Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Think of all those people that went on about how good Young and Valencia were. This, this is a proper RB. Absolute wall. Some of those tackles you would say he has no right to get to and somehow he gets his leg wrapped around and to the ball.

dasty

Can't believe I spent weeks defending his signing against those who uses the Maldini quote "if a defender needs to tackle then he has already made a mistake" to slag him off as well as those who thinks he is a completely liability going forward. "He looks so technically poor and has a weird dribbling style." "We are Man Utd, we need someone who is better at attacking instead of defending, AWB is useless going forward we need Meunier more."

And that was the popular opinion in the transfer forum when his signing was almost confirmed. It was absolutely crazy.

pascell

All those that said he was far too expensive and wanted Meunier instead because he was older or something :lol:
Are they not allowed an opinion? I was one for looking at Meunier or giving Laird game time, still doesn't mean I dont fully back AWB as he's had a very solid start to pre season.

This is what's wrong with the Caf, people create a divide on players. Those who are wrong are constantly reminded by those who are right, sitting on their high horse. People are allowed to be wrong without being reminded constantly.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
we need to make a list of those claiming he was poor going forward so we can ignore their made up opinions from now on. Or how he being English was a factor or how he wasn't attacking enough for a modern fullback.
God we're just sheep on here.
Agreed, see I thought he might be limited going forwards based on his stats, but then after watching him closely for a couple of games and seeing the highlight clips, it was so obvious that he had bags of talent on the ball as well. I fully expect him to perform at both ends of the pitch on this viewing.

IrishRedDevil

Are they not allowed an opinion? I was one for looking at Meunier or giving Laird game time, still doesn't mean I dont fully back AWB as he's had a very solid start to pre season.

This is what's wrong with the Caf, people create a divide on players. Those who are wrong are constantly reminded by those who are right, sitting on their high horse. People are allowed to be wrong without being reminded constantly.
Have all the opinions you want. It’s a forum. The same way many people complained constantly for weeks on end that £45m was too much for AWB, others will point fun back and say it was a great signing. That’s what a forum is all about.

I’m here to watch my team perform at the highest level. It was clear as day to anyone that watched the PL last season that AWB was class and would instantly improve the team.

11reds

Watched United v Inter, Wan Bissaka is quality. He makes such a difference, he makes us very solid and despite what people think he will add to the attack.

Think we are short up front despite all the young players, greenwood looks impressive but we need a top quality striker.

Hopefully we add one or two more before start of the season.

Sp00ks11

Can't believe I spent weeks defending his signing against those who uses the Maldini quote "if a defender needs to tackle then he has already made a mistake" to slag him off as well as those who thinks he is a completely liability going forward. "He looks so technically poor and has a weird dribbling style." "We are Man Utd, we need someone who is better at attacking instead of defending, AWB is useless going forward we need Meunier more."

And that was the popular opinion in the transfer forum when his signing was almost confirmed. It was absolutely crazy.
Will be the same if we sign Maguire! Mark my words.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It was obvious to anyone who watches premier league at least every week about what he could do defensively. However, there is still doubt about his offense capabilities. As I stated before with Wan in defense, De Gea in goal, Shaw in left back and all our center back option, it is hard to see a defense better than ours in the league. Even though Liverpool has good attacking fullback and Van Dijk and Becker, we seem more stronger in the defensive aspect. I can see us having the most clean sheet in the league.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
As his rep grows he'll get a lot of respect from wingers and they wont even try to take him on, which is only going to help him. I really like his style and as he improves he'll make better decisions positionally etc both offensively and defensively. He doesn't always have to go to ground and give away corners and throw-ins if he can win the ball cleanly to start an attack, but when he is such a good and clean tackler he best stick to that speciality. As I said, he'll get a lot of respect from attackers with that style.

SteveW

Guilty as charged. There was a lot more to it than that (lack of LB cover, youngsters coming through at RB) but AWB looks too good to have missed out on.

Walters_19_MuFc

Picking up where he left off at Palace. Loves defending. Very few go past him, but I've been more impressed with his non-existent attacking play people were talking about. Superb performance!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Watching him destroy wingers will be fun this year.

Will be interesting to see how he fairs against the better wingers like son,mane,Sterling,sane.

