A woman managing a Premier League side?

FujiVice

Will it happened in the next 25 years? You'd think so, but this is football. Where there still hasnt been an active gay footballer come out in the Premier League yet. We arent the most forward thinking of leagues. You look at Emma Hayes, a successful take no shit coach, would she really be worse than some of the managers who get a chance to manage in our league?

Skills

Snitch
I think it'll definitely happen in the next 5-10 years but I reckon it'll be a PR stunt by some club. Long term though, I think you'll see more and more of them (and due to merit) - but I think we're some way off.

Oranges038

More chance of it happening than Ole getting another premier league job.Am I rioght?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You have women as assistant and position coaches in the NFL (and NBA i believe..(?)). It is hopefully only a matter of time.

Skills

Snitch
I think one of the challenges at the moment will be, that the men's game is actually stacked full of talented coaches. I don't think the pool has ever been as deep or competitive, so it'll be even harder break through at the moment

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You have women as assistant and position coaches in the NFL (and NBA i believe..(?)). It is hopefully only a matter of time.
There are currently 7 female assistant coaches in the NBA, still waiting for the first head coach.

Sviken

Wishful thinking. Football is a man's game. It's not nice thing to say, but you think 11 young men, full of testosterone and what not, are going to listen to a woman telling them what to do and how to play? I just don't see it happening

Leanshig

Footballers are moslty immature, pampered overgrown children. The idea is nice but it would never work.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Wishful thinking. Football is a man's game. It's not nice thing to say, but you think 11 young men, full of testosterone and what not, are going to listen to a woman telling them what to do and how to play? I just don't see it happening
This is nonsense. Have you never heard of women bosses in other walks of life? I used to have abut 30 men in my department, I didn't have a problem with them not listening to me.

The women's professional game will continue to grow and in time there will be candidates for jobs at the top of the men's game. It's a catch-up situation.

CallyRed

Get them involved in the youth set ups, the earlier the better so it becomes the norm for younger players coming through.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There are women who captain large fishing vessels filled with scrappy dudes. This notion that men wont listen to women is absolute nonsense.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
If she (whoever she might be) is good enough then yes. If not then no.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yeah, I think it'll happen. I think women managers could potentially have an advantage in the men's game as contrary to what's being stated in here young men are more likely to do what they're told by a woman than a man.

Sviken

This is nonsense. Have you never heard of women bosses in other walks of life? I used to have abut 30 men in my department, I didn't have a problem with them not listening to me.

The women's professional game will continue to grow and in time there will be candidates for jobs at the top of the men's game. It's a catch-up situation.
Football is different, though. You're dealing with a squad of rich prima donnas, not an office of guys just trying to live their life. As such you need a heavy authority figure. Virtually all the successful managers like SAF, Guardiola, Zidane, Cryuff, Sacchi, etc are people that your average player wants to emulate or at least respects to a large degree like Mourinho (at least when he was still good). Hey, I might be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if I am. We'll see.
Except it’s not. It’s a sport for everyone.
Sure. But you have a clear distinction between men's football and women's football. You don't have men and women playing in the same team, nor do you have men and women playing in the same "sphere", so to speak. It's quite segregated.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If NFL and NBA players listen to their female coaches then footballers will surely figure it out.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Maybe, but I'm struggling to see too many pathways in.

If she were to come straight from being successful coaching in the women's game there'd be reservations due to her not handling athletes/clubs anywhere near the same profile or worth the same amount. Then there's differences between the men's and women's game on the pitch too that she'd have to deal with. Maybe someone would take that gamble but it would be a big one.

Working her way up through the ranks in the men's game? Difficult considering the budgets and she'd face a lot of the same problems that English managers have when trying to get a gig in the league. The league is so wealthy that it can largely take it's pick of managers with proven track records of performing, winning things or both in other countries. Unless she comes from overseas too, first proving herself in the German league for example then that's going to be really difficult.

Ixion

It will definitely happen. If for no other reason than some billionaire owner will appoint one for the publicity (but ideally it would be because there is a genuine stand-out candidate that deserves a shot).

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It'll happen but when is anyones guess. Additionally, I'll add that I don't see men really having an issue with women being in charge of a team. It happens in plenty of other walks of life for this not to be a culture shock. For sure, there may be a few players that may act out of turn initially but that sort of thing always happens and is more to do with their own issues/upbringing.

BootsyCollins

They would (not just) had to prove them self much more than a man on their way up to even be considered as a head coach for a PL team, so i think when the it happens the players would have no problem with it.

When, i dont know, but i am pretty sure it will happen in the timeframe OP gives.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
not in my lifetime. whilst there is no anatomical reason why a women could not be a football manager, they lack the ability to be able to speak in football cliches at the required level. karen carney is the closest i’ve witnessed but she only registers a 3.2 on the venables verbosity variant.

tomaldinho1

Football is different, though. You're dealing with a squad of rich prima donnas, not an office of guys just trying to live their life. As such you need a heavy authority figure. Virtually all the successful managers like SAF, Guardiola, Zidane, Cryuff, Sacchi, etc are people that your average player wants to emulate or at least respects to a large degree like Mourinho (at least when he was still good). Hey, I might be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if I am. We'll see.

