Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

And this is why you are being rightly mocked. I pointed the fact that his stats make your critique invalid and you respond by whining that I’ve confirmed that it is “almost forbidden” to criticize him. You’re not making an argument, you’re just complaining that people disagree with you.

Have you considered that telling people they have been “deceived” by the performances of someone who has the best defensive stats in Europe might make you look a bit foolish?
You make no sense. I personally rate him high, both from an entertaining pov and as a good defender. If he is the best defender in Europe or even the best football player of all time or not, doesn't change what I wrote.
And you pointing at stats confirm what I wrote, not making it invalid. Or to be honest I don't even think you understand what I wrote, because you are talking about other things.

Also a bit curious which stats you are talking about when you say he has the best defensive stats in Europe?

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The grass is always greener.

People compare him to Robertson and TAA then say he can't attack. He's put in some beautiful crosses that haven't been converted.

Defensively I wouldn't swap him for anybody in the world.

A-man

The grass is always greener.

People compare him to Robertson and TAA then say he can't attack. He's put in some beautiful crosses that haven't been converted.

Defensively I wouldn't swap him for anybody in the world.
Tbh it’s not like the attackers in United are monsters in the air. When Liverpool FBs are hitting all those perfect crosses, there are also players who can head a goal from them.
Liverpool have 10 headed goals in the PL so far this season, compared to 1 headed goal for United.
Last season Liverpool had 19 headed goals and United had 4 (of those 4, two came from Lukaku and one from Sanchez, who are not around anymore. The fourth came from Pogba)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I understood before I wrote my post that it is sensitive and almost forbidden to criticise him. You and a handful others have clearly confirmed this. I didn’t even criticise him, but questioned the evaluation some people made.
Actually you misunderstood the general perceptions, and the response to your criticism. You appointed yourself the studious observer, capable of seeing past the spectacular style and seeing the truth. Many people have different opinions on AWB, and within them there are elements of truth and elements of pure unverifiable opinion. You mistook the latter for a unique insight into something frivolous and people responded to that, primarily, while trying to address the substance of the point.

A-man

Actually you misunderstood the general perceptions, and the response to your criticism. You appointed yourself the studious observer, capable of seeing past the spectacular style and seeing the truth. Many people have different opinions on AWB, and within them there are elements of truth and elements of pure unverifiable opinion. You mistook the latter for a unique insight into something frivolous and people responded to that, primarily, while trying to address the substance of the point.
Not really, it is more or less common knowledge and common sense that we (yes all of us) are coloured by the player's style when we evaulate his performances. What seems to be sensitive is that I put the evaluation of AWB's match against City in this category.

And there is no need be condescending by saying that I "have appointed myself as the studious observer, capable of seeing past the bla bla seeing the truth..bla bla" just because I have an opinion that you don't like .

Last edited:

chromepaxos

And there is no need be condescending by saying that I "have appointed myself as the studious observer, capable of seeing past the bla bla seeing the truth..bla bla" just because I have an opinion that you don't like .
He isn't being condescending. He is simply applying ordinary reading comprehension to your posts. You have at various times said that we have been "deceived" by AWB's playing style (and have implied that you, alone, have not been); that we are "sensitive" because we disagree with you; that we have made it "forbidden" to criticise AWB; and that we only think AWB is good because we haven't watched as much football as you.

And now when someone points out the attitude embodied in your posts you accuse them of being condescending. Nice.

Almost every one of your posts implies that you know more than everyone else. I understand that being a dick may not be your intention. Perhaps reconsider your posting style?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A particular moment in an Arsenal match? Seriously? :lol:
You didn't even visit the link before commenting, did you? It's not a "particular moment" but the whole match there.

Also, you're more than welcome to show a more representative match.

Last edited:

A-man

He isn't being condescending. He is simply applying ordinary reading comprehension to your posts. You have at various times said that we have been "deceived" by AWB's playing style (and have implied that you, alone, have not been); that we are "sensitive" because we disagree with you; that we have made it "forbidden" to criticise AWB; and that we only think AWB is good because we haven't watched as much football as you.

