A positive from tonight?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Okay okay, maybe not humiliating but a difference in class, experience and tactical know-how.

But like I said, underlines what we still need regardless of how well the team has performed recently.

Edit: I had my hopes up given who they were missing and I thought we played shite tbf

Patrick08

Have you watched Manchester United much.
Barcelona had a better team but we beat them.
And on and on. We're better as underdogs
It's never over.
Our quality back then was way greater than now. Also I dont see how we can shut shop away and score 3 goals. We will concede away as well as far as I see it, while without pogba its very very difficult to score 3.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think everyone knows we don't have the best team. We all know this and we all know our weaknesses. The positive that has been is that Solskjaer has gotten a lot of negatives and turned them into something else. It wasn't enough against PSG but the positive is that we gave it a real go.
The way we played the first half. We pressed them and had much of the possession, and seemed to control the game. When we didn't have the ball we dropped deeper and defended well.

Our main tactic of getting goals revolves around Martial, Rashford and Pogba running at unsettled defences. We didn't do this enough, but when we did we caused them real problems. So much that they needed to commit a lot of yellow card offences and should have been pinned back even further if the ref didn't bottle the obvious red card.

We are a good team, but not good enough to carry us through multiple bad decisions. We made our own luck but that wasn't enough because we didn't get that. The quality of PSG coupled with our inexperience, lack of leaders and frustration with going a goal down turned the game upside down. PSG did really good after getting that advantage, and we had no real chance coming back after that with Lukaku, Mata and Sanchez in attack. PSG showed off a bit and we felt outclassed but I think that is very deceiving really. We probably should have won or at least deserved to draw this game if we had a bit more luck, but we didn't and that is fine.

Zimkid

We learned a few things about the team
  • RW is a absolute necessity . Moment opposition locks down the left channel, we're done.
  • Young is not cut out for games of this quality on the RB. We need an RB asap
  • Matic wont take us far. We need someone like Ruben Neves to start the counter quickly.
You make some good points there. The right side is spineless, going forward and even in defense.

To have Young as the main right back reveals something is not right.

We need quality players in RB, RW, DC, MC.

Kag

If it wasn’t what would it take for you to consider it humiliating?
Getting humped for six by a rival. Not losing 2-0 during a game in which we watched a tight first half (neither team had a real shot at goal). Or a game in which we lost two attackers at half time.

Conceding four goals within twenty minutes is humiliating. Being outplayed by West Ham and Brighton is humiliating. Going out of the Cup to MK Dons is humiliating. Our performances against Sevilla last season were humiliating.

Anybody that thinks tonight is on par with abominations like those stated above are off their bloody rocker. We lost 2-0 to one of the best teams in the world for feck sake.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Getting humped for six by a rival. Not losing 2-0 during a game in which we watched a tight first half (neither team had a real shot at goal). Or a game in which we lost two attackers at half time.

Conceding four goals within twenty minutes is humiliating. Being outplayed by West Ham and Brighton is humiliating. Going out of the Cup to MK Dons is humiliating. Our performances against Sevilla last season were humiliating.

Anybody that thinks tonight is on par with abominations like those stated above are off their bloody rocker. We lost 2-0 to one of the best teams in the world for feck sake.
We will have to agree to disagree my friend.

beingshe7don

Positives
----------
Biggest positive that Ole realized that we can't rely on Matic/ Herrera & Pogba alone to run our midfield. We need capable backups especially when one of the trio go missing (injury or suspension). The same goes for our forwards (Martial/ Rashford and Martial). Sanchez, Lukaku and Mata are just not good enough and need to be moved on (especially Sanchez who offers nothing at all) The stage was set for Sanchez to come and grab the opportunity today and he failed to deceive yet again. Young is not a dependable RB and Bailly just isn't good enough..... way too inconsistent and needs to be moved on as well.... Tuanzebe needs to be given a chance..... Greenwood, Chong and Gomes should be moved into the first team.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The ref was shocking but we clearly were outclassed by a team lacking 3 first team players while we were in as good a form as we could have hoped for. Ole has done fantastically well but we of course need quite a lot of quality if we are to seriously challenge for any major titles.

This humiliating defeat and tumescent performance is a stark reminder of that. It won't take 1-2% improvement from the players already here and 1-2 additions, it will take shipping out quite a few players who aren't good enough and bringing in true quality. No matter who the manager is.

For me that's the only positive from tonight.
Your positive from tonight is that the team is full of shit players?

It's not computing for me...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Your positive from tonight is that the team is full of shit players?

