70s Retro Football Fantasy Championship - DRAFT THREAD

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't think a diamond works with Abidal and Lauren at fullback. Abidal's a supporting player in attack (at best) not someone who's going to own that wing and while Lauren's better offensively, he's still going to struggle as the sole attacker on his side, even with two attackers who will pull out wide.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I wonder how Luis Enrique's seen by those not old enough to have seen him at his peak. Have to say I knew very little of him before I watched a few Barca games of Ronaldo and Figo, and I was surprised how good he was. I've still seen very little of him but I do know he was very good. And he must've played about 6 different positions in that Spanish cup final alone.
Like Antohan I'm a big fan of his energy, drive, versatility, finishing and ability to play near enough anywhere on the park. And it's possible that his relative lack of success domestically (3 titles in 13 seasons at El Classico clubs) and internationally (as part of classic, under-achieving Spanish sides, although who knows how far they'd have gone had Tassotti's elbow on Enrique not gone unpunished in '94) will count against him in the reputation stakes.

It'll be hard enough with a four-man midfield never mind a two-man midfield. Up against Mendieta and Vieira that would be game over.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We're choosing the first one.

Coldboy, stop losing it and get on with the game.

Coldboy's team is this. Brwned, please start the match whenever you want to.

Cold_Boy

Like Antohan I'm a big fan of his energy, drive, versatility, finishing and ability to play near enough anywhere on the park. And it's possible that his relative lack of success domestically (3 titles in 13 seasons at El Classico clubs) and internationally (as part of classic, under-achieving Spanish sides, although who knows how far they'd have gone had Tassotti's elbow on Enrique not gone unpunished in '94) will count against him in the reputation stakes.

It'll be hard enough with a four-man midfield never mind a two-man midfield. Up against Mendieta and Vieira that would be game over.
Ballack and Keane.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

:lol: Who's boss there?

Would love a Keano pre-match interview on this whole debacle.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Where you really wondering over having Beckham in the team with width and balance and better team in every aspect of the game or Litmanen there and ruin your shape and basically playing 4-2-4.

So obvious this one.

Brwned

Gonna need the updated profiles and that, K. Otherwise I'll just post the two images and leave it there!

Brwned

You can find your own bloody player profiles this time! It's a right ball-ache having to trawl through those threads every time to find the again because you gimps are too lazy. Doesn't both me copying and pasting the same image and tactics and stuff from previous ones, but when you're giving me new images and tactics but expect me to get the rest of the stuff...the cheek of it!

KM

You can find your own bloody player profiles this time! It's a right ball-ache having to trawl through those threads every time to find the again because you gimps are too lazy. Doesn't both me copying and pasting the same image and tactics and stuff from previous ones, but when you're giving me new images and tactics but expect me to get the rest of the stuff...the cheek of it!
Just give me a minute, I'll do the player profiles.

KM

MARCOS

Brazil's main goalkeeper during the 2002 World Cup winning squad.One of the best Brazilian keepers ever and voted 4th best in the world according to IFFHS

LAUREN

First choice in the Arsenal's Invincibles Team.Voted ANC player of tournament in 2000 and also made it into the PFA team of 2004.Was one of the best right backs in the PL era.Solid defensively as well as great going forward

STAM

Jaap Stam needs no intro for us United fans.Beast of a defender.
1997 Dutch player of the year.Twice best defender in the CL and 3 times part of the PFA team of year. Legend! No team will even bother messing with my team.

MATERAZZI

Now lets forget what a cnut he was and the Zidane incident. Materazzi was one of the best defenders in Italy over past 2 decades.Voted Serie A defender of the Year 2007 and won 5 Serie A titles and World Cup winner.

Known for his aggressive style and no nonsense defending.Chipped in with a decent number of goals too throughout his career.

ABIDAL

One of the best left-back of recent times.Made it into the UEFA team of the year 2007 and voted Defender of the year recently and French regular ahead of Evra.

Tall,Fast and Strong.Equally amazing attacking wise and defensively.

DAVID BECKHAM- Surely no need for an introduction for this guy. United legend and one of the best crossers in the history of the game. At his peak, he was brilliant.

ROY KEANE- Again surely no need for an introduction. An absolute beast at his prime who could outfight and outpass any damn midfielder. He was the equivalent of two midfielders in his prime

BALLACK

Arguably the best box-to-box midfielder of the last decade.An absolute machine and midfielder who could do everything possible.
Known for his Passing ,Agility, Shooting, Quickness, Strength, Ability in air, Attitude.So basically everything. Had an eye for those killer through balls too and a very good goal scoring record. 42 in 90 for Germany and a similar record for the clubs in his pick.

Was my favorite midfielder before he joined Chelsea.