And now when someone points out the attitude embodied in your posts you accuse them of being condescending. Nice.

Almost every one of your posts implies that you know more than everyone else. I understand that being a dick may not be your intention. Perhaps reconsider your posting style?
I don’t understand how you came to that conclusion? And I don’t see how what I wrote is being a dick. In all honesty and without trying to be a dick, I think you are a bit sensitive. I wrote, with some keywords in bold :” I like the guy a lot but also think his spectacular style also makes us overrate him.”

Basically what I write is that a spectacular style makeus being not fully objective. I use “Us” in the normal meaning, where myself is included, because I dont think anybody can be fully objective in an evaluation of a player we love to watch. I don’t claim to be better than anybody else.

The reply from your friend was less humble and without similar keywords as she or he was certain of how things work : “It's his spectacular style of play that distracts you from his other defensive qualities”

I honestly believed everybody knew that we can’t be objective about players we love to watch, but clearly not. You and your friend claim that you stand above this and that you are able to evaluate him in a fully objective way.

And I’m still curious what stats you are referring to when you say he has the best defensive stats inEurope.

thepolice123

You didn't even visit the link before commenting, did you? It's not a "particular moment" but the whole match there.

Also, you're more than welcome to show a more representative match.
I clicked the link and it showed at the point of the match where he hasn't really got the ball under control and tried to beat Sagna.

From a fullback perspective he was definitely good at it and out of all the fullbacks we had the club Evra was the best at dribbling. Its hard to think of someone better. Obviously if I "google good dribblers" any fullback would be a shit dribbler compared to Maradonna, Messi etc.

thepolice123

I understood before I wrote my post that it is sensitive and almost forbidden to criticise him. You and a handful others have clearly confirmed this. I didn’t even criticise him, but questioned the evaluation some people made.

Actually this is not observation that is only valid for AWB but goes for all players. Spectacular players add value to us who watch. This carries over to our evaluation of how good the performance was, and not only in entertainment, but also other areas such as how effective a defender is, how important a midfielder is etc. You can just take a look at yourself who presents AWB as having the “best tackling stats” and even the best defensive stats in Europe. You don’t talk about his performance, but tackling stats.
I honestly don't know what is your issue here. Seems like you just enjoy having the superior view to feed your ego.

A quick read through of this thread will tell you that almost everyone knows his limitations on the ball, even way before we bought him. It was mentioned a few times that he was beaten easily by Sterling but he adjusted and stopped him.

So no, you're not the only one.

criticalanalysis

I like the guy a lot but also think his spectacular style also makes us overrate him. Many remember him as a wall against City and unbeatable. Some even laugh at Sterling when the fact is Sterling dribbled past him and it was very close City took the lead. All together he got dribbled four times. He is awesome at tackles and I love watching him, but there are also other efficient ways to defend.
Again, he was doing great. But it sounds like many people were almost religious about his performance, that it was among the best they have ever seen. Of course I can’t know how much football people have watched, maybe it was the best performance they have ever seen. For me however, it was a great performance, but he still got dribbled 4 times where at least one almost ended up in a goal scoring opportunity, he got run over by Otamendi at the conceded goal, and lost the ball a few times. My hypothesis is that he gets extra cred because the way he plays. It is a very entertaining to watch, compared to someone who just shuts down his flank without the tackles.

Actually this is not observation that is only valid for AWB but goes for all players. Spectacular players add value to us who watch. This carries over to our evaluation of how good the performance was, and not only in entertainment, but also other areas such as how effective a defender is, how important a midfielder is etc. You can just take a look at yourself who presents AWB as having the “best tackling stats” and even the best defensive stats in Europe. You don’t talk about his performance, but tackling stats.
You make fair comments by saying stuff like "I rate him and he got an 8/10 from me" but then you make these grandiose back handed comments like the above. When people call you out on the ridiculous high standards and evaluations that you alone believe, you get defensive.

I'm still trying to figure out where are these 'other efficient ways to defend' and comparisions to 'someone, who can shut down their flank without tackles' like there are many examples of this happening against arguably the best wide player in the league, playing for the 2nd best team, on a massive pitch and in isolated 1-on-1 situations. You'd already made your bed by making it sound like AWB was being inefficiently spectular when the standard you've compared him to doesn't actually exist.

