Books A Song of Ice and Fire (Books) | TV show? What TV show?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Who the feck decided to tie it back to the ringing of the bells? Dany goes mad, but she's not mad enough as she has to wait for the bells to ring so that she knows for sure that the people have surrendered before she completely goes berserk. At the very fecking least, if she's gone mad, let her destroy wantonly. don't have sitting on a ledge waiting for the people to surrender before taking it out.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Everyone seen this before?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
@2cents Aye, been going around for a while - it's interesting how even though it's changed massively a lot of the initial outline is still largely there. Jaime has essentially split into two characters with the version described above being closer to Cersei. Catelyn still dies but in a different way etc. The parts about Bran are interesting - they largely ditched the more fantastical elements of the show for the most part so I imagine his powers will be much more important in the books.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
:lol: that outline sounds like shit
Aye it needed some major reworking. The Jon/Arya/Tyrion stuff sounds especially cringe-inducing but I presume Arya would've been aged up a lot in his initial outline.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's nuts that the sixth book was originally supposed to be the second :lol:
If you look at it from the perspective that the story he intends to tell in the sixth book largely is the one that would've been the second, with Daenerys invading Westeros etc, then he's arguably just finished the first act of his three act series. Which you'd imagine makes finishing the books all the more difficult.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If you look at it from the perspective that the story he intends to tell in the sixth book largely is the one that would've been the second, with Daenerys invading Westeros etc, then he's arguably just finished the first act of his three act series. Which you'd imagine makes finishing the books all the more difficult.
Plus the fact that there's almost zero mention in there of what happens beyond the books we've already got. He clearly hadn't and probably still hasn't a clue how to end them.

Art Vandelay

Aye it needed some major reworking. The Jon/Arya/Tyrion stuff sounds especially cringe-inducing but I presume Arya would've been aged up a lot in his initial outline.
I think there's supposed to be a time skip of at least 5 years in that initial outline. So depending on how long it took to get to that point, how long the skip was for and how long afterwards Tyrion met her it might work out fine.

2cents

Scout
Part one: Stark-Lannister war

Intended five year gap

Part Two: Dothraki Invasion

Part Three: Others’ Invasion

Yep, given the first three books comprise the war and the last two books supposedly filled in the Five Year Gap idea, he’s only beginning the intended second part. Of course hopefully he’s diverged considerably from that original outline. If not then no chance it ever gets finished.

Irwin99

It's been a few years since I read the books but is Jaime finally giving up on Cersei when he burns the letter from her asking for help? Or are there hints he will go back to her eventually? I mostly remember his disgust towards her when he learns about Lancel and her other partners. Tyrion's parting speech to him was brutal

2cents

Scout
It's been a few years since I read the books but is Jaime finally giving up on Cersei when he burns the letter from her asking for help? Or are there hints he will go back to her eventually? I mostly remember his disgust towards her when he learns about Lancel and her other partners. Tyrion's parting speech to him was brutal
No hints of him going back, it seems he's pretty much done with her. And given he's off for an adventure with Brienne and Stoneheart, it's clear his story is going to play out very differently.

ChaddyP

feck GRRM for agreeing to the TV series, being a lazy bastard and ruining a great story.
I have a feeling it never was a fecking story. It was just this grand universe in his head that he created and decided to share with us. Its probably why he cant finish the books. Its just too much detail. Even JKR had to leave shit out that she conjoured up just to stick to a storyline.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You guys worrying about the length of the books in comparison to the outline you don't realize volume 3 was always supposed to be the following 2 lines after 20+ years of build up, it goes like this

And the others descended finally from the north and landed at winterfell. After many years of preperation Jon shouted at a dragon for no real reason whilst Bran piloted some birds in the dark, ignoring the battle completely because what use is magic in a great war. Then straight out of nowhere Arya stabbed one of the others and all the rest of them exploded.

fishfingers15

You guys worrying about the length of the books in comparison to the outline you don't realize volume 3 was always supposed to be the following 2 lines after 20+ years of build up, it goes like this

And the others descended finally from the north and landed at winterfell. After many years of preperation Jon shouted at a dragon for no real reason whilst Bran piloted some birds in the dark, ignoring the battle completely because what use is magic in a great war. Then straight out of nowhere Arya stabbed one of the others and all the rest of them exploded.
We say, 'Not today'

fishfingers15

After all the Azor Ahai/PtwP/Valonqar/Forest Witch/Asshai/Three Eyed Raven prophecies that are not fulfiled, why does people expect green eyes blue eyes prophecies to come true?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
After all the Azor Ahai/PtwP/Valonqar/Forest Witch/Asshai/Three Eyed Raven prophecies that are not fulfiled, why does people expect green eyes blue eyes prophecies to come true?
Arya is clearly the prince that was promised.

Once Rob is crowned king, his siblings become prince and princess. And as Maester Aemon says in valyrion language the word for prince is gender neutral. Plus in the last episode we saw Arya rise up after burning of kings landing, there was smoke and salt(from the tears of people who lost their loved ones in KL when Dany burned the city down), so she is born among smoke and salt.

What more evidence do you require?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
At this point it's more likely there will never be any importance to the azor ahai business in the show.

ManRed

If that was the outline of the books I am glad we didnt go down the road. Watching a triangle of Arya, Jon and Tryion would be cringing. Also would not get moments like red wedding and joffery murder. Having said that GRRM should have played a bigger part in writing the end of the series.

Revan

Assumptionman
I mean, it's still insane to think it's true. It's not like an actor is any less likely to be full of shit.
It is obviously insane, but it came from an actor who actually knows GRRM and played in GoT. It wasn't like an internet rumour.

fishfingers15

Arya is clearly the prince that was promised.

Once Rob is crowned king, his siblings become prince and princess. And as Maester Aemon says in valyrion language the word for prince is gender neutral. Plus in the last episode we saw Arya rise up after burning of kings landing, there was smoke and salt(from the tears of people who lost their loved ones in KL when Dany burned the city down), so she is born among smoke and salt.

What more evidence do you require?
:lol::keano:

Good man

Smores

I was thinking the other day, can Jon burn? Is there evidence either way.