Aaron Lennon | Health issues

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Actually there is some quite substantial evidence to suggest that what we call depression is largely a product of Western lifestyles. 'Depression' as a disease cannot be isolated as a tangible physical problem of the brain in the same way that illnesses of other organs can be. It is a very vague term and while there are often underlying causes related to chemical imbalances, how these problems manifest themselves in human mood obviously relate to social factors. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his post.
Despite much research there's very little evidence that any mental/emotional illness is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, although the pharmaceutical companies are keen to put out a different message for obvious reasons. Some people are helped by medicinal prescriptions - at least in the short-term - and some aren't, but this is not related to cause and more related to suppression of symptoms.

Anyhow, I wish our old Spurs player all the best.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
No need to jump on @Bole Top for displaying a lack of understanding of mental illness.

Calling someone a feckstick and treating them like an idiot is hardly going to incline them to listen and learn further on this subject - and spreading greater awareness of the causes and effects of mental illness is something we should very much work towards.
The topic of depression has become heavily politicized (as with almost everything these days) and it is difficult to have a proper conversation about it because the narrative has already been set and people are not willing to listen to anything that challenges it. The prevailing popular view (that it is a indiscriminate disease that chooses people at random....and that can only be controlled with drugs) is way off the mark, IMO. While there are cases that can be pin pointed to serious brain abnormalities, I believe most cases can be looked at culturally. Posters in this thread have shot down Bole Top by (rightly) suggesting that money can increase the likelihood of depression, but this contradicts their assertions that we should not be interested in Lennon's economic status. If socio-economics plays a role (in whatever direction), then it is right to bring it into the discussion.

Why is it that depression rates are so staggeringly high among the egotistical Hollywood celebrity circle? Or among the pretentious music/art scene? Isn't it quite interesting to consider the lifestyles and the personality traits of these people? But if anyone dares mention words like materialism, narcissism and consumerism alongside depression they would be shot down for being ignorant because it upsets the narrative. The same could be said for anorexia, but let's not even go there.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Despite much research there's very little evidence that any mental/emotional illness is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, although the pharmaceutical companies are keen to put out a different message for obvious reasons. Some people are helped by medicinal prescriptions - at least in the short-term - and some aren't, but this is not related to cause and more related to suppression of symptoms.

Anyhow, I wish our old Spurs player all the best.
I am inclined to agree with you.

Runner

That's really serious, I hope he gets the help he needs.

TheReligion

Abusive
The talk of him never playing football again is very shortsighted and misinformed.

No one actually knows what the diagnosis is or if he's even been placed on a longer section. S136 is an initial power used by the police to detain someone they feel needs an immediate assessment. They are then formally assessed by healthcare professionals and a decision is made to either detain them longer, most common S3 for upto 28 days (I think), offer a voluntary place on a ward or simply release them with a care package at home.

The most serious cases would result in a S3 admission which we know nothing about yet?

Either way wish him well. Everton need to really step up with this as something isn't quite right and they have a duty of care with their staff. Apparently he's not featured since February and was detained half an hour after the match against Chelsea which would suggest he wasn't there.

owlo

The talk of him never playing football again is very shortsighted and misinformed.

No one actually knows what the diagnosis is or if he's even been placed on a longer section. S136 is an initial power used by the police to detain someone they feel needs an immediate assessment. They are then formally assessed by healthcare professionals and a decision is made to either detain them longer, most common S3 for upto 28 days (I think), offer a voluntary place on a ward or simply release them with a care package at home.

The most serious cases would result in a S3 admission which we know nothing about yet?

Either way wish him well. Everton need to really step up with this as something isn't quite right and they have a duty of care with their staff. Apparently he's not featured since February and was detained half an hour after the match against Chelsea which would suggest he wasn't there.
S3 is the 6 month one that requires the social worker and gp etc to sign off on. A consultant can sign off on a 28 day S2. Initial sections to stop people leaving would usually be a 4/5 (doctor/nurse).

As you say though, nobody knows. Storm in a teacup. Hope he's alright and gets better though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
apsolutely loved the guy when he was at Spurs, so good luck to him.

regardless of him, I must admit, though, whenever I hear that random super rich footballer/actor/singer has problems with depression or is just unhappy with life, I can't help but wonder how those people would feel if they were suddenly put in place of common people from countries like Albania or Bulgaria for example.

I know I'm oversimplifying things here, but if you can't enjoy your life with 50 million euros on your bank account, then I really can't imagine how bad would you feel being depressed while also living in poverty and lacking basic needs like good medical care.

Oh dear.

TheReligion

Abusive
S3 is the 6 month one that requires the social worker and gp etc to sign off on. A consultant can sign off on a 28 day S2. Initial sections to stop people leaving would usually be a 4/5 (doctor/nurse).

As you say though, nobody knows. Storm in a teacup. Hope he's alright and gets better though.
Ah thanks yeah that's right.

People jumping to massive conclusions which I fear will only put additional pressure and attach a stigma to the lad he doesn't need.

owlo

Just to add, there's a reason the big investment banks and tech companies hire full time psychologists etc. These people are incredibly driven, and often almost single minded in an aim. They live on the edge and it's easy to fall off it. The standards you place on yourself are incredibly high.

I wouldn't want to speculate about Lennons case, but it's quite possible he feels like a complete failure at life given spurs current position and his lack of play time for Everton. Nobody knows what's going on, and trying to guess it out is pointless.

Celestiale

German media wrote he suffered a severe psychosis, and that would surely be career ending. They said "according to English media..." But so far i couldn't find English media to back it up, so you could be right, let's hope the best.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I wouldn't want to speculate about Lennons case, but it's quite possible he feels like a complete failure at life given spurs current position and his lack of play time for Everton. Nobody knows what's going on, and trying to guess it out is pointless.
This made me chuckle.