Sure. But you have a clear distinction between men's football and women's football. You don't have men and women playing in the same team, nor do you have men and women playing in the same "sphere", so to speak. It's quite segregated.
As bad as it is, you’re probably right. Society needs to change before this works - imagine the amount of crap a female coach would get as soon as any results went south. Women still don’t have equal pay, maternity rules and workplace stigma about pregnancies are terrible in the corporate world, there’d be a constant undercurrent of them having never played to the highest level and pundits probably saying they don’t understand the ‘men’s game’ to generate clicks.

It should work but I don’t think we’ll see it, which is quite sad to write.

Ixion

You have to keep in mind the players that are coming through now are seeing female referees, pundits, physios and Women's Football being given a much larger platform and opportunity. We have had our first openly gay footballer and that will become more and more common over the next few years. The kids that will come through in 10 years time, 20 years, will simply see all of this as normal (as it should be) and not have any issues listening to a woman manager or being teammates with someone regardless of sexual orientation or race because they will not have any preconceived notions that it''s unusual. Once the players are happy to accept it it is inevitable.

pascell

Stone age way of thinking.

There's plenty of women in the men's football game at all levels such as physio and officiating.

Banat

Really can't see it in top level football, some lower divisions maybe.
Simply women football will never be on man's level and as popular as is voleyball or basketball, therefore I can't see some woman to appear and be better than average man manager.

ThatDutchPerson

Supports
FC Groningen
If she (whoever she might be) is good enough then yes. If not then no.
That’s the thing about inequality though: women are always fighting this arbitrary line of “being good enough” to even get the positions, followed by the pressure to immediately succeed or else be judged as a failure. (That then impacts all future women wanting the jobs)

There are hundreds of male coaches in professional football, across dozens of countries, and they don’t have to meet this criteria of “being good enough”. They just get to go ahead and try and be sacked if the results aren’t up to par. Some even get sacked on a consistent basis and still get job after job. And not once has anyone asked the question “are male coaches good enough”, let alone does a sacking carry the weight of the future of women coaches with it.

Someone like Emma Hayes or Sarina Wiegman deserves to be in contention for jobs based on their experience and achievements in women’s football imo, and I’d love to see it happen.

I think it’s less of an issue of “are they ready and capable” and more an issue of “are (male) supporters able to change sexist views and behaviors that have been ingrained into them by society.”

Reactions: Jippy

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Really can't see it in top level football, some lower divisions maybe.
Simply women football will never be on man's level and as popular as is voleyball or basketball, therefore I can't see some woman to appear and be better than average man manager.
:confused:

There's men never never played football at a high level and still became competent coaches.

fergosaurus

25 years ago the idea of a female refereeing in the EFL would have seemed far-fetched. We've also had a woman as assistant ref in the PL which again would have been unthinkable at one stage. I can see it happening in the future but we're probably a fair bit away unfortunately.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Why not if, if they've the ability to do the job. Same as in all other industries. Just need to have the will to learn the game. Start in small club and work their way up. Like Tuchel or Mourinho.

Much more likely than a women playing in the premier league, sexual dimorphism puts them at a disadvantage generally. Hard to get over it given the level of competition to play top level football.

Chipper

Adulterer.
If only that could apply to men too, because to be honest, we did hire Ole.

We did, but how would she satisfactorily prove it to those doing the hiring? Just going back to my pathways in thing.

It gets pointed out that Ole only won the league at Molde. I think a woman has yet to win a men's league of anywhere near that stature, and if one did in the future then it's still "only Norway".

Ole played for us, but would someone who played for the women's team get a shot at coaching the men in the same manner? Not sure that would translate the same way. I'm almost sure it wouldn't.

Not against it by the way, just think it's obviously going to be very hard for an aspiring female manager to actually do it.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think it’ll happen eventually, and it should happen.

One of the challenges is the added bonus of playing in the football in a high league, a lot of these players have a massive advantage at the end of their playing career if they want to go into coaching. While it shouldn’t be the case there’s often a distinction in how top flight women’s football is viewed, so they have an uphill battle. I’m doing my badges through the FAW and they’re making a concerted effort to bring through more women coaches. I actually had the privilege of meeting Jayne Ludlow, someone who’s been involved in football for three decades despite her young age, and has an incredible footballing mind (a long with a very esteemed player career). She currently works at Man City for the female academy as she’s dedicated to improving the women’s side of the game, but she would absolutely thrive coaching a male football team.

Ive met a lot of people doing their badges, and many have professional experience in the lower end of the football pyramid, and it’s very hard to climb it as a manager. There’s also those with no professional experience (men and women) and again this provides an even bigger challenge if they eventually want to manage or coach in the higher leagues.

, therefore I can't see some woman to appear and be better than average man manager.
But why? Someone like Wenger was a mediocre player, the likes of Rodgers had no professional experience. Someone like Mourinho failed as a professional footballer.

Having played professionally at a high level isn’t a prerequisite to become a top manager (though it obviously helps massively with opportunities). I see no reason on merit why a woman couldn’t follow the same path (even though there’ll be massive societal obstacles and prejudice).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's possible but it's a number game and therefore unlikely to happen soon, often and on merit. Black coaches are few and far between despite the fact that they are significantly more present than women in men's Football.