I'm going to be honest and make it relatively personal here but when I read your posts about Linderlof in his performance thread, I can't take half of what you say seriously as you give him every single benefit of the doubt with minimal criticism. Then I go to threads like these and you make these truly bizarre comments. If you were consistent fair enough but your bias is absurd.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I clicked the link and it showed at the point of the match where he hasn't really got the ball under control and tried to beat Sagna.

From a fullback perspective he was definitely good at it and out of all the fullbacks we had the club Evra was the best at dribbling. Its hard to think of someone better. Obviously if I "google good dribblers" any fullback would be a shit dribbler compared to Maradonna, Messi etc.
It shows the whole game at his peak age, and Evra never shown any good dribbling for the whole 90+ min, which is unusual if he's a good dribbler.

Marcelo and Alves are good dibblers. I don't see Evra's dribbling skill was even close to those two. Of course, he's better than the current AWB; but that's not the point.

SoCross

It shows the whole game at his peak age, and Evra never shown any good dribbling for the whole 90+ min, which is unusual if he's a good dribbler.

Marcelo and Alves are good dibblers. I don't see Evra's dribbling skill was even close to those two. Of course, he's better than the current AWB; but that's not the point.
Evra was good with the ball at his feet though. Certainly not a bad dribbler but think he moved the ball via quick one-two touch passes than dribbling it past players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Evra was good with the ball at his feet though. Certainly not a bad dribbler but think he moved the ball via quick one-two touch passes than dribbling it past players.
Exactly. And I think that's the direction AWB could and should learn. There are ways to be good at attacking other than dribbling and crossing.

Denis79

Exactly. And I think that's the direction AWB could and should learn. There are ways to be good at attacking other than dribbling and crossing.
Evra was also great at stretching defences with his runs, also a thing AWB could easily adapt to his game. Bright future ahead, for sure.

thepolice123

How was that unusual? He's a fullback not a winger. And he provided a crucial assist after making one of his trademark runs into the channel. You actually need good touch and dribbling skills to do that.

You just threw out two names of the greatest fullbacks, that is such lazy way to explain things. Alves have almost the exact playing style as Evra. He uses one touch and off the ball runs. He don't usually try to beat his man from a standstill like what Marcelo constantly does.

A-man

I honestly don't know what is your issue here. Seems like you just enjoy having the superior view to feed your ego.

A quick read through of this thread will tell you that almost everyone knows his limitations on the ball, even way before we bought him. It was mentioned a few times that he was beaten easily by Sterling but he adjusted and stopped him.

So no, you're not the only one.
You make fair comments by saying stuff like "I rate him and he got an 8/10 from me" but then you make these grandiose back handed comments like the above. When people call you out on the ridiculous high standards and evaluations that you alone believe, you get defensive.

I'm still trying to figure out where are these 'other efficient ways to defend' and comparisions to 'someone, who can shut down their flank without tackles' like there are many examples of this happening against arguably the best wide player in the league, playing for the 2nd best team, on a massive pitch and in isolated 1-on-1 situations. You'd already made your bed by making it sound like AWB was being inefficiently spectular when the standard you've compared him to doesn't actually exist.

I'm going to be honest and make it relatively personal here but when I read your posts about Linderlof in his performance thread, I can't take half of what you say seriously as you give him every single benefit of the doubt with minimal criticism. Then I go to threads like these and you make these truly bizarre comments. If you were consistent fair enough but your bias is absurd.
Let me rephrase it so nobody gets offended.
I personally rate him high and even think he has been the best United player so far this season. However, I think I am a bit coloured in my opinion, by the fact that he has a very spectacular style and that I love to see a good tackle. If you don’t think that you, me or anybody else could be coloured by a spectacular style, it is totally fine with me.

What you say about Lindelof is proving my point. Just like AWB, he is a player I like a lot. Even though his style is almost the opposite of AWB, I like his way of playing. Of course that influence how I write about him. Could be that I forgive his lack of aggression because I like the rest, just like I was forgiving AWB at Otamendis goal.

