6 realistic signings to improve us?

theklr

Seems like Spurs are looking into Thomas Lemar - shouldnt we as well?

hungrywing

I'd give up a year of beer for a peek into an alternate realilty where we got Fernandes and Olmo instead of Maguire.

Phillips and Tonali shouldn't cost more then 20m-30m, Kulusevski is said to be moving to Juve for 30m, Olmo should be around 40m, Bruno should cost 60m and I can see Zaniolo moving on the same lines.
Wow I thought he'd already moved somewhere. I'd go for that first pair then. Try for around 150-180k combined wages. Obviously try for Olmo. Bruno pie in the sky but triple obviously try for him. Although if it's true that Woodward torpedoed that deal.... I guess maybe he can do a Maguire again.

That'd just leave a RW and backup forward for next summer.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

3 22-year old South American's. Why aren't we linked with any of them?

Matheus Henrique - €22m - Holding midfield
Nicolas De La Cruz - €30m - Attacking, central midfield
Bruno Guimarães - €30m - Holding midfield.

sparx99

We should be throwing serious money at Fabian from Napoli and Van De Beek from Ajax.

Real Madrid have been linked with both but have been quiet after the emergence of a young midfielder whose name I forget.

We’d be able to double their wages without breaking sweat.

romufc

If we are going to sign anyone this window, it needs to be this coming week.
Wishful thinking. When has Ed Woodward ever concluded a deal that quick. Probably starts now to negotiating and have 50% chance of completing in July.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If we are going to sign anyone this window, it needs to be this coming week.
If we were signing anyone, the ground work SHOULD have been done between August and now, and so just a few finishing touches to the deal maybe.....But I'm sure you know as well as I what the stance will be..
"Monitoring the situation"...."considering making a bid"...."preparing to put a bid together"...."No value in the market"...."Faith in the players we have"...."Return from injury is like a new signing"...Blah, Blah, Blah....

I really don't want to see us panic buy, but its very, very obvious what we do need, and work should have been done to address the deficiencies.

Bestietom

If we were signing anyone, the ground work SHOULD have been done between August and now, and so just a few finishing touches to the deal maybe.....But I'm sure you know as well as I what the stance will be..
"Monitoring the situation"...."considering making a bid"...."preparing to put a bid together"...."No value in the market"...."Faith in the players we have"...."Return from injury is like a new signing"...Blah, Blah, Blah....

I really don't want to see us panic buy, but its very, very obvious what we do need, and work should have been done to address the deficiencies.
I think we have already missed out on 2 of our targets in Haaland and Kulusevski.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think we have already missed out on 2 of our targets in Haaland and Kulusevski.
Agreed, which comes to my point that negotiations SHOULD have already been taking place and be at an advanced stage.
Very concerning though, when you get the impression that we are only just thinking about what players we need to sign, with no idea if they might be available or even if they would be interested in signing...

Eric's Seagull

Agreed, which comes to my point that negotiations SHOULD have already been taking place and be at an advanced stage.
Very concerning though, when you get the impression that we are only just thinking about what players we need to sign, with no idea if they might be available or even if they would be interested in signing...
Totally agree with you. It is an utter shambles and I mentioned in a previous post we should have targets lined up and ready to sign.

Woodward and co have had all these months to plan and asses which areas we need improving in. They should have had the targets lined up, found out if they are available, if not moved on and if he wants to come up with of his bs excuses which you rightly mentioned in a previous post, we should be looking for some loan signings.

Bestietom

Minamino is another who Liverpool snapped up for buttons. What was our excuse here.

UpWithRivers

Ziyech, Eriksen and Partey and we are sorted. Still need a striker - Werner would be ideal but unlikely. Girioud? until we can get better in summer

romufc

Yet the excuse will be that January is very difficult to do business in.

its the 3rd Jan and Haaland and Kulusevski have both signed for a new club.

Minamino has moved to Liverpool.

We will only ever consider and prepare a bid.

Paul_Scholes18

Be honest, have any of you actually seen some of these people you're suggesting we sign play? Or it purely based on their Fifa/FM potential? :lol:

How crazy is it that those 4 would genuinely improve us :lol:
Di Maria was obviously world class, but didn't work here. I don't think he liked/was suited to our tactics under LVG and there might have been other factors why he struggled so much. Evans was a strange move from LVG to sell too I guess since he wanted Blind as central defender.