Don't want to speculate, speculates, says guessing is pointless :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I don't think he will play football again, he suffered a psychosis. He'll probably get treated with Seroquel or something else with Quetiapin, which will hopefully make him fit for the "everyday" again, but definitely not fit for doing a professional sport.
Where is reporting psychosis? Haven't seen that anywhere. Mind, only go on a handful of sites. From what I read it's a relapse of something previous and it's not long term?

(Some reporter in twatter like so could be bullshit)

owlo

This made me chuckle.

Don't want to speculate, speculates, says guessing is pointless :lol:
Yea I realised the irony but decided to keep it a bit light hearted :) That theory is so far removed from likely reality I thought it'd be obvious :P

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yea I realised the irony but decided to keep it a bit light hearted :) That theory is so far removed from likely reality I thought it'd be obvious :P
I thought that too, but could literally be anything from a bad break up, to a mates death to something deeper. Just hope the lad is ok.

Oaencha

I was never a big fan of Lennon but I wish him all the best. As someone who has suffered badly from depression and mental health for 20+ years, I can appreciate just how destructive it can be. It feels like your body and brain are slowly decaying from the inside. It doesn't matter whether you have £1m or £100 in the bank; it can hit anyone. I hope he gets the right help and makes a quick recovery.

Celestiale

German media wrote he suffered a severe psychosis, and that would surely be career ending. They said "according to English media..." But so far i couldn't find English media to back it up, so you could be right, let's hope the best.
Where is reporting psychosis? Haven't seen that anywhere. Mind, only go on a handful of sites. From what I read it's a relapse of something previous and it's not long term?

(Some reporter in twatter like so could be bullshit)

Verbalkint

Someone should remind him of what he did to Evra.

On a serious note, though i totally hope he makes it out. It's going to take a lot of strength and a good support system, which i am sure he has. Good luck to him!

spwd

Just found the thread after seeing it on sky earlier, poor guy, hope he recovers as much as possible, mental illness is fecking horrible, hopefully everyone around him will help and support him and get the best help available, hope to see you playing again soon Aaron.

Cloud7

Why is it that depression rates are so staggeringly high among the egotistical Hollywood celebrity circle? Or among the pretentious music/art scene? Isn't it quite interesting to consider the lifestyles and the personality traits of these people? But if anyone dares mention words like materialism, narcissism and consumerism alongside depression they would be shot down for being ignorant because it upsets the narrative. The same could be said for anorexia, but let's not even go there.
It's not any higher among those groups than your average person, its simply

A) More publicized so more people will know about it

B) Famous people are more likely to seek treatment. There are loads of average joes who display clear cut signs of depression but don't seek help, be it due to them being unable to afford it, unable to make the lifestyle changes that may be necessary etc.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these filthy rich people in absolutely any aspect of life, with the exception of mental illness. Unless you're a drug abuser and you induce it on yourself, mental illness chooses you, you don't go looking for it.

There is a purported environmental aspect of the etiology of depression, but that is more linked to adverse childhood events, or a recent negative event in your life, such as the loss of a loved one, not necessarily the life of famous person.

spwd

It's not any higher among those groups than your average person, its simply

A) More publicized so more people will know about it

B) Famous people are more likely to seek treatment. There are loads of average joes who display clear cut signs of depression but don't seek help, be it due to them being unable to afford it, unable to make the lifestyle changes that may be necessary etc.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these filthy rich people in absolutely any aspect of life, with the exception of mental illness. Unless you're a drug abuser and you induce it on yourself, mental illness chooses you, you don't go looking for it.

There is a purported environmental aspect of the etiology of depression, but that is more linked to adverse childhood events, or a recent negative event in your life, such as the loss of a loved one, not necessarily the life of famous person.
Very well said sir .

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I only just heard about this. Heard he was found on Stott Lane (which has a relatively high bridge overarching a motorway) acting oddly and then sectioned. I wonder what he was even doing down here? And right by Meadowbrook, coincidence or a cry for help? Really sucks though, I hope he gets well soon.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'd say a lot of people have suffered from depression at some point in their lives, not everyone is willing to admit it though. Mental health is very much neglected in the UK and it's a problem that's going to get bigger and bigger.

Well done Azza btw loved him with us.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Stress related illness. Its quite awful.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Bravo. Here's hoping he'll go onwards and upwards.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'd actually be interested to know the truth behind this. Footballers with mental health issues strikes me like footballers and homosexuality in that there simply has to be more than we're getting the full picture of. I don't understand how depression can be so prevalent in, say, Hollywood actors (similarly immersed in a world of materialism and narcissism) but not in football. There's a few well-known cases (Collymore and, tragically, Robert Enke) but not many too many as far as I'm aware.

Obviously I'm not expecting them to go out of their way to do this but I'm certain people who suffer from mental health issues - of which there are many - would take some solace knowing people they respect and admire are also going through similar issues.

Best of luck to Aaron in his recovery.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'd actually be interested to know the truth behind this. Footballers with mental health issues strikes me like footballers and homosexuality in that there simply has to be more than we're getting the full picture of. I don't understand how depression can be so prevalent in, say, Hollywood actors (similarly immersed in a world of materialism and narcissism) but not in football. There's a few well-known cases (Collymore and, tragically, Robert Enke) but not many too many as far as I'm aware.

Obviously I'm not expecting them to go out of their way to do this but I'm certain people who suffer from mental health issues - of which there are many - would take some solace knowing people they respect and admire are also going through similar issues.

Best of luck to Aaron in his recovery.
I'd imagine there's an awful lot across sports once they've retired and are struggling to replace the hole that not playing has left in their lives.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happy to hear this. Wish him all the best.

And, unless he wants to talk about it, I hope the press don't ask him intrusive questions.