WILTORD

Another member of the brilliant Arsenal side. French footballer of the year 1999 and top scorer in the French league once.

RONALDO- Partnering Sheva in attack is as he's called the "Il Fenomeno", some call him the one of the best striker in the history of the game.

SHEVCHENKO

Needs no introduction imo. One of the best strikers ever. AC Milan legend.

2004 Winner of the Ballon D'Or and placed 3rd thrice.

Subs:

DI NATALE
LITMANEN
HAMANN
ALBELDA

antohan

Team Antohan for SF

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 which I could easily turn into a 4-3-2-1 with Luis Enrique dropping on the right of a three man central midfield if ever under sustained pressure.

Scholes and Simeone are there to give no space for Valerón and Rivaldo to operate in. Simeone in particular tasked with Rivaldo not getting any joy. Scholes pivots and operates as an outlet, either advancing himself or pinging balls for the three AMs or my excellent pair of attacking fullbacks. Nothing to worry about there, both players have a significantly higher workrate than Brwned’s creative outlets: pressing is rather one-way.[FONT=&quot]

The three attacking midfielders will keep Davids, Tacchinardi and Pirlo busy keeping tabs on them. If they come forward to press Scholes they leave a man on the loose. If they don’t Scholes has complete freedom. They’ll spend the game running around like headless chicken, not sure whether to chase the ball, their men or which men for that matter.

[/FONT] If they do dispossess my attacking midfielders, both Forlán and Luis Enrique have significantly more work rate, pressing and willingness to track back (even shirtless) than Valerón and Rivaldo. Zidane not as much, but he is onto Pirlo so it’s not a lot of battling I’m asking of him. He is the one to really close down on as I’m not particularly worried about what Tacchinardi and Davids can create. [FONT=&quot]

Possession is as much winning the ball as what you do with it. Brwned’s personnel is geared to the former and may edge it somewhat, but I have him scrambling at the latter. All my midfielders are excellent ball players (Simeone comparatively less, but himself quite a complete midfielder).
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Brwned can’t defend particularly high up as Ayala wouldn’t cope with Vieri’s pace. Vieri was a natural line leader, Shearer was not, always relied on a partner and doesn’t have the pace to bother my two CBs[FONT=&quot].

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]With Zidane and Scholes together the world would be a better place, cafites in need of sexual gratification could just turn on the telly and watch Team Antohan[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

PLAYER PROFILES
[/FONT]

antohan

Mmmm... looks like Brwned will only be posting this tomorrow.

Bear in mind I'm three hours behind and will likely have to rejig after you post your actual teamsheet. 10:30am UK time will be fine.

I'll be on for a couple of hours from now though.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 which I could easily turn into a 4-3-2-1 with Luis Enrique dropping on the right of a three man central midfield if ever under sustained pressure.

Scholes and Simeone are there to give no space for Valerón and Rivaldo to operate in. Simeone in particular tasked with Rivaldo not getting any joy. Scholes pivots and operates as an outlet, either advancing himself or pinging balls for the three AMs or my excellent pair of attacking fullbacks. Nothing to worry about there, both players have a significantly higher workrate than Brwned’s creative outlets: pressing is rather one-way.[FONT=&quot]

The three attacking midfielders will keep Davids, Tacchinardi and Pirlo busy keeping tabs on them. If they come forward to press Scholes they leave a man on the loose. If they don’t Scholes has complete freedom. They’ll spend the game running around like headless chicken, not sure whether to chase the ball, their men or which men for that matter.

[/FONT] If they do dispossess my attacking midfielders, both Forlán and Luis Enrique have significantly more work rate, pressing and willingness to track back (even shirtless) than Valerón and Rivaldo. Zidane not as much, but he is onto Pirlo so it’s not a lot of battling I’m asking of him. He is the one to really close down on as I’m not particularly worried about what Tacchinardi and Davids can create. [FONT=&quot]

Possession is as much winning the ball as what you do with it. Brwned’s personnel is geared to the former and may edge it somewhat, but I have him scrambling at the latter. All my midfielders are excellent ball players (Simeone comparatively less, but himself quite a complete midfielder).
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Brwned can’t defend particularly high up as Ayala wouldn’t cope with Vieri’s pace. Vieri was a natural line leader, Shearer was not, always relied on a partner and doesn’t have the pace to bother my two CBs[FONT=&quot].

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]With Zidane and Scholes together the world would be a better place, cafites in need of sexual gratification could just turn on the telly and watch Team Antohan[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

PLAYER PROFILES
[/FONT]

Don't like seeing Scholes so deep. He should be up there with Zizou

antohan

Don't like seeing Scholes so deep. He should be up there with Zizou
One magician per layer, they could get in each others' ways otherwise.