His acceleration and timing is fantastic so I can’t see many beating him regularly.

worldinmotion66

It was obvious to anyone who watches premier league at least every week about what he could do defensively. However, there is still doubt about his offense capabilities. As I stated before with Wan in defense, De Gea in goal, Shaw in left back and all our center back option, it is hard to see a defense better than ours in the league. Even though Liverpool has good attacking fullback and Van Dijk and Becker, we seem more stronger in the defensive aspect. I can see us having the most clean sheet in the league.
Whaaa? Liverpool have a far better defence in terms of individuals and as a unit. They also have far better cover in front of them. City likewise.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Same, i even cut some videos (for the first time) to show he plays in attack and how he isn't player who is lacking technically. Looking good now, hopefully he steps up in proper games too. In the 3 games, he was just very good.

ash_86

After the recovery tackle, next time Dalbert had the ball on the left he gave a early cross instead of dribbling againt awb. Had me in giggles.

Amadaeus

Whaaa? Liverpool have a far better defence in terms of individuals and as a unit. They also have far better cover in front of them. City likewise.
Attackwise yes, but defensively we are superior. TAA is not better defending than AWB and Robertson is not better defending than Shaw. Matip is not better than linderlof, Smalling and is not that much better than Baily or Tuanzebe. If you disregard last season De Gea was the best keeper in the world for a few years, while Becker only came to prominence last season. I believe De Gea will recapture his world class form this season. So man to man, we are better than Liverpool defensively.

pascell

Have all the opinions you want. It’s a forum. The same way many people complained constantly for weeks on end that £45m was too much for AWB, others will point fun back and say it was a great signing. That’s what a forum is all about.

I’m here to watch my team perform at the highest level. It was clear as day to anyone that watched the PL last season that AWB was class and would instantly improve the team.
Then all is good my friend. Just don't want another Martial FC situation in here, that ones enough

worldinmotion66

Attackwise yes, but defensively we are superior. TAA is not better defending than AWB and Robertson is not better defending than Shaw. Matip is not better than linderlof, Smalling and is not that much better than Baily or Tuanzebe. If you disregard last season De Gea was the best keeper in the world for a few years, while Becker only came to prominence last season. I believe De Gea will recapture his world class form this season. So man to man, we are better than Liverpool defensively.
Matip won't get near the team when Gomez is back. Both Van Dijk and Gomez are better than our best central defender, and Alisson was far better than De Gea last season. Shaw has improved defensively but Robertson is still as good if not better. Alexander-Arnold is their weak link defensively, but ours is weaker in the central areas and, as I said before, they have a far better screen in front of them.

I'd be shocked if we match them defensively in terms of clean sheets and goals conceded, but I do think we will be much improved on last season.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Utter bollocks.

Shaw is miles behind Robertson, sadly he's the best LB on the planet forward and defensively. You don't see him making the types of mistakes that Shaw does and he's miles fitter too.

I agree Matip isn't better than Lindelof and probably on par with our others but because they've got VVD it's immaterial. The guy on his own would be better than ALL of our CB's playing at the same time because he's the best CB on the planet.

TAA probably isn't better defending than AWB but we'll have to see. I like the look of AWB from what little I've seen.

And as others have said, their midfield screening and the setup is much better than ours so even if we did actually have better players (and we don't) we'd still be at a disadvantage.

And then you talk about how solid they are at the back which allows their full-backs to go forward where they're brilliant attackers and we're nowhere near close to them defensively.

Amadaeus

Matip won't get near the team when Gomez is back. Both Van Dijk and Gomez are better than our best central defender, and Alisson was far better than De Gea last season. Shaw has improved defensively but Robertson is still as good if not better. Alexander-Arnold is their weak link defensively, but ours is weaker in the central areas and, as I said before, they have a far better screen in front of them.

I'd be shocked if we match them defensively in terms of clean sheets and goals conceded, but I do think we will be much improved on last season.
Gomez is a right back converted center back. Even though he did well the first half of the season, he is not a better individual defender than Lindelöf or Smalling. He just complemented Van Dijk well, who seem to turn average defenders like Matip, loveren and Gomez into decent/good ones. I even believe Tuanzebe would have done as good as Gomez if he played in the Liverpool system.

Becker had only one season at the top. when he can consistently have multiple good season like De Gea then there can be more credibility added to his ability. De Gea was also only poor towards the end of last season. Alison has never had a game like De Gea had against Spurs last season. Robertson is good going forward, but not as strong defending as is Shaw.

Nevertheless, we will have to wait and see what happens next season. I don’t believe any United fan would rather have Liverpool center back option minus Van Dijk. I rather have Smalling, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe, Bailly and Jones over Matip, Lovern and Gomez.

Utter bollocks.

Shaw is miles behind Robertson, sadly he's the best LB on the planet forward and defensively. You don't see him making the types of mistakes that Shaw does and he's miles fitter too.

