Abortion

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
yeh but if you now mandate a cut off point arent you now saying the woman no longer has her right of choice . are you now saying well you have a choice but only up to this point and then u have no choice . If the argument is the woman has a right of choice why isnt it given a broad spectrum why does the state all of a sudden have a right and interest in the child.

with advances in modern medicne a child can survive after 23 weeks so its very touch and go
Very difficult question. If after 23/24/25 weeks (when a fetus can survive on its own), a woman no longer wants the pregnancy, I think the child should be delivered immediately and the state takes responsibility at no cost to the mother.
But like I said, very rarely does a woman decide to terminate a pregnancy that late so a law like that is almost useless.

Pagh Wraith

It's frankly staggering that you talk about human rights and feminism whilst opposing a woman's right to chose what happens with her own body and advocating forcing childbirth.
What about the rights of the child?

There is a great quote by the great Christopher Hitchens when asked whether he opposed abortion:

"I've had a lot of quarrels with some of my fellow materialists and secularists on this point, but I think that if the concept ‘child’ means anything, the concept ‘unborn child’ can be said to mean something. All the discoveries of embryology [and viability] - which have been very considerable in the last generation or so - appear to confirm that opinion, which I think should be innate in everybody. It’s innate in the Hippocratic Oath, it’s instinct in anyone who’s ever watched a sonogram. So ‘yes’ is my answer to that."

It really boils down to this: If you don't see the unborn as human beings worthy of our compassion and support, then you also don't need any justification for abortion. If this is the case, then women should be allowed to what they want with their body and their pregnancy. If they are human beings though, then no justification for abortion is morally good enough. Unless this reason justifies ending the life of any other born human being in similar circumstances.

Pagh Wraith

I’d the interested to know the OP’s age and views on religion.. Being anti-abortion is utter hokum.
Got into trouble more then a few times for voicing my opinion on religion here. I find it utterly abhorrent and wrong as well.

SirAF

Ageist
Got into trouble more then a few times for voicing my opinion on religion here. I find it utterly abhorrent and wrong as well.
I find that peculiar, I’m also vehemently against religion. However, it’s usually the religious nutjobs who are «pro life».

ChaddyP

Statements like this need to be very carefully qualified. The survival rate is 10-35% and the chances of serious complications are very high.

oh yes i agree. It however is still technically possible

By the way im mostly playing devils advocate. my wife has had an abortion and i was all for what she wanted and paid for it and went through all the emotional stress with her. So i dont particularly have an issue with abortion as it suited me. I do think abortion is a necessary "evil" but the law and ways used to say what happens are sketchy. Roe V wade itself was very sketchy in my opinion.

Also i dont give a feck about religous viewss as I dont believe in god and all that nonsense. so it doesnt sway my thoughts on the matter

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Illegal abortion is an ineffective deterrent. Women who live somewhere where it is illegal and have made up their mind about getting an abortion will seek illegitimate alternatives via unsafe procedures from private practitioners, often overseas on the cheap, which poses a major risk to the safety and the health of the woman. There has to be a safe and healthy option for all women, whether you agree with it or not. If you are pro life, surely you have to be considerate to the health and wellbeing of the woman involved just as much, if not more so, than the unborn glob of cells.

It's a procedure that should be given a great deal of consideration and used as a last resort. But bottom line, there is something incredibly crass about men dictating what all women shouldn't be allowed to do with their own bodies. Their womb, their rules.
Yes, even if you do believe the initial fetus is a human life which must be respected to the same extent as any living human, you should surely still realise that banning abortion isn't going to help, and conversely in the long-term will only put more unborn children at risk due to desperation.

The best solution, of course, is for proper sexual education and encouragement of contraceptives etc. It tends to be the case that such approaches work and end up reducing the need for an abortion in the first place because unwanted/unplanned pregnancies become rarer. But rather ironically (or perhaps not ironically) most conservative types are instead in favour of preaching abstinence which only have an adverse effect because it denies basic human sexuality.

Minimalist

You're not religious?

You've lost me then. It's only argument I can understand (not that I agree with it).

Go to a slaughterhouse and watch what humanity does to much more intelligent creatures (feck the food chain excuse). I'm not a vegan/vegetarian either - just facing reality of the world. Compared to those animals, an abortion is fcuk all.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
If they are human beings though, then no justification for abortion is morally good enough.
Let me try a few. Real-life scenarios.

Woman with heart condition who already has three kids and will die if she is forced to continue a pregnancy that occurred due to her birth control failing.

Fatal Foetal Abnormality, the baby has no brain and will never live.

Woman with a brain condition who will have a stroke if forced to continue.

We're just through a referendum about abortion in this country and we're ready for the likes of you. We had disgusting dehumanisation and minimalisation of women who were in the examples above as "hard cases" and the referendum was a resounding yes.

Pagh Wraith

You're not religious?

You've lost me then. It's only argument I can understand (not that I agree with it).
I haven't made any argument that is any way tied to religion. So why make that assumption? Guilt by association? I find that very frustrating.

Minimalist

I haven't made any argument that is any way tied to religion. So why make that assumption? Guilt by association? I find that very frustrating.
Because your reasons don't make sense once religion goes out the window.

