Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

We need new full backs. Its what it is. Get that kid from Norwich.
Aarons is entirely different, he can’t defend but looks great going forward. With our current central defenders we need a strong rightback, we can’t have the luxury of an attacking player there, as we’d get exposed constantly.

E-mal

For what we paid, he isnt good enough I must say.
All of Ole's signing have some questions mark but he is perhaps the worst of the lot in terms of technique relative to what we spent on him.
Bruno has been good although looses the ball easily, Maguire is just slow and James has no buisiness been here even as a squad player.
But value for money, AWB is bad.

In Rainbows

When it was between he or Aarons, I really wanted Aarons. A technical modern fullback. We got AWB and I think he was pretty good for most of the season. But it's obvious he's going to be exposed from here on out and he's going to dull our attack.

If Ole truly wants to play out from the back, I don't get why they bought him. Got rid of Smalling for this exact reason.

Idxomer

It's hard to see how he would improve when he has a rough time doing the basics right.

If Ethan Laird is all that, he shouldn't have a problem replacing him in a couple of years. Otherwise, the club will need to spend heavily on this position again.

Ole'sattheWheel

I think he looked good today. much improved since the last few games where he was all over the place looking knackered. got in several vital blocks/tackles but as we know wasn't clinical enough at the other end with his predictable passing to the more creative players infield..

I like him on the whole though.

Controversial/FM-esque opinion coming up so beware - how would people feel about him as a CB/RB rotation option? He's decent enough in his passing/dueling and bringing the ball forward that he could surely play that lindelof role next to maguire (who I thought had a great game today btw, my motm), and can shut down counters very effectively for games where we dominate possession. Just a thought

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Needs to do better going forward. Teams know they can afford to leave space out wide as our fullbacks don't really threaten at all. We saw glimpses of him doing that before lockdown, but in general, forget his end product, his basic short passing is too average. We need our fullbacks to at least be able to link up well and find team mates consistently.

RedDevilRoshi

He didn't put a foot wrong today. Yes there is parts of his game that he could get better at (offensively) but he did his job well today.

Seanus

For what we paid, he isnt good enough I must say.
All of Ole's signing have some questions mark but he is perhaps the worst of the lot in terms of technique relative to what we spent on him.
Bruno has been good although looses the ball easily, Maguire is just slow and James has no buisiness been here even as a squad player.
But value for money, AWB is bad.
Bit harsh.........

MetoTTT

Like him. He was bad lately. I hope he'll work this summer and be another man next season (like Martial since the restart).

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's had a great season with some bad games here and there, which is to be expected, considering he's still 22 and this is his 3rd year as a pro.

His strengths and weaknesses are quite obvious. I'm sure that he and the coaches all now there's work to be done and I expect him to get to an even higher level with time.

georgipep

I think he looked good today. much improved since the last few games where he was all over the place looking knackered. got in several vital blocks/tackles but as we know wasn't clinical enough at the other end with his predictable passing to the more creative players infield..

I like him on the whole though.

Controversial/FM-esque opinion coming up so beware - how would people feel about him as a CB/RB rotation option? He's decent enough in his passing/dueling and bringing the ball forward that he could surely play that lindelof role next to maguire (who I thought had a great game today btw, my motm), and can shut down counters very effectively for games where we dominate possession. Just a thought
Very poor in heading and positioning at crosses so I would be very concerned with him at CB.

mu4c_20le

Couldn't understand why he was getting slaughtered in the match thread.. I thought his first touch was good, provided width for us, and put in 5 tackles. Looked the only one assured today in the back line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When it was between he or Aarons, I really wanted Aarons. A technical modern fullback. We got AWB and I think he was pretty good for most of the season. But it's obvious he's going to be exposed from here on out and he's going to dull our attack.

If Ole truly wants to play out from the back, I don't get why they bought him. Got rid of Smalling for this exact reason.
These are the questions I was asking last year. I also preferred Aarons because he's better in the build up. Ethan Laird hopefully can stay injury free and will give us a genuine alternative option and hopefully we sign the young LB Mendes from SCP too.

Ole'sattheWheel

Very poor in heading and positioning at crosses so I would be very concerned with him at CB.
True, he does tent to get bullied at the back post.
But i remember wolves away at the start if the season, we basically had every player forward besides him and another defender (can't remember who sorry).
And every time Wolves tried playing it into the channel, be it jiminez, jota or traore he dealt with it perfectly - totally shut down their counters.
Obviously that was one game there that we did infact end up drawing (though i feel we were unlucky as wolves only really had one 5-10 minute spell and scored).

Anyway I think he has a specific skillset we can definitely utilise (right of a back 3 maybe). Or maybe with a sancho infront of him and more time training his offensive play he will look more complete.
Who knows, I wouldn't write him off yet though he's been immense at times this season and is still young

Anustart89

Couldn't understand why he was getting slaughtered in the match thread.. I thought his first touch was good, provided width for us, and put in 5 tackles. Looked the only one assured today in the back line.
Because every attack died with him. Missed loads of easy passes. No point having a good first touch if your second goes to the opposition.
How low expectations do we have of our players??

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd think about choosing another sport then maybe. He was woeful on the ball. He gets given the freedom of the pitch nearly every week because teams don't think he's any good. And they are correct.

Defensively he's sound. No issues there. Nowhere near good enough for a top club on the ball. It's amazing to me you can't see that.

Teja

I thought he was pretty good today, comments here are surprising. He's never going to be as technically proficient as TAA or Walker but I think he's good enough to be Utd's starting fullback for quite a while.