The opposite also works (for me at least). Jones is a player that has disappointed me many times, and I think that makes me not see it when he puts in a good performance. Bailly has a style I don’t like, and it could be I don’t value his good performances.

Etc.

thepolice123

I personally rate him high and even think he has been the best United player so far this season. However, I think I am a bit coloured in my opinion, by the fact that he has a very spectacular style and that I love to see a good tackle. If you don’t think that you, me or anybody else could be coloured by a spectacular style, it is totally fine with me.

What you say about Lindelof is proving my point. Just like AWB, he is a player I like a lot. Even though his style is almost the opposite of AWB, I like his way of playing. Of course that influence how I write about him. Could be that I forgive his lack of aggression because I like the rest, just like I was forgiving AWB at Otamendis goal.

The opposite also works (for me at least). Jones is a player that has disappointed me many times, and I think that makes me not see it when he puts in a good performance. Bailly has a style I don’t like, and it could be I don’t value his good performances.

Etc.
I honestly do not know why you are so adamant that people are "blinded" by his spectacular style. AWB's limitations as a player has been called out many times in this thread.

The bizzare thing is that you choose to adopt a false view of the consensus around here so that you can argue about something which many people know and have pointed out. Its tilting at windmills really.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People buying too much into the 'he will learn to attack' talk. It's not his natural game and he might improve marginally, but being very good at it is far-fetched.

Obviously i want myself to be proven wrong.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
People buying too much into the 'he will learn to attack' talk. It's not his natural game and he might improve marginally, but being very good at it is far-fetched.

Obviously i want myself to be proven wrong.
Valencia went from a flying winger with wicked crosses to a very defensive right back which was also an expert at hitting shin pads.

Where is your god now? that's a 180 degree shift right there.

Mike Smalling

I don't think anyone expects him to become Dani Alves, but in my mind he could still become an efficient attacking full-back without being very strong technically. If he improves his decision making, timing of his runs and ability to pick the right pass that would go a long way - and these traits should be very coachable and improve with experience. He does not need Marcelo levels of dribbling or Beckham-like crossing to contribute in attack.

Let's not forget he just turned 22 - he obviously has not reached his full potential yet. And I would much rather have a solid defensive full-back that needs to improve offensively, than the opposite.

A-man

I honestly do not know why you are so adamant that people are "blinded" by his spectacular style. AWB's limitations as a player has been called out many times in this thread.

The bizzare thing is that you choose to adopt a false view of the consensus around here so that you can argue about something which many people know and have pointed out. Its tilting at windmills really.
To me it looks like you are just arguing for the sake of it. I have an opinion that we in general tend to overrate or underrate players depending on how we like the style of the player. This is an opinion I have had for a long time. I don’t see anything in your posts that would make me change that mind. If you call that adamant, or false view, so be it. If you believe everybody always is fully objective, so be it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Surely if we get an effective right winger ahead of him to do the end product. I am happy to have a RB who can defend. People expect players to do absolutely everything, instead of focusing on what they are great at.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
How was that unusual? He's a fullback not a winger. And he provided a crucial assist after making one of his trademark runs into the channel. You actually need good touch and dribbling skills to do that.

You just threw out two names of the greatest fullbacks, that is such lazy way to explain things. Alves have almost the exact playing style as Evra. He uses one touch and off the ball runs. He don't usually try to beat his man from a standstill like what Marcelo constantly does.

It's unusual for a good dribbler to not making any dribbling in 90+ minute game. That's just common sense, man.

And you're using his assist as an example, even though you fully knew it wasn't a dribbling. Or are you confusing ball skill and dribbling?

Why is such a lazy example with Marcelo and Alves? I can give you Chilwell, Jordi Alba.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Evra was also great at stretching defences with his runs, also a thing AWB could easily adapt to his game. Bright future ahead, for sure.
That's true. Clever movement will come with age. And he has lots of pace already, which extremely helpful.

criticalanalysis

This is the crux of the matter here. You'll happily make comments that basically say AWB's defensive nous is more style than substance and when people call you out on it, you're saying 'hey don't shoot me! it's just my opinion that I'm judging him more objectively than most of you guys, who are jerking off to his performance'.

