A New Captain

Zoo

If Jones can stay fit and first choice under Mourinho then he could do it. He has been impressing in this run in the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Captains aren't that important, leaders are. If you'd taken the armband off Roy Keane he'd still have been Roy Keane. Similarly, anyone in the squad who is suited to being a captain will currently be one of the leaders anyway, even without the armband.

OohAahMartial

Captains aren't that important, leaders are. If you'd taken the armband off Roy Keane he'd still have been Roy Keane. Similarly, anyone in the squad who is suited to being a captain will currently be one of the leaders anyway, even without the armband.
Agree with this, but we still lack such leaders, and they soon get made Captain anyway.

OohAahMartial

Nobody 'buys' a captain, ffs.
So all Captain's are home grown? I might allow that when Captains are bought they aren't made Captain immediately, but not that some aren't bought partly for their leadership ability. As I said Schweinsteiger and Zlatan were probably partly bought for this reason.

Red_toad

I think your linking Rooney not being very good and our captain and jumping to the fact a captain therefore must be important. "Genuine captains" are just vocal, very good players in their respective teams. Like Ronaldo, why would someone put Ronaldo as captain for Portugal?

Again, Keane didn't get better because he was given the armband, he was always going to improve as he had that attitude. Again, the famous example of the Juve semi-final, was just his performance on the pitch. If he didn't have the armband, he'd of still done it, we all still would of been inspired. I think people just want to join up dots.
I said Rooney was our best player who got the armband, nothing about him not being very good?

People looking to join up dots. Yet you're stating that players who were Captains would have still been the same player regardless. How exactly do you know? Giving certain players extra responsibility can be the making of them.

OohAahMartial

W
DDG seems like another option to Herrera. Regardless, we definitely need someone out on the pitch who can sense when we are not playing well and start rallying the troops. The whole team currently looks lost in the last 20 minutes and if you couldn't see a captains armband, you wouldn't know who was captain on the pitch. I think the Captains role in the current climate of conceding late goals is vital if we are going to stop the rot.
I'm glad someone can see the obvious lack of on field leadership and it's relation to the team throwing away leads.

Chuckazulu

He was the one who needed a Captain to help get him in the right frame of mind! He's not ready for being a Captain yet.
Obviously not right now. Rooney is an ok captain at the moment. Question is, who next and to me Pogba is our best option from what we have now. By the way, even the best captains need help at some point.

Ram1fy

Omg. This is not cricket ffs. Captain doesn't matter.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So all Captain's are home grown? I might allow that when Captains are bought they aren't made Captain immediately, but not that some aren't bought partly for their leadership ability. As I said Schweinsteiger and Zlatan were probably partly bought for this reason.
:houllier:

You don't buy anyone just to be captain. You buy a good player and then based on team dynamics make him captain down the line. Has any team ever been on the market to buy a readymade captain?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I said Rooney was our best player who got the armband, nothing about him not being very good?

People looking to join up dots. Yet you're stating that players who were Captains would have still been the same player regardless. How exactly do you know? Giving certain players extra responsibility can be the making of them.
Sorry, I misread the first bit about Rooney then.

True, but they usually have pedigree before they're given the extra responsibility. I only see the extra responsibility as, now you're captain, you better be consistently good.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
David de Gea is a natural and probably the only option. First name on the team sheet, been here about as long as anyone else not named Carrick or Rooney.

Oo0AahCantona

The armband means fecking nothing, if somebody like Keane or Puyol didn't have the armband, would they be any less of a leader?

OohAahMartial

Obviously not right now. Rooney is an ok captain at the moment. Question is, who next and to me Pogba is our best option from what we have now. By the way, even the best captains need help at some point.
Maybe if he gains consistency and more mental toughness, becoming a big game player too. I don't think we can afford to wait for that.

OohAahMartial

The armband means fecking nothing, if somebody like Keane or Puyol didn't have the armband, would they be any less of a leader?
A good Captain is like a manager on the pitch, able to change tempo or tactic eg. when to press, when to keep ball, when to conserve energy, etc. A designated Captain ensures that others defer to him in this and you don't get every one doing their own thing. Sometimes you will see Carrick or Rooney deliberately slowing the game down, to lessen opposition pressure, or give the team time to recover energy for example. Midfield generals often make the best Captains for this reason, and is one reason I think that goalies don't make the most effective of Captains.