The only times he looks bad / a bit clunky going forward is when he's being crowded out and trying to wriggle away from 2-3 players. Isolate him against the opposition winger and he usually puts in a decent cross.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think we'll either need to get someone else to play as Rb in the future or AWB massively improves his game on the ball.

georgipep

True, he does tent to get bullied at the back post.
But i remember wolves away at the start if the season, we basically had every player forward besides him and another defender (can't remember who sorry).
And every time Wolves tried playing it into the channel, be it jiminez, jota or traore he dealt with it perfectly - totally shut down their counters.
Obviously that was one game there that we did infact end up drawing (though i feel we were unlucky as wolves only really had one 5-10 minute spell and scored).

Anyway I think he has a specific skillset we can definitely utilise (right of a back 3 maybe). Or maybe with a sancho infront of him and more time training his offensive play he will look more complete.
Who knows, I wouldn't write him off yet though he's been immense at times this season and is still young
He can still shutdown counters as RB if we have a RW who hugs the touchline and we have the LB pushing (again, 5 bodies in attack with the n10 in Bruno) but a CB must be able to cover his area with positioning and win headers. Just look at the Aerial Duels Won per 90:

mu4c_20le

I'd think about choosing another sport then maybe. He was woeful on the ball. He gets given the freedom of the pitch nearly every week because teams don't think he's any good. And they are correct.

Defensively he's sound. No issues there. Nowhere near good enough for a top club on the ball. It's amazing to me you can't see that.
This is what happens when you get your opinions from footballing geniuses on social media.

LJJT

Big concerns around AWB for me towards the end of this season. Can Williams play right back and push him on a bit? Just so limited with the ball,

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is what happens when you get your opinions from footballing geniuses on social media.
Not even sure what you mean by that. He's fecking tragic in possession mate. Nowhere near good enough.

Defensively I have never had an issue with him. Never be good enough on ball though. Never.

gajender

From Valencia to another Valencia..
Hopefully he'll develop and at least learn how to use of his pace to beat opposing fullback, even if he's not that great with dribbling
He is not a patch on Valencia to be honest when it comes to actual ability on the ball ,Valencia struggled in the final third but had an assured touch while being comfortable in passing most of the time they aren't similar at all.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Part of the reason we got rid of Smalling was because he was poor on the ball and was impeding us from playing from the back. Ole wants to play from the back and to do so you need your fullbacks to be good on the ball. AWB is extremely poor on the ball and he's part of the reason we've failed to successfully play from the back and beat any decent press. It became especially glaring when Shaw was out because with the latter we could at least managed to try to play from the back on the left.

Oppositions just block the middle and leave open passes to AWB then rush him into giving away the ball or making a poor pass back to our Cbs or midfield which put them under pressure.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Not even sure what you mean by that. He's fecking tragic in possession mate. Nowhere near good enough.

Defensively I have never had an issue with him. Never be good enough on ball though. Never.
I think thats bollocks mate. His dribbling is erratic but he can get past people and there's a reason why he sometimes gets doubled up when he has the ball high up the field.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think thats bollocks mate. His dribbling is erratic but he can get past people and there's a reason why he sometimes gets doubled up when he has the ball high up the field.
Plenty saying it on this thread now mate. Plenty. He's not a top 4 player on the ball. He's strong defensively though no question.

simplyared

He's been with us long enough now and although he's good in the tackle etc etc he's just not good enough as an allround top class full back. Going forward he's clueless. He's trying but you can see it's not in his DNA. Harsh but we need an upgrade definately for next season.

Skills

Snitch
Part of the reason we got rid of Smalling was because he was poor on the ball and was impeding us from playing from the back. Ole wants to play from the back and to do so you need your fullbacks to be good on the ball. AWB is extremely poor on the ball and he's part of the reason we've failed to successfully play from the back and beat any decent press. It became especially glaring when Shaw was out because with the latter we could at least managed to try to play from the back on the left.

Oppositions just block the middle and leave open passes to AWB then rush him into giving away the ball or making a poor pass back to our Cbs or midfield which put them under pressure.
Moreso than your CBs for the record.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Spot on mate. Teams have done their homework on us. Let AWB have the ball basically.

Zoo

Spot on mate. Teams have done their homework on us. Let AWB have the ball basically.
Thats why we‘re buying a right winger. AWB has had a cracking debut season and there’s more to come still.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is so poor on the ball.

I don't know if that's something you can improve at his age.

Very good defensively though today.

Adamsk7

Think there are some harsh comments in here. He’s had a really good season but has trailed off over the last 6 weeks or so - not surprising in his first season at a club like Utd and only his third overall. He’s been a beast defensively. His forward play is lacking, sure, but I do feel our lack of a real right sided player has hindered him too. His ability on the ball is not as bad as some say and he’s stuck some dangerous crosses in. If Sancho arrives, I expect teams to give AWB more space. If he can learn to overlap at the right time he’ll be far more effective.

Willing to at least give him another season or so before writing him off! He was getting praise all over the Caf for the first 6 months!

MiracleInMadrid

It's actually unbelievable to watch a player at this level look so unnatural with the ball at his feet.
For every time I watch him he seems to be more and more uncomfortable. This is what worries me. I have seen no improvement.

I love his defensive abilities, and he seems like a good and hard working guy. But we have to see vast improvement if, or else we need someone else to take us to the level we are aiming at. Next season we are going to be on the ball for the majority of matches, and I think that his limits are gonna be more and more apparent. I have a hard time seeing him be good enough offensively even if our tactical setup gets better.

I really hope he proves me wrong.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
At times I started counting every AWB possession as lost possessions. He was fecking up even simple passes to teammates, putting them under pressure. Pogba and Greenwood were receiving awkward balls from Wan Bissaka while opponents were breathing down their necks, putting them under unnecessary pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.