Then (again separate topic but bringing this to your attention just so there's a fuller picture) when many many people say 'Lindefol is all (passive) style and no substance', you're all guns blazing.

The reality is that AWB is a far more effective defender than Lindelof has shown in his whole time at Utd (in their respective positions) but you have the audacity to make blaise remarks about the former without backing them up.

You do get the hypocrisy and the blinding bias here right?

Lastly, this should be the main point really but we're still waiting for these abundance of examples where other defenders are doing things more efficiently and shutting down their wing better than AWB given the context of his game against Sterling/City.

thepolice123

It's unusual for a good dribbler to not making any dribbling in 90+ minute game. That's just common sense, man.

And you're using his assist as an example, even though you fully knew it wasn't a dribbling. Or are you confusing ball skill and dribbling?

Why is such a lazy example with Marcelo and Alves? I can give you Chilwell, Jordi Alba.
Bizzare thing is you looked at a match which was more than a decade old, couldn't find any instances of Evra dribbling except for one where he tried to beat two men and decided he is shit at it. :confused:

If by good dribbling you mean beating his man, its not unsual because thats not exactly what he needs to do?

You obviously have not watched any of these fullbacks play apart from their hightlights reel. Alba didn't even beat his man once at the weekend and no way Chilwell is better than Evra at dribbling. Seriously.:lol:

A-man

This is the crux of the matter here. You'll happily make comments that basically say AWB's defensive nous is more style than substance and when people call you out on it, you're saying 'hey don't shoot me! it's just my opinion that I'm judging him more objectively than most of you guys, who are jerking off to his performance'.

Then (again separate topic but bringing this to your attention just so there's a fuller picture) when many many people say 'Lindefol is all (passive) style and no substance', you're all guns blazing.

The reality is that AWB is a far more effective defender than Lindelof has shown in his whole time at Utd (in their respective positions) but you have the audacity to make blaise remarks about the former without backing them up.

You do get the hypocrisy and the blinding bias here right?

Lastly, this should be the main point really but we're still waiting for these abundance of examples where other defenders are doing things more efficiently and shutting down their wing better than AWB given the context of his game against Sterling/City.
I see no point with this. You don’t seem like a person who would pick up something or change your mind about anything that I write, and likewise I have never seen anything you write that I think is worth picking up. So let’s leave it here. I believe some of us are coloured by his style of game when we evaluate him, you don’t think that. I think there are also other good ways to defend and not only tackles, you don’t think that. I think Lindelof is a good centreback, you don’t think that. I think I am biased with some players, you think you are not. We really don’t need to agree.

criticalanalysis

I see no point with this. You don’t seem like a person who would pick up something or change your mind about anything that I write, and likewise I have never seen anything you write that I think is worth picking up. So let’s leave it here. I believe some of us are coloured by his style of game when we evaluate him, you don’t think that. I think there are also other good ways to defend and not only tackles, you don’t think that. I think Lindelof is a good centreback, you don’t think that. I think I am biased with some players, you think you are not. We really don’t need to agree.
Let's not put words into my mouth here. I've literally said several times that AWB did overdo a couple of the tackles because he had won position already and I've never disagreed style can affect judgement.

And again nobody has disagreed there are other ways to defend other than tackling. The issue was that you made it out like there are lots of these examples that are similar to what AWB faced against Sterling/City and downplayed his performance and other's judgement for it. The truth is you can't name them because those are rare cases that doesn't support your narrative that it happens all the time, which basically renders your initial remarks as just pretentious and a ridiculous comparison.

Everyone is bias man, so we don't need to agree but stop making outlandish claims and doubling down when people pick it apart.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Once we get a striker that can get on the end of balls and even make goals out of nothing, he will get a bunch of assists. Didn't he have one to Greenwood in preseason by overlapping and Greenwood showed up in the box? I feel he has put in a considerable amount of good low crosses and a few good high crosses as well, the same with James but nobody has really been in the box to finish them.

