5 years without a trophy - Further away than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Not had the right balance across the squad since 2009 and that's the brutal truth

AFC NimbleThumb

For all the League Cup isn’t a real trophy nonsense I’m sorely missing the excitement of watching this club compete in & win finals.

Looking at the starting 11s of both sides it’s fecking terrible so many dismiss days out like these. I’d much rather be tuning into United today than Watford at Home yesterday.

Can’t wait for us to start competing for things again.

estel_manutd

Not had the right balance across the squad since 2009 and that's the brutal truth
This is the truth.

Our 2008 CL final team included a midfield three of Scholes-Carrick-Hargreaves. Once Hargreaves broke down, we replaced him with Fletcher, who did a good job but was never a DM in the Hargreaves mold. Our central midfield has been an issue for the last 10 years.

laughtersassassin

And another for them lot. Sure it's not the last either this season.

Not really deserved as Lukakus goal probably should have stood but they always find a way

slyadams

We are cursed really :(
We're not at all cursed. We have executive management that are either genuinely incompetent or don't actually value football success. Make no mistake everything that is happening is self inflicted.

croadyman

We're not at all cursed. We have executive management that are either genuinely incompetent or don't actually value football success. Make no mistake everything that is happening is self inflicted.
Yeah they don't value football success at all

croadyman

This is the truth.

Our 2008 CL final team included a midfield three of Scholes-Carrick-Hargreaves. Once Hargreaves broke down, we replaced him with Fletcher, who did a good job but was never a DM in the Hargreaves mold. Our central midfield has been an issue for the last 10 years.
You could even argue it goes back to November 2005 when Keano left

AaronRedDevil

5 or 6 more years and we’ll finally be competitive. Need a DM and 2 CM, then a striker and a left winger because Rashford is not a winger. I dunno what he is. Then a CB, maybe even 2 after Varane leaves. My god what a shit show.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
And another for them lot. Sure it's not the last either this season.

Not really deserved as Lukakus goal probably should have stood but they always find a way
Another for them lot? They always find a way? Their first domestic cup in 10 years and their 2nd in 16 years. Hardly what they were having to endure from us in the 90’s and 2000’s.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Football is so depressing right now. I am no glory hunter but would be nice to at least play in more of these finals and win 1-2 occasionally. I know Arsenal had a long trophy drought but other than that usually when the big clubs were struggling in the league they were still managing to do more in cup competitions. We are just simply depressing and Liverpool being this good makes it even worse

youmeletsfly

Football is so depressing right now. I am no glory hunter but would be nice to at least play in more of these finals and win 1-2 occasionally. I know Arsenal had a long trophy drought but other than that usually when the big clubs were struggling in the league they were still managing to do more in cup competitions. We are just simply depressing and Liverpool being this good makes it even worse
I don't really care that much about trophies as long as we have the ability to compete for them and put in a great fight.

What baffles me about this club/organization is the lack of professionalism in the way it's being ran.

I currently work in a company that somehow makes hundreds of millions a year but believe me, it's a freak show. The people leading it somehow got hit by success overnight without actually having the skills to lead a company and they're currently "winging it" and it works, but the downfall will come and it will be huge. The same thing happened to United. ED and the others just happened to be given a business that worked brilliantly for the previous 20+ years. They winged it for a while thinking they know what they're doing and then it failed. This culminated with the Ole appointment, a brilliant man but one so much out of his depth as a manager. it was basically the same story of a man getting a top job in an organization and trying to wing it till it works.

The question is, will it be the same now with Ragnick in an advisory role? The quotes I've seen from him speak a lot about what is happening at the club and how it's organized. It's no accident he mentioned publicly he doesn't know what Fletcher and Mick are doing.

I just think the organization needs a lot of changes and usually, people in top management are not that open to that, as most of them are stuck in thinking they know it all and won't change. I'm casually optimistic about Ragnick being able to kind of reshape the way this shit is being ran and maybe, just maybe, this will be a solid foundation for the future.

I still think we-re 3-4 years away of a meaningful trophy and I'm okay with that.

Dansk

I know Arsenal had a long trophy drought but other than that usually when the big clubs were struggling in the league they were still managing to do more in cup competitions.
That and also the fact that it's far more of a failure for a club of United's size, legacy and finances than for a club like Arsenal, or Liverpool during their long slump. We've fallen a much further distance than they did. This club was so fortunate to have dominated English football precisely when the money in the sport started to grow dramatically. And it's not as if we haven't spent plenty of money, so I can't even claim that the Glazers bottlenecked us financially (though I certainly can blame them for many other things). To have fallen so severely from grace despite this level of spending power, this amount of global support, and the traditionally exceptional academy practices of the club, it really is a disgrace.

