5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisManUtd

1 win in 18 years in the FA cup .

Embarassing
Lost 2005, 2007 and 2018 finals as well. 1 win in Fa Cup finals out of 4 played since 2004. No wonder Arsenal surpassed us in the competition, we've not been great in it since the 90s.

Tap

No worries, there’s still the 4th place trophy to look forward to.

keanes revenge

Lost 2005, 2007 and 2018 finals as well. 1 win in Fa Cup finals out of 4 played since 2004. No wonder Arsenal surpassed us in the competition, we've not been great in it since the 90s.
We are turning into Liverpool of the 90s and 00s, best club in Europe to shite with bad decisions after bad decisions on manager's and player recruitment. We are not turning this around for a long time.

marktan

Just because we're a big club doesn't mean we have some divine right to trophies. I've thought for a good few years that we'll match Liverpool's drought given how badly the board and management run the club, and nothings changed my view on that. It's been almost 10 years already.

I do think we'll get some luck in the cups, but the strength of the PL in terms of the average team is better than its ever been. It won't be easy.

Stgun

"But Mourinho only won mickey mouse trophies ,he failed here". What if i told those mickey mouse trophies would be our last trophies for the next 10 years ?
Mourinho took ManUtd to 3 major finals ( Europa league, Carabao cup and FA cup) and won 2.
Finished 81pts. (Highest point tally post Fergie era)
ManUtd' masterplan to win PL the following season was signing Fred, Dalot and Lee Grant
And some people wonder why did he turned toxic.

Gave 450mil to Ole to prove Mourinho wrong and the team somehow look worse.

Last edited:

Tap

"But Mourinho only won mickey mouse trophies ,he failed here". What if i told those mickey mouse trophies would be our last trophies for the next 10 years ?
Mourinho took ManUtd to 3 major finals ( Europa league, Carabao cup and FA cup) and won 2.
Finished 81pts. (Highest point tally post Fergie era)
ManUtd' masterplan to win PL the following season was signing Fred, Dalot and Lee Grant
And some people wonder why did he turned toxic.

Gave 450mil to Ole to prove Mourinho wrong and the team somehow look worse.
Yeah, i was surprised that there was so much venom directed at that 2nd placed finish on 81 points that season. Yet Ole’s 3rd and 2nd placed finishes on far fewer points were hailed as some sort of major progress. Double standards indeed from the overly sentimental fan base.

Swedish_Plumber

Things have to change. This club should not be out of every competition by the end of February.

It’s a long way back to the top though, can’t quite believe just how shite this season has become.

Ixion

We have totally lost our bottle. Time and time again since Sir Alex left you can highlight points when we put ourselves in a position to achieve something only to throw it away.

ShinjiNinja26

This squad is mentally weak. They’ve gotten so used to losing they’ve forgot how to win. Then there’s players in the team that have never won anything and don’t seem to know how to get over the line. Serious work to be done in the summer and the next managerial appointment is so important because if we feck it up again it will be another 2-3 years of shite and winning feck all and then we’ll have another squad rebuild on our hands to add to that.

PoTMS

On the plus side, at least we're out early. Now our thin bare squad can jet off to Dubai for a quick holiday when we have a spare weekend off.

People keep saying the mentality is weak. That’s bull.

Our owners allowed them to be embarrassed by Liverpool and Man City. They watch us burn before sacking managers. There are no standards with a loser mentality from the owners so why would our players have a winners mentality?

spiriticon

We're losers. Not going to beat around the bush now, it's true.

Someone could spraypaint the word 'LOSERS' all over the billboard outside Old Trafford and our players would probably agree with it.

AshRK

People keep saying the mentality is weak. That’s bull.

Our owners allowed them to be embarrassed by Liverpool and Man City. They watch us burn before sacking managers. There are no standards with a loser mentality from the owners so why would our players have a winners mentality?
Mentality is a big issue as well. I look at players like Shaw Maguire Fred Dalot Mctominay Henderson and that doesn't fill me with any confidence. Not saying we are not trophies because of them or any one player but I don't think some players are that good like we think they are.

