A New Captain

Gopher Brown

The days of a shouty bastard being captain are over.

Look at the current Premier League captains - the closest thing to that is Mark Noble or John Terry, one of which never gets in the team any more.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The days of a shouty bastard being captain are over.

Look at the current Premier League captains - the closest thing to that is Mark Noble or John Terry, one of which never gets in the team any more.
And he, is god awful.

OohAahMartial

wow, you seriously want us to buy a captain?
Without real leadership on the pitch we won't have the team mentality to win the league again, and I don't see anyone of sufficient calibre in the squad. Our history is full of great Captains and it's no coincidence that our decline comes when we lack one (or whose position in the team is now part-time).

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Pogba is an obvious choice maybe not this year, Phil Jones if he ever stayed fit or Daley Blind for his communication skills?

Camilo

We should buy John Terry. He's like having two captains on the pitch.

What a load of nonsense.. Mata deserves it for me - hard working, high quality, encouraging on and off the pitch I imagine.. Herrera is another possibility, but he's still a little rash, and to be fair has only really been playing consistently for us for a few months.. And if we want to go down the old-school English route, make Jones captain in a couple of years.. Although I'm not sure he's the kind of guy we'd want at captain.. Shouting isn't really leading anymore, that's pretty much been established the world over.

Theatre of Screams

People have short memories.

Wasn't long ago (last match of last season in fact) that people on here were completely grilling and lambasting Herrera when he shirked out of a challenge allowing Bournemouth to score, which meant Lloris was given the Golden Glove award and not De Gea.

Don't think bringing in a player and immediately giving him the arm band is an issue. If he can lead by example on the pitch and elevate the game of the players around him then good, we have too many players contributing absolutely nothing to the team and have had it too easy for too long.

stevoc

Bar PSG has Ibrahimovic been captain at any of his previous clubs?

TheSweeper

I would love Blind as captain; his game style & his reading off the game makes him to be the perfect modern day captain. I'm unsure if Jose regards him as a starter though. Same goes for Jones.

No to Ibrahimovic.

United Pro

How does he look likely to be sold?
Why would Smalling be sold?
I was basing this off Mourinho's comments where he questioned Smalling's resolve. Also, Mourinho looks to want another first team CB and given that Bailly is likely the first choice CB, Smalling will go further down the pecking order. If this were to happen, then it might be best for his own career to move on. Of course, I'm assuming a lot of things and imo we should keep Smalling regardless in the squad, even if this were to happen.

R300k

T A
Will say De Gea. A captain can also be the one inspiring other teammates by his talent, particularly in this case: a save. Even people watching the game through TV could feel excited because of many many unreal unbelievable fantastic moments he did for the team. De Gea has been truly our solid fulcrum for years, been at the club since long enough, raised by SAF himself and now is only club player as no doubt top 3 of the world at his position. So why not

Reactions: Penna

Seveneric

Pogba?

The same player that the concensus on the caf seems to be that he's not capable of lifting the team, but functions well only well the team as a whole is clicking. That's the person who you see as captain material? Okay :lol:

OohAahMartial

Bar PSG has Ibrahimovic been captain at any of his previous clubs?
Not sure but he was Captain for his national team. I guess we do have a few current or former International Captains in Valencia, Mhkitaryan, Schweinsteiger and Ibra, as well as Rooney ofc. Of those Mkhi is the youngest.

We have had Captains from the Academy too in Beckham and Neville, though only when they were more senior players, and atm we only have Lingard and Rashford from the academy regularly getting games for us. I don't know whether they ever captained the reserves or youth teams, of if have the potential to be a Captain in future years but looks a little unlikely, unless Lingard keeps improving and makes a position his own.

OohAahMartial

Will say De Gea. A captain can also be the one inspiring other teammates by his talent, particularly in this case: a save. Even people watching the game through TV could feel excited because of many many unreal unbelievable fantastic moments he did for the team. De Gea has been truly our solid fulcrum for years, been at the club since long enough, raised by SAF himself and now is only club player as no doubt top 3 of the world at his position. So why not
We do have precedent for making goalie Captain and some International sides do, so it seems a potential candidate. Don't think he has ever Captained us yet or been Vice-Captain? Wonder if his prior lack of commitment might be behind this or just because he's too quiet? Tbh I don't think he organises a defense or leads anywhere near as well as Schmeichel did.

stevoc

I was basing this off Mourinho's comments where he questioned Smalling's resolve. Also, Mourinho looks to want another first team CB and given that Bailly is likely the first choice CB, Smalling will go further down the pecking order. If this were to happen, then it might be best for his own career to move on. Of course, I'm assuming a lot of things and imo we should keep Smalling regardless in the squad, even if this were to happen.
Smalling was first choice until is injury as well. If we buy a new centre back it will be to replace others before Smalling.

He's better than Rojo, Jones also and has a better recent injury record, Blind isn't a Centre back and i don't see a long term future for him there under Mourinho. Right now he's probably 5th choice at CB.

stevoc

Not sure but he was Captain for his national team. I guess we do have a few current or former International Captains in Valencia, Mhkitaryan, Schweinsteiger and Ibra, as well as Rooney ofc. Of those Mkhi is the youngest.