Arsenal were simply muscled out financially by us, Chelsea and City, and they just had no way of competing on that front. Liverpool spent their golden era in the 70s and 80s when the money was miniscule compared to what it became in the 90s and onwards, so they didn't have the spending power to push forward until the stars aligned with Klopp. United have no excuses, just sheer mismanagement, complacency and incompetence. No bad luck with the timing or with competitors outpacing us through financial doping. The Glazers are likely to blame for it, even if it can't be said that they held us back competitively in terms of finance. It's pathetic to have accomplished so little in a decade despite our spending power.

Marwood

You could even argue it goes back to November 2005 when Keano left
The club had its most successful period post Keane, so I don't think that could be argued.

But certainly it's been a decade since the midfield was as it should be.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Did you watch Keane in 2005?
Yes….he’d lost his legs and as a result we moved from 442 to playing 3 in the middle to compensate. We signed Carrick and to a lesser extent than Keane his job was to dictate the tempo of the game. SAF said at the time that we wouldn’t be able to replace Keane with one player. Carrick did a decent job of replacing the tempo Keane brought but had no legs himself. He also lacked drive and a will to win, tackling and determination that Keane never lost.

FriedClams

When we were winning the league all the time, I don't ever remember there being many occasions where it was a 3 horse race? Often, we were up against one very strong competitor (Arsenal and Chelsea) and the rest of the pack were some way off, in terms of investment and ability to attract players. There is now so much more money in the league, that EVERY team has gotten better, and the bigger teams now have squads that just weren't attainable back when we dominated. One team NEVER keeps on winning, there has to be periods where other teams have their moment in the sun, I think it's just important to not completely implode because of the frustration waiting for a trophy. It's all relative to how well the team plays for me, which has been the biggest concern this last decade or so. There's no shame in not winning the main trophies, so long as you give it a good go, which I feel like we are not far off of. This, coupled with a downward trajectory for Liverpool/City (Surely the next crop of players/managers wont be successful) means if we play it right, we could potentially dominate the second half of the 2020s.

el3mel

When we were winning the league all the time, I don't ever remember there being many occasions where it was a 3 horse race? Often, we were up against one very strong competitor (Arsenal and Chelsea) and the rest of the pack were some way off, in terms of investment and ability to attract players. There is now so much more money in the league, that EVERY team has gotten better, and the bigger teams now have squads that just weren't attainable back when we dominated. One team NEVER keeps on winning, there has to be periods where other teams have their moment in the sun, I think it's just important to not completely implode because of the frustration waiting for a trophy. It's all relative to how well the team plays for me, which has been the biggest concern this last decade or so. There's no shame in not winning the main trophies, so long as you give it a good go, which I feel like we are not far off of. This, coupled with a downward trajectory for Liverpool/City (Surely the next crop of players/managers wont be successful) means if we play it right, we could potentially dominate the second half of the 2020s.
Not really, nothing has changed. It's still two horse race every year between Liverpool and City, and in some years it was even only one horse race.

There's more money for sure but honestly the league is far more boring now than what it used to be previously. Now it's normal to see a league title wrapped up by December. Liverpool and City winning the league with 99 and 100 points and a point gap of 18 and 19 points away from 2nd team proves the current league is so shit.

Also a full decade without a single title challenge is a huge failure for a club like United. Even Spurs challenged for the league twice during these 10 years, for feck sake. We're only talking about a title challenge, not winning it.

Demaw

Hard to believe nearly 10 seasons already. What an absolute nightmare. It just feels like we don't even are in the mix for a challenge, every season by Christmas.

FriedClams

Hard to believe nearly 10 seasons already. What an absolute nightmare. It just feels like we don't even are in the mix for a challenge, every season by Christmas.
weren’t we top Last Christmas/new year?

Milphi

Still remember the swansea beating in the beginning of Moyes tenure thinking to myself it’ll be allright, buisines as usual after all the doubts I had with his appointment. Sadly things turned out as we thought it would, quicker than expected.

wolvored

No as City won't weaken and Newcastle will come to the fore. If we become a big team again that's at least 2 who will have a bottomless pit of money. Chelsea might be bought out by mega rich owners and maybe others.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Crazy stats. We really shouldnt use the "he has only been here for a short time, so its fine to lose a final" anymore. If your team managed to get into a final, most of the time youre good enough to win it and if you fail, then you fail. We had chances under Ole. But the most memorable one is Europa League.