A-man

Let's not put words into my mouth here. I've literally said several times that AWB did overdo a couple of the tackles because he had won position already and I've never disagreed style can affect judgement.

And again nobody has disagreed there are other ways to defend other than tackling. The issue was that you made it out like there are lots of these examples that are similar to what AWB faced against Sterling/City and downplayed his performance and other's judgement for it. The truth is you can't name them because those are rare cases that doesn't support your narrative that it happens all the time, which basically renders your initial remarks as just pretentious and a ridiculous comparison.

Everyone is bias man, so we don't need to agree but stop making outlandish claims and doubling down when people pick it apart.
I’m not sure what you are asking for. Do you want to know other ways than tackles to handle Sterling? He has scored in 6 out of 15 PL matches, he has scored two goals in his last 10 matches. It’s not like United is the only team in the world that know how to keep him from scoring. I have no idea how much football you watch, bit if not so much, start watching other teams and you’ll see there are many ways to defend. Tackles is one good way out of many. Following your opponent is another, interceptions, shutting down the way of passing, stopping crosses, a good offside line, etc. AWB makes exceptionally many tackles in a game, probably because he is very good at it. It is efficient, I have never said anything else. But it is not the only way.

rollingstoned1

He may not turn into a dani alves but offensively he can quite easily aim to be as effective as neville or azpilicueta. The ideal rb for us was the Rafael.who played in 2012-13.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He may not turn into a dani alves but offensively he can quite easily aim to be as effective as neville or azpilicueta. The ideal rb for us was the Rafael.who played in 2012-13.
No the ideal right back for us was prime Cafu, let's not be silly.

But if AWB keeps improving then I think we can all be pretty pleased. He really only has the one major weakness which is his inconsistent passing and I'm sure that is something that can be improved. We've played many worse right backs and still won trophies and he's only going to get better.

A-man

No the ideal right back for us was prime Cafu, let's not be silly.

But if AWB keeps improving then I think we can all be pretty pleased. He really only has the one major weakness which is his inconsistent passing and I'm sure that is something that can be improved. We've played many worse right backs and still won trophies and he's only going to get better.
His defensive skills also allow other players to go forward both in play and at setpieces. I would feel more comfortable with both CBs going up for an corner if we leave AWB defending instead of Shaw.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His defensive skills also allow other players to go forward both in play and at setpieces. I would feel more comfortable with both CBs going up for an corner if we leave AWB defending instead of Shaw.
Very good point. The importance of having a quick and good 1vs1 defender shouldn't be understated. Both on corners and similar instances where we might otherwise be vulnerable. As you say, you can risk a lot more offensively when you have a defender that can hold his own when shit hits the fan. That's the thing about the City game. We could use that tactic due to AWB's speciality. Take away that and we would have to change our whole approach tactically as it would be too easy for City to exploit the space out wide.

A-man

Very good point. The importance of having a quick and good 1vs1 defender shouldn't be understated. Both on corners and similar instances where we might otherwise be vulnerable. As you say, you can risk a lot more offensively when you have a defender that can hold his own when shit hits the fan. That's the thing about the City game. We could use that tactic due to AWB's speciality. Take away that and we would have to change our whole approach tactically as it would be too easy for City to exploit the space out wide.
Last year there were two or three conceded counter attack goals when Shaw was left as last man at a corner where both CBs moved up. He is not good enough man to man when he is left alone in the open space. With AWB it feels better. Also as you say, it allows certain tactics against teams like City who are strong along the wings. The problem is that Ole has not yet found out how he can utilize AWB and those strong defensive skills when facing teams that sit back.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Last year there were two or three conceded counter attack goals when Shaw was left as last man at a corner where both CBs moved up. He is not good enough man to man when he is left alone in the open space. With AWB it feels better. Also as you say, it allows certain tactics against teams like City who are strong along the wings. The problem is that Ole has not yet found out how he can utilize AWB and those strong defensive skills when facing teams that sit back.
I think that has more to do with James playing on the right. Ideally we'd want a player like Ødegaard/Sancho out there against teams that allow no space for James to run in. We get congested out there often with a lack of penetration, even though they generally keep the ball in the team effectively out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.