Abortion isn't nice but there's no way to see it as a crime in non-religious sense. You going to continue to ignore my repeated comparison to how we treat animals? A pig or cow about to be slaughtered has a hell of a lot more going on in their heads than a foetus does.

Pagh Wraith

@unchanged_lineup Why bring up things that I have already addressed? If the mother's life is threatened in any way then of course abortions should be permitted. Just like any other act of self-defense.

ChaddyP

Very difficult question. If after 23/24/25 weeks (when a fetus can survive on its own), a woman no longer wants the pregnancy, I think the child should be delivered immediately and the state takes responsibility at no cost to the mother.
But like I said, very rarely does a woman decide to terminate a pregnancy that late so a law like that is almost useless.

true but doesnt mean it cant happen. A woman can realise she wasnt pregnant after 6 months . what if she just realised then from some freak accident and doesnt want the child what them? what if she was raped and never knew she was pregnant till 7 months. If she doesnt want to be pregnant isnt her right to choice now being impeeded by the state.

We need an rvn

I'm not advocating right or wrong on abortion but I am very strongly in favour of the choice if needed.

We have a woman where we live who's husband died when she was pregnant with her xth child. The child ended up being deaf, dumb, blind and disabled from birth. Every day she attends the special hospital her daughter "lives" in but she really has no life and the drain on her other kids is so clear to see. Whether she chose to have an abortion or not I really don't know but to me that is no life for a child or a mum, or her children for that matter.

My wife works wife down syndrome kids and I have often said to her I am proud what she does as I know deep down I could not do it. She is stronger than me but has also admitted she doesn't think she could handle having a child for the rest of her life.

There is no way in my opinion someone should be denied an abortion as everyone has a different view or even threshold of what can make them work. But the main part is do they have a reason to live, can they smell the green grass, see the blue sky or touch squidgy jelly, can they think for themselves. If they are going to be a vegetable who can't do anything but lie in pain then is it fair.

Weirdly I had a dream 2 days ago where in my dream I was in a coma and couldn't wake up. The pain in my dream was unreal. I mean I could see and hear my kids talking to me but I couldn't respond and the pain was unreal. Woke up hyperventilating but the thought was imagine not being able to wake up and talk how much pain you're in

No right or wrong but just my two pence worth

SirAF

Ageist
@unchanged_lineup Why bring up things that I have already addressed? If the mother's life is threatened in any way then of course abortions should be permitted. Just like any other act of self-defense.
But if the birth control fails/condom breaks/whatever then the mother should be forced to «give up» nine months of her life in order to carry the child and then give it up for adoption?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
true but doesnt mean it cant happen. A woman can realise she wasnt pregnant after 6 months . what if she just realised then from some freak accident and doesnt want the child what them? what if she was raped and never knew she was pregnant till 7 months. If she doesnt want to be pregnant isnt her right to choice now being impeeded by the state.
I think you misunderstand me.
I am not saying a woman has to carry the pregnancy. The right of the woman trumps the unborn child. I don't know much about the process of abortion, I don't know how it's done but I believe it's a surgical procedure. I am saying at that point since the child can survive on its own, the surgical procedure should be to remove it. Under no circumstance should a woman be forced to carry a child.

Blackwidow

Does a baby or unborn child not have the right to be born by a mother and grow up in a family that really wants them and that can care for them?

I love all the persons that are into antiabortion but give a shit about mother and kid after the birth - or do not care about the world a kid is born into.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Personally I have no issue with someone being vehemently against abortion if they genuinely see no difference between a child and an unborn child. I don't agree with that supposition but once you do then that position makes complete sense.

However, I think it's important to draw a distinction between that abstract position on abortion and actually legislating for the reality of abortion. The reality is that abortion still exists in countries that have a ban on abortion, it's just less regulated and less safe. If you want to maintain a ban on abortion then you're protecting an abstract moral position over the health of women who will still choose to have abortions regardless. Which is a rather different discussion to whether or not you think abortion is morally justified in and of itself.

In regards to the federal cuts mentioned in the OP, I would imagine they would fall into a similar category. Rather than actually stopping abortions (which would make sense from a pro-life point of view) I rather suspect they would actually result in more dangerous and late-term abortions. Which would only be a win for pro-lifers if the gesture of not funding abortion is more important to them.

Last edited:

nickm

Abortion is an abhorrent crime and has absolutely nothing to do with women's rights. This is such a nonsense argument. It is about the protection of human life and your only argument against abortion would be that an unborn baby is not developed enough to be worth protecting. Again nonsense in my opinion but at least it's a point you could defend.
Are you male or female? Because there’s nothing like watching a bunch of blokes argue about what women should and shouldn’t be able to do with their bodies

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
@Pagh Wraith I don't agree with you and I am pro-choice, but you are one of the only people I have ever encountered who are pro-life that aren't complete idiots.
That's what I was thinking. He's arguing alone against 20+ people and comes across well. I don't agree with him, but I don't think he's an hypocrite like most anti-abortion are. Unfortunately, some are treating him like if he his.

