Television Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom on HBO

Cina

A bit rubbish really.

Maggie encompasses everything that's wrong with the show. The idea that she works in one of the biggest news corporations in the USA is mental. It comes across as such an insanely unprofessional place. I hate her. Kill the bitch.

Thing is, when it does the news aspect, it's rather good, like the first 5-10 minutes, but then everything after that was just melodramatic soap opera shite.

AVARiCE

Maggie is a really weird character in the show. Honestly, I can only think she's going to explode into an amazing, crucial character otherwise I don't see how producers (or whoever it is that cares about money, I don't know!) would sign off on her. Cina nailed it when he said she encompasses everything that's wrong with the show. Her and Neal are just really weird characters that don't fit the rest of the show. You have Charlie, Will, Mac, Sloane and all the other producers talking on this highly intellectual, fast pace and they're weird because sometimes they get it and other times they don't. When it's convenient they're village idiots, when it's not they're unsung heroes. I dislike characters like that.

Overall I've really enjoyed season two, which I feel has proven why it got given such an early commission when S1 looked so terrible. I like how it forces people to think and challenge their thoughts although I do wish they were a bit "fairer" to Republican beliefs. For example, the way that Jim is hounding Romney's bus could just as easily be Obama's bus. I'm a leftie btw, I just dislike things being quite so subtly biased -- a show that's trying to expose Republican/Tea Party ways needs more balance than a faux right-wing protagonist. At least in my opinion, anyway.

So yeah, enjoying season two. Much improved on season one but nowhere near as good as I feel it could be just yet. I, to echo the thoughts from a couple of others here, have no idea why people watch TV shows just to hate them. Seems kinda pathetic -- why not read a good book or something?

Leg-End

I can't stop looking at Maggie's head, its gonna be worse when she gets that hair cut.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Dont like the second season so much, I liked the first one. The opening moments of the first season are still the best so far.

Cina

I enjoyed that episode, overall. It's sort of a case of trying to ignore crap characters (mainly Maggie), which is awful, in order to focus on the main news stuff and Daniels, which is mostly good.

Brophs

The One and Only
Overall the last few episodes have been much better but I really, really, really hated two parts of that episodes: the "we need a huge piece of luck to fall into our laps" moment and the preachy, cliche, Africa storyline 'This is what happens when whitey goes where he has no business to'.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Events being told in retrospect in this sort of series is always insulting to the viewer's intellect, IMHO. It's meant to appeal to the greater issue of apathy in America while implying there are or should be journalists who seek truth and understand the gravity/importance of what they report and the responsibility as a form of checks & balances to government.

I like the premise but the delivery, for me, continues to be indulgent and just seems like another occasion for some to pat themselves on the back and say 'Hey, look, we are critical of government'...long after the fact and in a fictional setting, of course

There are holes here & there yet some amusing exchanges of dialogue. But those moments where they want the viewer to understand how serious some matters are or the news can be complete with the look of shock & awe are pretty contrived, IMHO. I keep waiting for those moments to build up so we can be led to the climax like a kid on a pony for that shock & awe stare - it's West Wing-esque

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Must admit I did have a chuckle when they mentioned Misbah Ul-haq on last week's episode. Shame they clarified it straight away

Saliph

So much weird and random shit on this show.

I like Olivia Munn though. She's weird as well, but at least she's smokin' hot.

Cina

Yeah it was a very good episodes mostly because 90% of it was actually focused on The newsroom and not the shitty side characters. This is what the show should always be like.

Cina

Not as of yet but I will keep you suitably informed if/when it happens.

Brophs

The One and Only
Has he walked through any mist yet?

I leave a boiling kettle beneath my telly every time I watch the show to give it a perpetually misty look. It enhances the experience by at least 47%.

Lastwolf

It's okay turn up drunk at work, if you've recently used a child as a human shield, good to know. I love how she thinks still she has the moral high ground on telling this guy off.

Leg-End

Good episode I thought.

You just know someone is gonna notice the continuity error on the basketball game within the raw footage of the General's interview. We got our very own Scott Templeton moment now.

Stephen Root as the general was great.

twitter thread suggester
Good episode I thought.

You just know someone is gonna notice the continuity error on the basketball game within the raw footage of the General's interview. We got our very own Scott Templeton moment now.

Stephen Root as the general was great.
Yeah it was a bit too obvious when they placed the match in the background.

Brophs

The One and Only
I thought the new episode was excellent, but yet again Emily Mortimer was the weak link.

Wittmann45

There was a point where Jeff Daniels momentarily turned into Harry Dunne in the scene where him and the old guy were discussing the audience numbers from the Genoa show

It was great

Danillaco

I don't get much of the hate on the show, (Ok, Maggie is boring as feck, and ugly too) but apart from that, it's best thing on tv now after Breaking Bad. Really Great, this episode was the best yet, and Leona stole it all in the end. Chuckled with the Daniel Craig jokes, and the "Get it back" in the end was perfect.

feck that Jerry Dantana guy, I hated that cnut's face since he was Christine's brother.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I don't get much of the hate on the show, (Ok, Maggie is boring as feck, and ugly too) but apart from that, it's best thing on tv now after Breaking Bad. Really Great, this episode was the best yet, and Leona stole it all in the end. Chuckled with the Daniel Craig jokes, and the "Get it back" in the end was perfect.

feck that Jerry Dantana guy, I hated that cnut's face since he was Christine's brother.
Watch more tv.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Newsroom is average, but right now there is not much else apart from BB that is better.

dexter is poor again, under the dome is hilariously bad etc...