A Rashford Reminder!

Eoin McMahon

Said I'd go against the norm and write a positive thread on Marcus Rashford.
It's funny how opinion can change from one extreme to the other. So in light of this recent Rashford roasts I thought Id remind people who Rashford is.

It's been a crazy journey already and its only really at the beginning. when he first came on the scene what stood out most was his awareness and his finishing ability which is rare to find as developed in a 17 year old playing his first few games for the first team.

Rashford finished his debut season as the main striker and displayed all the skill and attributes needed to become a world class ST.
Naturally the hype and the frenzy calms down and 3 years on Rashford is still at United and is now the mainstriker.

Now he hasn't continued his progress at the rocket speed he did before but that doesn't mean he hasn't stopped working hard, quite the opposite he has made huge strides on his physicality and his technique has improved and setpieces aswell but people don't care about that because he posted something on social media the same day and for some reason thats something that offends fans, sad really.
However that natural goalscoring ability has been neglected or replaced and if seems to be to be the only thing stopping him from becoming one of the best in the league.

Marcus Rashford is a young local lad that is living his dream of playing Man United. He's 21 years old and his career is only at the beginning. and he loves the club, love the city and us fans.
Football players are human too and he 's a young man that going to get better and better with time and maybe we should try encouraging and cheering him on because i believe in him and he wont let us down.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Manchester United is not the make a wish foundation to make every local kid's dreams come true regardless of ability and performance level.

red4ever 79

I feel all fuzzy and warm after that. Please let me know where I can send my donation to the make Rashy's dreams come true charity

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Said I'd go against the norm and write a positive thread on Marcus Rashford.
Manchester United is not the make a wish foundation to make every local kid's dreams come true regardless of ability and performance level.
I feel all fuzzy and warm after that. Please let me know where I can send my donation to the make Rashy's dreams come true charity
Young local lad, living the dream, etc...

Alright.
:lol:

This won't end well.

Rafaeldagold

The way he takes all dangerous free kicks & always always ruins them really annoys me.

How is Ole allowing him to take them?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are you sure about that?

Ole as manager, Carrick as assistant manager, Rashy as a first team striker, Butt as head of youths.

Scotty McT

I like Rashford. Hopefully he can still make the 23 man squad when we decide to take competing for league titles seriously.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I think he’s been one of our best players since his debut and the expectations from him (which are partly justified due to his mental contract) are a bit unfair, he isn’t a Rooney/Mbappe level talent, never was, but he’s going to be a very good player for us.

devilish

I like Rashford. Hopefully he can still make the 23 man squad when we decide to take competing for league titles seriously.
He will. He's a decent talent who can play as a striker + as a winger. However he's not first team level.

devilish

Butts actually done well has hr not?
well have we won a youth league under him? Irrespective of that, he took the job despite being highly inexperienced.

TBF according to wiki

"In July 2019, Manchester United restructured their backroom staff, making Butt the head of first-team development, reporting directly to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær to help improve the transition for young players from the youth team to the first team. Nick Cox replaced Butt as head of the academy." That does sound like a kick upstairs to a non existent type of job.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Under right coaching, he can be deadly. I see him as a Mane type of player who will go couple of levels up in the right system.

Let's put this way, place him instead of Mane in that Liverpool line up and he will do much better than how he is doing now. Of course, you might not get Mane output but then he is only 21.

He should be coming as a substitute . The fact that we are dependent on him to win us matches shows how badly we are run . That's not his problem.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Inappropriate joke
He's a key player who should be a squad player, much like Lingard is a squad player who should be taken out back and shot.

Based Adnan

This is his 5th season of pro football and he has over 200 games for club and country. In that time he has shown extremely limited progression in his deficiencies such as finishing, dribbling and decision making. At some point it's time to call a spade a spade. How he got given a 200k a week contract I will never understand.

Scotty McT

He will. He's a decent talent who can play as a striker + as a winger. However he's not first team level.
It was tongue in cheek, but I doubt he'd have made the bench in 99 or 08. I put him on a similar standing as Dan James. Neither are cut out to be starting every week, but their pace elevates the rest of their talent to such a level that they'll always have a place in the squad. Well, until their pace goes.

Nickelodeon

Rashford should've been the guy who would put pressure on the senior team members that he's breathing down their necks to win a first team place. (See the Jesus and Aguero paradigm as a case in point)

In a worse scenario, he would be a first team player supporting the teams goal tally.

In the horror show that is happening right now, he is the guy who we are depending on to be our chief goal scorer.

Had his development been handled in a way it should've been, we would all see the positives. Now's not that time unfortunately.

Reactions: jojojo

romufc

The only thing that gives me hope.

He is 21. If anyone remembers Sterling at that age was getting criticised etc and all of a sudden maturity kicked in, along with Pep and now he is a very good goal scorer.

devilish

It was tongue in cheek, but I doubt he'd have made the bench in 99 or 08. I put him on a similar standing as Dan James. Neither are cut out to be starting every week, but their pace elevates the rest of their talent to such a level that they'll always have a place in the squad. Well, until their pace goes.
Well Sir Alex had a knack with utilising average players successfully. Rashy is not WC but he's certainly better then the likes of Cleverley, Oshea and Phil Nev.

red4ever 79

Under right coaching, he can be deadly. I see him as a Mane type of player who will go couple of levels up in the right system.