Mentality is a big issue as well. I look at players like Shaw Maguire Fred Dalot Mctominay Henderson and that doesn't fill me with any confidence. Not saying we are not trophies because of them or any one player but I don't think some players are that good like we think they are.
Agree mate. I think we overpay for so many players so people naturally think that our scouts and board must know what they are doing. It turns out though that we are just a terribly run club who don’t know how to identify good players or buy players for a particular system. Just look at the Ronaldo signing, that came out of nowhere and was totally unnecessary, we were desperate for a midfielder.

AshRK

Agree mate. I think we overpay for so many players so people naturally think that our scouts and board must know what they are doing. It turns out though that we are just a terribly run club who don’t know how to identify good players or buy players for a particular system. Just look at the Ronaldo signing, that came out of nowhere and was totally unnecessary, we were desperate for a midfielder.
I agree. We overpay for every player and have them on insane wages boosting their egos. I don't think half of them are good enough to feature for this club as starters if we are to win PL or CL.

Bennie Blanco

I'd be okay with being shit if that meant I'd be able to get tickets week in, week out. If we didn't overpay so bloody much and offer ridiculous wages to bang average players.

If we bring back:

- pay at the door
- 15/20 quid tickets to stand behind the goal
- scrap season tickets

I'd be more than happy to see shit on a stick football every bloody week if we could make the afore mentioned happen. But nope, they would rather take us for a ride.. Smoke and mirrors every bloody season.

Thank god I also have an interest in boxing and international rugby because everything that's happening at the club is wrong on so many levels.

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Failure at the top, since Gill send SAF left. We should poach the guys who are best at transfers from one of the up and coming clubs. I hope that’s Ralf, but I worry they won’t actually listen to him.

Hopefully we’re actually in good hands now. A lot is being made of Lingard not being sold after Ralf said he could go, but we couldn’t get the fee we wanted, and I’m sure Ralf is fine with the club requiring a reasonable fee from loans and sales.We’ve given away players too cheaply in the past, it’s another thing that needs to be fixed.

When we come knocking teams see dollar signs and want to risk holding out for a monster fee, and they expect us to cover part of the wages on loans because we have in the past.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Liverpool are trying to win only their 2nd domestic cup in 15 years next month. They’ve had a brilliant side for 4 years now. You need a top side to win things or a bit of luck. We will win the odd cup here and there but we should expect trophy droughts. Another example of us United fans struggling to come to terms with the fact we don’t win everything anymore. We won enough cups over a 20 year period to last most clubs a lifetime. We won more league titles between 2003 and 2013 than Chelsea have in their entire history.

Accept we had a great golden era and we’re bound to go on trophy droughts. We could end up mid table before we end up dominating everything.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Buckle up united fans, it's going to be a long barren period without trophies coming up! Hopefully by 2030 we might be in a position to challenge again? Who knows

sdb4884

We have crap directors, crap management and overpaid players half of whom don't even want to be here. A recipe for disaster. feck the Glazers until they feck off none of this mess will ever get fixed properly.

Buckle up united fans, it's going to be a long barren period without trophies coming up! Hopefully by 2030 we might be in a position to challenge again? Who knows
Highly doubt anything would have changed by 2030. Man City will continue to tighten their grip on the top, Chelsea to a lesser extent. Newcastle will be a force and probably another team will have been bought by a country or huge corporation by then too.

I don’t see any way that we could even compete ever again under these owners, never mind win anything. They don’t have the money or strategic expertise to ever beat machines like Man City.

BorisManUtd

So gutted about our Europa League campaigns in 2020 and 2021. We missed some big chances against Sevilla in semis and lost in the end. Against Villarreal, we just should have won it without going to penalties. So those are 2 trophies that could've been won. We were never winning League Cup even though we reached all those semifinals, City were always better. Had that Fa Cup semifinal against Chelsea, lost that as well.

2018 - Fa Cup final
2019 - Fa Cup quarterfinals defeat vs Wolves after beating Arsenal and Chelsea away
2020 - league cup semis, Europa semis, Fa Cup semis
2021 - Europa League final, league cup semis, fa cup quarterfinals

It's so disappointing we never won anything after going far in those 3 competitions over previous 4 seasons.

ShinjiNinja26

I’ve fully written this season off now. I expect us to be knocked out of the CL by Atletico and I highly doubt we’ll secure top 4 either. Too many bottle jobs and players not up to standard for this team to be successful.

