Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

Game that showed off all his weaknesses.
His poor positioning and lack of technical ability.

It was very annoying how he constantly turned away from teammates and isolated himself when he got the ball, making him very easy to press.

LoneStar

Funny reading the top of this page and the bottom.

Had a poor game.
I think the contrast is apt to his performances. Defensively sound. On his days, he's decent in attack, but today he was pretty bad. He couldn't wait to get rid of the ball today.

Litch

Teams actually leave him out there to cross the ball uncontested. The limitations of this player beggars belief for 50m.

PoTMS

It was funny reading that Trippier would come in to be his backup. Even funnier reading that people prefer him over Alexander-Arnold. Yes, he might not be as good at 1v1 defending but he's 10x the player Wan-Bissaka is and would make us a much better team. Imagine a lineup of TAA/Trippier, Varane, Maguire and Shaw. Instead, we have someone who can't play football.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Look I understand that he’s shit. What I don’t understand is how we apparently watched him for an entire year, and thought that’s what we needed on our right side. He can’t control a football, can’t pass a football, can’t run with a football, yet we paid somebody 50m so that he’d join us to play football. Just baffling.

AFC NimbleThumb

Whilst his 1v1 defending is an asset he is a liability positionally & his offensive play is at points non-existent.

He gets given space game after game with no tangible progress in these situations. Our lack of threat from R B is as much a handicap as anything else in this team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll be better with Sancho in front. Greenwood and Wan Bissaka on the same flank just doesn't work imo. Neither have an ounce of creativity.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Created a couple of chances today and was solid in genersl.
I saw him cross three times to create some decent chances.

Yet people complain about his crossing? He had a poor game with some poor passing - but this could be argued for alot of our players when even Bruno wasn't passing to dictate our game much.

El Zoido

He really is so average. Has he been a successful signing?
He was fine initially, but Shaw and Maguire both got really good. Now we have Varane. So AWB is clearly the weakest link in this back four, and I don’t think he’s going to get any better. Tripper would have been perfect to push him, have them fight over the place, but apparently it wasn’t to be.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He was fine initially, but Shaw and Maguire both got really good. Now we have Varane. So AWB is clearly the weakest link in this back four, and I don’t think he’s going to get any better. Tripper would have been perfect to push him, have them fight over the place, but apparently it wasn’t to be.
This is where I disagree. The player has time on his hands.

Shaw was worse or as average as Wan Bissaka until the last season and was for a long time. If Shaw can improve from that mess he was then Wan Bissaka should be able to aswell.

TempusFugit

Aaron is scared of the ball. He controls it with some false bravado near our box and around the midfield area, but as soon as he gets near the opponent's box he hands it off like a hot potato to Greenwood. He doesn't attempt any dangerous passes, just lays it off and makes an overlapping run which the opposition doesn't track. Honestly he doesn't spell danger for the opponent, they can let him have the ball all day.

So many opportunities today to play the ball to Pogba's feet but he just lays it off to whoever is on his flank. His recovery tackles are no longer enough,he needs to show more otherwise i think Dalot should get an extended run in the team.We are going to be on the front foot more often than not, we need our RB to be very comfortable in possession and a threat to opposition defences.

Reactions: Sultan

PoTMS

He's a £10m punt type of signing, how did we end up spending £50m on him?

Silas

This is where I disagree. The player has time on his hands.

Shaw was worse or as average as Wan Bissaka until the last season and was for a long time. If Shaw can improve from that mess he was then Wan Bissaka should be able to aswell.
Think that's too simplistic a way of looking at it. Shaw's main issues weren't technical (other than crossing), moreso mental/tactical. A lot easier to improve in those aspects than in the fundamentals of ball control and passing.

RedSinha

Look I understand that he’s shit. What I don’t understand is how we apparently watched him for an entire year, and thought that’s what we needed on our right side. He can’t control a football, can’t pass a football, can’t run with a football, yet we paid somebody 50m so that he’d join us to play football. Just baffling.
Yeah, at least they watched him play to have an opinion on him that isn't this horrible.

Marwood

Way over the top.

Short memories in here. Back end of last season he was looking very good on the ball, as tidy as anybody else.

He just needs to find that consistency of touch and weight of pass.

2 man midfield

Yeah, at least they watched him play to have an opinion on him that isn't this horrible.
What do you think they saw in him then?
Way over the top.

Short memories in here. Back end of last season he was looking very good on the ball, as tidy as anybody else.

He just needs to find that consistency of touch and weight of pass.
He wasn’t. He’s usually decent in games where we have to do a lot of sitting in and keeping it tight. No issue whatsoever playing him when that’s required. But when you want an attacking full back who is going to carry the ball, be an outlet in attack, deliver a cross, he isn’t the guy. It’s just so obvious that I don’t know why more hasn’t been done about it.
We paid heavy English tax for a player who will end up playing for Congo :lol:
:lol:

Mickson

Think that's too simplistic a way of looking at it. Shaw's main issues weren't technical (other than crossing), moreso mental/tactical. A lot easier to improve in those aspects than in the fundamentals of ball control and passing.
Classic case of caf thinking someone will become great on the basis of "he is young". Looks good for my son then, he's also young. Doesn't mean he will become an elite baller. AWB will never be great on the ball.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't really rate him. I want to. But so much about his game is average and pisses me off to be quite frank. He's still young and got time on his side to improve, but there's just something off about him. Guess we'll see in time, I hope he can kick on and get better.

He can put in a lovely slide tackle though.

RedSinha

What do you think they saw in him then?
That he can control a football, can pass a football, can run with a football. And quite well at that. One off game doesn't change that.

He was quite good last year, was very reliable on the ball. His crossing doesn't hit the target often but he's being trained to make more runs forward and cross. Maybe his crossing can be something to be questioned because he's taking his sweet time becoming good at it, but he has definitely improved.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Probably get £20m for him from someone next summer. That's about all he's worth. Thankfully his wages aren't as obscene as some other players so we should be able to move him on if we decide to.

Never winning major titles with such a weak midfield and a weak right back.

2 man midfield

That he can control a football, can pass a football, can run with a football. And quite well at that. One off game doesn't change that.

He was quite good last year, was very reliable on the ball. His crossing doesn't hit the target often but he's being trained to make more runs forward and cross. Maybe his crossing can be something to be questioned because he's taking his sweet time becoming good at it, but he has definitely improved.
It isn’t one off game though, it’s standard stuff from him. To be that poor technically at a club like man United is pretty unforgivable imo.

criticalanalysis

I thought he would have a break out season with a consistent right winger in front of him :(

His technical ability and game intelligence when on the ball is so wildly inconsistent and poor too many times.

It's the hope that gets you..

I mean there's still time right guys?

elnorte

Freaky fly day
A standard AWB performance is like watching paint dry. A bad one is like having a can of said paint spilled all over your beige luxury carpet.

Renegade

I saw him cross three times to create some decent chances.

Yet people complain about his crossing? He had a poor game with some poor passing - but this could be argued for alot of our players when even Bruno wasn't passing to dictate our game much.
He plays for Manchester United, his going to have opportunity to play crosses by default.

jesperjaap

Im a big fan of his personally and thought he made a lot of progression last season.

He was decent in the first game....today though was like regressing to pre covid if not worse. I thought he was very poor today, Tried to run with the ball too much where as he has been releasing it quickly the last few months, his passing in the second half was shoddy (hardly th eonly culprit there though) and his positioning which is the one major weakness he still has was worse than I have ever seen it, it wasnt defending crosses it was just watching his opponent and at time a lazy attitude to movign across or shuffling back. Deserves an absolute rollicking like a few today

Status
Not open for further replies.