It's not computing for me...
Haha. For some reason that conjured up images of Bill Hicks padding himself on the back and saying "gee, ain't life great".

If you read my post you'd know that it was about it being crystal clear that the board need to be ambitious and ruthless in the summer if this "Man Utd belongs at the top spiel" is supposed to mean anything.

RoyH1

I don't think we're as far as some pessimists make us out to be. We're 2,3 top players away from being able to challenge for CL's. But we need to have a transfer strategy that is ambitious and agressive to compete with the Sugardaddy clubs and the Spanish giants.

Bestofthebest

As usual we gave the ball away far too much and too early, sometimes in promising positions. Best example being Lingards pass to Martial when we were two on two.
We do this in a lot of games but get away with it because of the quality of the opposition but this was against a top team with quality players all over the place. The loss of two of our quicker players in a short period of time was disastrous because after that Rashford was isolated.
The positive point is that we were doing OK until the substitutions. But after half time we were under the cosh and conceding two goals in quick succession just made things worse. I cannot be too downhearted about the game because it was a wake up call to the board just how much rebuilding is necessary and this will not be helped by giving no hopers extended contracts. Mediocrity is no substitute for class.

tony54

For me that's the only positive from tonight.[/QUOTE]

And, all you say falls back on Ed and the Glaziers. The Glaziers dont want to be a top euro team, they just want max profits at any cost. We have become another Arsenal. As we all know, we have been crying out desperately for a couple of decent centre halfs since ferdinand and Vidic, FFS its been an eternity. Last summer was a perfect chance for us to get a topcentre defender but we had to watch as all the best defenders went to the top clubs with ambition. Things have got so bad that the top players dont want to come here.

tony54

Thought our gameplan in the 1st half worked quite well. Weren't all their good chances in the 1st half offside? We created a few chances of our counters and they should've had a player sent off beacuse of our counter attacks. He didn't get sent off and we got two players injured which ruined our gameplan. But yeah, we were shit in the 2nd half.

And agree with above, Young sending rat face into the advertising boards was glorious. Shame he didn't need to go off.
I must admit I was pleased when the wimp was pushed off by Young. Naughty I know, but his attitude here was pathetic. But, If you watch the replay, his face was contorted with screwed up'acting' pain as he was falling and I think he had the fall under control but played on it to get Young sent off.

tony54

Well Fred gets a game now in a competition where he has excelled before . So here is hoping he plays out of his skin in the return leg and helps us over the line and into the quarter finals which makes him a crowd favourite .
Would be nice but I just dont think its in him, He's typical of what we have been buying since the Glaziers came here, other top club rejects and not their star players.

hobbers

Positives:

Reminder that the top four and FA cup should be our total focus, not the CL when our squad is miles away from being good enough to compete for it.
Reminder that our defence is still shite. Young and Bailly need upgrading badly.
Reminder that we actually have no strength in depth at all with the forwards, because Mata Lukaku and Sanchez offer nothing to a team that wants to press and wants to be dynamic and rapid in attack. Having those 3 on the bench might look strong were we playing Fifa, but in reality we'd be far better off with Angel Gomes and Greenwood there. All 3 need replacing.

Bola

We are half way through the tie and have a 'clean' 2-0 to recover from, with away goals not working against us.

Also OGS had seen the failure of Mata on the right for the umpteen time and the penny may finally drop

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
'Humiliating' defeat?

Crawl back up your own arse.
It absolutely was humiliating. We were seen as favourites entering the match and managed one shot on target at home. Worse than that we allowed Di Maria to light it up and have his moment of "redemption", the prick.

We carried no threat whatsoever – Even before Martial and Lingard went off they were the better side, not that injuries could possibly be an excuse given we were closer to full strength.

It was a wake up call about this team. That performance was about what was expected when the draw was made with Mourinho, probably even worse and it would have been skewered up and down had it happened back then. There’s a lot of players in this team who either aren’t ready or aren’t good enough for this level. I’ve always been a bit concerned with Martial’s mentality in big games but he still has time, same for Rashford and Shaw who are still very inexperienced in Europe. We do need to be better than this. When Pogba doesn’t get in the game we look pretty lost. Relying on Herrera’s shooting and Young’s crossing is a losing cause nine times out of ten.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Ole would have learned a lot from losing to PSG, than most of the wins we've had so far this season. It highlights where we need upgrading, and where we need, possibly, to change the way we play. Tuchel obviously doubled up on the Pogba/Martial/Shaw axis, denying us any room there, and on Young/Lingard side the defenders were (almost) always covering those runs forward by Rashford and Lingard. If Matic were better defensively, I think we could have utilised Young better, by pushing him more forward. There was not much space anywhere in PSG's half, as they played with effectively 4 CB's and 2 FB's. Would like to see Dalot, Fred and Pereira play instead of Young, Lingard and Pogba for the return fixture, and play a 4-4-2, with Pereira the tip of a diamond, Martial and Rashford the two central strikers, and Shaw and Dalot further up the pitch.

