaka

3. Declan Rice - CDM anchor man that drops in to defence

4. Saul

5. Felix at false 9
RB: Milenkovic
CB: Koulibaly
DM: Ndidi
MC: Neves
RW: Jadon
Read the OP

AndersB

Of course it's possible. Look where Mané, VVD and Robertson were bought from. Firmino and Salah not exactly Galactico either. It's obviously difficult, though. But buying star names that sell a lot of jerseys hasn't exactly taken us where we want to be yet.

Wan Bissaka
D. Rice or Neves, not sure
Maguire
W. Ndidi or Doucouré
Richarlison

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
For Spurs:

Neves
Pereira
Digne
Ndidi
Felipe Anderson
You're not allowed to play ;)

Interesting you've gone for Anderson, he doesn't strike me as any better than Moura. Don't you think they're a little too similar?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You're not allowed to play ;)

Interesting you've gone for Anderson, he doesn't strike me as any better than Moura. Don't you think they're a little too similar?
Possibly. I was struggling by the fifth choice, was between him and Zaha.

Just another decent attacking option who can play a couple of role I suppose. I guess if not him then someone like Maguire.

Josep Dowling

Salah
Mane
Van Dijk
Robertson
Alexander Arnold

Aguero
D.Silva
Fernandinho
Laporte
Walker

dove

Felipe Anderson
Tielemans
Neves
AWB
Anyone but Zaha

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wan bissaka
Neves
Moutinho
Jiminez
Zaha
A centre back who is judged the best ...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wish people would stop saying Zaha. His modus operandi is falling over in the box and referees will soon punish him for that if he joined us.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Bissaka (RB) - The best young fullback in the league. Equally strong in both defence and attack, stamina to burn. Make him a priority this summer please, Ole.

Neves (CM) - The best young midfielder in the league and possibly in Europe. When I watch him play, I am instantly reminded of Paul Scholes. Potential target for the summer.

Anderson (RW) - Classic right-winger; electric pace and scary dribbling ability. Would make a massive upgrade on our current limited options. Yet another target for the summer.

Maguire (CB) - Minimal upgrade on Smalling. Has a bizarrely shaped head which apparently makes him good in the air. Comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Doucoure (CM) - Looked a top-drawer player against us. Haven't seen enough of the guy to make a fair assessment but I needed a fifth player to complete the list. Whatever.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
......................................De Gea...............................
Wan Bissika.........Lindeloff..............Maguire...........Shaw
............................Matic..................Neves......................
.......................................Pogba......................................
Lingaard...........................Rashford.........................Martial

Romero, Bailly, Dalot, Rice, Fred, Zaha, Lukaku
Grant, Smalling, Young, Mctominy, Periera, Sanchez, Greenwood

With Jones, Laird, Garner, Gomez chong kicking about as well *well when jones isnt injured)

Not sure it would be enough to challenge for the title and would still probably cost something like £250m? so probably far better value signings to be had from elsewhere
What on Earth is Matic still doing in your line up? He shouldn't even be there now, never mind after we've signed 5 players!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm going to cheat and include loaned players.

CB:
Nathan Aké
RB: Digne
CM: Ruben Neves
CM: Youri Tielemans
RW: Bernard (I'll pretend he can play on the right)