Let's put this way, place him instead of Mane in that Liverpool line up and he will do much better than how he is doing now. Of course, you might not get Mane output but then he is only 21.

He should be coming as a substitute . The fact that we are dependent on him to win us matches shows how badly we are run . That's not his problem.
Fully agree with your 3rd sentence, he should be a sub who comes on to replace the main man.

Enigma_87

You know who
He needs coaching, patience and guidance. He has a talent obviously. Of course he's not ready to lead a team in transition or crisis if you want.

His goalscoring/assist output isn't bad for someone his age, despite being 4-5 years already playing at senior level. At his age not many, if at all, were consistent enough to be judged as a key players for top teams.

Heinzesight

I get the OP’s positivity but the guy has not progressed and looks frustrated out there. Also, I’ve not seen much stick for his social media posts...yeah, he dresses like a proper, proper dick but it’s Jessparagus not Beanz that gets the deserved criticism for online wankfoolery.

I thought he’d be class for us but if anything he has stagnated and I’m gutted.

He’s probably best as an impact sub. He can do his knock and run against tired legs.

mav_9me

I think he is a very good raw young player. With luck he will get good coaching that will take his game up a couple of levels or with age and experience that will happen. Sadly I think the state we are in that's not going to happen.

I love his attitude though. Definitely one of those who keeps trying no matter what. It's the attitude that makes me most hopeful about him.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Im with you @Eoin McMahon - was arguing his case on the podcast this week

he's taking a lot stick at the moment, some of it deserved as hes not been in the best form but much of it is way OTT for a player who is still developing and even out of form has scored 3 important goals this season

Scotty McT

Well Sir Alex had a knack with utilising average players successfully. Rashy is certainly better then the likes of Cleverley, Oshea and Phil Nev.
But he also had a knack of having extremely intelligent forward players in his great squads. Look at the footballing intelligence of a Cole, Yorke Sheringham or Ole, not to mention Ronaldo, Rooney Tevez and Berbatov.

We still don't really know if Rashford is a striker or a winger. I remember being disappointed that we were playing Ole as a winger for a season or two, but he was levels above Rashford as one.

Renegade

Where’s the reminder that he is one of our highest paid players?

UpWithRivers

He has the ability but he doesn’t have the intelligence. You can say he’s a young player but this is his fifth season. That makes him more senior. He hasn’t progressed in all that time and he still doesn’t know his best position. He thinks he should be a striker but cant prove it. He needs to realize he is not a striker and become a goal scoring wide player ala sterling, Mane etc. Sterling was terrible at missing opportunities. Still is. But he has listened to the manager and learnt his trade. He knows when and where to move and how to find space. He is an intelligent footballer. Rashford just keeps banging his head against a brick wall. Just see his free kicks. He thinks he’s Ronaldo or someone. Let it go already. You could say that Klopp and Guardiola are the reason why these players have progressed but Rashford has had top managers and coaches surely one of them should have given him the right advice. He's a top player but he is running out of time - he cant keep playing the Im a young player card forever.

Eoin McMahon

Here is Marcus Make a Wish Video, filmed from The Theatre of Dreams
Here's some goals ye probably forgot about after ye seen his last Instagram post.

0.26-0.34 Two goals against Arsenal PL debut
0.50- 1.02 Winning goal against PL champions City
3.20-3.35 Goal against Chelsea
6.00- 6.15 Goal against City
And my personal favorite 6.19- 6.45 Scoring 2 goals against Liverpool

Decomposing In Paris

I see plenty of positives. I'm old enough to remember people discussing if a 21 year old Ryan Giggs was past his peak. He was my favourite player, so I was a bit shocked at the time. I'm not convinced Rashford is a #9 (I think Martial is much more complete in that role) but he's a dangerous, if not yet reliable 21 year old.

People moan if our players sign contracts, and oddly believe the figures quoted in the press. Then they moan when we don't give our better players new contracts. Let's have a round of applause for people, the peak of the evolutionary pyramid.

van Nistelrooy

Exactly.

"he wont let us down" - With every golden chance wasted or free-kick blazed over, he is letting us down. How many chances does he deserve? Not many more.

Castia

He's paid like a ready made world class striker, that's what annoys me. I think he's paid more than the likes of Kane, Mane, Salah etc its ridiculous.

He's not a striker, he hasn't got the killer instinct you need inside the box and will never get the goals required to play for a top 4 level side.

He needs to be playing off the left, his main attribute is his speed and dribbling he's not even making runs playing through the middle without the ball.

Lentwood

The club have made a rod for his own back though by giving him such a ludicrous contract

By paying him that much, fans expect 20+ PL goals a season.
By paying him that much, we rule out ever using him as a bit-part squad player.
By paying him that much, we rule out anybody ever buying him

So see the problem. Either he has to improve his output dramatically or we're stuck with a £250K a week squad player

Green_Red

I feel sorry for him really. He is a young guy that is leading the line for Manchester United. Really he should be an understudy to a mature proven striker. Who does he have to look up to in the current squad? In the old days we had Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, all players whose reputation for working hard and applying themselves in training is legendary. Other players of lesser ability took lessons from them and bridged the gap with application when their ability should have seen them spend their careers as mid-table fodder. That's what we're lacking. Unfortunately for Rashford and some of our other current squad they are taking the flack for what is actually a lack of quality in actual senior players.