ChaddyP

Are you male or female? Because there’s nothing like watching a bunch of blokes argue about what women should and shouldn’t be able to do with their bodies

does the father of the child have rights too? not bashing just asking what are your thoughts on this

Minimalist

That's what I was thinking. He's arguing alone against 20+ people and comes across well. I don't agree with him, but I don't think he's an hypocrite like most anti-abortion are. Unfortunately, some are treating him like if he his.
He's answering fcuk all.

SirAF

Ageist
There’s just no comeback against this.

nickm

does the father of the child have rights too? not bashing just asking what are your thoughts on this
I am thinking that abortion is one of those issues where women get to decide this shit, not men. Because a man also has the option to do a runner and leave the woman with a ruined life, whatever thoughts about his “rights” he might have entertained earlier on.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That's always been a stupid argument too. It's a debate that involves all of society. Not just the women who have to undergo it. Otherwise we'd bar menopause and underage women from the discussion too.

Now it helps if everyone in the discussion has empathy for the situation women who are considering abortion find themselves in.

Minimalist

That'll happen when people are shouting ad hominems at him and assuming his religious status.
I explained because I can at least understand that belief position. If you're not religious, I genuinely believe you're living in a fecking dreamworld to not appreciate there are far worse problems in the world than abortion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In fairness, from his point of view the debate is first and foremost about the lives of both male and female children.

Plus even if you believe an abortion should be a woman's choice, the question as to whether and how that position is legally enshrined by the state is a societal one that men have a right (and indeed a responsibility) to contribute to.

adexkola

Supports
It's a contentious issue here in the states. While there is a big correlation between the pro-lifers and conservatives/evangelicals, enough citizens are against abortion that dismissing opposition to abortion as "religious nutters haha" is short-sighted. Roe vs Wade's chances of survival depend on the health of 2 octogenarians in the Supreme Court. One of them croaks in the next 2 years and it's curtains for legalized abortion at the federal level.

Personally I'm pro-choice (very reluctant), but it's a trade-off between 2 horrible alternatives.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There’s just no comeback against this.
I don't agree with him, but I think part of the problem here is that his argument isn't really related to rights of the person carrying the pregnancy: it's that he views a fetus as a child from the point of conception, and therefore regards it as a human life. Obviously if you see it from that perspective then the value of that human is going to supersede all else, except in cases where the mother's life is threatened, something he himself has acknowledged he'd allow abortions for.

adexkola

Supports
I explained because I can at least understand that belief position. If you're not religious, I genuinely believe you're living in a fecking dreamworld to not appreciate there are far worse problems in the world than abortion.
What kind of shit logic is that? There are far worse problems in the world than most issues so they become non-issues?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That'll happen when people are shouting ad hominems at him and assuming his religious status.
Ironically I think some religions offer powerful arguments FOR abortion.

If the soul is immortal, then an abortion is nothing more than preventing an immortal soul from incarnating into a situation that is not-ideal and allowing them the opportunity to incarnate into a better situation.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's a contentious issue here in the states. While there is a big correlation between the pro-lifers and conservatives/evangelicals, enough citizens are against abortion that dismissing opposition to abortion as "religious nutters haha" is short-sighted. Roe vs Wade's chances of survival depend on the health of 2 octogenarians in the Supreme Court. One of them croaks in the next 2 years and it's curtains for legalized abortion at the federal level.

Personally I'm pro-choice (very reluctant), but it's a trade-off between 2 horrible alternatives.
I don't see that happening. Republicans may try it but I genuinely reckon you'd see mass walk-outs in workplaces in protest against it etc in liberal, Democratic-leaning areas. A lot of women in those areas have grown accustomed to abortion being allowed as the norm, and I think any government which tried to reverse this would find themselves dealing with an enormous shitstorm. And for all their religious pandering, ultimately enriching themselves tends to be the primary goal of GOP politicians.

ChaddyP

I am thinking that abortion is one of those issues where women get to decide this shit, not men. Because a man also has the option to do a runner and leave the woman with a ruined life, whatever thoughts about his “rights” he might have entertained earlier on.

yeh but not all men are like that. My wife and i decided together and both agreed we were ok with an abortion at the time. Some men arent that lucky and i can see the side of a man that wants the mother to carry the child instead of abortion. He can then pull a ronaldo and have keep the child for himself. what if the man really wants the child and the woman doesnt. does he not have some sort of say ?

nickm

That's always been a stupid argument too. It's a debate that involves all of society. Not just the women who have to undergo it. Otherwise we'd bar menopause and underage women from the discussion too.
It usually seems to be men making that argument.

I think women have to have the right to make the call. Yes, “society” gets to debate the limits, but women should get to control their reproduction. They make the babies, so they get to call the shots.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This again, didn't we have a similar thread when Ireland had their referendum?

Anyway, I'm 100% pro-choice, women should be allowed to terminate at ANY point of the pregnancy, the fetus, if it can survive, should be given a chance to, otherwise, bye bye fetus.

One day if there's technology for the pregnancy to be transferred to some kind of incubator, the pro-birth side can have all the unwanted fetus they like.