I agree Matip isn't better than Lindelof and probably on par with our others but because they've got VVD it's immaterial. The guy on his own would be better than ALL of our CB's playing at the same time because he's the best CB on the planet.

TAA probably isn't better defending than AWB but we'll have to see. I like the look of AWB from what little I've seen.

And as others have said, their midfield screening and the setup is much better than ours so even if we did actually have better players (and we don't) we'd still be at a disadvantage.

And then you talk about how solid they are at the back which allows their full-backs to go forward where they're brilliant attackers and we're nowhere near close to them defensively.
Don’t think Shaw is miles behind Robertson defensively. Attackwise definetly, but I see improvement in Shaw games in that aspect. The screen they have in front of their defense is Fabinho or Henderson. We have Fred, Matic, or Mctominay. No doubt Fabinho is the best of the lot, but Fred and Mctominay showed they are able to screen the back four as showed against Barcelona and team after that match when they hit great form.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Liverpool play differently from United.

They can play progressive fullbacks because they play with 3 terriers in midfield.

United play with one DM and one #10 pretending to be a midfielder. The onus is on our fullbacks to cover their flanks defensively first and foremost. On that score, AWB and Shaw are arguably the best suited pairing in the world for what Ole is trying to achieve.

You couldn't swap TAA/Robertson for AWB/Shaw without weakening both teams.

worldinmotion66

Gomez is a right back converted center back. Even though he did well the first half of the season, he is not a better individual defender than Lindelöf or Smalling. He just complemented Van Dijk well, who seem to turn average defenders like Matip, loveren and Gomez into decent/good ones. I even believe Tuanzebe would have done as good as Gomez if he played in the Liverpool system.

Becker had only one season at the top. when he can consistently have multiple good season like De Gea then there can be more credibility added to his ability. De Gea was also only poor towards the end of last season. Alison has never had a game like De Gea had against Spurs last season. Robertson is good going forward, but not as strong defending as is Shaw.

Nevertheless, we will have to wait and see what happens next season. I don’t believe any United fan would rather have Liverpool center back option minus Van Dijk. I rather have Smalling, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe, Bailly and Jones over Matip, Lovern and Gomez.
I wouldn't swap any of theirs for ours, no. We have decent depth and they obviously don't. If Van Dijk gets a serious injury that'd likely derail their whole season. We are certainly moving in the right direction defensively, and I think a proactive defensive strategy in pressing will see us improve further. No doubt about it, Wan Bissaka is a great addition.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
AWB was sensational today. He’s been positively impressive with his forward play so far this pre-season, and in viewing, we could well have a candidate for the best RB in the league.

ManchesterYoda

I just want to re-post my comment regarding Wan-Bissaka, to reiterate just how good he is defensively.

For 1 v 1 defending on the ground, there is nobody in Europe better than Wan-Bissaka.
For me, the most important attribute for a FB is 1 v 1 defending on the ground.
I don't care how much he costs, I want us to sign him because DEFENSIVELY we will improve and we will have the best defensive RB in Europe.

Positive - interceptions and tackles won.
Negative - number of times dribbled past and fouls committed.

If we use Fellaini as an example of a player that is average (better than 50%) in terms of 1 v 1 defending on the ground.
355 interceptions, 636 tackles won, 236 times dribbled past, 607 fouls committed since 2009.
54.03% positive.
You can clearly see that Fellaini is no master at the art of defending 1 v 1.

Now we can look at 3 CBs and a DM who are.

86.56% positive Ferdinand (255-170-31-35)
79.85% positive Van Dijk (322-197-23-108)
78.91% positive Thiago Silva (868-580-108-279)
75.86% positive Carrick (582-565-229-136)

So why is Wan-Bissaka so good and worth whatever we pay?

86.82% positive Wan-Bissaka (99-158-14-25)

A few other RBs from Premier League
73.74% positive Azpilicueta (766-1062-290-361)
73.57% positive Walker (560-640-176-255)
69.62% positive Alexander-Arnold (110-149-68-45)

Find me someone better than Wan-Bissaka at 1 v 1 defending.
Wan-Bissaka is a master at the art of defending 1 v 1

All numbers are from Whoscored, 2009-present

Raven

Utter bollocks.

Whilst I agree that we're a good bit behind the pool defensively, there is absolutely no probably about AWB being better than TAA defensively, none.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Maldini can feck off with his 'if you have to tackle, you've already made a mistake' opinion.

He's never seen a tackler as good AWB.
Who?!

Status
Not open for further replies.