7 ex United players still in the European Cups

Josep Dowling

I think it’s a crazy stat that there are 7 former United players still in the European Cups. Be honest how many did you actually want to keep?

Young
Lukaku
Sanchez (technically, not sure he can play?)
Di Maria
Herrera
Depay
Rafael

NoneBmStore

Had he wanted to stay, Di Maria
Obviously world class.
Perhaps Raphael.

Bwuk

Wanted to keep Herrera and Memphis.

Only di Maria and Herrera would start for us.

SAFMUTD

I think it’s a crazy stat that there are 7 former United players still in the European Cups. Be honest how many did you actually want to keep?

Young
Lukaku
Di Maria
Herrera
Depay
Rafael
The only one good enough is Di Maria, but he's a cnut so feck him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
They would nearly all be decent squad options right about now. who have we actually replaced out of them. Rafael/Young- AWB.
Herrera- Fred?
Depay could rotate with Rashford&Martial
Lukaku&Sanchez- replaced with the above and no quality backup.

to be fair we would still need to replace them soon but squad management has been weird and we’ve left ourselves way too short and probably won’t invest enough to get all the cover and competition we need back in the squad this summer.

Di Maria if he had wanted to be here.
Rafael.
Herrera as a backup.

The rest are either past it or were never good enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
At others have said, if he wanted to be here then obviously Di Maria, but as he clearly didn't then it was right to let him go.

Herrera would be the 3rd best midfielder at the club so he'd still be very useful.

Young would have been good for covering Shaw through his injury and allowing AWB to rest.

Depay is good enough to be fighting with our first team attackers... Or at the very least be good on the bench.

Lukaku is a quality striker but not really for how we play.

Sanchez no, and I have no idea how good Rafael is anymore.

Renegade

People still saying Rafael in 2020?
His career at Lyon has been meh. I loved him when we had him but hindsight has shown it was right to let go.

Chief123

Young
Lukaku
Di Maria
Herrera
Depay
Rafael
i know they aren’t united, but also the randomness of:

Victor Moses
Eriksen
Chupo Moting

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Herrera one is weird. He always comes out and says how much he loves United and wanted to stay but then on here it seems like he refused all contract offers from you? Did you lowball him that much or did he just moneygrab in the end?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The Herrera one is weird. He always comes out and says how much he loves United and wanted to stay but then on here it seems like he refused all contract offers from you? Did you lowball him that much or did he just moneygrab in the end?
Yes and yes I think.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Only Ander and Ed Woodward know that.

Manny

Grammar Police
None of them.

Herrera has been anonymous tonight, so I'm not that fussed about him now. Di Maria is quality, but it didn't work out so...

stevoc

Its a complicated one the story that we offered him a paycut only came from Duncan Castles. Every other UK journo says we offered him around £200k to stay but he preferred to leave anyway.

Then when he left his story was that he felt unwanted because we didn't offer him a new deal before the last two years of his contract. Even though we wait until the last 24-18 months to renegotiate almost all contracts.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
So are they better coached with the current teams.
Gnabry was just a late bloomer I reckon. Obviously Wenger saw something in him just didn't show it

Rico is crap... Pretty sure it was him that threw one in against Liverpool. He is the back up keeper.

Amarsdd

None. Don't really care they are doing it for other teams, thing is they didn't look like doing it for us.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Di Maria who isn't far before them, Rafael on the bench for Lyon tomorrow night too. Daley Blind who played in a CL semi-final last year also.
---------------Lukaku-------Zlatan----------
Sanchez----Di Maria-Herrera----Memphis
Blind-----Evans-----Smalling-----Young
----------------------Johnstone

This team would give our starting XI a good game.

Amos, Januzaj, Varela, Rafael, Nani, Mkhitaryan, Hernandez, Zaha are all still playing consistently too. Good for them.
How would we fare against this side?

dal

Di Maria, Van Gaal cocked it all up with his emails.

He would be doing bits on our right wing now and he would provide cover for Bruno.

Sancho, Di Maria, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Ighalo.

That would be great and maybe £75 million in wages per year, not bad.

Josep Dowling

He money grabbed but has he made the wrong decision? Now in a Champions League final playing alongside Mbappé and Neymar. And a guaranteed league title every season. More than we will achieve in the next 5 years I’m sure.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Can't say i agree, he was here and couldn't get a game ahead of Williams/Shaw/Wan Bissaka and even Dalot. Which is why he left.
That's not really true... In the first 20 league games of the season, Young started 11, Williams started 4.

When Shaw was injured Williams was only preferred to Young in two games... The draws against Villa and Sheff Utd.

Josep Dowling

None of them.

Herrera has been anonymous tonight, so I'm not that fussed about him now. Di Maria is quality, but it didn't work out so...
He played the press on the player who slipped to create the third goal. And also played Mbappé through for an easy chance which the keeper saved.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Money grab but also rejecting a side that regularly competes in the CL,and consistently wins their domestic title,would be abit bonkers to refuse,especially to stick around with us who are very much (still) in a 50/50 phase right now.