Dolf

Imagine firing a manager right after he has won you the FA Cup.
And look at us now…

Nicolarra90

Never thought we’d be touching 10 without a league title.

and before I get quoted by any dinosaur telling me about the history of the club, please remember I came up during the time United was the big dog.
History is cyclical. I'm totally expecting 25 years without a league.

spiriticon

Yeah same. I said in another thread that I hope that I would be able to see United win one more league title before I die.

I wasn't joking.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Now I don’t want to be misconstrued here, of course, I am desperate for us to win the league again - BUT, I do feel like the value of the PL title is becoming somewhat diminished. Due to the title being monopolised by a ruthlessly consistent yet largely irrelevant Manchester City team - I think the winning of it seems to matter less to fans, players and general observers.

Don’t get me wrong, you cannot get away with being rubbish - but a Liverpool side that has won only one league title in this golden 5 year period or whatever doesn’t seem to be any less heralded at all, they are largely recognised to be in a period of greatness under Klopp their Messiah, yet actual titles don’t seem to matter much (beyond the obvious need to win a first, which they did). But they are no less of a team for being the best team besides City, and I think that’s because there is an innate refusal to include City in the same conversation as the other big clubs and their respective ambitions. Nobody actually cares about them.

From a league perspective, I feel City have no better chance of attracting players or a manager than other PL clubs that are consistently in the CL, fighting for it and exciting most weeks in the league. Their title wins make no noise at all, and the conversation quickly shifts to whatever the rest of us are doing. For United, a league title is symbolic because we used to win it all the time. But the bigger issue is that we are just generally dull and miles away in every competition. In the grand scheme of things, Liverpool are not actually picking up that much silverware. I feel like because the team above them is, City - they don’t need to.

el3mel

I knew I was right to go to sleep for work and ignore the rest of the game.

I have learned my lessons. This current United team doesn't really deserve to sacrifice my sleeping/working time to watch them. They're all bunch of clowns.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole's time here has set us back further than I thought, clubs a mess. At times it looks like we need a whole new squad with the hope that it's under the right manager. If we get the next manager hire wrong, then it's us done from winning the league a while more. Now I understand how Liverpool went so many years without winning the league.

yipthatman

This thread isnt going to age well when we win the league next season with Ten Haag and Haaland :P I wish

slyadams

Football is cyclical of course, you can't dominate forever. Your academy will dry up, you'll make signings that don't work out, perhaps you'll make bad managerial appointments.

But you also have to accept that a club with among the most resources in the world cannot accept such a long period of mediocrity. Its not isolated decisions, you can make a compelling case that we've made 4 bad managerial appointments in a row. We've had no consistent philosophy of how we want to play (Moyes was get it wide and cross, LVG was just keep the ball forever, Mourinho was standard Mourinho and Ole didn't know what a philosophy was). We've spent a lot of money on players that haven't worked out for whatever reason (ability, mentality, coaching). We've engaged in vanity signings and neglected the balance of the squad entirely.

At some point there's no point criticising managers, coaches and players every week because the club are responsible for appointments at the top that feed down. The club rots from the head down. We have no real football expertise in the club and no-one who sets the foundation for what we are trying to achieve and how we will achieve it.

Many of you will know from my other posts that my wife and boys support the MK Dons and so I've gotten roped in because its a hell of a lot easier, and frankly more enjoyable, to follow them. The difference between how United and the Dons are run is eye opening. The Dons football staff are excellent. Every single season we will find players in the lower leagues and within 12-18 months they've been moved on for profits because we aren't big enough to retain top talent (e.g. we just sold Matt O'Reilly to Celtic and he's already a starter and getting rave reviews, Rhys Healey went to Toulouse where he's tearing it up and West Ham are now after him). However, the fans never really begrudge this because we know we need to do this to survive and we also know we have the structures and people in place to replace these players and still take us forward. We have a philosophy of playing that survives managers, a philosophy of what we want to be as a club and the type of players we want to sign.

United, compared to this, are an absolute basket case, its embarrassing for the fans and it should be embarrassing for the board who have consistently failed for a decade.

Pintu

The Atletico tie will be over after the first leg. I reckon we're losing by 3 goals in the first leg.
That would be very disappointing.

Here is Atletico's recent home record in the CL:

And the last time Atletico won a CL game by 3 goals or more was in 2015 against Astana (from Kazakhstan ).

Status
Not open for further replies.