Television Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom on HBO

Cina

It's a very hit and miss show but that was a great episode of TV.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
That was a great episode particularly as it had little involvement of Maggie and the stupid love triangles that float about.

Having said that, I can't believe that realistically only one person's head would roll from all of that. Surely at least Charlie should have been forced out as they essentially on air accused the government of a war crime.

Wittmann45

That was a great episode particularly as it had little involvement of Maggie and the stupid love triangles that float about.

Having said that, I can't believe that realistically only one person's head would roll from all of that. Surely at least Charlie should have been forced out as they essentially on air accused the government of a war crime.
It's all based on 'Operation Tailwind'. A joint CNN and Time report on the operation said gas was used, accusations that turned out to be false. In that case, the two producers of the story were fired, and one senior producer resigned. So maybe it is realistic considering that Jerry was the only producer for the story

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
That was an eye roll worthy episode. That look on Don's face when Charley had another screaming fit is how I feel about the whole Charley character. I honestly can't figure out what he brings to the show. Did he test well in some bizarre focus group or something?

roseguy64

This season's been much better than loast. Mostly due to less of the relationship drama. Been more focus on the season arc and other news stories.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm just about to watch the new ep, but are they going to bother explaining why that General lied about saron gas being used? Unless I dozed off they seem to have glossed over that bit.

Cina

I'm just about to watch the new ep, but are they going to bother explaining why that General lied about saron gas being used? Unless I dozed off they seem to have glossed over that bit.
I assume you know the answer is no now.

Apparently episode 9 is the last because Sorkin cut out an episode, or something.

This show is so hit and miss, episode 7 was great and episode 8 was rubbish, I mean what the feck was with the wikipedia nonsense, why throw that in there? Why have Sloane freaking about about a book signing? Ugh! I reckon if I was an American with an interest in politics and the news that this show would annoy me a lot more. It's just so smug but half of it is lost on me.

EricaNo7

A lot of it is excellent, but some of it is a bit underwhelming .

I've found the same with the West Wing, I'm half way through Series 3 and most of it is excellent but when it is dull, it's dreadful.
( Terrible Shame about Mrs Landingham though )

Cina

I'd say a lot of it is shit and sometimes you get really good stuff midst the stupid relationships, silly characters, dumb plots, condescending, smug tone, cheesy montages etc.

Cina

It was shit.

They need to get Sorkin some help next season. Shambles.

Leg-End

The only thing I took from that finale is the fact Jeff Daniels has a massive fecking head, seriously take a look at it, marvel at it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Did anyone else get a roll of credits halfway through the episode?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The only thing I took from that finale is the fact Jeff Daniels has a massive fecking head, seriously take a look at it, marvel at it.
So true, it really was on display in this eppy. He's a terrific actor yet I can never quite manage to forget he was in Dumb & Dumber everytime I see him on screen - big head but some range was squeezed in there alright

Zen

Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Boardwalk, Girls, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards....plenty of shorter season british stuff too.

I'd say Homeland is on par with it give or take(though it's first season is clearly superior).

Brophs

The One and Only
So much for Will McAvoy's America. Just like its buddy the printed-on-dead-trees newspaper, HBO's The Newsroom is dying. HBO announced today that it has renewed the Aaron Sorkin drama for a third season, and then put a damper on the celebration by also saying that Season 3 will be the series' last. Production on the final season will begin this spring.
I don't know if HBO has a specific reason for canceling the show, but The Newsroom has to be considered a disappointment given all the excitement surrounding the network's initial announcement of the series. The ratings have been marginal, hovering around two million, but HBO generally places more weight on branding and stature and a show's ability to entice new subscribers rather than viewers. And that's probably whereThe Newsroom wrote its walking papers. Despite having the red-hot fresh-off-The-Social-Network Aaron Sorkin as its creator, The Newsroom struggled creatively in its first season and became the butt of many jokes (yet was still talked about come awards time). Improvement in the second season came too late, and now many people seem to be done with the show.
Renewing and canceling shows seems to be a thing in 2014 for HBO. The network will have a fresh look in 2015, as The Newsroom won't be its only drama to say goodbye this year: Last week HBO announced that Boardwalk Empire will air its final season this fall.
http://www.tv.com/shows/the-newsroo...-season-3-the-newsroom-canceled-138964639321/

Brophs

The One and Only
3 mins and 9 seconds into the new season and already it's pissing me off.
She just happened to see the Boston explosion on a feed from Will's office?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've still never watched any of this.

Should I or will it ruin my love for his other work? Some of which I really do love.

Brophs

The One and Only
I've still never watched any of this.

Should I or will it ruin my love for his other work? Some of which I really do love.
Don't.

Honestly there's so much good shit out there that you don't need to.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don't.

Honestly there's so much good shit out there that you don't need to.
Noted.

Not really got anything new to watch at the moment, we're in the process of rewatching a few old favourites.

Anything recent in particular I should give a look?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Needed to be posted again.
This.

This is really really bad. The jury duty scene was cringeworthy. It worked when Toby did it in the West Wing pilot because his job was actually important. Not so much here.
This is the fundamental problem. Sorkin treats everything with the gravity of the West Wing. Except they're literally just one cable news station who aren't really making any important decisions at all. News reporters should be like referees, only noticeable when they're doing it wrong. So treating the competent relaying of second hand information like it's the quest for the holy grail comes off as ridiculously pompous and silly.

Also, mist walking.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Noted.

Not really got anything new to watch at the moment, we're in the process of rewatching a few old favourites.

Anything recent in particular I should give a look?
I rewatched "It's Always Sunny" recently. So good. Other than that Brooklyn Nine Nine is decent. I haven't watched it yet but people are raving about The Affair. I thought The Detectorists, with McKenzie Crook from The Office, which has just finished, was a little gem. About to start watching the second series of Peaky Blinders which I liked. The Blacklist is a fun, easy watch. The League is consistently funny.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I rewatched "It's Always Sunny" recently. So good. Other than that Brooklyn Nine Nine is decent. I haven't watched it yet but people are raving about The Affair. I thought The Detectorists, with McKenzie Crook from The Office, which has just finished, was a little gem. About to start watching the second series of Peaky Blinders which I liked. The Blacklist is a fun, easy watch. The League is consistently funny.
Ive seen about half of Always Sunny, not sure why I never finished it. Love Brooklyn Nine Nine and got about 8 episodes in to The Blacklist before getting a little bored but will probably pick it up again.

I'll give those others a look though, cheers.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Have you seen Legit? It's Jim Jeffries sitcom. It's about the same tone of comedy as Always Sunny, but with more of a dramatic underpinning. Especially in the second season. I enjoyed it.