We have had Captains from the Academy too in Beckham and Neville, though only when they were more senior players, and atm we only have Lingard and Rashford from the academy regularly getting games for us. I don't know whether they ever captained the reserves or youth teams, of if have the potential to be a Captain in future years but looks a little unlikely, unless Lingard keeps improving and makes a position his own.
From what i can tell Zlatan has never actually been captain at any club he's played. Was a bit surprised so many were suggesting him, never really seen him as a captain type.

SteveW

Jose clearly didn't realise at the time that the injury was serious. He wouldn't hold that against him with hindsight.

Smalling was in the team until he broke his toe so there's nothing to say Jose doesn't rate him very highly. He's probably our best CB.

The BlackGaijin

So it seems majority of us agree it should be Ander Harrera. Good people. I might be wrong, but those who have proposed Zlatan and Pogba because they are big names would probably vote for Kanye and Kim kardashian in an political election.

Ps. We are not buying a captain FFS!.... Actually I wouldnt mind if we got Captain Jack Sparrow for a season.

CG1010

Valencia would be the worst choice of captain ever! One, he is known to wilt under pressure and spot light (when given the #7 shirt, that final against Barca). Two, he isn't exactly a model of excellence. He is quite a limited player, one who can do their jobs efficiently though. Three, he isn't vocal, good at communication.

OohAahMartial

So it seems majority of us agree it should be Ander Harrera. Good people. I might be wrong, but those who have proposed Zlatan and Pogba because they are big names would probably vote for Kanye and Kim kardashian in an political election.

Ps. We are not buying a captain FFS!.... Actually I wouldnt mind if we got Captain Jack Sparrow for a season.
1 Cap Herrera as Manchester United Captain? How the mighty have fallen. I can't see how that will improve this team's mentality. Herrera has too many games where he's invisible. Like his last for example.

Chuckazulu

Let's buy Benedikt Howedes and make him captain. A defender, at 28 and already leading Schalke. I really think it's ridiculous to buy a captain but if you lot want to buy one, then he would be my choice.

If I was coach, I would make Pogba vice captain next season and then make him captain after the World Cup 2018. Not because he is our record signing but because I truly believe he has the right captain qualities.

OohAahMartial

Let's buy Benedikt Howedes and make him captain. A defender, at 28 and already leading Schalke. I really think it's ridiculous to buy a captain but if you lot want to buy one, then he would be my choice.

If I was coach, I would make Pogba vice captain next season and then make him captain after the World Cup 2018. Not because he is our record signing but because I truly believe he has the right captain qualities.
Thank you for being the first person to actually answer the question! :lol: And a very interesting, high quality and versatile choice.

Will only comment on Pogba for Captain when he's older and demonstrated his leadership, consistency, vocality and mental toughness.

SoCross

Can we get a poll?

Out of the current squad, Herrera would probably be my choice for the moment. Looking at this lot, Wayne is still the best choice. If BFS was playing and had a few more years to give, he would be nailed on.

arthurka

Herrera no question.. He is involved in most of the good things happening around the team. Running, passing, pressing, defending, tackling and scoring.. Loves the club, gets what its all about..

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I thought it obvious with our teams mentality issues that a new Captain was necessity so I am slightly amazed that no one has actually answered the question given of who we could buy.

Some are even saying that a Captain is unimportant - I can only presume these are new fans who never watched Robson, Keane and Ince. Or Schmeichel for that matter. Keane was like having SAF on the pitch, verbally demanding high standards from those around him, knowing when to change tempo to calm a team through keep ball, or fire it up with drive and tackles. If Captains weren't important you would simply not have them - I can only assume this has occured due to watching ineffectual Captain performances too much,

Herrera might look a good option but this last game showed he really isn't. The team needed someone to get the team calming down and playing keep ball to steady the nerves, and a rollicking or geeing up of those who were being sloppy in passing.
I don't remember Robbo precisely but Keane and Ince were at the club for a while before they became a Captain. We bought them because they were good players who could grow, we didn't buy them as a captain. This is why the thread is silly. You don't buy captains. A captain must earn the respect of his team-mates and colleagues. You buy players with winning mentalities who may become captain given time.

OohAahMartial

I don't remember Robbo precisely but Keane and Ince were at the club for a while before they became a Captain. We bought them because they were good players who could grow, we didn't buy them as a captain. This is why the thread is silly. You don't buy captains. A captain must earn the respect of his team-mates and colleagues. You buy players with winning mentalities who may become captain given time.
Then you should review the Robbo transfer. But certainly some players are bought partly due to them having leadership ability-Schweinsteiger just recently. Whether they become Captain or not depends on many factors, some quickly becoming so like Cantona and some taking their time. But if you never buy with a view to this in mind you will end up with no good Captain. A bit like us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Then you should review the Robbo transfer. But certainly some players are bought partly due to them having leadership ability-Schweinsteiger just recently. Whether they become Captain or not depends on many factors, some quickly becoming so like Cantona and some taking their time. But if you never buy with a view to this in mind you will end up with no good Captain. A bit like us.
what leadership ability has Schweinsteiger shown, apart from his ability to be unfit? no good having a crocked captain.

why don't we just buy Henderson and be done, he's a good captain la