Television 77th Golden Globe Awards 2020

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Very predictable outcome for most of the main categories. You can almost tell which film is going to get the noms throughout the year even before you see it. Not saying they are good or bad films but I could have put my house on Rocketman, Judy and Joker for example getting nominated even before they were released. And of course you have Dolemite Is My Name to appease the diversity crowd even though it never stood a prayer.

To be fair, there weren't many stand out movies, but I guess that depends on what floats your boat. Thank feck, they didn't touch Ad Astra with a barge pole.

Full list of nominations and winners here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50713841

I'm guessing there won't be much difference to the Oscars. Who actually nominates and votes for these winners anyway?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is 1917 even out yet?

Edit - yes!

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The Missing Link won best animated and Brad Pitt won for acting which is suprising.

Doing something biographical still wins awards which is unsurprising.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
2020 looks to be a better year for movies. Really looking forward to The Invisible Man. Would be great for a film like that to get a gong if it is as good as I hope it will be.

Suedesi

Once upon a time in Hollywood was such a poor movie. Surprised it was so many awards. Well, maybe not, Hollywood loves some self-congratulatory puff pieces.

Best thing about the show, was no doubt Ricky Gervais!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well at least Toni Collette didn't win for Unbelievable... one of the worst acting performances I've seen for quite some time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Phoenix was good but I do feel it's an overrated peformance.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Glad Ramy Youssef and Olivia Colman won, both well deserved and they just seem incredibly nice.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Coleman does seem like a lovely person, I wasn't a huge fan of her portrayal of the queen but whatever. Glad Pitt won it for OUATIH, though I actually preferred his performance in Ad Astra (a film I enjoyed a lot).

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Phoenix was good but I do feel it's an overrated peformance.
The performance and film just ticks all the boxes for the esteemed film critics, regardless of how good it is. It will get probably get the Oscar as well.

20solskjaer

The performance and film just ticks all the boxes for the esteemed film critics, regardless of how good it is. It will get probably get the Oscar as well.
1917 will win best picture i reckon

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hes a massively underrated actor, has had numerous great performances including

the assassination of jesse james
Seven
Inglorious basterds
Fight club
I don’t think he’s even underrated. He’s viewed as one of the best actors of his generation and has long since broken free from the idea that he gets his roles for his looks. Anyone who suggests otherwise isn’t familiar with his work.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Hes a massively underrated actor, has had numerous great performances including

the assassination of jesse james
Seven
Inglorious basterds
Fight club
I think he's good but his performance in Inglorious was very distracting for me. Felt like he was in a different movie to the rest of the cast for some reason.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think he's good but his performance in Inglorious was very distracting for me. Felt like he was in a different movie to the rest of the cast for some reason.
Weird, currently watching that - I don't feel that way at all, pretty much cos every performance in that film feels that way to an extent.