A comprehensive look-back on Wayne Rooney's career

Eddy_JukeZ

I think more United fans will appreciate him when he hangs it up and you look back on his career.

Definite United legend for me. It's a real shame Rooney got injured vs Bayern in that 1st leg in 2010. Could have won the Premier League that season and went to another CL final.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
His career here's been an interesting one. Considering the hype he came to United with, you could argue that there's an element of disappointment there in that he's probably only had two truly great seasons for the club: 2009/10 and 2011/12. That's not to say he wasn't great in other seasons, but those two are probably the only years where you could argue he was among the top 5 players (performance wise over the season) in the league, and it's also the only two years wherein he passed 20 league goals.

Despite that though, he's been remarkably consistent throughout his United career in that this is quite possibly his first bad season for the club. There have been some underwhelming ones (2010/2011 until he hit form, 2012/2013 for example), but even then he's always hit at least 10 league goals and been important. In the Ronaldo era he provided us with an excellent mix of quality and workrate: he probably suffered a tad with Ronaldo being the far better player, but was still consistently very good during Ronaldo's prime, still scored consistently, and had good seasons overall.

Someone who will go down as a club great, but perhaps fall short of ever being regarded among top 5 United player discussions.

Richard Cranium

Nonsense. Fergie is a ruthless manager and would have sold him without a seconds hesitation if not for the fact that we needed him at that point more than he needed us. Fergie put on a stunning performance in that presser to get him to stay. He could have easily handled it behind the scenes but he managed it spectacularly in that presser.
Ok m8

AR87

Fantastic player. Still think my favorite phase came towards the end of the 2010/11 season when he found form and played tremendously as the support striker behind Hernandez. Had a shocker bar the goal in the CL Final, but he was tremendous in helping us win the PL that season with that masterclass in the 4-2 comeback away to West Ham when we were down 2-0. Could care less about the transfer requests tbh.

phepheshane

I wonder if we're going to persist with him a la Giggs and extend his contract.I still prefer him playing behind the striker than midfield.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
He was ambitious and wanted to leave so many times before.. And we are no second rate club either, wayne. Times up buddy. MLS and china beacons. I hope JoMo see him as an impact sub. He lost his edge. And we should show mercy by letting him go before everyone in united begins to hate him. Thanks buddy, but like all good things, it has to end.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He took an awful lot of penalties in the 11/12 season...

RedStarUnited

Selling Ronaldo and Tevez and replacing them with Obertan, Owen and Valencia was a shocking downgrade. Rooney should not have (privately) questioned the ambition of the club but it's the same thing a lot of fans worried about at that time. Maybe if we'd actually replaced the likes of Ronaldo and Tevez better back then, we'd not find ourselves in the position that we find ourselves in now.
The position where the guy who questioned our ambition is now the reason why anyone would question our ambitions this year.

We should have sold him in 2013.

Tosicsleftpeg

Remember his debut against fenerbache when he scored that hattrick. He was incredible for a time and up till about 2012 he was still a top quality player but his decline has been very fast.