A bigger legend?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You are missing the point, mate. Cristiano forced his way out of the club and spent his best years elsewhere. He is a legend, but he is a legend of Real Madrid. Cantona, Scholes, and Rooney despite their share of feck ups spent their best years at United. It's really simple. Nobody is saying Ronaldo is not one of the greatest players of all time, or he didn't make us better, but he is a RM legend and it would be pathetic for us to say "us too! us too!" We have enough of our own legit legends.
This makes no sense. So someone is only allowed to be a legend of one club? Does that mean Aberdeen can't claim that Sir Alex is a legend for them?

If Ronaldo left when he was 18 maybe you'd have a point, but he spent 6 years here, then left after being the best player in the league 3 years in a row and being instrumental in us winning one of only three European Cups we've ever won, and after scoring a string of some of the most icononic goals in the club's history. It's really bizarre to belittle that because he went and also did well for a different team.

DoomSlayer

I'm not sure they see it like that
I mean, who else could it be? Apart from Di Stefano, there is literally no player worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo when it comes to Real Madrid history.

I see Ronaldo as an iconic player for our club, just like Beckham, because both left way too early to be called legends.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I mean, who else could it be? Apart from Di Stefano, there is literally no player worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo when it comes to Real Madrid history.

I see Ronaldo as an iconic player for our club, just like Beckham, because both left way too early to be called legends.
Small but important correction: Beckham was kicked out by SAF, Ronaldo forced his exit. Not the same. I am certain Beckham would have finished his career with United if SAF and him didn't get in fight.

To be fair, SAF wasn't quite correct with Beckham. It was none of his business who David was going to marry, and as far as criticism of Beckham's celebrity behavior - I think SAF just overreacted to an early example of what would soon become a norm for mega star footballers. I don't think any of Beckham's behavior got in the way of his performances or loyalties. The eyebrow incident took them to the point of no return, otherwise they may have reconciled their attitudes?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

I agree, but I think they hold Raul, Cassillas and others in higher regard, whereas if he'd stayed his career at United he'd have been revered like Best and Charlton.

As for the other point, I can see your way of thinking. That being said the likes of Law and Schmeichel played for City and they are legends in my eyes. Ronaldo is tricky because of how much he wanted the move to Madrid, but he did enough in his time with us to elevate us.