Kapardin

Positives- Ole didn't deflect or create unnecessary show to divert attention. We also arrived with an intent to attack unlike Sevilla. It was humiliating in the sense that we were schooled by PSG despite being a big club in name, but not humiliating in the sense that the manager or players didn't try, had no fight etc.

I don't think we're as far as some pessimists make us out to be. We're 2,3 top players away from being able to challenge for CL's. But we need to have a transfer strategy that is ambitious and agressive to compete with the Sugardaddy clubs and the Spanish giants.
We need 2 FBs (Shaw doesn't cut it), a RW and a CB, plus some midfield depth. Not sure we can address all this in one summer, but I hope for a RW, CB and RB at least.

OldPop

Positive is that PSG plays dangerously, especially Veratti, in and around their own box. In front of the home crowd, they certainly feel even safer and it gives us a chance to make use of such a mistake.

One goal due to carelessness and a frustrated Veratti that gets red card is no impossibility and can change a lot. Also positive is that there is no longer anything to lose, it can get the players and the coach to dare more and take more chances.

We will need luck and a better football referee, but more strange things have happened before. In any case, I hope that Ole and the players believe in it.

crossy1686

career ending
You learn more from a loss than you do a 4-0 win. We have the right manager and staff to know how to respond to something like this. Only issue is there isn't a lot we can do about it until the transfer window opens in the summer. I fear we could be on the end of another couple of these before the season is out. Thank god no one with any actual influence will judge Solskjaer on these games though.

buchansleftleg

We have confirmation that Sanchez and Lukaku need to be moved on.

Hopefully we have finally learned the lesson that buying the shiniest toy doesn't matter if they don't fit your system or have questionable motivation.

We have confirmation that the club needs to invest in other key areas also. This time they can't hide behind the actions of a narcissistic manager. Ole has got the best our of the team and for a limited period we were competitive.

Also Ole managed to deal with the aftermath of a defeat without coming across as a massive thunderc*nt unlike the previous manager.

RedOranje

Sanchez exposed on the biggest stage.Young making Di Maria eat metal.

The need to sign a ready-made world class CB was made very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

lex talionis

I'm not sure we learned a whole lot. We already we knew we need a few upgrades in the summer and we already knew that some of younger players like Rashford, Martial and Lindelof need experience and improvement.

I'd also like to see us, someday, improve our set piece defending. I can't remember how many goals we conceded from set pieces under Ole but under Mourinho and Van Gaal our set piece defending was appalling.

This PSG side looks pretty phenomenal, even without Neymar and Cavani. A future Balon d'Or winner in Mbappe was undefendable. You'd have to consider them as a favorite to win the CL trophy. So in light of a squad that was reeling two months ago to hold PSG to a 0-2 is actually pretty remarkable.

Onward and upward.

Andy87

Positive: Pogba to be forcefully rested for the more achievable targets :)

LeftyBlaster

Provided confirmation that we need to spend. And heavily. It also highlighted the people stealing a living at the club and the ones who need to be moved on.

Young
Mata
Sanchez all need to go. We need someone to take over Matic. And a proper right winger.

Josh 76

You learn more from a loss than you do a 4-0 win. We have the right manager and staff to know how to respond to something like this. Only issue is there isn't a lot we can do about it until the transfer window opens in the summer. I fear we could be on the end of another couple of these before the season is out. Thank god no one with any actual influence will judge Solskjaer on these games though.
Maybe I should be writing this post in 'weird feelings in football' , but is it me over thinking it, or do Utd always seem to struggle to sign players without any drama, yet other clubs seem to get it done and dusted without as much stress and crap.
You will get City and Liverpool announcing their new signings a couple of weeks after the season finishes, and we will still be in Redcafe still debating who should we sign in August. So fecking frustrating.

youmeletsfly

We lost, but it should be understandable for most of us. 2 simple reasons:

- PSG have much higher quality and depth
- this is the first time this generation of players really goes head to head against an EU giant in the UCL

People expecting us to trash them just because we had an amazing run in the EPL and they missed 2 players expect too much.