Absolutely Random footballers from the 1990's

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
:D I thought you might like that one!

BTW what's with West ham buying the Ford place for training? Is that happening? I used to play over there, shame to see the standard drop ;)
Yeah we should be there this time next year, it's a bigger faculity than what we have and it needs is the building built there as it already has pitches.

The club seem to think our current training ground is down to a lot of the injuries too so they was keen to move.

As for the standard dropping, I don't think it will it's not as if anyone will train there they'll all just use the injury room

Wes

#52 Bruce Grobbelaar

A classic. Most notably played for Liverpool during their good times in the 1980's winning plenty of silverware and almost single-handedly winning them a penalty shoot-out against Roma in 1984. Vetern of the Civil war in Zimbabwee, he used this to defend his madness, which was evident for all to see, including him usually clicking his heels in front of the kop after conceeding soft goals. He would sometimes go properly mad and was known to have put Steve McManaman and Jim Beglin on their arses at half time after dodgy passing. Later involved in match-fixing scandal, whereby some Malaysian business man gave him a suitcase full of money to carry on conceeding goals for Liverpool. Caught on video-tape discussing match-fixing by The Sun and still had the pleasure to plead not guilty. Obviously guilty, he got away with it because he said he was claiming he was "only gathering evidence with the intent of taking it to the police", and presumably, because he's only that mad fecker Bruce Grobbelaar. Subsequently sued The Sun, but was only awarded £1 and ordered to pay their charges which he was unable to and was declared bankrupt.

His mission is now to become Liverpool manager, appartantly, which I've no doubt he will. Oh, Brucie, Brucie, Brucie, Brucie, Brucie, Brucie, Gobble shit.

Bruce Grobbelaar

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah we should be there this time next year, it's a bigger faculity than what we have and it needs is the building built there as it already has pitches.

The club seem to think our current training ground is down to a lot of the injuries too so they was keen to move.
There is a shit load of room there, plus I'll beable to through things at them! Everyone wins :D

As for the standard dropping, I don't think it will it's not as if anyone will train there they'll all just use the injury room
You missed my joke. Let me spell it out for you ;)

I used to play over there.

West Ham will now play over there.

Me > West Ham 'players' (using the term loosely).

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
There is a shit load of room there, plus I'll beable to through things at them! Everyone wins :D
Why do it when their in training, go down faces on the weekend and you'll always see a few players down there. no security there either

You missed my joke. Let me spell it out for you ;)

I used to play over there.

West Ham will now play over there.

Me > West Ham 'players' (using the term loosely)
No I got the joke I think you missed my blatent sarcasm

Wes

#24 Temuri Ketsbaia

Known for kicking the advertising hoardings around St James's after scoring goals, this man briefly was mentioned in conversations regarding football in the late 1990's to which I was exposed. Legend apparantly, Dagleish thought otherwise and rarely gave him a game, branding him a wierdo.

Temari Ketsbaia

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
No I got the sarcasm, I think you missed my blatant stupidness to miss the sarcasm and now try to come back :nervous:

Oh and blatant is spelled like this. Phew, now I feel better!
:lol:

Because Faces is a shit-hole, and I'm scared if I get in a fight Neill might flop and I'll get sent off!
Neill is an Aussie he goes to Walkabout. sad twat

Ivor Ballokov

Gilles de Bilde

Despite an initially fruitful start to his spell with Sheffield Wednesday, De Bilde's association with the side's decline as a footballing force and the perception that he was a mercenary figure who cared little about the club's fortunes made him a particular hate figure for Wednesday fans. De Bilde became synonymous with the crop of players who received hefty salaries yet failed to perform to the expected standard. This was especially the case following the club's relegation to the old Division One (nowadays known as the Football League Championship). The nadir of his Wednesday career came during a 4-1 away defeat to Wimbledon at Selhurst Park - De Bilde's arrival on the pitch as a second half substitute brought instant cat calls from Wednesday fans and a serenade of "Gilles de Bilde, can he fix it? Gilles de Bilde, can he f*ck" to the tune of the theme of popular children's show Bob the Builder.[citation needed] Wednesday manager Paul Jewell was sacked in the wake of the defeat.