Depay I didn't rate much with us although he had a few nice game. Midjylland in europa league was magical although it was an easy opponent. It did feel like LVG only bought him since he was dutch. Has actually improved a lot away from us now though.

LuckyScout78

Realistic this January transfer window :

Kristoffer Olsson from Krasnodar. Why? He can do a good consistent job as a creative nr.8 and a good nr.6 option. Aggressive and good to tackle. Nr.8 & 6

Bruno Fernandes. Sporting Lisbon. Why?Fast and skillful in small areas. Determination and has killer instinct when it come to finish = sharp in front of goal. He can do a good consistent job as a free nr.10 and as a nr.8

Federico Chiesa. Fiorentina. Why?Because United RW options are not good enough for a top 4 team, not talk about a winning league team. I am not sure Jadon Sancho will end up at Old Trafford. So i buy another really good winger and attacking player. So i will not rely too much and show that i am so desperate after Sancho. It will increase to price. Another reason to buy Chiesa. He can play all over the attacking line. As a free nr.10 and left winger too.
And if i get Chiesa this January. With all those 3 or with Chiesa and Olsson. They lifted United level and win more matches consistent. Then the chance to get the best players in the summer will rise.

Where those 3 suit best in the line up?

Chiesa - Fernandes/Olsson /Pogba - McTom/Fred/Olsson/Matic - Rashford/James/Chiesa +

Fernandes/Chiesa/Greenwood - Martial/Rashford

Those 3 gives United more depth and lesser rely on Pogba.

With Olsson, Chiesa and Fernandes i can promise United will win more against parking bus team. All of those 3 are quick, fast and good in small area. And it is hard to take the ball from them. Because all of those 3 are skillful with the ball.
All of those 3 are not playing for the biggest team in Europe. But together and together with McTom, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and if Pogba stay. A good fundament of a good strong squad with depth. To get top 4 each season in the years to come.

Olsson, Fernandes, Chiesa + Rashford and Martial. Teams they will meet. They will let you chase the ball most of the time. 3 is ok but 5 together at the same time. They will dominate, together. I can promise. Fast and skillful footie ball players all 5 together. Too much too handle together. For every parking bus teams. And we are not talking about with Sancho and Pogba yet.

Let join our Ocean Eleven. Our goals and targets are : Biggest trophies.

ShinjiNinja26

Sign another CB to replace the one we just bought? I mean Lindelof has been playing better than Maguire so on earth would we need Koulibaly?
Well their hardly the most convincing pair are they and Koulibaly would be a huge upgrade on both of them, could have a Van Dijk effect on the defence. But there’s a lot more pressing issues in the team to attend to first like midfield and attack but I certainly wouldn’t say no to him if available.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well their hardly the most convincing pair are they and Koulibaly would be a huge upgrade on both of them, could have a Van Dijk effect on the defence. But there’s a lot more pressing issues in the team to attend to first like midfield and attack but I certainly wouldn’t say no to him if available.
There are a lot more pressing issues in the team like you said and spending 100m on another defender would be beyond daft at this point, when we need 2-3 midfielders and a right winger. It would be absolutely bizarre

El Zoido

Sign another CB to replace the one we just bought? I mean Lindelof has been playing better than Maguire so on earth would we need Koulibaly?
Eh, still think Maguire is the better player, but in poor form. Would be good to get a top class CB to play alongside him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maguire is a much better player IMO. Lindelof hasn't really shown he is ever more than a distinctly average player, or anything to suggest he can be more than average. Maguire at least has dominant performances in the inconsistency.

Paxi

Eh, still think Maguire is the better player, but in poor form. Would be good to get a top class CB to play alongside him.
Probably is a better player but it would still be extremely silly signing another defender when we need a couple of midfielders, a winger and possibly a striker.

Paxi

Maguire is a much better player IMO. Lindelof hasn't really shown he is ever more than a distinctly average player, or anything to suggest he can be more than average. Maguire at least has dominant performances in the inconsistency.
He has shown better form than Maguire this season, consistently. Not sure where those glimpses of dominant performances you're seeing from Maguire if I'm honest. Again, Maguire could well be a better player but he hasn't been better than Lindelof this season, which isn't saying a lot. Still, buying a another CB would be laughable at this point and tantamount negligence as we badly need to improve other areas. Oh and we have Smalling on our books who has been on of the best players in Serie A -- just a thought.