I also opted for this as Scholes will have a lot more freedom to dictate with Brwned's DMs further up the pitch. Valerón would be like having a fly hanging around and as soon as Scholes swats it he will be injured... again.

Against Cling bak it may be a different proposition but I think that's the right one here.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
So this was my team for the semi-final:

Subs:
M.Laursen
Edmilson
Ze Roberto
F.Morientes

I have the option of any of the following:
Abidal, Stam, Lauren, Ballack, Keane, Beckham, Litmanen, Ronaldo, Shevchenko

My full-backs are not my strongest players, but for me they're solid enough and my potential opponents for the final don't have strong wing players to see any mis-matches.

My midfield is good, but Keane is always tempting against strong midfields of Brwned or antohan.

Ronaldo is the best forward available, should I go for him and push Henry wide? A formation change? Or is 4-4-2 too unfashionable these days?!

Thoughts welcomed.

Brwned

I think it has to be Henry wide and Ronaldo down the middle.

antohan

Yups, already said as much in the semifinal thread. Ronaldo, Henry wide, Overmars right.

4-4-2 is an unknown quantity as far as popularity is concerned.

Snow

I know. And a lot of teams have been playing 4-4-2. I've generally voted against those teams if they were playing against a team with 3 in midfield. How could you not?

Henry out wide and Overmars on the right. Ronaldo up top. Can't really go any other way. Overmars is a player that cuts in form the left, same as Henry, so he'll just have to act in a more traditional sense of a winger. Or sort of like Walcott does for Arsenal but him being the better footballer of course.

Stam over Carvalho isn't a significant improvement. I'd rather have Kelly than Lauren. Abidal over Capdevila is certainly better but not as good as adding Ronaldo.
2nd option would be to add Keane instead of Riquelme. Less creativity but the other team will definitely not win the midfield battle.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

My full-backs are not my strongest players, but for me they're solid enough and my potential opponents for the final don't have strong wing players to see any mis-matches.

My midfield is good, but Keane is always tempting against strong midfields of Brwned or antohan.

Ronaldo is the best forward available, should I go for him and push Henry wide? A formation change? Or is 4-4-2 too unfashionable these days?!

Thoughts welcomed.
It has to be Ronaldo, Keane or Beckham - forget the rest.

Difficult to find a formation for you that works with Beckham, probably involve bringing in Morientes and going 442.
Possibly you don't need Keane as you already have Viera, although it would still be an upgrade with Riquelme sent to the bench and Mendieta taking a more creative role.
Ronaldo with Henry moving out left does seem to be the stand out option.

Zen

Henry won like 10 trophies out wide....and also played there more exclusively in France glory years....although he also played there in their breakdown too -_-

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Thoughts welcomed.
Although Antohan might stick Luis Enrique up against Capdevilla, neither him nor Brwned have decent width in midfield or attack so full-back won't an issue. It's got to be Ronaldo for me. You can get an upgrade on McManaman without having to squeeze Mendieta into a position which voters won't be comfortable with - even if he did play there often enough for Valencia and Spain.

Keep the shape of the midfield three and stick Henry in Overmars' position. Sorted.

antohan

The attacking contribution from your fullbacks is still minimal and that would count (how can two players being substandard not count?). But you are not going to improve much so you have to live with that.

I personally think the option done to death so far is best, then your second choice would be Beckham is you are even considering going 4-4-2 at any stage.

That's what it boils down to.

Snow

Attacking contribution from Capdevila wouldn't be minimal. Compared to a full back it's better than his defending. You also don't need both full backs to be going forward much so Kelly not being specifically man marking someone exempts him from being the weak link the team.

antohan

You also don't need both full backs to be going forward much so Kelly not being specifically man marking someone exempts him from being the weak link the team.
Doesn't need to go forward, no one to mark so not a weak link... By the sounds of it he may as well not enter the pitch.

antohan

You heard of zonal defending Anto?
Sure, but everyone makes it sound like the absence of a winger makes a good fullback redundant, which is nonsense of course.

If I am Forlán or Luis Enrique attacking the space and see a choice of Cannavaro or Kelly, and Carvalho or Capdevila, other things equal, I know which way I will go (somewhere in between depending on where my own fullback is).

If I am Nesta and I have Zanetti next to me I am confident he can deal with someone heading that way, if I have Kelly I may end up in two minds regarding what to do.

Look at Cahill and Smalling last night, communication and trust between defenders is a huge part of defending effectively. Will Cling have that with such a disparate backline? I doubt it.

Of course it has an impact.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Unless I go for Keane and do something radical like a 3-4-3?!

VdS
Cannavaro - Edmilson - Carvalho
Keane
Mendieta - Vieira
Riquelme
McManaman - Henry - Overmars​

Too risky?!

I'd actually have this option with Ronaldo, if Vieira played deepest and Ze Roberto came into midfield.