He should have been replaced by then in hindsight but I remember most of Caf still very supportive of him because it was suppossed to be a rebuilding process and that he didnt have the players he trusts. Worked out really badly in the end. We should learn from this, the next manager that comes, if they fail to win anything, including "smaller' trophies after 1-2 years then questions need to be asked. No more of these "Give 3-4 years until he gets all the players he wants". Wasted so much time for nothing.

AFC NimbleThumb

Crazy stats. We really shouldnt use the "he has only been here for a short time, so its fine to lose a final" anymore. If your team managed to get into a final, most of the time youre good enough to win it and if you fail, then you fail. We had chances under Ole. But the most memorable one is Europa League.

He should have been replaced by then in hindsight but I remember most of Caf still very supportive of him because it was suppossed to be a rebuilding process and that he didnt have the players he trusts. Worked out really badly in the end. We should learn from this, the next manager that comes, if they fail to win anything, including "smaller' trophies after 1-2 years then questions need to be asked. No more of these "Give 3-4 years until he gets all the players he wants". Wasted so much time for nothing.
He should have gone after the Sevilla game, allowing the Leicester/Villareal performances last season showed en masse the fanbase were willing to accept failure.

GueRed

Yes….he’d lost his legs and as a result we moved from 442 to playing 3 in the middle to compensate. We signed Carrick and to a lesser extent than Keane his job was to dictate the tempo of the game. SAF said at the time that we wouldn’t be able to replace Keane with one player. Carrick did a decent job of replacing the tempo Keane brought but had no legs himself. He also lacked drive and a will to win, tackling and determination that Keane never lost.
We moved from 4-4-2 to three in the middle in 2001 not 2005.

But yeah I love Keane but he was on the decline in 2002 after his hip operation. Physically he wasn't the same player.
Year 2005 he was finished. He retired a year later.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
In view of the Arsenal (narrow) win vs Watford today, it is vital Man Utd. win this derby match. They have upset the odds before, but they must do it today. No top four would really mess up the project.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
We moved from 4-4-2 to three in the middle in 2001 not 2005.

But yeah I love Keane but he was on the decline in 2002 after his hip operation. Physically he wasn't the same player.
Year 2005 he was finished. He retired a year later.
Would you welcome him back as Manager?

I think he would deal with some of the primadonna issues plaguing the club at present, not sure about his cababilities in other areas of the job though...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nothing compared to recent runs of other big clubs.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I guess the Chelsea situation could help end this barren run, although I suppose the resurgence at Newcastle could mean they replace Chelsea as top-4 rivals.

That goal their new player (Bruno Guimarães) got was pretty amazing last week - I had never even heard of him before that, did Man Utd. not fancy having two Brunos in one team?

el3mel

Easily the worst season in the post Fergie era. I haven't experienced a season that I gave up completely on caring about the team altogether midway in season like this.

Moyes season had us reaching CL QF and me looking to face Bayern. LVG 2nd season had the Fa Cup final. Mourinho 3rd season had Ole honeymoon period and Juve & PSG games.

This season has been a miserable piece of shit pre and post Ole sacking. Ever since that Liverpool 5-0 thrashing I literally can't stand watching us play this season anymore.

The team is by far at its worst state in this godawful post Fergie era. With Moyes it was the first year and I had hopes LVG will solve it. With LVG I had hopes Mourinho is world class manager who's going to save us. With Ole I had hopes the next manager will never be worse than him.

Now I have nothing. Zero hope in this team. Zero caring.

I really, really don't give a shit anymore. United has ruined my love of football.

laughtersassassin

Well boys we did it! 5 years without a trophy and further aways then ever.

The team is absymal so hard to see next year being an option.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Longest drought in 40 fecking years.

Even worse that we've spent like utter morons. Contracts running out, buying our worst player for 80 mil and making him captain. Hiring incompetent staff. A bunch of leeches sucking money out of the club. It's rotten to the core.

Our only hope is a new manager that brings a new culture with new players. We need to go 3/3 to have any chance of winning again. There are levels to this shit and we are currently an average team.

Status
Not open for further replies.