Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Imagine criticizing the one part of AWB's game that he is elite at. Charlie Austin is a fecking lemon.
I don't think he's elite defensively, just one aspect of it. When Azpi played full back, that was the level of an elite defensive full back. AWB can improve but is a long way from that imo. That said I wouldn't take anything Austin (or most talksport presenters) says seriously.

3vra

This is what I like to see. I predict minimum 7 assists this season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Imagine letting a lemon and his teammates score 4 goals as you stand there clueless how to defend a cross.
Pre season game, hardly the game to seriously critique his game ffs.

acnumber9

Never been to Limerick in my life. But if how the lot of them act is listening to top class managers like Hasenhüttl then it ain’t a half bad town.
Will that be the manager of the team that watched Wan Bissaka score against them as they shipped 9? Top class indeed.

Drainy

In fairness, he isn't that great at defending crosses or clever interplay on his side, but he is outrageously good at 1 on 1 defending.

Idxomer

His attacking game has improved a lot in the last year, it's arguably better than his defending now.

Lassitude42

Excellent first half with the penetrating run from inside his own half being a highlight. Slipped some nice passes down the line too. Fairly quiet in the 2nd half but overall a good game.

Love his pace and athleticism and he's actually quite creative with his short passing. He needs to work on his left foot though - he's far too unwilling to use it at the moment.

KennyBurner

He is improving his general play. Once he is very comfortable on the ball and knows what to do passing wise he will probably be our best defender down the years.

He played very well last night. He was getting better going forward last season but was a lot better vs Brentford. He was one of our most composed and aggressive players going forward.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Don't see how Trippier would be ahead of him. Trippier's all right but he is no Wan-Bissaka.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

He is improving his general play. Once he is very comfortable on the ball and knows what to do passing wise he will probably be our best defender down the years.
I'd back him 100% we need improvements in midfield far more urgently than worrying about him. He's gonna improve and he did so last year.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Unlikely I'd ever rate him as highly as most fans. I've never thought him to be our longterm solution, considering he one of the best one vs one fullbacks I've ever seen.
Reasoning:
He reaches into tackles which looks too awkward for me. Strange though because he pulls off some magnificent tackles with it. That's where the butter stops melting.
I don't know much about positional sense but he never looks comfy when his man is not on the ball or close enough for him to put a foot in.
Not a fan of fullbacks with long legs, considering fbs have to defend on the turn and in sitting posture. This always leads to taking a step back to create room before doing any proper defending or else theyll end up clattering the forward.

No conclusion here. This is just what I see when I watch him and can't ever get past it. He is still young though, you never know.
Could have just written that you don't like him and that he will never be good enough like most do. Fair enough. I've always wondered how some folks form their opinions on certain players but usually, delusional posts aren't explained this well. This actually provide some insight to how opinions like that gets formed. Bravo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He does this thing which i absolutely love watching and it makes me shocked everytime :drool:

Under pressure he looks completely lost for control and then he absolutely pings a pass on the floor at the most maximum speed like he shoots a gun with his foot. So accurate and so fast and directly straight to his target, it's something I live watching.

Eternitiy

Every defender makes mistakes. AWB is the best defensive right back in the world, I have no doubt about that.
How can our fans really believe this?

He's good at literally one thing, and it's absolutely pointless. Slide tackling. That's it.

Awla

I'd back him 100% we need improvements in midfield far more urgently than worrying about him. He's gonna improve and he did so last year.
I agree on the midfield position being a more pressing concern. But I still feel we need a much better backup/competition than Dalot and Williams at RB. While Telles is not a better player than Shaw, but his signing had some impact on the resurgence of Shaw.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Even if he isnt - the reason people call Wan Bissaka "the best defensive fullback" is because he can hold back inverted forwards very well.

He doesn't do that just with slide tackles but that's more the last way he does it.

Inverted forwards is one of the main and used tactics in the world in modern day football.

He struggles more with crossed balls from the opposite flank and things like the offside trap.

Steven7290

He's good at literally one thing, and it's absolutely pointless. Slide tackling. That's it.
It's not pointless and is absolutely fun to watch such a dying defensive art being performed consistently. And he's not just good at it, he's exceptional at it, maybe the best at what he does.
Best-defensive full back is maybe a stretch because there are many other facets of defending that he can improve upon such as positioning, heading, etc., however if you need a fullback in any 1v1 situations, no one is better than AWB.

RUCK4444

He’s a brilliant defensive fullback, trying to claim otherwise is bizarre really.

Do you just watch the highlights of games on YouTube or something?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a brilliant defensive fullback, trying to claim otherwise is bizarre really.

Do you just watch the highlights of games on YouTube or something?
Positioning is one of the most important attributes of a defensive fullback, his positioning is atrocious. I lost count of how many goals/chances we conceded last season due to his horrendous positioning. He also is incapable of performing an offside trap.

RUCK4444

Positioning is one of the most important attributes of a defensive fullback, his positioning is atrocious. I lost count of how many goals/chances we conceded last season due to his horrendous positioning. He also is incapable of performing an offside trap.
He locks down the right wing, his positioning can be improved, he comes too narrow often finding himself in a centre backs position but I think at least some of that has been tactical to overcompensate in order to help the cb’s. It’s unlikely a fullback takes that position without instruction.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Completely agree. Improved a lot last season going forward. Its quite obvious he has been instructed or/and is working on moving the ball quicker. He needs to improve a lot of course on his positioning generally (that goes for the majority of ENglish full backs though) but the rest of his game is already at a very good level and I still think he has a lot of room to grow.

Waas one of our most consistent performers last season, not the finished article yet by any means, but I find the criticism of him baffling at times.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Could have just written that you don't like him and that he will never be good enough like most do. Fair enough. I've always wondered how some folks form their opinions on certain players but usually, delusional posts aren't explained this well. This actually provide some insight to how opinions like that gets formed. Bravo.
What's there for me to dislike a young man that's been a success so far in his profession?
Ive watch football long enough to be delusional in my thinking. Nicely veiled attack. Ta

United in sin

The honest truth is yes he has been caught couple of times out of position or sleeping while defending and now you have morons like Charlie Austin talking crap about how we need Trippier, the same Trippier who I've seen defend appallingly bad many many times, in all aspects of the game.

AWB is not the finished product and he does need to improve and iron mistakes from his game, but the guy is an absolute monster in defense and yeah there's more to defending than tackling and containing a winger, but he's much better than given credit here. He's miles better in defense than TAA, better than James, and Pereira or whoever the feck you put in the bracket from the league.
I agree. Trippier is not a very good fullback. His passing and particularly his crossing are good but he's not an all rounder. Spurs fans were glad to see the back of him as he was in decline the last two seasons he was there. They actually booed him several times!

I don't think he's going to displace AWB as many wish on here, but he'll serve some purpose in providing back up and experience. The ones clamoring for him to walk into the starting 11 probably didn't watch his last few seasons at Spurs. Joining La Liga was a good career move as no major clubs in England tabled offers for him.

This blind adulation for Trippier reminds of the time united supporters proclaimed Telles to be better than Shaw before he even touched a ball for united! The best thing Telles (who like Trippier is great at set pieces and nothing else) did was push Shaw to be better. I expect Trippier to have the same impact on Bissaka

Last edited:

Glorio

I expect his attacking play to be even better this season. I reckon he'll be a revelation

Jacob

AWB would make the ideal RCB in a back three. Trippier makes sense in this regard. Giving us the option of playing out-and-out wing-backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.