Gerald G

Players are there we just seem to be stupid.

Dani Olmo, Grealish, Maddison or Zaniolo for the creative mid/no.10 role.
Fabian Ruiz, Marc Roca, Thomas Partey, Saul Niguez or Kalvin Phillips for the CM position.
Sancho, Chiesa or Ziyech for the right winger position.

I think the highlighted are most realistic.

midnightmare

Could say Messi, Mbappe and de Bruyne and it’d likely be as “realistic” as any other names given the leaks that “it’s highly likely” we will sign nobody.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
For January we need bodies in CM. I'd go for Rabiot. He's available, he's young, he's talented, he's very mobile and he wants to play football. At 6ft2 he's got that physicality to do well in the EPL. I would also have a look at Carrasco. He's quite a great talent with an eye to goal, he's comfortable both as RW and LW, he wants to leave China and recent salary cap changes means that his club would probably want to sell him quickly. Finally we might persuade Juventus to loan us Emre Can on a right to buy basis.

RedWilliam

Sometimes I wish this club was run by its supporters. There are so many good players out there we could/should buy. Many here seem aware of it. Although the process of getting a few of them might be a bit more complicated than we like to think I still think the fans here would fix the problems quicker than the Glazers and Woodward does.

My top three pick for most realistic signings that would also fit in and help rebuild. Would also need to get rid of a load of deadwood, but that’s for another thread I guess. Same with the debate over Solskjaers future, which I firmly believe should stay. Not his fault. Problem goes MUCH deeper and higher up in the system. But anyways...
Grealish. Adds creativity and drive forward. Has become quite the leader at Villa and has grown lots. Probably the most "classic" United signing today. Would do so much for us. Great player and character to have. Imagine him instead of Jlolz...
McNeil. Why was he let go again? Seems to be a huge talent whenever I watch him. Hard worker, good technique, great crosses. Cant believe he was here... Another expensive mistake we should fix. I really like the way he plays and moves. This might sound weird, and I don’t mean in terms of ability or potential, But there is something about him that reminds me of a young raw hybrid between Beckham and Messi. Yep, sounded weird...
Godfrey. Big talent. Ball playing. Been a talent for years. Would be great to have him and Tuanzebe as our future center backs. We also have some other talents in our youth squad. As always. If only more of them took the last couple of steps. The so-called partnership between Maguire and Lindelof isn’t working.

A couple of personal favorites that I would LOVE to see in United, but not really consider to be "realistic".
Sancho
Sangare
Phillips
Soumare
Pozo
Ziyech
Lundstram
Danilo Pereira
Fabian Ruiz
Houssem Aouar

Seeing a lot of the same names popping up again and again here. I agree on some, not all.
Kristoffer Olsson seems unrealistic. Have not seen him myself but judging by stats, nothing special. And why go to Russia after mediocre years in Sweden if you’re that good?
Bruno Fernandes would have gone to a top team already if he is actually that good. Seems he is not now. Media/fans hyped.
Dani Olmo would be good, but most likely goes back to Spain. Why join United if some of the top teams in Spain wants you?
Frederico Chiesa makes too much sense for United. I dont believe it at all. Just like buying Sancho, Zakaria, Saul or Ziyech. For that matter even Grealish/Maddison. Not gonna happen. Would love it, but wont. Most perfect and logical signings in the eyes of fans rarely happens. We would have both Odegard and Haaland by now if it did. Those two would fix our biggest problem easy.
But instead we might go for Longstaff or Emre Can...

Sjaakmeoff

Players are there we just seem to be stupid.

Dani Olmo, Grealish, Maddison or Zaniolo for the creative mid/no.10 role.
Fabian Ruiz, Marc Roca, Thomas Partey, Saul Niguez or Kalvin Phillips for the CM position.
Sancho, Chiesa or Ziyech for the right winger position.

I think the highlighted are most realistic.

Olmo looks Barca bound. But yes, he would be great.

theklr

Getting linked to Raul Jimenez by various sources. It’s all fake probably, but would be a nice backup .

Rocknrolla69er

Where do you get your supply from, that is one of the most innacurate crackers posts ive read. lindelof is bang average see Mourinhis comments on him