63% of Liverpool squad "asthmatic" - any substance to this article?

Erics_Collar

Just read this article:

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

Some bold but unsurprising claims. But this bit stood out:

With so many sickly players in the Liverpool ranks, where of 35 players 22 are asthmatic – 63% of the squad, over five times higher than the 12% UK average. With COVID-19 threatening these at risk souls, it’s already dangerous. To keep the players at the max for an entire season, on numerous fronts, substances to enhance and support performance are needed.
Anyone else heard this anywhere?

Easy to know what's been insinuated, but I guess all clubs are at it anyway.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Listening to Klopp would give anyone breathing difficulties.

Na. Asthma is very convenient when you need legal access to certain substances on the doping list. Having a squad full of players diagnosed as asthmatics is a carbon copy of the cycling's 101 for dopers.

Skills

Snitch
FSG sponsored program? They ran around like maniacs under Rodgers too

arthurka

Probably all with skin irritation so the cortisone cream can be used to. It looks a lot like a cycling gig.

Hoof the ball

Reminds me of when those professional rock climbers were banned because they used ventolin inhalers so regularly on the climb as to gain a discernible advantage over the competition.

BootsyCollins

I know 2 people who was pretty high up as junior cross country skiers in Norway. Both had asthma combined with pollen in the summer. They were urged to use the medicine even at winter time because of the pros i gave.
Its almost like leagal doping i guess.

Blood Mage

Was there much doubt that they were resorting to subtle doping tactics? For them to press like animals nearly every game, season after season, and not pick up any injuries to key players was always suspect.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I liked the notion of the article because it's talking about doping in football which people seemingly pretend that it doesn't exist but it's missing sources in a lot of places like the asthma numbers.

I wonder why this Russian based writer did not quote Russians doping once since it's at least one of the few concrete examples he could use.

PSV

We get a TON of stick from other countries back here in Norway because literally every winter sports athlete we have is allegedly asthmatic, to which they receive medicine. Heck, they even offered medicine to the athletes without asthma because it enhances their performance.

At times I've heard the effect is bit like running EPO, but I have no idea about any of this.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Some legal piss-test-proof version of Clenbuterol I imagine

Falcow

Na. Asthma is very convenient when you need legal access to certain substances on the doping list. Having a squad full of players diagnosed as asthmatics is a carbon copy of the cycling's 101 for dopers.
If the 13 player's who are not asmatic are the ones making up the squad numbers then it would be a more interesting story.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's been conclusively established that inhibition of the leukotriene pathway improves physical performance & bronchodilation in asthmatics, and there's increasing evidence that this might also apply to non-asthmatics. It's very convenient that montelukast (usually branded as Singulair) is a commonly prescribed leukotriene antagonist for patients with asthma.

Haddock

Probably off topic but it is hilarious how every accused doper seems to suffer from some weird condition that simply requires them to take THAT drug that just happens to be prohibited.

GazTheLegend

We get a TON of stick from other countries back here in Norway because literally every winter sports athlete we have is allegedly asthmatic, to which they receive medicine. Heck, they even offered medicine to the athletes without asthma because it enhances their performance.

At times I've heard the effect is bit like running EPO, but I have no idea about any of this.
Indeed.

100% of the Premier League are "Clean" athletes in a sport absolutely dominated by speed and endurance levels? Massively funded with HUGE rewards? And a totally lax doping system?

Has there EVER been a failure in a Premier League doping test, besides Man City and West Ham conveniently missing the 3 whereabouts test with a tiny slap on the wrist.

Trophy Room

Exactly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Even in cycling that would be fishy. They should diversify the medical conditions.

Gomes

Where are United's asthmatics? Come on Ole, are you Norwegian or not?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Even in cycling that would be fishy. They should diversify the medical conditions.
At one point around 80% of the peleton was on asthma medication.

Lynty

That's it, add another asterisk to their title...

NotThatSoph

If you want to shit on Liverpool for this, then you should either not care about what we're up to or be prepared to shit on United if similar numbers come out. I don't see any reason to believe that this is anything out of the ordinary in an elite sport.

United58

If you want to shit on Liverpool for this, then you should either not care about what we're up to or be prepared to shit on United if similar numbers come out. I don't see any reason to believe that this is anything out of the ordinary in an elite sport.
I'd shit on the quality of the drugs if we were found to be using them :lol:

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I've been saying it all along, clear as day they are cheating bastards and should be stripped of the *title.

cyberman

Did they becone asthmatic as soon as they joined Liverpool?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Probably off topic but it is hilarious how every accused doper seems to suffer from some weird condition that simply requires them to take THAT drug that just happens to be prohibited.
It's usually not really weird conditions and the list of banned substances is very, very long. Not saying that all of those diagnoses are genuine, mind.