Jewell claimed that, during his time at Wednesday, De Bilde turned down a loan deal because there was no-one to look after his dogs. The striker rejoined Anderlecht in 2001 on a free transfer and played in the UEFA Champions League before moving on to SK Lierse in 2003. His love for "man's best friends" got him into trouble again in September 2006. He missed a match for his club at the time, Willebroek Meerhof (of the Belgian Third Division), due to the death of his pet dog.[1]

3Sixty

Ali Dia

*Picture not available"

The former Paris Saint-Germain legend who was capped 13 times as a Senegalese international, joined Southampton in in 1996 under the recommendation of his cousin and long time admirer George Weah.

or at least thats how his agent tells it.

Ali Dia joined Southampton after a brief stint at semi-pro club Blyth Spartans, on the recommendation of, well his agent, doing his very best George Weah impression. His one and only Southampton appearance came against Leeds united in which he came off the bench to replace Matt Le Tiss, only to take one shot and be subbed off again 20 odd minutes later, he then was released and signed with non league gateshead, his whereabouts our now unknown.

Wes

#15 Glen Helder

Absolute madman who played for Arsenal, signed by George Graham, so presumably for some sort of financial reward, which would explain a fair amount, really. More or less a regular in his first season, Wenger took one look at him and sent him to Benfica on loan, and by the time he came back Overmars had robbed his place, probably because Marc Overmars was actually good at football. Went and played for some random clubs after being given his marching orders including some Chinese club named Dalian Wanda, who sound terrific. Attempted sucide in 1999 because of problems resulting from compulsive gambling yet continues to gamble, and is even seen playing poker on the British Five television station, representing the Netherlands, good old Holland and blatant disregard for mental health, eh?

He was imprisoned in September 2007, on account of threatening his ex-girlfriend and physically abusing her current partner. In March 2008, Helder accepted to be treated at De Waag, an institute for ambulant forensic psychiatry in Haarlem, where he currently resides.

Glen Helder

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Absolutely love this thread. Used to collect the old sticker books and occasionaly was allowed to stay up late and watch MotD so remember the players from that.

One thing it does make me think though - how shit was the PL in the 90s?

Ivor Ballokov

Samassi Abou

Can't find much about him but I remember he was truly awful.

Harry Redknapp had this to say.

* On Samassi Abou: "He don't speak the English too good."

* On Samassi Abou's mystery ailment: "The lad went home to the
Ivory Coast and got a bit of food poisoning. He must have eaten a dodgy
missionary or something."

sidsutton

No picture as the function is fecked for me :confused:

John Spencer - known more for his uncanny resemblance to Wee Man than for his footballing prowess, Spencer managed a couple of years at Chelsea when they were wank.

sidsutton

Mark Stein - another Chelsea midget from the 90s. had one great season which got me loads of points in fantasy football. His brother was better.

sidsutton

Jason Cundy - did the rounds of london clubs as a distinctly pedestrian centre back. Scored an amazingly flukey goal one time, kicking it from a tackle at the half way line. Think he lost a bollock. Great name for piss taking.

sidsutton

spurs is a hotbed of randomers.
Indeed.

Jason Dozell - remember the name but nothing of the player. There`s barely a photo of him on google images either. Played for Spurs, Ipsich who else? Completely anonymous.

so destined for obscurity, that the picture doesn`t want to show.

Church o Choccy

Ken Monkou - Chelsea and Southampton defender. Seemed to slip between potentially quality and appalling mediocrity on a semi regular basis. Had a stormer for Southampton aginst United in the mid nineties.

William Prunier - played a couple of games for us, was a bit shit. I distinctly remember wondering what, as a centre back, he was doing stood on the halfway line while we defended a corner.

Steve Stone - My mate at school told me he was going to single handedly win Euro 96 for England after he scored a couple of goals in a couple of meaningless international friendlies. Never quite worked out that way for him but undoubtedly one of the best bald footballers of the 90's.

Wes

As far as the internet is concerned, Paul McGregor never existed, but he clearly did, here he is scoring for Forest to "heap more misery on Sheffield Wednesday"-

I always remember reading in match magazine that he had a band named 'Merc'. :lol:

Notingham Forest seem to have a succession of completely random, and utterly average footballers since the dawn of time.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Paul Warhurst.