Client6

We don't need ONE new captain. We need more leaders, players who have character and have the fight inside them, who will not panic when on the ropes and who will motivate one another to just absolutely win. Among the newer players, I see very few in the current squad that can be molded into something like that: Herrera, Baily, Smalling (although I think he's not good enough for Mancheser United), Pogba.

When Gary Neville was the club captain and out injured/not in the squad, we had Vidic stand in for him. Or Rio, or Evra, or VDS, or Giggs, or Rooney, even Fletcher and Park! More recently, we had van Persie. All these were captains of their national teams at one point. We always had a significant number of leaders/characters in the teams under Ferguson. Even the Double-Double winning teams had a roster that could pass off for a squad of soldiers.

Post-Ferguson, suddenly every one of those players is out and now we have very few characters/winners left. From what I've heard and read, this is another reason I think Mourinho needs to be given more time - to build a team of winners and fighters.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Valencia would be my preference, assuming Mourinho isn't in the market for a RB.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Captain of the club is not the biggest issue right now. And until Rooney and Carrick leave, the fall out is not worth the hassle.

Nothing stopping Herrera being more vocal. For me he is too timid and not a true first teamer to warrant then role.

OohAahMartial

:houllier:

You don't buy anyone just to be captain. You buy a good player and then based on team dynamics make him captain down the line. Has any team ever been on the market to buy a readymade captain?
Our greatest ever Captain, Bryan Robson OBE, aka Captain Marvel, was Atkinson's Captain at West Brom, who he then bought for us and made Captain. :houllier:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A good Captain is like a manager on the pitch, able to change tempo or tactic eg. when to press, when to keep ball, when to conserve energy, etc. A designated Captain ensures that others defer to him in this and you don't get every one doing their own thing. Sometimes you will see Carrick or Rooney deliberately slowing the game down, to lessen opposition pressure, or give the team time to recover energy for example. Midfield generals often make the best Captains for this reason, and is one reason I think that goalies don't make the most effective of Captains.
They don't defer to one particular player just because he's a captain. They defer to certain players because they are leaders, regardless of whether those players are wearing the armband or not. It just so happens that those leaders are the obvious people to appoint as captain.

If we give the armband to, say, Herrera, it won't change Rooney and Carrick's ability to manage games on the pitch in the slightest. They will still be leaders and other players will still follow them. Just as they won't suddenly start doing everything Herrera says if they weren't listening to him beforehand.

Do you think people never argued with Keane just because he was captain, or stopped listening to the other leaders because they weren't?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Uhm, Ramos, Buffon, Lahm? All leaders, communicative and know how to drive team forward.
Aye, leaders. They would still be leaders if they weren't captain though.

In some clubs the armband goes to the most senior players, regardless of whether they are the dominant personalities on the pitch.

Kag

It's a fecking armband. Leaders emerge regardless.

Plus, it's intangible bollocks, to steal a phrase from the first page. Demonstrating good leadership doesn't necessarily mean running around the pitch with lots of visible passion.

Minimalist

I don't think it helps having such a poorly performing captain, like Rooney was for so long, but I agree, it's not a pressing issue.

izec

Valencia would deserve it. He doesnt shout, but his performances, longevity, experience and his professionalism deserve it though.

Other than that, De Gea? Dont know about him and his future plans, but he is one of our best players if not the best, and highly respected.

Herrera and Jones would be my other 2 choices. Herrera still needs a few years to really settle down and make the midfield his. Same for Jones, needs one or two seasons as a starter at CB with good performances and a good injury record to be considered.

Jib

Herrera, Mata or De Gea captain ? lmao
Why not Martial too ?

Ibra !!!! ( and Pogba when he regains his Juve level..)

Jaybomb

Agree with this. We need more passion and aggression in the Starting 11. Thats why I like seeing the likes of Rojo, Herrera, Rashford, Blind etc on the team sheet. They play for the badge and it's clear to see they don't want to lose.

Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Neville, Evra, Vidic, VDS... those guys BLED United. And we never got suitable replacements for any of them. Maybe Pogba for Scholes but thats about it.

what a mess

Oh wise one please share your thinking on why Zlatan for captains is " bollocks "

He is 1 st name on the teamsheet
Has great relationship with the manager
Has many years of experience at the very top level
Is committed to the cause
Leads by example
Must I list any more ?

CM

Oh wise one please share your thinking on why Zlatan for captains is " bollocks "

He is 1 st name on the teamsheet
Has great relationship with the manager
Has many years of experience at the very top level
Is committed to the cause
Leads by example
Must I list any more ?
I'm more interested in hearing how you thought that was a response to your post.