5 signings to make us title contenders

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
Am I the only one who thinks Ben Chilwell is going to end up being a fantastic player then?

Schneckerl

Besides Leicester, has it ever been done where a team so far off the pace goes on to win it the season after?
Forest and Ipswich won the title after promotion, but obviously that's ages ago.

AceUnited

De Ligt would be my first choice if he was not presented by Fatso Raiola. That guys is a disease. Don't believe me ...look at Pogba.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
CB: Nathan Aké
RB: Seamus Coleman
CDM: Ruben Neves
CM: Youri Tielemans (cheating perhaps?) or David Brooks
RW: Wilfried Zaha

Can it be done? No.
Forgot about Tielemans. Definitely would pick him and definitely someone for us to go after this summer. Loads of potential, an all round play making midfielder who can be a #8 for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Re-evaluating my previous options after remembering some others.

Right back - Wan Bissaka
Midfield - Neves, Tielemans

Can probably get these 3 for 100m.
CB and RW we need to look elsewhere though. Sancho of course, and then Koulibaly would be ideal but unlikely given the fee (especially with the others), so Alderweireld because only 25m.
Next season lineup:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Alderweireld Shaw
Neves
Tielemans Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial​

MisterLupus

We don't really need five signings so these are my three suggestions (with some backups just in case):

Right Wingback: Kimmich (Backups: Sime Vrsaljko and Rikardo Pereira)
Right Winger: Cengis Ünder (Backups: Martin Ødegaard and Suso)
Midfielders: Rodrigo Moreno Machada (Backups: Marcelo Brozovic and Wylan Cyprien)

All of decent age, they all have at least some of that certain pitbull-attitude we love so much at this club and (perhaps with the exception of Kimmich) each of them are realistic signings. Beyond signing three of these to their respective positions I would much rather see us investing in the talents already at the club.

Edit note: Oops missed the prerequisite... Sorry about that - guess I broke all the rules. With the exception of Pereira all of these are from leagues abroad and to be honest that's where we should look. New faces exclusive to United not tainted by rival influences and being familiar to our opposition.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Pogba Gueye
Zaha
Sanchez Fred
Martial

Romero Smalling Dalot Rice Lingard Rashford Lukaku

France set up.

Full backs -
Shaw to be more attacking, with Wan-Bissaka playing support role.

Defensive midfielders - Gueye breaking up play, with Pogba dictating play

Wingers - Zaha keeping the width and getting in behind, with Fred coming inside and making a three off the ball i.e. Matuidi.

Attacking midfielder - Still think there's a player in Sanchez. Haven't used him down the middle consistently yet. Could get better performances out of him if we were to.

Striker - Our best striker to hold up the ball and link play.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
The snag is you're only allowed to make signings from the PL and clubs outside of the top 6. Can it be done?
No - but any 5 of these certainly would improve us a great deal.

Richarlison - Everton
Doucoure - Watford
Rice - West Ham
Wan-Bissaka - Palace
Morrison - Leicester
Maguire - Leicester
Zaha - Palace
Anderson - West Ham

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd sack off Pogba to make even more funds available and do the following:

Entire new midfield of
Bruno
Neves/Saul
Ndombele/Docoure

They all compete with Fred and McTominay.

AWB at full back.
Sancho/Lozano at RW.
Joao Felix
Alderwierald
Koulibaly/Varane if available.

Charles Miller

You're not allowed to play ;)

Interesting you've gone for Anderson, he doesn't strike me as any better than Moura. Don't you think they're a little too similar?
Moura is not a winger. He only played as winger for PSG for some reason. He can play as SS or false 9. Is not good to play him as winger because he always will try to score and his stats of assists are very low.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think the best buys would be:

• Wan Bissaka, but bear in mind he’s not an attacking threat and would not need an attacking player ahead of him. English for quota too.

• R. Pereira, a good attacking full back

• Ndidi, incredible defensive midfielder for 22.

• Maddison, a good young attacking midfielder. English for quota too.

Leicester have a heck of a team for Rodgers to work with.

Forgot about Rice too.

Hughes35

• Felipe Anderson
  • Neves
  • Bissaka
  • Doucoure
  • Richarlison
I like Mitrovic and I'll take him as back up.

Line up would be:

De Gea

AWB Lindelof Smalling Shaw

Neves

Doucoure Pogba

Anderson Rashford Richarlison

A little bit underwhelming I know but has potential to win it in the future.

Agree with this list. I actually think they would all be good signings.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Just 5 modest signings would transform our team...

Wan Bissaka
Aké
Doucoure
Zaha
Jiménez

------------------DDG---------------
AWB-----Lindelof-----Aké------Shaw
-----Doucoure-----------McTom------
------------------Pogba----------------
---Zaha--------Jiménez------Martial---

Last edited:

Dan600

Like the thread idea a lot and it's a difficult challenge to truly make us title contenders just from 5 PL players. In another thread I did a similar thing by chance so I'm largely going to stick to the same players. My choices aren't purely about ability, but also about giving us balance, and enabling us to deal with as many scenarios and opponents as possible. So here goes...

• Ruben Neves: Replacement for the Matic role. Can dictate the middle of the pitch on his day. Used to counter attacking, should work great with our pace up top.
  • Ryan Fraser: Arguably a natural wide player which we don't really have. More grit than a Lingard or Martial, so could get down and dirty and help defensively when we need him.
  • James Ward-Prowse: No more corners hitting the first man. No more free kicks driven into the wall. We might actually make the most of the likes of Lukaku at set pieces!
  • Aaron Wan-Bissaka/R Pereira: We need a right back for sure, but I'm not sure who I would look at here, Bissaka is defending really well statistically at Palace but would he be able to do the same for us? Would we ask him to get up and down the pitch than at Palace so would he look suddenly more vulnerable? I'm really not sure who I'd take here...
  • Nathan Ake: Not the stock choice here. Left footed and capable of bringing the ball out from the back, to me the perfect foil for Victor, enables him to stay on the right and takes pressure off him due to having an equally capable partner with the ball at his feet. Ideally takes pressure off De Gea too.

This would leave the following squad:
GK: De Gea, J Pereira, Romero

DR: Wan Bissaka, Dalot, Fosu-Mensah
DC: Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones/Bailly
DC: Ake, Tuanzebe, Jones/Bailly
DL: Shaw, Dalot, One of O'Connor/Laird/Williams

MR: Ward-Prowse, Lingard, Fraser
MC: Neves, McTominay, Pereira/Ward-Prowse
MC: Pogba, Fred, Garner/Gomes
ML: Martial, Fraser, Rashford

ST: Lukaku, Sanchez
ST: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood

Ideally I'd get another striker but as I can only make the 5 signings I've left Sanchez in, otherwise we would be looking short up top.

It gives us enough depth to play either the 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and would also see us able to sell/lose: Grant, Rojo, Bailly, Darmian, Valencia, Mata, Herrera, and Matic? I guess as it is only 5 signings it could be worth keeping Matic for 1 more season, just for that extra experienced option in midfield.

Maybe we can offer Ashley Young a chance to start getting his coaching badges or something... (I'm also guessing Solskjaer has decided Bailly isn't right)

Graham R

Brooks at Bournemouth is a class player,intelligent movement who can open up a defence.
Neves is so creative ,cracking shot on him too
Wan Bissaka, tough tackling and fast.
Maguire a stopper but can also carry the ball forward
Maddison excellent attacking midfielder.
All these players are young and have hunger to succeed