Average personified, did everything, played anywhere on the pitch, got himself a winners medal and scored a fecking screamer against us one season.

Steve Froggatt

A Villa supporting mate of mine said he was amazing, he was wrong...fell off the football radar after missing a sitter for coventry one season.

Wes

Ken Monkou - Chelsea and Southampton defender. Seemed to slip between potentially quality and appalling mediocrity on a semi regular basis. Had a stormer for Southampton aginst United in the mid nineties.

William Prunier - played a couple of games for us, was a bit shit. I distinctly remember wondering what, as a centre back, he was doing stood on the halfway line while we defended a corner.

Steve Stone - My mate at school told me he was going to single handedly win Euro 96 for England after he scored a couple of goals in a couple of meaningless international friendlies. Never quite worked out that way for him but undoubtedly one of the best bald footballers of the 90's.
what was the story with William Prunier? was he on trial or what?!? really, really obscure footballer.

Steve Stone was actually quite an execellent player for his time. Notable for looking the exact same as Mark Wright in their time together at Villa.

Church o Choccy

what was the story with William Prunier? was he on trial or what?!? really, really obscure footballer..

Yeah he was on trial on Eric Cantona's recommendation as far as I remember. Supposedly a Laurent Blanc type of player he was going to train with the team for a while but injuries saw him get a couple of games for us and play almost as badly as Blanc himself would for us about 8 years later!

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Remember them all from the Premier League Sticker book...

Chris Woods? Andy Pearse? Really anyone that ever played for Sheffield Wednesday turned into a nobody.
Dan Petrescu I have fond memories of.

Wes

#71 Gary Mabutt

Centre half supermo for the mighty mighty Spurz in the 90's spent 16 years at White Hart Lane (awww.. 'ave then cnuts!!!). Strange man. Has a wierd tendency for childrens TV which I really can't explain. One came in the drama series The Queen's Nose (english nonsense program about annoying english children which i rememeber without any fondness whatsoever). Mabbutt appeared in a cameo as himself, appearing in the nick of time to help save a children's football team from defeat, the egotistical wanker that he appears to be.

Famously suffered a broken leg on the opening day of the 1996-97 season and did not return until the following campaign, after which he retired from playing as the club's longest-serving player... (awww have it then cnuts!! Mighty Spurz, mighty spurz eh eh eh, and additional Norf Landan spastication)

He remains famous in Coventry where the unofficial Coventry City fanzine is named "Gary Mabbutt's Knee", following his own goal which gave them victory in the 1987 FA Cup Final. Gary Mabutt's knee now needs regular scanning and the odd dressing here and there to protect against infection, presumably.

Gary Mabutt

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne

Alan Moore
Irish winger who played for Middlesbrough in the 90s, winning caps for Ireland in the process. Was, apparantly, described as "The Ryan Giggs of the North-East".
In summer 2004 he moved from Burnley(shit) to Shelbourne(amazing). He had a notable impact on Shelbourne's Champions League qualifying campaign, scoring crucial goals against KR Reykjavik and Hadjuk Split. He then proceeded to be paid comparitvely large wages for being injured literally all the time. He know plays, technically, for Sligo Rovers.

Not to be confused with the long-haired comic book writer of the same name.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Dan Petrescu
You Div - you've posted a picture of Fox Mulder by accident ;)

By the way, the best part of Fenton handing us the Premiership was that he was a Geordie, and all the Newcastle fans were screaming about him being a traitor.

Wes

#51 Jody Morris

Outrageous arsehole, beyond belief. Dennis Wise's apprentice who lacked any footballing skill, but managed to be a nasty little rascist shithead all the same - Good friend of John Terry's. Was one of a group of Chelsea players who drunkenly abused American tourists at Heathrow Airport within hours of the 9/11 attacks.

We were being told that he'd be a superb player for years, untill he promptly faded out to the fringes of Chelsea when they fancied winning a few things here and there. Since signed for Leeds, another bunch of cnuts, and then subsequently, Millwall, yet another nasty club full of scumbags - appeared to be enjoying himself untill he was released and like all untalented footballers in the british isles, ended up in Scotland with St. Johnstone.

Jody Morris.